Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Indy-cator shiftknob - pretty cool if you ask me (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Indy-cator shiftknob - pretty cool if you ask me by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 04-28-2007 08:05 PM
Replies: 42
Last post by: CowsPatoot on 10-05-2007 04:52 PM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Just stumbled upon this:

Indy-cator shiftknob.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
This is awesome!

Daredevil05

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Daredevil05Send a Private Message to Daredevil05Direct Link to This Post
Damn. I already bought a shiftknob from flameball. I guess I'll have to buy another Fiero, lol.

Dave
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
It's nifty, but not $170 nifty... Besides, who looks at the shifter to see what gear they are in. Wouldn't your hand kind of cover it up?

Bob
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:
It's nifty, but not $170 nifty... Besides, who looks at the shifter to see what gear they are in. Wouldn't your hand kind of cover it up?
Bob

Cute and kind of snazzy, just not something I'd spend money on.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all. Some ran the other way.

StuGood

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
It is pretty cool. Purely a gimmick, obviously doesn't do anything useful except to look cool - but it suits that purpose perfectly! What's today's word for this sort of thing? "Bling"?

"increases driving safety and helps reduce fuel consumption by up to 15 percent by means of an adapted driving style." Hehehe. You bet .

Think you could "roll your own," with a 7-segment LED display and diode-resistor logic (including the dimming feature) for considerably less. But, of course, if you gotta have LCD, plug 'n' play, and are willing to pay...

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RCR:

Bob

I stumbled on this in another thread and thought this was a must have... not just for the coolness factor, but I have an ultimate getrag shift kit with a custom short shifter it's real hard to tell 1st from 3rd or 4th from reverse, this would be nice if it really works as advertised.

It would be nice at a red light to be sure you are in first before you pull off and lug away in 3rd gear by mistake.
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2007 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post
Oops! I never thought of that. ^^ I stand corrected ^^

Okay, so it actually could be functional, like the 1st-gear indicator light think I've seen on motorcycles...

Wondered how they display "reverse" - is it indeed a 7-segment readout? Guess you could use:
__
|
|

for lower case "r" = reverse ?

[This message has been edited by StuGood (edited 04-28-2007).]

Cheever3000

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 178
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cheever3000Send a Private Message to Cheever3000Direct Link to This Post
I always thought it would be fun to show what gear you're in with an LED on the BACK of the car, for the amusement of the people behind me.
urbanairpaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for urbanairpaintSend a Private Message to urbanairpaintDirect Link to This Post
I know this sounds kinda stupid, but do you guys think this could be made to work with an automatic? I love the way it looks.
Mister

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MisterSend a Private Message to MisterDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, this might be an interesting addition with the HUD I have, matches the display... puts down on to do list...

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Doc John

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
I wonder if will work with the G6 six speed? Some one needs to but this and write a review of how it detects which gear it's in. Curly? Troy? Either of you guys want a little more bling on your cars before they roll out of Archie's shop?
MidEngineManiac

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 297
User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2007 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MidEngineManiacSend a Private Message to MidEngineManiacDirect Link to This Post
I like it !!

For $170 though, its pretty low on the priority list. I'd rather spend the cash on a new cam or something that actually makes better power, or a new engine crane ;-)
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Cool. Now I just need a shift knob that flips up to reveal an engine start button i couldn't find one. (at least not nearly as nice as the one from a Mercedes SLR)

or at least looking like this one:

edit: to fix broken picture link

[This message has been edited by Austrian Import (edited 05-01-2007).]

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Cool. Now I just need a shift knob that flips up to reveal an engine start button i couldn't find one. (at least not nearly as nice as the one from a Mercedes SLR)

That start button looks cool, but I don't see the point in putting the start button in the shift knob. You only start the car once, and why does it need to be in the shift knob?

Arns85GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Cliff I like the look of the knob, but, when it comes time to shift, my hand is already covering the display. It would, however, be a good reminder for an inexperienced driver. Thanks for sharing it.

Arn
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
OK, THIS gets major cool points!
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post
Well, I think it's cool because it's eye-candy and nothing else.

And it would fit well with my digital dashboard.

Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
Forget the digital dash Cliff, we need to talk about replacing that steering wheel of yours!
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:
That start button looks cool, but I don't see the point in putting the start button in the shift knob. You only start the car once, and why does it need to be in the shift knob?

My exact thoughts on the shift indicator LED. Nothing wrong with it, it's even cool, just not very useful IMO.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all. Some ran the other way.

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Toddster:

Forget the digital dash Cliff, we need to talk about replacing that steering wheel of yours!

Already taken care of (that's an old picture).
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

My exact thoughts on the shift indicator LED. Nothing wrong with it, it's even cool, just not very useful IMO.

But if you ever decide to convert it to an ejector seat you have a great cover story for pressing it!
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arns85GT:
...but, when it comes time to shift, my hand is already covering the display. It
Arn

I must be the only person that holds the knob like a side stick, my hand would not be on the top of the knob.
WhiteDevil88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 497
User Banned

Report this Post04-29-2007 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteDevil88Send a Private Message to WhiteDevil88Direct Link to This Post

I'd be afraid of accidently shutting my car off while shifting.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 04:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

It isn't very practical. I just figured it looks cool. Especially if I can find a company that has keyless entry. (As in the kind that unlocks the car when you approach it, and locks it when you leave. All you have to do is keep the transponder in your pocket) Then all I would have to do is push in the clutch and push the button as I put the lever into first. No extra motions.

Originally posted by WhiteDevil88:

I'd be afraid of accidently shutting my car off while shifting.

Which is why I would prefer the Mercedes SLR version. It has a cover plate. Kind of like a fighter jet has a safety switch.

Originally posted by Arns85GT:

Cliff I like the look of the knob, but, when it comes time to shift, my hand is already covering the display. It would, however, be a good reminder for an inexperienced driver. Thanks for sharing it.

Arn

Same here, even if my hand isn't on the display (I'd think just my thumb would cover the display), I usually don't look down when driving, especially when it comes time to shift. I'd prefer the indicator to be somewhere on the dash.

On some cars I drive that are stick shifts, I forget which gear I'm in after a while of driving at a constant speed. Then I always have to think where to move the lever next to either upshift or downshift. Automatics have a display on the dash (and you really don't need it as you either have the car in drive or reverse. Or have a fake "sequential" shift function, in which case you don't need to know which gear you're in IMHO) so why can't stick shifts?

-M
Fieromaniac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 04:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieromaniacClick Here to visit Fieromaniac's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieromaniacDirect Link to This Post

I must be the only person that holds the knob like a side stick, my hand would not be on the top of the knob.

just install these here then

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post

it's real hard to tell 1st from 3rd or 4th from reverse

OH COME ON !!!!!

Is that what your problem is, really????

fierobear

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearDirect Link to This Post
This would actually be helpful in the 4 speed (at least the one in the Indy). Those gears can be tough to find.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

This would actually be helpful in the 4 speed (at least the one in the Indy). Those gears can be tough to find.

I agree, 1st and reverse are not so obvious in the 4 speed...at least on mine with a sloppy shifter.
FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

I like the Start, but STOP...?

Woouldn't wanna push it by accident...

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
repost: different picture because the first one is a broken link. (don't you hate when sites you link their pictures from delete the files? :-p)

This is the button from the Mercedes McLaren SLR. Notice the cover to prevent accidental touching.

PFF
System Bot
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Another cool button, unfortunately no cover.
LeviM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeviMSend a Private Message to LeviMDirect Link to This Post

I do occasionally.

But I think that the only reason I would need this is for when other people drive my car. Most people have trouble telling the difference between first and third for some reason.

I've never had any trouble with it though.
blackrams

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2007 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

Just happen to know where you can get one, how bad you want it?

------------------
Ron

ionstorm666

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ionstorm666Send a Private Message to ionstorm666Direct Link to This Post
Since this thread hasnt been around in a while. Just wondering if anyone actually purchased this, and how it works?

[This message has been edited by ionstorm666 (edited 10-04-2007).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieromaniac:

i have a real one i got off ebay from i think an f4. i like the idea of using all the buttons since i drive with one hand resting on the stick anyway (actually even in the automatic car too). maybe use the trim switches like temporary turn signals for hiway use, a button for the horn and to flash the brights at the same time when the lights are on, a single wiper swipe in mist, wire a few switches to a radio remote for volume or scanning, etc. whatever i can figure out and make work.

zmcdonal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalDirect Link to This Post
Not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but Cliff that digital dash is sweet. Is anyone selling those, or is that a one off custom job?
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
actually... i really like the idea of the LCD gear indicator.. but just somewhere else.. how can i make this a reality?
Mr.PBody

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.PBodyClick Here to visit Mr.PBody's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.PBodyDirect Link to This Post
AmericasFuture2k posted this in his shiftknob thread. The cars with push to start cannot be shut of while driving. My friend pushed his at close to 100mph and nothing happens, the autos have a lockout where it has to be in P to function. I dunno about the sticks, I am pretty sure it has to be in N, I had a BMW 335i 6-speed for a day and it will only start in N. NOTE: the cars that have the shift knob starters are Mercedes Benz and I am the BMW guy, so I could be wrong. Last benz I was driving was a 2005 CLK with the "old" laser keys.
Gokart Mozart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 159
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2007 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gokart MozartClick Here to visit Gokart Mozart's HomePageSend a Private Message to Gokart MozartDirect Link to This Post
For those that were heavily moved by the reverse trike for sale, this would be effective with a standard motorcycle shift pattern, ie. linear 1-N-2-3-4-5.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock