Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Dealer Conversion Convertible on ebay! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Dealer Conversion Convertible on ebay! by kiteguy
Started on: 05-06-2006 07:13 PM
Replies: 46
Last post by: kiteguy on 05-13-2006 10:55 AM
kiteguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2006 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Looks sweat.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Look again. It going to take alot of work to make a nice car. Atleast the frame work of the convertible top is there. I would take it to a top shop and get a new top made. From the looks of those seat Id say the roof leaks pretty bad. But yes overall it would be a very well worth it project. I could just imagine being stuck in traffic with the top down on a hot day with a two heater venter at my head.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

[This message has been edited by ohio86se (edited 05-07-2006).]

JohnF

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnFSend a Private Message to JohnFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero1Fan:

Looks sweat.

HUH?

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ohio86se:
I could just imagine being stuck in traffic with the top down on a hot day with a two heater venter at my head.

Always the negative comments from people who have never been in one... is that sour grapes?

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here*

RACE

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RACEClick Here to visit RACE's HomePageSend a Private Message to RACEDirect Link to This Post
I have driven Lambo's Quad 4 convertible, have the video of me doing it, and will now make a negative comment about this ebay offering. The seats look like they have mold and water damage. I believe that the interior would have to be completely replaced starting with the carpet. The floor boards are most likely covered in surface rust that would need attention. Having said that, I still think that this is a worth while car.
kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
Nope...the top does not leak. It never leaked. If you would have taken just a moment to read the Ad Copy that was posted, you would have read that the seat coverings are toast from being a victim of the Florida Sun. The cushions are fine. The carpet is flawless and the floorboards are great. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Yes, the seat coverings have a bit of mold on them. But if you would look at the pictures I posted, you will clearly see that the cushions are fine. EVERYTHING in Florida has mold on it! Which way would you have complained more...if I kept the nice seat coverings on it and never told you about it, or that I'm being honest in saying there is nothing more wrong with the car than what the AD Copy tells. Why is everything such a big project? can't something just need a few minor repairs?Thanks for taking the time to post.

[This message has been edited by kiteguy (edited 05-07-2006).]

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
nice looking car, wish i was closer, i would jump on this one!

------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT, 142,500 miles! decklid window, silver guages. rear ended someone, and now the rebuilding starts! saving for a norms front clip! :damon:
More pics of my 87 GT can be found here

2002 Toyota Celica GT, 5-speed, 42K miles <-Current daily driver

A 4 year olds knowledge of science: No matter how much jello you put into a swimming pool you still can't walk on water.

LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kiteguy:

Nope...the top does not leak. It never leaked. If you would have taken just a moment to read the Ad Copy that was posted, you would have read that the seat coverings are toast from being a victim of the Florida Sun. The cushions are fine. The carpet is flawless and the floorboards are great. Where do you guys come up with this stuff? Yes, the seat coverings have a bit of mold on them. But if you would look at the pictures I posted, you will clearly see that the cushions are fine. EVERYTHING in Florida has mold on it! Which way would you have complained more...if I kept the nice seat coverings on it and never told you about it, or that I'm being honest in saying there is nothing more wrong with the car than what the AD Copy tells. Why is everything such a big project? can't something just need a few minor repairs?Thanks for taking the time to post.

Don't let 'em get you down, kiteguy - I read the ad and it sounds like a decent car and an honest disclosure of the facts.

I'd be tempted if I didn't already have my Automoda conversion.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com
1988 Red Fiero Formula Convertible
*Desktop Photo Here*

kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the vote of confidence, Patrick. By the Way... A super sweet car you have. Great pictures. Thanks again and tell a friend they can purchase mine...
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, very much... I'll pass the word about yours.
PFF
System Bot
tomsfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomsfieroSend a Private Message to tomsfieroDirect Link to This Post
im wondering, where do they put the gas door popper?
LZeitgeist

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
I moved mine to the firewall, just over the driver's left shoulder.

It's controlled by a cable, so it can be moved and mounted anywhere within the length of the cable.
kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
This is where my release cable is as well; just behind the driver's seat headrest.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

Always the negative comments from people who have never been in one... is that sour grapes?

No sour grapes hear just commonsence. Are those heat vents or not behind ours heads? You are correct that Ive never been in one.

------------------

ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2006 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

ohio86se

1308 posts
Member since Mar 2002

Im commenting on the "sweet comment". Im saying its a project but thats my opion. Good luck on your auction. Mold is from dampness not the sun.

------------------

87convert

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87convertSend a Private Message to 87convertDirect Link to This Post
I have one of these conversion concept convertibles and sitting still in traffic with the top down is not a problem. The problem is when you are moving slowly and the wind is just right, then you get some heat on the back of your head. Overall top down motoring in this toy is as much fun as you can have in a Fiero with your clothes on!!!!! I live in Arizona and I have not had the top up in 3 years. If it rains I put it in the garage till it stops and then go out and enjoy the moist cool wind in my hair. If I did not have one already I would be all over this auction. The cars are extremely well put together. Mine has 92000 miles on it now and is the most reliable Fiero I own (I currently have 7).

Good luck with your auction and best wishes to the winner.

Rolland
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 03:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
makes me want to go out and go ahead with the chop i had planed for my 85 2m4. problem is with that car is that it is in crap condition and would cost big bucks to make it nice. it would probably end up more mad max than anything else! still might do it.
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
Im convinced and stand corrected. Ive own a convertibles before but never a Fiero convert so I guess I should keep my mouth shut .....

Good luck.....

------------------

kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2006 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
Rolland, thanks for the positive post on the Conversion Concepts style. I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with one of these left. (which would have driven the value up much higher than the very reasonable starting price) It's nice to hear the feedback. I couldn't have said it better myself. Kudos!
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post
This looks like a really sweet car, I've been watching and noticed there are still 0 bids at this point.
Hard to believe no one has made a bid yet, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
Seems last time I looked at B&B's site they wanted around $3800 for their convertable kit, to get a dealer option convertable coupe in fair mechanical condition for under $4000 would seem to be a steal to me.

------------------
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... but they've always worked for me.

PFF
System Bot
kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
As of now, there are 40 marked as watching. I don 't expect bidding to start until the last 12 hours. Right you are about the kits. They aren't giving them away, are they!!! Besides, I really feel that the kits that lay on the trunk deck look out of place; almost like it's a sail waiting to be raised. Don't get me wrong, any convertible is nice and they are really nice kits, but I guess I'm partial because of my experience with this model. I too, feel the price is very fair for this car and someone will be very happy with it. thanks for the post and the nice comments
Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
i have one also. the two things i'd say are that the price is almost exactly what i paid for mine in a little better shape with a few less miles. the seller wanted more, but i was the only person who looked at it and he eventually took what i had (from the first ad to my buying it was something like 3 months).

that, and unless you know somebody giving you a real sweet deal (or maybe in a warm state there are more businesses competing for work), the top repair is going to cost a lot more than $500. i paid about $1200 after mine got vandalised.
DRA

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2006 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Philphine:

i have one also. the two things i'd say are that the price is almost exactly what i paid for mine in a little better shape with a few less miles. the seller wanted more, but i was the only person who looked at it and he eventually took what i had (from the first ad to my buying it was something like 3 months).

that, and unless you know somebody giving you a real sweet deal (or maybe in a warm state there are more businesses competing for work), the top repair is going to cost a lot more than $500. i paid about $1200 after mine got vandalised.

Ouch, $1200, did they have to re-fab the whole frame or just re-cover it?
Cost is going to vary from locality to locality on re-doing the top.
Here locally (Thomson GA, 15 minutes up I-20) I had a top redone on a mustang for less than I could order the top from JC Whitney and install myself. Think it ended up around $300 bucks total, and the shop did not order a ready made top, they basically made the top from scratch. Fit and finish was excellent.
My advice on getting the top re-done would be to shop around and ask to see some of the shops work, basically ask for references and compare prices. I can't see it costing over $500 around this area, but like I said it will depend on where you are. With that said it may make sense to go the extra miles (literally) to have the top done.

[This message has been edited by DRA (edited 05-09-2006).]

kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
The Quote I received for $500, was six months ago from an old salty-dog that has a tiny shop right on a Marina, next to a yacht club and with shrimp boats on the other side. This old fella spent most of his life repairing, rebuilding and creating sails on his ancient...and I mean ancient walking foot sewing machine. He doesn't say much, doesn't smell so good (the shrimp boat thing) and hasn't shaved in about 20 years...but man, can he sew! The top on this car will only need recovered if you choose to do so. It isn't the prettiest top, after all, it it 20 years old...but it still works just fine. The frame is fine as well. Sorry to hear about the vandalism that cost you the $1200, and also happy to hear about the recovering for $300. Here in Florida, there are top shops everywhere. Now, go and bid on my car...
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post

Now, go and bid on my car...

I will, need answers ! !
kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
IRG... I'm all over the task of getting you several more quotes from several top shops. There are hundreds of them within a 30 mile radius of me. I suppose in Indiana, you'd be hard pressed to find 30 top shops with a 100 mile radius. I'll work with the lucky winner. there's no hurry on picking up the car if you want the work done here. I hear some guys mention Bill Welch. I've been told he's in Tampa and is familiar with this top. If I knew how to contact the guy, I'd call him for you. Perhaps some of our fellow forum friends can add some info on him...
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I recommend a top material called StayFast. This is a multi-layered material, used in production autos.... high end autos that is

The cost may be higher, but the results will be much better (speaking from experience with this conversion)
kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
I agree with you jaski, the stayfast is really nice stuff. plus, it comes in many different colors. They aren't giving it away...at about $60 bucks a yard, but it sure is nice stuff. As I recall, it's made by Haartz.
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
Where abouts is Spring Hill located in FL?
I'm in Cape Coral
Thanks Gary
kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2006 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
North of Tampa about 30 miles. Southwest of Brooksville about 3 miles. State Route 50 and U.S. 19. Home of the world famous Weekie Wachee Mermaids. That should put you in my backyard and your welcome to visit. I know a few Mermaids I could introduce you to...

[This message has been edited by kiteguy (edited 05-10-2006).]

PFF
System Bot
Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
This info was posted awhile ago. I don't know if this top is the same as yours. I think the price was around $450.

What's more important is the other information that could be of help to those who already have a Fiero conv.
Both the California Convertible Company and it successor LA Machine purchased the convertible tops from Acme Auto Headlining Co. Replacement convertible tops can be obtained from them:
Acme Auto Headlining Co.
550 West 16th Street
Long Beach CA 90813

Ph 800-288-6078
E-mail: info@autosunvisor.com
Here are the pattern numbers:
P/N 614239 Description: Fiero GT Top
P/N T-601 Description: Pad and Boot

------------------
Notchbacks RULE

"Let a man drive a Fiero and he'll own one.
Teach a man to fix a Fiero and he'll own eight."

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Different conversion for that $450 top. Actually, that top is pretty simple compared to the one that is on the Holland Pontiac cars. (The cloth that is)

J.
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
One Mermaid and a Fiero vert!!!! This could turn into a good deal. Let's see what happens with the E-bay thing. I'll keep watching.
Thanks Gary
Bump
kiteguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kiteguySend a Private Message to kiteguyDirect Link to This Post
Well fellas, it's beginning to come down to the wire on this Auction. First, I wanted to thank you all for posting and for commenting on the car. Thanks for looking at the pictures, thinking about bidding and watching the status. I've received many mails from you and I have been enjoying this very much. Again, thank you.
Now...on to the business end. I thought I would step it up a bit and add something to the stakes. I know many of you would like to own this car, but just can't seem to either afford it right now or just don't have the extra dough for it. Well here's the deal: I will be willing to accept Credit Cards. Sort of your own mini-financing if you will. It's easier to come off of a few hundred dollars a month to your credit card statement, than chunk down all of it at once. Plus...you might be able to hide it from the wife this way! "Someone gave the car to me, Honey. Honest!"
I accept credit cards through my Consulting business, so here's a free one for you...no charge. If you have your own business, you can have your business buy the car from me(even if you personally put the money into the business) and then you can use your statement as your receipt, showing you paid a fee to a Consulting Company. This is a tax deduction for you as Educational Expenses. $4000 paid, 30% tax bracket= $1200 tax deduction; offsetting the purchase price and giving you the $1200 to repair the few things it needs.
Just trying to help by considering a few more alternatives. Hope the credit card offer helps a few more of you who might not be considering this very cool and rare and collectible car. I will not be editing my Auction Ad to include this offer. This is for you and you alone.
Now...Go Bid!
Warm Regards,
Dave
Mark A. Klein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2006 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mark A. KleinSend a Private Message to Mark A. KleinDirect Link to This Post
Do you have any pictures of the top 1/2 way up so the folding mechism can be better seen?
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
kiteguy

I use U.S. Greenbacks as a matter of course.
Any luck with a top shop?
In need of answers!
One day and hours left!

It would look cool next to what came my way a few weeks back

What's one more?

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 05-12-2006).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mark A. Klein:

Do you have any pictures of the top 1/2 way up so the folding mechism can be better seen?

not sure if this is what you want, or if you know how the top works, but here is a kind of blurry pic of the top halfway off (and all up and fully down)...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20021104-1-020019.html

edit: 'cause now that i go back and look at your's, i see it's not made like mine. dose your's have a separate targa section?

edit edit: ok looked at all the pics and i see it dosen't. now i'm confused.

[This message has been edited by Philphine (edited 05-12-2006).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Philphine

6136 posts
Member since Feb 2000
ok, let me apologise for clouding the issue. did some quick searching and found that two dealers converted a group of 87 fieros. mines is from the ohio dealer, this one is from the michigan one. sorry.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2006 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Those are the same conversions. The dealer had full convertibles and also targa. A very minor change in the top, really. Automoda tops were very different in how they looked when up and down (actually the automoda looked and worked better in my opinion, and I owned one of the Holland Pontiac cars which I LOVED).

J.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock