Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  IT RUNS....... I Started the 3.5 today!!!!!!!! (Page 4)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
IT RUNS....... I Started the 3.5 today!!!!!!!! by Rickady88GT
Started on: 10-27-2003 05:20 PM
Replies: 130
Last post by: 88White3.4GT on 12-07-2006 01:50 PM
RUNDLC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RUNDLCSend a Private Message to RUNDLCDirect Link to This Post
Hey Rick maybe I can get you to come north up the 99 about two hours and help with my swap!!

RUNDLC
IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierari:

I added the archives and found a lot of info standard searches had overlooked. But I still have some questions. I guess the biggest is was it really necessary to replace/move the cradle front cross piece? Does the 3.5 have mounts on the side of the engine? Do you have any more details on that part of the swap? Did you have to fabricate all the mounts (from scratch). Did using the pressurized coolant overflow bottle solve some unique issue with connecting the 3.5 to the Fiero cooling system or did you do it just because? Did you have to change the air filter box for the one from the intrigue? For some reason that seems to be an issue with some 4.9 swaps people have told me about.

Is there some kind of a spec on how close to the exhaust manifold the cat has to be? When the cats on the 2.8 are replaced they are always placed towards the passenger side. When I had the last one changed I asked if it could be mounted towards the drivers side to make changing the oil filter easier I as was told they mount them as far downstream as possible to have the lowest possible gas temperature to make the cat last longer.

Have you broken down the engine at all? How difficult has been any subsequent maintenance been?

How does the weight of the 3.5 compare with the stock engine?

"HMMM..." Sorry, my bad I just don't get to this forum like I used to I guess you could look at my user profile and find my Email if I don't answer in time?

OK lets see, The 3.5 WILL NOT have a chance in Hell of running on the 3.4 TDC/DOHC computer. BUT you could use an after market computer to run the 3.5 from some one like ,but they CAN NOT pass smog in CA with an after market computer. To pass smog in CA YOU MUST HAVE the stock engine, tranny, computer, exhaust and entire emissions system.

1) YES it was needed to replace the front Xmember on the cradle, because the engine and AC compressor way just to large to fit in the Fiero cradle as is. I had to move the front Xmember forward so it would all fit in. BTW If I were to do a N* I would do the same exact cradle for the N* as I did for the S*.

2)YES the 3.5 does have mount holes on the side of the engine block. I used these to mount the engine to the custom front Xmember. In fact I even used the stock 3.5 mount for the engine, unchanged. Them I made a custom mount bracket on the tranny so I could use a second stock 3.5 fluid filled mount on the front side of the tranny.

3)Yes I have pics and info on the mounts.

4)Some mounts are totally custom, some are totally stock and some are mixed stock and custom. I have 5 motor mounts and NO dog bone mount.

5)I used a Corvette surge tank just because I could not fit a stock 3.5 surge tank in the Fiero engine bay. I wanted it to look stock, but the stock Olds tank would have looked stupid.
I used a "closed coolant system" because that is how the 3.5 came from the factory. The "open coolant system" of the Fiero has problems. I have MUCH better coolant system performance with the Corvette coolant surge tank ran like the factory shop manual illustrates than I did with the stock Fiero coolant system.

6)Yes I did use a stock Olds air box, modified to fit the Fiero engine bay. Yes it was needed. But it all depends on the person that dose the certification and how the swap was done. If you think a "ricer filter" stuck on the end of the MAF is all you need, you don't have a chance. AND BTW I do have a K&N in the filter box and yes it is a true Cold Air Intake system. I was able to cut out a bunch of extra plastic that would seem to have restricted the air flow.

7)The thing about engine swaps that some people don't seem to understand is that the Reff calls the shots, not the swapper. Do what they say and ask as many "good, pertinent" questions as you can without getting pissed off or pissing off the Reff.

8)Yes the cat is a critical part of the exhaust system. Yes you will need to make sure that it is at the correct spot in the system. BUT the cat is not the only critical thing, the O2 sensors are critical too. You need to place them in the correct point in the pipe to get the right readings. On the new cars they put the cat AS CLOSE to the engine as possible so it can get as hot as possible to burn ALL the crap that comes out of the engine. "last longer" HAHA the new cats are duel wall SS to keep all the heat in. AS far as cat go, Hell aint hot enough to burn them out. But an engine that runs to rich will burn them out.

9)No I never took the engine apart. Yes the spark plugs are easier to change.

10)I never got around to track times or weight scales

Thanks Synthesis, But I am doing so much right now that I could not do it over night. Or maintain it very well? But I could send you some of the stuff that I can find and you can do what you want with it? I could not start tell next week some time?

I am doing over time at work so I can get my own Mill and Lathe and then convert them over to CNC. BUT I am more into my Jeep Cherokee and 2006 GTO at this point. So the Fiero has LONG been on the back burner. I have given away some of my Fiero stuff and will soon FILL some one else's garage with Fiero stuff. I am going to get rid of 3 of my 88 GT's and only keep 1. I have 8 cars right now. Not all of them are Fiero's, but non the less I need to get rid of a bunch of them.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

Originally posted by RUNDLC:

Hey Rick maybe I can get you to come north up the 99 about two hours and help with my swap!!

RUNDLC

I cant even finnish the stuff I start here, HaHa
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2006 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
Fierari, noticed you are in San Jose. I'm driving this car on the CA Coast Run tomorrow, if you get a chance to make it down for it. We will be having lunch in Carmel. Give you chance to see it run.

Rick
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
just got a new toy for my toy

I wear pants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I wear pantsSend a Private Message to I wear pantsDirect Link to This Post
That should be sweet. The 6spd should really bring the car alive compared to the auto you had before.
88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
will you pass smog with that???
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2006 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:

will you pass smog with that???

No it will be an aftermarket computer because the stock computer cant be cracked.

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
Well that sucks : / . So are you going to have an entire "cradle" swap when smog comes around?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88White3.4GT:

Well that sucks : / . So are you going to have an entire "cradle" swap when smog comes around?

Maybe? I have another 3.5 in a crate. Maybe I should "build it up" and use the 6 speed on it and not touch the auto combo? 300+ HP on a naturally aspirated V6 with mild mods and a high rev limiter sounds cool on a 6 speed.

88White3.4GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2006 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88White3.4GTSend a Private Message to 88White3.4GTDirect Link to This Post
it'd probably be best, instead of swaping back and forth auto-manual. Have the spare 3.5 for smog, and the other 3.5 with mods and 6-speed for all the other 729 days..
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock