Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Adding HomeLink Garage Door Opener to a Fiero (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Adding HomeLink Garage Door Opener to a Fiero by skitime
Started on: 02-10-2007 10:40 AM
Replies: 86
Last post by: skitime on 08-15-2007 07:58 AM
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
It has been a long time since I have modified my Fiero GT. This winter I was playing around (Modding) with my Pontiac Vibe and it lead to a mod on my GT. I added a Homelink opener from a donor car sunvisor to my Vibe. Homelink is a permanently wired garage door opener that can "learn" to control three devices. I am sure that there are already people that made this type of mod to their Fiero since it is so easy and less expensive then even buying a replacement garage door opener. Simply get a visor with a Homelink control, remove the control from the visor, cut hole in new location for Homelink, connect two wires, put on the bezel.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock

Click here to read the History of Skitimes Car

[This message has been edited by skitime (edited 03-05-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I liked the Homelink so much that I decided to do it to my GT. I even bought a visor type Homelink that matched the 88 GT Beechwood interior. I was not thrilled to think about dropping the T-Top headliner to do the install so I then I started studying the different Homelink modules available on Ebay. I decided to take a chance and buy a console type I thought looked like I could make it work. This model is from a Cadillac Seville, Deville, or a Eldorado overhead console control. My plan was to install it on the cigarette lighter panel. After I received it I could not believe my luck. The cigarette lighter panel has an angled surface and so did the homelink control and the angle was an almost perfect match. To prepare for the install I removed the center Fiero console and relocated the service plug behind the panel. Then I cut a hole the shape of the Homelink control in the Fiero bezel. (Center hole is for the alarm warning light)

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000

That was it. Connected the ground wire and a constant hot wire then program the unit. You can wire it with a key-on hot wire if you are worried about extra security. Now I don't have to worry about a stolen opener during car shows and cruises. It never fails that when I came home from an event I could not find where the garage door opener was hidden. It works even better than the original opener with greater range and I don't have to worry about a dead expensive remote opener battery.

wriott

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wriottSend a Private Message to wriottDirect Link to This Post
i have been thinking about this mod for a while to. but i was trying to find a way to make it work in the map light fixture. i like your idea better, looks stock to. once agian ski you have made a mod that everyone is going to want. wish i had your brain to come up some great ideas. id give you another + but can only give one so i will give you a congrats!!!

wriott
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I am doing the same mod, except, I found a homelink sunvisor that I am taking the parts out of to retrofit to my Fiero visor. I got my homelink from an Infinity. There is a local shop tha twill recover the visor for me for 25 bucks.

It has been on the back burner for a while, but I think I willl move it up on the priority list.

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
What about the wiring and the control module ?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Very cool! Thanks!
I thought there was more to the HomeLink than that.

How is the range with the transmitter mounted down in the console, instead of up in the overhead?

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-10-2007).]

CruiseCtrl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CruiseCtrlSend a Private Message to CruiseCtrlDirect Link to This Post
With all the work you put into your car, I can't even imagine how much it would be worth! How many hours of work, do you think, you have put into your car?
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PaulJK:

What about the wiring and the control module ?

There is no other control module. This mounted module learns the commands of other radio frequency openers. It then uses the same garage control module your old garage door opener did.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by Raydar:

Very cool! Thanks!
I thought there was more to the HomeLink than that.

How is the range with the transmitter mounted down in the console, instead of up in the overhead?

The range is better than to orginal garage door opener. Also you never will have weak or a dead batteries.

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Originally posted by CruiseCtrl:

With all the work you put into your car, I can't even imagine how much it would be worth! How many hours of work, do you think, you have put into your car?

I have no idea of the hours I have put in this GT. More than I care to remember. It was a labor of love so it did not seem like work.

PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
So just mount the module like you showed, hook up a positive and ground, and that's it ?
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

So just mount the module like you showed, hook up a positive and ground, and that's it ?

Yes
alex de jorge

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alex de jorgeSend a Private Message to alex de jorgeDirect Link to This Post
Skitime,

Does the module interfere with the OBD1 port?
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by alex de jorge:

Skitime,

Yes, I moved to port. You could move the port to the left but I had an alarm indicator light there so I moved it back by the ECM.

tharvey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tharveySend a Private Message to tharveyDirect Link to This Post
I like the idea of the sun visor, I have the homelink with auto dimming in my mirror however I am going to sell this mirror as I got an auto dimming mirror with compass. the rear view auto dimming mirror with home link works excellent I just wish they could have added a compass.

tim
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2007 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
wow its good to see that your still arround Ski, always loved your projects
ICouldaBeenAV8
From: Chatsworth, California; Clearwater, Florida, and Milwaukee, Wisc.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ICouldaBeenAV8Send a Private Message to ICouldaBeenAV8Direct Link to This Post
bump.
F-I-E-R-O

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 02:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for F-I-E-R-OSend a Private Message to F-I-E-R-ODirect Link to This Post
What a cool little project. I think I'll put one in mine for my garage door opener. I know it will last a long time because my wife is the one who mainly gets to park in there...
Riceburner98

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
I had a typical sunvisor-mount homelink module that had been kicking around for a while, and just last week I was going to install it into my new tC. Not sure if all of the modules are created equal (this one was probably from 98-99 or so) but inside this one the switch board was seperate from the main board, and connected by a short ribbon cable. (8 wires or so?) Basically I extended those wires about 1 foot with computer ribbon cable, then cut the case in half so I had just enough case for the buttons to fit into and the litte trim ring to clip onto. Put the main board in the rest of the case, and I now have a 2-piece module where the buttons / LED / trim bezel are really small and can be mounted almost anywhere. I would take a picture of it but can't find it right now.. I didn't install it in the tC because I bought an autodimming / Homelink mirror, so I think I'll save it for the Fiero. (was going to make a couple holes in the headliner for the buttons / bezel, but decided not to since I didn't want to risk the headliner..) I think it could easily be mounted in an overhead console this way, with or without the standard homelink bezel attached. (just have to mount the remote button panel inside, then carve the holes for the buttons and LED) If I can find the module and a spare overhead console I may try it out and post some pics.. Should look pretty stock, like Skitime's! Good job on that thing btw!

------------------
Bob Williams
Working on the next 3800 swap.. Missing the one that worked!

[This message has been edited by Riceburner98 (edited 02-11-2007).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

I had no idea it was that simple. This is definitely on my list of things to do. I have homelink in my truck but haven't taken the time to figure out how to program it. Thanks for the tip.
PFF
System Bot
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
Ski,
This is something you should consider mass producing and selling. It may be an easy mod to do but getting all the parts together and assembling takes time. This might be something to help pay for that next major mod. I know I'd be interested.

------------------
Ron
Land of the Free because of the Brave. Most gave some, some gave all. Some ran the other way.

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 02-11-2007).]

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2007 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blackrams:

Ski,
This is something you should consider mass producing and selling. It may be an easy mod to do but getting all the parts together and assembling takes time. This might be something to help pay for that next major mod. I know I'd be interested.

http://www.homelink.com/home/home.tml

------------------
"Most of us inhabit at least two worlds: the Real World, where we are at the mercy of circumstance, and the world within, the unconscious, a safe place, where we can escape.

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2007 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
I've had this in my gold car for about a year now and it's great. Mine is built into the rear view mirror; a Gentex GENK-51 that does HomeLink as well as compass and temperature. From time to time they show up on Ebay for an almost reasonable price.

I did mine this way because there's a limited number of places to add "gizmos" to a Fiero. This leaves room for other things in the dash panels...
gaas88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gaas88Click Here to visit gaas88's HomePageSend a Private Message to gaas88Direct Link to This Post
Ski,
This is a great little mod. I'm a simple kind of guy and it would be nice if this was added to your "History" thread so that it's all in one place. Not telling you what to do but that thread is a masterpiece in the evolution of "How to customize a Fiero" Am I the only one that thinks this way???
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Location of a garage door opener.

No wiring relocation required.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 02-27-2007).]

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gaas88:

Ski,
This is a great little mod. I'm a simple kind of guy and it would be nice if this was added to your "History" thread so that it's all in one place. Not telling you what to do but that thread is a masterpiece in the evolution of "How to customize a Fiero" Am I the only one that thinks this way???

Thanks, yes I will have to add it to the thread. Thanks for the reminder.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Very nice addition Ski.

Glad to see you back modding on the GT !

Just a fantastic car.

Ok so what's next !??? hehehehe

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2007 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Skitime,

Just for the record isn't your car OBD-2?

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Nope, I converted to the Series 1 ECM so I could have a custom tune. So it is an OBD1.
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2007 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

skitime

5765 posts
Member since Aug 2000

Skitime,

Yes, as I mentioned in the orginal post I moved the port.

PFF
System Bot
88FieroForm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroFormSend a Private Message to 88FieroFormDirect Link to This Post
Ok I just ordered one of these from e-bay, and received it today. On the one skitime did it seems to have two different spades that he connected connectors to, the one I received has one large one, so what do I do? I can post a pic of what Im talking about if needed. Thanks for your help. I am looking forward to this mod in my cars.
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2007 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88FieroForm:

Ok I just ordered one of these from e-bay, and received it today. On the one skitime did it seems to have two different spades that he connected connectors to, the one I received has one large one, so what do I do? I can post a pic of what Im talking about if needed. Thanks for your help. I am looking forward to this mod in my cars.

The large single spade has slot cut in it but not to the outside edge. All I did was file this slot to the outside so I had two spades instead of on large one.

Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
Not to rain on your parade, it's a neat idea, but let me tell you something that happened to me, which really could happen to anyone.

Both of my daily driver cars have the HomeLink for the garage and such. One day we left my wife's car outside, doing work on the GT. Anyway, some thieves broke into her car and activated the garage door and opened it, darn thing is too quiet. They got me for over $4000 in tools. They would have gotten more except they dropped my 6500 watt generator and ran, thats what woke me up. They had been casing the nieghborhood for a few weeks according to the police back in June. Still haven't gotten any of my tools back. You just never know who is checking out your garage for a break-in.

Dave, if your like me, you always park your car inside, but it's that one time that will get you. Before the homelink I would always just grab the opener and take it inside if I Ieft the car out.

------------------
87 Fiero GT
Yellow / Grey Interior
T-Top, 11.26" brakes, Lowered 2"
Whaletail, Mecham Scoops, ZR2 Scoop
T/A Fender Vents, Mr. Mikes, Much Much More

86 SE Red - 3400 SFI

86 SE Gold - Parts Car - scrap yard

Formerly FieroGT87 [/URL]

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 03-06-2007).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skitime:

That was it. Connected the ground wire and a constant hot wire then program the unit. You can wire it with a key-on hot wire if you are worried about extra security. \

jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 01:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

Anyway, some thieves broke into her car and activated the garage door and opened it, darn thing is too quiet.

Nice warning, but for the person hooking this up themselves, just hook it to the accessory power. No key, no garage door open.
silversurfer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silversurferSend a Private Message to silversurferDirect Link to This Post
I love the idea.Now when I get the garage built in a few months I'll be junkyard scouting so I don't have to worry about my 2 year old losing my control.
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Nice warning, but for the person hooking this up themselves, just hook it to the accessory power. No key, no garage door open.

John, won't the homelink lose the program with no power? Key off. I've never really looked at one of these units before. My Yukon XL and the wifes Impala both work with the key off, so they must be hot all the time.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Earl-R:

John, won't the homelink lose the program with no power? Key off. .

I have no idea, but if there are only two wires, (power and ground), then you are probably right. I suppose it's possible to open up the unit and disable the transmitter if the ignition is off. I wanted to rewire all my trunk poppers to only open with ignition power. Funny my 84 seems to already be that way. Something interesting to think about. Hmmmmm.
Earl-R

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2007 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Earl-RSend a Private Message to Earl-RDirect Link to This Post
Dave, since you've already did this, does the Homelink unit lose it's programming if the 12v power is removed? Just curious.

John, your right about the 84's and a bunch of other GM cars, it seems to be pot luck sometimes on how a car is wired up, it varies from year to year. (In his best Forest Gump voice) It's like a box of chocolates............................................

[This message has been edited by Earl-R (edited 03-06-2007).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock