Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  IT RUNS....... I Started the 3.5 today!!!!!!!! (Page 3)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
IT RUNS....... I Started the 3.5 today!!!!!!!! by Rickady88GT
Started on: 10-27-2003 05:20 PM
Replies: 130
Last post by: 88White3.4GT on 12-07-2006 01:50 PM
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2004 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
The paint will be Blue and Silver
I dont know of any Intrigue hop up parts. I have a 2002 Intrigue and would hop it up too. But it seems like its all custom and tring to find common parts from other cars for the body and susp.
IP: Logged
Golden86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Golden86Send a Private Message to Golden86Direct Link to This Post
PLEASE don't pick orange for the paint, I like being different

------------------

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2004 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Orange is different? Don't look at the WestFest pictures! haha

------------------

Fiero-Performance.com

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I got the car back from the body shop.
I took it home on a flat bed truck and many trips in the Jeep with parts.
I put the "F" body power steering rack in it and it feels good, but I cant drive it yet to see how well it works.
I need to put all the body work on it before I can drive it and that may take a while.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 09-19-2004).]

85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Please,post some pictures even if you have not put the car all together.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
These pictures are not that great of quality, looks way better in sunlight but thats ok 'cause I didn't really want to show it off yet as the car is not all together.

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
Looks good! I can't wait to see the whole thing. Did you wind up swapping the gauges? There was some mention of it when you changed the fuel tank sending unit...
ryan.hess

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2004 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Hummina hummina hummina
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2004 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Yes I did use the stock Olds gauge cluster and the Fiero Rally gauge set.
This is the "mock up" of the custom made gauge pod.

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2004 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post
XXXI ..... 2D^
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Not much to report. I got the rear wing the other day and now it looks better. I like the wing But it also filled the 4 bolt holes that would let water into the trunk.
I had a nasty mis fire two weeks ago, turnd out to be three plugged fuel injectors They have a little screen in them that trap junk before it plugs the injector. Three of the fuel screens were just full of crap and one of them stopped running completely. Not good. The engine can be destroyed by running lean. But I did not run it much. It ran like CRAP so it sat tilI I found the problem. It started after I opened the fuel tank, so the crap in the tank must have got throu the tank screen and fuel filter (I have since changed both) or maybe the fuel lines after the filter had alot of crap on the inside walls that came loose and went up stream?
Anyway it runs good now.
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2004 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
This is a few pics of the car after the paint job.
We plan to take it to Songmans CA Coast Run in a few weeks.

Thanks
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

------------------

roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2004 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Rick i just wanted to say that i love your ride, Ive been following your buildup tread and even saved some pics into my computer. You have an awesome GT Rick, keep up the good work ! !

------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Thanks Guys.
I had offers from PFFrs to host a web site on this swap and I took up the offer from 85Frankenstien who is the same person that hosts DOHCFiero. The adress will be ShortStarFiero.com and we hope to have it up and running soon.

Seeing this instead of the website you expected?

If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to this directory and replace this page.

;^)
Norm

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2004 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I dont know what you mean? I cant even find www.shortstarfiero.com anymore. It used to work but just had no pics or info. I could never get him to update the site
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Rick, here is the info that is listed for the guy that has the URL www.shortstarfiero.com:

Might want to see if you can contact 'em that way.

Side note, there is alot of .net, .biz....ect that is out there if you want to make one yourself and skip the hassle of waiting for someone else to make it happen for ya.

--Allen

------------------

gt88norm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2005 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gt88normSend a Private Message to gt88normDirect Link to This Post

I dont know what you mean? I could never get him to update the site

I think it means that that domain name is there, just need to have Young Frankenstein give you access to it to start uploading data.

Norm

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2005 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Just an update.
It is all legal in CA. I took it in to the smog Ref today and it passed the smog certification

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
A few more pics.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002

This is my 2002 Olds Intrigue, The same as the "donor" car that my S* came out of.

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2005 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
That's a Nice lookin' ride.............very nice
I enjoy looking at it.

Michael

------------------
88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/SunRoof/Wing/JVC-CD-Sub-Woofer/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops

<<< <<< <<< <<< < Pix of my GT /-
-/ Pix of my Vettes> >>> >>> >>> >>>
*** *** *** *** *** * "If you appreciate my contribution, please rate me. Thanks"* *** *** *** *** ***

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2005 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Cool thanks
UDLOSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2006 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for UDLOSESend a Private Message to UDLOSEDirect Link to This Post
keeping it alive.

any more pics

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2006 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow! I thought this thread died a long time ago, thanks for the bump.

Here are a few more pics, I'm currently working on the sound system.

Thanks for looking!

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2006 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
I have some short videos that were posted for a Minot by Stuart but I don't know how to post them?
UDLOSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2006 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for UDLOSESend a Private Message to UDLOSEDirect Link to This Post
Damn it, dont tease me like that.

Get up with someone who can load em up.

Hopefully they wont load them on streetfire, or putfile.

If so I wont be able to down load them. .

Thanks for the updates

------------------
400HP out of a N/A SBC? Now thats just crazy talk.

Hulk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2006 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HulkSend a Private Message to HulkDirect Link to This Post
LIVE!! You must not die! You have a destiny to fulfill!

Rick, a friend of mine was schooling me on the 3.5 DOHC. He said he's seen them make 400+ hp with a turbo, on an otherwise stock motor. The more I hear about them, the more I think about swapping out my v8 for one. Do you have a build thread of this swap? Very nice work!

------------------
86 Fiero GT
-Stage eleventy billion...

04 Mustang Cobra
-K&N FIPK (first mod, woo-hoo!)

Dark69phoenix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dark69phoenixSend a Private Message to Dark69phoenixDirect Link to This Post
Hey this is an awsome set up do you have a sound file of a hard takeoff? With no muffler that must be one raw sounding exhaust if it sounds right I may try it with my 3.4 dohc.
crytical point

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crytical pointSend a Private Message to crytical pointDirect Link to This Post
your dash sorta resembles the 90 fiero prototype, you get some serious kudos
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2006 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the comments. I love the swap, it works for my style.

Originally posted by Dark69phoenix:

Hey this is an awsome set up do you have a sound file of a hard takeoff? With no muffler that must be one raw sounding exhaust if it sounds right I may try it with my 3.4 dohc.

I have a few video clips that I asked a member to post a while back. One demonstrates the power steering at a stop, another is a 0-60 take off from inside the car, another is a 55-90 "pass" and the last one is a drive by. My wife stood on the side walk as I drove by. I stomped on it as I drove by her. None of the vids do the car any justice. I don't know why, but maybe a 15 year old camera and or the conversion of the video for E mail?
The exhaust system has no muffler but is not loud at all. I believe it may be the stock cam timing is so conservative? Half of the exhaust system is 3 inch and the other half is 2.5". The total length of the system is very short too, so the car "should" be very loud. I get compliments on the sound of the car all the time. Then I tell them it has no mufflers. Most of them find it hard to believe.
Also the stock 4T65E that came with the S* is a VERRY mushy setup in its stock form. It shifts at the wrong time (for my taste) and has VERRY tall gears 0-55 in first gear and 55-112 in second makes the car bog allot. I want to change a few things in the tranny some day, or put a manual on it.
You wont be able to run your 3.4 with out mufflers. It will be too loud.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 06-30-2006).]

Fierari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierariSend a Private Message to FierariDirect Link to This Post

I want to change a few things in the tranny some day, or put a manual on it. You wont be able to run your 3.4 with out mufflers. It will be too loud.

So did it pass the smog ref without a muffler? That would certainly simplify the exhaust fabrication. Could the swap remain CA legal with a manual tranny? I've seen a couple of cars with the 3.5 at pretty decent prices making this swap intriguing (no pun intended).

[This message has been edited by Fierari (edited 10-17-2006).]

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-17-2006 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierari:
Could the swap remain CA legal with a manual tranny?

No :-(
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

So did it pass the smog ref without a muffler? That would certainly simplify the exhaust fabrication. Could the swap remain CA legal with a manual tranny? I've seen a couple of cars with the 3.5 at pretty decent prices making this swap intriguing (no pun intended).

The exhaust system did not need a muffler to pass smog, but may need it to pass noise laws.
If I were to ever change out the auto to a manual it would no longer be smog legal.
I just dont see a change in this car any time soon, I just cant find the time anymore.

Fierari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-18-2006 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierariSend a Private Message to FierariDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for responding Rick,

Way back near the beginning of this thread you mentioned www.shortstarfieros.com would be a place for indepth detail of your swap. Did this come and go or never happen because the domain doesn't seem to exist. Would it be possible to post some of the details here? Particularly the must haves for CA smog - like the fuel tank pressure sensor - is that really required? I read about the N* being wierd to tear down and rebuild, do you know whether that is also true for the 3.5s?

You also mentioned the 4t65e-hd was mushy. Was that the tranny originally attached to the 3.5? Have you been able to tighten it up any. I grew up in an Oldsmobile family and they always had good perfroming engines with mushy transmissions - my father bitched about mushy transmissions in the '59 delta88, the '64 and the '74 but not the '71 Cutlasses he owned. Maybe Olds "softened" the shifting - that would be a feature, not a bug.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-19-2006 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for responding Rick,

Way back near the beginning of this thread you mentioned www.shortstarfieros.com would be a place for indepth detail of your swap. Did this come and go or never happen because the domain doesn't seem to exist. Would it be possible to post some of the details here? Particularly the must haves for CA smog - like the fuel tank pressure sensor - is that really required? I read about the N* being wierd to tear down and rebuild, do you know whether that is also true for the 3.5s?

You also mentioned the 4t65e-hd was mushy. Was that the tranny originally attached to the 3.5? Have you been able to tighten it up any. I grew up in an Oldsmobile family and they always had good perfroming engines with mushy transmissions - my father bitched about mushy transmissions in the '59 delta88, the '64 and the '74 but not the '71 Cutlasses he owned. Maybe Olds "softened" the shifting - that would be a feature, not a bug.

I was given an offer to post ALL the info I could learn on this swap, on a web site hosted by a PFF member. BUT the site never came alive? I got some info ready for it but I just gave up after I could not get hold of the guy. I forgot more about the swap than I now know I am REALLY BAD at taking notes

Yes the tank sensor is needed to complete the emissions system. It works with the evap system. Some may just ignore it during the swap and not put it in, but by the letter of the law, it is needed. It may even work with out it? But it seems like it should cause a code.

The 4T65E that came with the S* is soft like a Caddy. They wanted it that way I can spend money on it to fix it right, but just don't want to spend the time on it right now.

I started a thread on OBDII smog swaps some time back, what did you want to know?
Fierari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2006 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierariSend a Private Message to FierariDirect Link to This Post
I added the archives and found a lot of info standard searches had overlooked. But I still have some questions. I guess the biggest is was it really necessary to replace/move the cradle front cross piece? Does the 3.5 have mounts on the side of the engine? Do you have any more details on that part of the swap? Did you have to fabricate all the mounts (from scratch). Did using the pressurized coolant overflow bottle solve some unique issue with connecting the 3.5 to the Fiero cooling system or did you do it just because? Did you have to change the air filter box for the one from the intrigue? For some reason that seems to be an issue with some 4.9 swaps people have told me about.

Is there some kind of a spec on how close to the exhaust manifold the cat has to be? When the cats on the 2.8 are replaced they are always placed towards the passenger side. When I had the last one changed I asked if it could be mounted towards the drivers side to make changing the oil filter easier I as was told they mount them as far downstream as possible to have the lowest possible gas temperature to make the cat last longer.

Have you broken down the engine at all? How difficult has been any subsequent maintenance been?

How does the weight of the 3.5 compare with the stock engine?
Fierari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierariSend a Private Message to FierariDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm,

I wonder if the 3.5 would run [good] with the 3.4 TDC ECM?
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2006 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Rickady, you are welcome to store your files on my site. I can even set aside a subdomain for you specifically. You just need to let me know what you want...
It would be *****.chalnet.net

And all you would need to do is tell me what name you want in front, I would set you up with an FTP Account, and you could build and design your own site for it, or I could provide a standard template/assistance with a design similar to http://www.chalnet.net

You could modify it as you see fit, or use it the way it is.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock