Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Black Betty Build! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 
Previous Page | Next Page
Black Betty Build! by BobadooFunk
Started on: 08-28-2006 04:50 PM
Replies: 528
Last post by: Formula on 07-01-2007 12:24 AM
BobadooFunk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
Ok well as most already know... ive had a pretty long streak of bad luck... lots of stuff stolen, car died after 2 weeks..., and the worst fever ive ever had...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/061142.html

fast forward to now... i own 3 Fieros, and none of them work!!

id like to change that!!

This is the official Black Betty back to life thread!

so today i set out to see where i was in parts and what i needed.

i need a new head cause this one has not only part of a bolt stuck in it.. but the female part is worn away..

this might be salvageable.. but alot of work to do vs if someone has an extra one laying around that they dont mind giving a good home!

the hoses are broked.. ill need those as well...

and just for fun i did some mocking up..

Alex was cleanin up the cyl s a little..

also.... after looking through everything i had... i then realized.. i have no bolts for a Fiero!! (a whole 3800 na tho..)

so... anyone got some bolts laying around

im also gonna put a post in the mall later specifically for parts i need as i go along..

------------------

See my lame film creations..
See F-I-E-R-O's Fiero store!

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 09-10-2006).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
Santa Claus stopped by today!

and here is one of the car!

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 08-28-2006).]

buger_57

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buger_57Send a Private Message to buger_57Direct Link to This Post
saw a pic on your myspace...pretty...

------------------

1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BobadooFunk:

Santa Claus stopped by today!

and here is one of the car!

Okay. Am I the only one who is only getting these ugly photo bucket things where a picture should be? Thank god this didn't happen when he posted pictures of Alex!

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1MohrFiero (edited 08-28-2006).]

ohioindy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohioindyClick Here to visit ohioindy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohioindyDirect Link to This Post
Hey I went all the way to PA and back and didn't see Alex
What does she think of the car?
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1MohrFiero:

Okay. Am I the only one who is only getting these ugly photo bucket things where a picture should be? Thank god this didn't happen when he posted pictures of Alex!

yea... i usually use imageshack but it was being all jerk like..

but i fixed it

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2006 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003

Originally posted by ohioindy:

Hey I went all the way to PA and back and didn't see Alex
What does she think of the car?

Alex really wished she could have met peoples but she had to work

maybe if theres a next time....

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Ok well as most already know... ive had a pretty long streak of bad luck... lots of stuff stolen, car died after 2 weeks..., and the worst fever ive ever had...

fast forward to now... i own 3 Fieros, and none of them work!!

id like to change that!!

This is the official Black Betty back to life thread!

so today i set out to see where i was in parts and what i needed.

i need a new head cause this one has not only part of a bolt stuck in it.. but the female part is worn away..

can you post a close up of the problem with the head?
Clint

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 77
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ClintClick Here to visit Clint's HomePageSend a Private Message to ClintDirect Link to This Post

Hey bud, you still need new heads? I've got a set all boxed up and ready to go if you do. IM me (you have my IM)
-clint

------------------
-Nickster

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Clint:

Hey bud, you still need new heads? I've got a set all boxed up and ready to go if you do. IM me (you have my IM)
-clint

mesaage sent!
Clint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClintClick Here to visit Clint's HomePageSend a Private Message to ClintDirect Link to This Post
Heads are shipped. Enjoy!

------------------
-Nickster

PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
clint you have PM
Clint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2006 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClintClick Here to visit Clint's HomePageSend a Private Message to ClintDirect Link to This Post
Did the heads show up? Where they what you needed?

------------------
-Nickster

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
indeed ! thanks!! waiting on some Fierostore goodies... i might do some work fri morning.. but prolly not... im working 13 hours tomorrow.. then 7 on fri.. if im lucky i might do some work sat night.. but i think i have sunday off so if i do i will definately do alot of work then!
BekaintaFunk

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 02:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BekaintaFunkSend a Private Message to BekaintaFunkDirect Link to This Post
This just reminds me of how I don't have to work for the next 4 days! woohoo! sooo since Jerry is at work and I rode Jamesesesez bike alll the way to Pep Boys to get engine cleaner (which wasn't that far anyways), I'm gonna go see what I can do to get those heads a lil more sparkely Thanks Clint! now we can get moving on this!
Clint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2006 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClintClick Here to visit Clint's HomePageSend a Private Message to ClintDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad they are finally getting used

------------------
-Nickster

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

hardware!!
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

hardware!!

in case your wondering, starting from left to right, top - head bolts (outside valve cover), next looks like rear/rear cradle bolts, ? not too familiar with the next bolt?, next looks like rear cradle, front bolts, next from left to right bottom - head bolts (Inside valve cover), upper plenum bolts (2 medium ones hold on bracket for cable control)(1 small one 8mm 12 point wrench/socket attaches to the small metal coolant tubes.

looks like your missing lower and mid intake bolts, valve cover bolts, waterpump bolts, anything else I missed?

btw, please tell me you have a torque wrench and the proper torque specs or someone nearby is helping you, and you will need some sealant for the valve cover,theres a small part you have to use sealant on where the lower intake and the head meet on the valve cover gasket surface, I prefer the permatex copper stuff (hi-temp) its ugly as crap and gets all over the f-n place but imho its the best stuff

I might not sound myself, its 5am-ish and im a bit cranky ;0
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Back On Holiday:

in case your wondering, starting from left to right, top - head bolts (outside valve cover), next looks like rear/rear cradle bolts, ? not too familiar with the next bolt?, next looks like rear cradle, front bolts, next from left to right bottom - head bolts (Inside valve cover), upper plenum bolts (2 medium ones hold on bracket for cable control)(1 small one 8mm 12 point wrench/socket attaches to the small metal coolant tubes.

looks like your missing lower and mid intake bolts, valve cover bolts, waterpump bolts, anything else I missed?

btw, please tell me you have a torque wrench and the proper torque specs or someone nearby is helping you, and you will need some sealant for the valve cover,theres a small part you have to use sealant on where the lower intake and the head meet on the valve cover gasket surface, I prefer the permatex copper stuff (hi-temp) its ugly as crap and gets all over the f-n place but imho its the best stuff

I might not sound myself, its 5am-ish and im a bit cranky ;0

yes i do own a torque wrench, a chiltons, and sealant (hi temp)

the single bolt is for the exhaust manifold... they forgot to put the rest in the package!

i do still neew all the bolts you mentioned except water pump.. its still on!

any one got some simple shots of a stock 2.8? just so i can see where some other misc. stuff goes..

Richjk21

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Richjk21Send a Private Message to Richjk21Direct Link to This Post

any one got some simple shots of a stock 2.8? just so i can see where some other misc. stuff goes..

See if you can get ahold of Jazzman and get a copy of his CD it was a godsend when I put the new 2.8 longblock in my 86 GT
cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
try to find out if that is an old waterpump. If it is and there is any doubt about its integrity, you may want to change it now while the engine has less parts in the way. Hopefully you can just use it as is though...

[This message has been edited by cptsnoopy (edited 09-08-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

try to find out if that is an old waterpump. If it is and there is any doubt about its integrity, you may want to change it now while the engine has less parts in the way. Hopefully you can just use it as is though...

I agree totally, the cost of replacing it now < if you had to do it later down the road. plus you will need to remove it for a core.
fierostore has them 46-50$ depending on 86/87/88 models. if you go the napa/autozone/pep boys make sure it has metal impeller not plastic, when I ordered I think it was $27, rebuilt and they tried to give me a plastic impeller at first, made them get me the metal one. they wont know til it comes in (if not in stock)

hardware!!

yes i do own a torque wrench, a chiltons, and sealant (hi temp)
hehe good, you said limited tools I got worried you were going to slap it all in

the single bolt is for the exhaust manifold... they forgot to put the rest in the package!

that bolt looks like a 15mm bolt, if thats for an exaust manifold im guessing 4 cyl? otherwise it looks like one of the bolts that goes into the head for the Alt bracket.
the exaust manifold bolts are much smaller (10mm if I recall?)

i do still neew all the bolts you mentioned except water pump.. its still on!

I might be up and about sunday looking for something easy to do like get some lower/mid intake and valve cover bolts for you. you have all 3 bolts that mount the alt bracket to the engine? any other bolts you think your missing let me know ill send a care package monday.
thermastat housing bolts? (2- 10mm)
I dont have any exaust manifold bolts, I wouldnt re-use used ones anyway either.
suggest:
http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html
cost aprox $22 for socket needed and all studs/nuts needed for both manifolds.

keep us informed (wtb pics!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2006 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

lower/mid intake
valve cover bolts
thermastat housing bolts (2- 10mm)

cost aprox $22 for socket needed and all studs/nuts needed for both manifolds.

those are what i have one of! but i think ill get em from Rodney since they come with socket!

yea if you could get those bolts it would be GREAT!!!!

i still gotta buy a socket for the top intake bolts...

LOTS of pix on sunday, i promise... ive been working ALOT this week... but most of sunday and monday are dedicated to the car.. i am going to do as much as i can, with what i have... but i garuntee im gonna get stopped short due to missing hardware!

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 09-09-2006).]

Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2006 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

those are what i have one of! but i think ill get em from Rodney since they come with socket!

yea if you could get those bolts it would be GREAT!!!!

i still gotta buy a socket for the top intake bolts...

LOTS of pix on sunday, i promise... ive been working ALOT this week... but most of sunday and monday are dedicated to the car.. i am going to do as much as i can, with what i have... but i garuntee im gonna get stopped short due to missing hardware!

top intake bolts need a 12 point 13mm socket. make sure you are able to use your torque wrench with the socket unless you have 1/2 to 3/8 conversion sockets.

edit: if you order from rodney over the weekend, you will have them in your hands by tuesday night. he ships USPS mon/wed/fri mornings if I recall

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 09-09-2006).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2006 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ok heads on, not torqed just yet

got a question here...
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/076708.html

gaskets

one head

two heads are better than one...

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 09-10-2006).]

BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2006 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003
ok so i need all the hardware for this lower intake!

also in this pic, lower right of the lower intake, does that coolant outlet connect directly to water pump?

and the middle as well!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2006 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

BobadooFunk

5436 posts
Member since Jun 2003

valve cover bolts, lower and mid intake bolts, therm housing bolts, a couple other misc things going out UPS monday u should see them tuesday.

YAY!!!!
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2006 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

ok so i need all the hardware for this lower intake!

also in this pic, lower right of the lower intake, does that coolant outlet connect directly to water pump?

and the middle as well!

hardware for middle, lower intake going out monday will be there tuesday via UPS.
also included some bracket bolts, distributer hold down bolt/bracket, valve cover bolts and a bag of misc bolts.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2006 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

hardware for middle, lower intake going out monday will be there tuesday via UPS.
also included some bracket bolts, distributer hold down bolt/bracket, valve cover bolts and a bag of misc bolts.

you didnt happen to label em did you?

tstroud

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tstroudSend a Private Message to tstroudDirect Link to This Post
I hope you torqued those head bolts before putting in the push rods.
If you try to torque those head bolts with the pushrods in place you will get inadequate head gasket compression because of the pushrods pushing up on the head and it will affect the torquing procedure. Then you will have head gasket problems later.
Tommys86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tommys86Send a Private Message to Tommys86Direct Link to This Post
That water pump is only 6 months old...Changed it myself. You should have called, I hadnt realized that you needed all that. I thought I had put all the bolts and stuff in the trunk. If there is anything else let me know. \
Tommy
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I'm with the guy above, but I'm sure you didn't tighten the head bolts with the rockers in place, thats too simple to overlook. You should have put the intake gaskets on before the pushrods though.
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

I'm with the guy above, but I'm sure you didn't tighten the head bolts with the rockers in place, thats too simple to overlook. You should have put the intake gaskets on before the pushrods though.

actually im glad he mentioned it cause i didnt know...

but today Alex loosened the rocker arms and took out the pushrods, THEN i torqued the head bolts (1st step, 18lbs, 2nd 35-40lbs, 3rd 65-90 lbs). yesterday i just snugged the bolts

now i am patiently awaiting a care package from Back On Holiday so i can put the gasket on , then the pushrods

thanks and +'s to ANYONE who has given and continues to give me tips! and PLEASE continue to do so as i put this thing together because this is a first for me... i have disassembled a 2.8 before, but not reassembled...

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 09-12-2006).]

topher_time

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topher_timeSend a Private Message to topher_timeDirect Link to This Post
In this pic here, your intake manifold is on backwards, just thought I should let you know.

That outlet is actually a vacuum port for the idle control circuit. Is has a small tube that connects into the back of the throttle body. The cold start injector mounts in the large hole below it. I just finished building my 3.4 so most of this is still fresh in whats left of my brain .
Back On Holiday

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

you didnt happen to label em did you?

I did better than that, I took pics of them - printed them out in draft quality full sheet paper and marked/circled them and taped them onto the paper with arrows and such. the package includes the following:
2 felpro gaskets (head/intake) 2 O-rings - not sure which one is for distributer but they are both yours(they are enclosed in blue painters tape attached to the gaskets), 2 clear plastic bags of fasteners... each bag is like 10x12 size, 1 bag has a piece of paper with a note in it from me, with some misc fasteners I grabbed that I was certain were for brackets and such, the 2nd bag has like 10 pictures (8x10) with fasteners attached, so be careful removing them from the bag. and there are some of those pain in the a$$ packing peanuts in there also, sorry I hate them but I didnt want the stuff rattling around in the box.
Andrew
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
WOW!! i appreciate you help SO much!! (as does Alex!)

thanks!
shawnkfl

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shawnkflSend a Private Message to shawnkflDirect Link to This Post
do you still need stock manifolds? Y pipe?
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2006 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
indeed!
BobadooFunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BobadooFunkClick Here to visit BobadooFunk's HomePageSend a Private Message to BobadooFunkDirect Link to This Post
ok!

where does this one go?

and where does this coolant??! outlet conect to? (and i now know its backwards)

[This message has been edited by BobadooFunk (edited 09-12-2006).]

3800superfast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 191
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2006 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800superfastSend a Private Message to 3800superfastDirect Link to This Post
The gasket is a spare that fits something else, --I think we all have those laying around. You have to turn that intake around--I walked 1000 feet in the pouring rain to check your next question...no worries I like rain, ok on the back or under side of your throttle body, you`ll see a hole about that size, (iac) a metal elbow is supposed to come out back there, (t.b.) then it does a 90 degree to that lower intake thingie (real techie here) you have circled, but there is a small piece of air hose that connects the 2 toghter at the lower intake.. Hope this helps some.....
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 14 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock