Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Another L67 swap and some pics.. Thoughts? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Another L67 swap and some pics.. Thoughts? by 86fieroEarl
Started on: 03-05-2006 07:58 PM
Replies: 69
Last post by: 86fieroEarl on 07-31-2006 03:34 PM
86fieroEarl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Been mostly working on my swap, I found another L-67 with only 20k miles out of a 2002 grandprix, I bought the engine for it's supercharger and some other needed parts, But ended up using this due to this being a extreamly clean engine, When I took the waterpump off the dang thing looked brandnew inside. The compression check was nice as well ( 210 on all cyls ) My other L 67 Im going to rebuild as well ( need pistons) and use it for a backup or something.

All painted up and ready to go, Im going to be using my own mounting system and making my own low mount alt setup.

My friend and co worker has a 57 chevy he's restoring ( seen barely in the pic) And he's putting in a 350 chevy, I had to do compression checks on both of our engines, Mine came out good but one of his cyls on his 350 indicated low compression . So I will have to pull the heads on his 350 to see wtf is wrong.

Our helper killiem This dog looks mean, But he's a very nice and a Hyper dog, I just about crapped my pants when I first came over and I seen him hauling towards me LOL ( he wanted to play)

Welp more pics to come and I just wanted to show a bit of progress.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Another view

Still waiting for my modular pulley system and TB Spacer to come, Ps the supercharger oil on these things smell like SH@t

This engine will have just a 3.4 pulley, TB spacers, Ported exhaust manifolds, Custom programed PCM and a intercooler (supercharger is not bolted down in pic)

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-05-2006).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86fieroEarl:

Another view

... the supercharger oil on these things smell like SH@t

I will second that! Mine was leaking out of the snout about 2 years ago, and I could not figure what the heck that smell was. Everytime I as at a light, and if the wind caught it just right.... ewwww! I popped the decklid when I madee it home, and got it figued out pretty fast.

It's been a while since I had to buy any oil for it, but at the time, GMpartsdirect.com had the best prices. The dealer wanted an ungodly amount for the small 2.5 oz bottle, and if my memory is right, it takes about three and a half bottles.

3800GMCC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3800GMCCSend a Private Message to 3800GMCCDirect Link to This Post

Ps the supercharger oil on these things smell like SH@t

Yep, I spilt some on a wooden work bench about a month ago and my shop still smells like crap.

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2006 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
screw the gm oil. go to a parts store and get mobil 1 15w50 extended performance. Thats what whipple and kenne bell recommend for their blowers. Works great in eatons too.
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Quick question. Im going to be using OBD 1 with my 4t60 E, I was at several yards today and only could find 94 and 95 bonnevilles with 3800 NA engines, I was going to pick up the harness and computer from one of those.... Will the computer and the pcm's from the 94 and 95 bonnevilles with 3800 NA engines work? Or do they have to be from a sc 1 bonneville ?
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
That is one beautiful engine. It is exactly the color combo I am planning for my car. You beat me to it. Mine will be goin into a black 88GT. What color is the patient that's receiving the heart transplant?

------------------
The Steel Lady: Pix to follow........

Super Bowl XL CHAMPS!!!

[This message has been edited by Fiero1Fan (edited 03-06-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

That is one beautiful engine. It is exactly the color combo I am planning for my car. You beat me to it. Mine will be goin into a black 88GT. What color is the patient that's receiving the heart transplant?

Thanks for the complement and sorry to beat you to the color

here's the Receiving patient

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-11-2006).]

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I knew it!!! Black!!!! Good choice in my opinion. I am a Steelers fan and that is reason for the Black and Yellow coloring. Here is a pic of the interior I have.

What was your inspiration for the colors?

Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005
Are you planning any exterior mods? Here is the thread on how far I have come with my 88. Let me know what you think.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/056510.html
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

I knew it!!! Black!!!! Good choice in my opinion. I am a Steelers fan and that is reason for the Black and Yellow coloring. Here is a pic of the interior I have.

What was your inspiration for the colors?

Sweet.... I was planning on doing my interior like that as well, I still need to get the black carpet and replace my sets with MR mikes set kit, It's nice to have others share the same taste in colors.

My exterior mods im planning on going with a chin spoiler and some nice side scoops ( Iike the ones you have on your car) Your going to have a pretty sweet looking fiero when your done, I always loved that style on the front nose.

PS were did you get your set covers from ?

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-06-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

"you wanna be lunch, or dinner?"

[This message has been edited by Philphine (edited 03-06-2006).]

freshfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freshfieroSend a Private Message to freshfieroDirect Link to This Post
I've got a Rotty that looks pretty mean too, also my lil' shop helper, Dog will wet itself if the pizza guy comes to the door. lol oh well hey nice looking project! I wimped out and am having mine done away from home. -gary-
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Nice engine. I'm sure you will never regret upgrading from the 4.9.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2006 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

PS were did you get your set covers from ?

Mr. Mikes!!! Where else? The only place to buy.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Fooled around with the tensioner system, I did not use this setup.

Decided to go with this setup instead. The circled part is were im going to be putting a 5 or 6 groove pulley( whatever the GTP uses), This bracket has several openings, One of them will be plugged, i Also had to cut some of this bracket off to fit around the Fiero low mount alt ( you will see in tommorrows pics.

Transmission cleaned up and ready to paint, Question on the 4t60 E I think the torc converter is a 245 mm( not sure) And the 3800 sc 2s are 258mm. Can I just buy a 4t65E Torc converter and mate it to the 4t60E ?

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-08-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2006 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Subframe almost ready for welding mounts and painting.

I usaully replace the water pumps on swaps, But this engine was soo clean the water pump looked new.

Here's a pic of the old pump LOL

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 10:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Pics of the tensioner system I made, I did not have a gtp supercharger bracket (Only the Buicks) And the buicks sticks out too far so I decided to make due what I have This required some more stupid welding,

I cut the arm off the Buick's bracket and made my own that set closer and would not interfere with my decklid hinge or firewall.

Getting ready for welding( I hate welding ), I Drilled a hole and welded a nut behind the square plate then used a 2 sided bolt (The bolts that attach our transmission on one side and used for a ground on the other side)

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-10-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2006 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Arm cut off and grounded flat for bracket.

Some pics of what I did for that stupid bracket.

A few more

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-10-2006).]

GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2006 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTSend a Private Message to GTDirect Link to This Post
Hey Earl-

Sorry to see you've gone to the dark side! Just kidding, the engine looks great, keep up the good work.

-Rick

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2006 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Ported headers, These was done when I had the garage (stupid home owners association won't let you work on your car with the garage doors up, They have to stay closed), But now im at a friends house, This guy is awsome.. He's a 57 chevy guy. Im helping him with his chevy 350 engine. He also was nice enough to provide a place for me to work on my car and engine. Each car is under tents, So no problems with rain. I still do work in my garage but only the small things.

I basically hogged out the front manifold and rewelded the tubes on the outside ( For some reason GM decided to weld on the inside and caused bigtime restrictions.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-11-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2006 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
I am so jealous of that engine I could just spit!!!! Are you sure you don't want to put a V8 in there and give me the lil 3800? I'll even give you a buck or two for it.
Fiero1Fan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2006 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post

Fiero1Fan

4364 posts
Member since Sep 2005

My exterior mods im planning on going with a chin spoiler and some nice side scoops ( Iike the ones you have on your car) Your going to have a pretty sweet looking fiero when your done, I always loved that style on the front nose.

If your interested in the scoops or nose let me know.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

I am so jealous of that engine I could just spit!!!! Are you sure you don't want to put a V8 in there and give me the lil 3800? I'll even give you a buck or two for it.

The v8 is the engine that is coming out and become replaced with the 3800

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-12-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
Some of my parts came in yesterday from zz Performance

My ZZP Modular Pulley System

The huge pulley puller (If anyone in the orlando area needs to use a pulley puller for the 3800sc 2 engines Let me know)

TB spacer, supercharger gasket and my oil filter housing gasket, The intercooler will have to wait, Since this swap is adding up very quick and so far im $2000 bucks into the swap (not including the car) In the middle of april I will have $2000 more bucks plus even more when I sell my old engine drivetrain and engine setup, Ready to go with a spec clutch ( Already sold buyer is waiting for me to pull it so he can pick her up) Im still waiting on my machined flexplate so I can weld up and do the mounts (will see later) The items I still have to get is about $1000 dollars in more stuff (unless I go with the HD 4t60E)

ok now for more pics

TB spacer installed to keep intake temps down a bit im also using a 3 1/2 inch dia open element filter

Here is my cutout and I will be retaining the original coolant setup (Without having to block off anything for the heater pipe) I basically cut this bracket for the fitment of the lowmount fiero bracket.

Pic of the pulley installed and the original elbows used with my belt setup

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
I will be using a 5 mounting system 2 transmission mounts, 2 engine mounts and the dogbone bracket

Throttle cable and and few brackets installed. This will be mounted to the transmission and subframe next week, Then I start on the fun part (Wires) I will still be using the stock fuel rail (painted black)

OBD 1 computer 95 Bonneville

List of things still needed.

Engine compartment insulation (WCF

Battery relocation kit (WCF

AC compressor (Autoparts store

Alt (autoparts store

Battery (autoparts store

Axles (autoparts store + getting dirty)

Ignition modual

Wireharness + fuse box

ect

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2006 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Ipicked up a used module with coil packs on ebay really cheap! Check out ed Morad's eBay store. He secializes in used 3800 parts.

What Alternator are you going to use?

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2006 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Finally worked on her some more, Got her mounted on the transmission and subframe to make the mounts, The transmission will be sent in and rebuilt ....so this is just a temp job so I can make the engine mounts. The transmission will have the black and yellow colors as well.

Was barely able to make the back firewall mount, I will finish this mount up and make the other tommorrow.

This engine will use 2 mounts for the transmission 2 for the engine and a dogbone when done, The mount in the pics will have a bracket welded to the subframe when done, And I will be using 2 poly urathan tranny mounts for 2 of the engine mounts.

So far im $2000bucks into this LOL (That's including the engine in it) And I still have the alt, Ac compressor, Battery relocation kit, WCF fierowall kit, Walbro fuel pump, OBD 1 chip custom programed, Axles and other odds and ends. If I already did not have the exhaust then add another $300bucks LOL.

So I can say for the record that most L 67 swaps will cost well over 2k when done, My target price will be around $3200 when complete (I hope)

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 03-18-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2006 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by topcat:

What Alternator are you going to use?

Im going with the fiero alt using the low mount fiero bracket.

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
Did a little bit of changing Went to the jerry's and pow a 97 GTP sitting right there, Needless to say I snagged the wire harness and computer, Im going back up there tommorrow or monday for the supercharger tensioner bracket, And it happens that the same ppl that sold me the engine still has the 2002 GTP 4t65E HD transmission with 23k miles as well (same as my engine)

So now instead of going OBD 1and using a 4t60E Im going to be using OBD 2 and the 4t65E HD transmission, Will have more build info tommorrow.

ignorant prodigy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2006 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyDirect Link to This Post
2000 seems a little high for where you are..

the TB spacer IMO doesn't do a whole heck of a lot.. The air is still going into the s/c and getting heated up after the fact.. and it's only going through that part of the intake for a split second.. hardly long enough to make any kind of difference.

The water pumps on these engines normally last a good long while... and if it was under 100K I wouldn't bother..

but again thats just me...

looks good

btw good decision on the HD tranny.. the l67 makes too much power for the other tranny and would surely break it.

[This message has been edited by ignorant prodigy (edited 03-24-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
More updates I finally started my wire harness, Im using a 97 gtp harness and computer, I got the injectors, Ignition system (almost done) and some of the splicing going to the 203 connector, I pretty much went sensor by sensor for a clean wire harness look ( I hope)

So far everything is straight forward except with the o2 sensor I believe they changed the wire color codes in 2002 (engine is out of a 2002 gtp) So I have to figure that out to finish up the O2 sensor part using the diagrams from a 97 (won't be too hard to figure out).

So far im going to end up running all my injectors hot side (pink wires) Off of one 12v ref (J connector) going to the 203 connector, My ignition wire for the ignition modual ect (pink wire) Will be ran off the 12v supply going from the c 500 fiero connector, Power feed for the ecm will be run off of (F). I still got quite a bit for splicing and sensors to go, But it is coming together easy. I also think all those who is going with the stickshift setup are lucky mofos, Way less wires to deal with and more wires to delete.

I also finished engine mount number 2, Still need to make the dogbone bracket (won't be made until it's in the car) Oh yeah I also painted the fuel rail black.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 04-01-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
After brain storming and wondering wtf was im going to do for the heater and waterpump setup I decided to just stay with the simple stock plastic elbows and have it go into a T for the heater hose. This is the buick setup for the L67s, Both of those outlets will join into a T and plug into the single fiero heater hose.

No blocking off No drilling and tapping, All almost stock baby

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 04-01-2006).]

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Isn't one of those an IN, and the other an OUT. Joining them together wouldn't do too much for your heat..
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2006 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
I could always either block one off (not too hard) Or weld a nossel onto the therm cap and run another line,

So many choices

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post
A little update what I did today.

I decided to go with the HD unit and had to get that puppy mounted on the subframe, I was able to use the stock location mounts, The original tranny cooler lines need to be ran different. The transmission is from a 97 sc buick regal and my wire harness and computer is from a 97 grand prix with a sc 2 engine, My engine is out of a 2002 grandprix with a 3800 sc 2.

I made my own low mount for the alt by using the fiero alt bracket, I had to cut some off so it would mount.

I also started to clean the engine bay. I will be using the two coolant pipes and running them to hook up to the stock 3800 coolant passages.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 04-16-2006).]

86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2006 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

86fieroEarl

2203 posts
Member since Jun 2002
, My trunk was already cut out so this is the setup im running, Its a 2 1/2 dia running into a flowmaster 80 series.

This engine will be going in at the end of next week and I still need to finish my wire harness, I also replaced all the sensors, I don't want to end up replacing any of them when the engine is in the car.

Tommorrow I will be running my fuel lines and doing a bit of work on the car itself.

[This message has been edited by 86fieroEarl (edited 04-16-2006).]

delicioso

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post04-16-2006 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deliciosoSend a Private Message to deliciosoDirect Link to This Post
So is it in the car yet?
86fieroEarl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fieroEarlSend a Private Message to 86fieroEarlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by delicioso:

So is it in the car yet?

No it's not like seen in the pics

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2006 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

OBD 1 chip custom programed

But then you said you were using OBD2 out of a 97???????

Also, 98 and 97 wiring is SPECIFIC to 97's and 98's 99-02 use the same wiring. 97's have 100% totally differnt wiring then any other L67's as they use the gen1 pcm. 98's and 97's will run fine with the same computer, but the PCM's and harnesses are not interchangeable. 99's use a different MAF sensor, and I think there are a few other minor reasons why they are not recommended to work. I assume that any year wiring/pcm can be programed to work on any year motor, just somthing to keep in mind.

Again, confused about the OBD1 custom chip programming you stated that you needed earlier.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 04-20-2006).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock