Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  The Pearl White GT Build Up Thread (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Pearl White GT Build Up Thread by achawkins
Started on: 10-25-2004 11:26 PM
Replies: 48
Last post by: dobey on 07-22-2005 08:05 PM
achawkins

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
The Pearl White GT Build Up Thread

So, I've got this '88 GT that has become my favorite money pit and I'm quite happy with the way she has turned out so far. I thought I might share some photos and a brief history of her. I resized all the pictures to try and aid with the loading speed of our dial up users. I would love some feedback.

So without further a due:

This is our shop, where we build our custom motorcycles.

Here is the inside of the "parts" bays. Can you count how many bikes are in this shot?

Now, this is the '88 GT in late May of this year (2004), when I first got her. As you can see her paint is in the usual bad shape.

I spent a lot of time prepping this car for paint because I had something special in mind, and I wanted it to be worthy of the paint. I was back and forth on the paint color until I actually bought the paint, I used PPG bright white pearl. I also wasn't sure about which trim pieces to paint and which to leave black. By mistake my dad started sanding the deck vents and inside quarter molding while I was at work, so I decide to try it white and repaint it black if I wasn't happy. The same philosophy was applied to the side moldings. In the end I really like the way it looks with the white so I won't be repainting anything black. Here she is in our paint booth during final prep. This around September 21st.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Now here she is in the paint booth just hours before she sees daylight for her first time as a pearl. Now it is September 25th.

There was a Greenville fiero meet scheduled for October the 2nd, and I wanted to bring the new '88 to it so we worked really hard to have the paint finished by then. Here she is on her first day out of the garage.

Notice how high the '88 suspension sits in the front. This was not very noticeable until the white paint was on. This had to be changed quickly.

Now her she is at the October 2nd meet, as you can see I lowered her. Literally got out of the paint booth on Monday, Sanded, Buffed and Polished on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then lowered Thursday night. Talk about being in the nick of time.

[This message has been edited by achawkins (edited 12-08-2004).]

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post

achawkins

1891 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Now, after sitting in the garage behind the lathe for a year I was ready to put my new 17's on. Here she is up on the lift getting her new shoes.

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post

achawkins

1891 posts
Member since Jun 2003
And now here she is in all her unwashed glory, on October 22 2004. I have yet to get a shot that does the paint any justice.

Thanks for taking the time to look in on my progress.
I have a lot more pictures at higher resolution of my progress. I am working on plenty of other projects for this car and a couple of other fiero's as well. So I will be updating the threat as often as time permits.

Again I would love any feedback, comments or questions. I even take requests, not really.

------------------
________Marty

timmer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2004 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timmerSend a Private Message to timmerDirect Link to This Post
thats a nice looking car it looks like you have taken a lot of care to get it to thew point it is in now
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBDirect Link to This Post
Good job, the car is looking good

How did you lower the car ? the car is sitting very nice.

Key Of David

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Key Of DavidSend a Private Message to Key Of DavidDirect Link to This Post
She turned out real nice. You should get her a bf though.

------------------

The Funkmaster

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The FunkmasterSend a Private Message to The FunkmasterDirect Link to This Post
That's what I like to call a NICE car man. Good job. Those deck grilles look pretty neat too!
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
Nice!

Any way you could e-mail me a couple full-sized finished pics, like this one?

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
Ooh, I want that pic too! Looks a little like mine, except for that sweet stance, I need to do the lowering too. I'd love to know what you used.

------------------

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone for all the kind words.

Sure, I'll send the pictures when I get home tonight, they are on my laptop.

As far as the lowering, I'm old school about it. I cut 1.5 curls off of the front and haven't done anything to the rear. I'm not sure yet that I'm going too. I wanted that hot rod look, so I wanted it to lean foreword a little. Right now sits 1 inch lower in the front than it does in the rear, plus I have bigger tires in the rear. 235/55/17 as compared to 215/50/17. I really like the way it handles and it still has a good ride, of course, the poly bushings help a little.

------------------
________Marty

PFF
System Bot
achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post

achawkins

1891 posts
Member since Jun 2003
::back to the front::
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2004 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
beeee-uuuu-teeee-ful!
achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
My thread went down like a fat kid on a dough nut.
rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
Man I can't believe how good the white looks on the Fieros. Looks awsome. Is that the Caddy pearl white?
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
White GTs look so handsome

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
hes not kidding about pictures not doing it justice... when i saw it at the meet i was thinking HOLY CRAP thats SWEET! you can really tell he put some serious prep time into it.

------------------
'86 Fiero GT

My Fiero XoticRydzMid-Rear Madness

Member of the "Im Tired Of All The Flame Wars" committee ITOATFW

Be Excellent To Each Other" - Bill S. Preston Esquire Ted Theadore Logan

Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2004 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
Hey Marty, car looks good with it's new shoes !!!
Little hint for a picture. Wait til a pretty sunset in the evening and take a picture. Should let you get a good picture of the "pearl" in the paint. Also , cloudy days make good pictures for some reason.
Keep up the good work on her !!!

------------------

Don't know why my sig picture is not working now , grrr

[This message has been edited by Ronnie (edited 10-27-2004).]

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

Ronnie, you were the reason I went ahead and put the rims on. I wasn't really down with dropping the coin on those expensive tires, but your car looked so good with the 17's, I had to go ahead and do it.

I'll give the photo's another shot. I've also noticed how good the paint looks on cloudy days, takes the bright white out and brings the pearl to the surface.

------------------
________Marty

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Marty, that color looks great on your car.

I have decided that Im going to go white on my own 88GT, and seeing the pictures here just sealed the deal.

Looks great.

If at all possible, can I get the full sized images as well? E-mail is listed in the profile if you please!

--Allen

------------------

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2004 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mcaanda:

If at all possible, can I get the full sized images as well? E-mail is listed in the profile if you please!

--Allen

Hehe, looks like you have alot of e-mails to send.

This thread came at a good time, ironically, I was just thinking about white pearl paint for the Indy a couple weeks ago.

------------------

My Web page | The Turbo Super Duty Build.

PFF
System Bot
achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2004 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Hey, sorry it took so long. Here are the links to download the high res. pictures from my server.

http://www.musicsceneonline.com/fiero/PearlWhiteGT-1.JPG

http://www.musicsceneonline.com/fiero/PearlWhiteGT-2.JPG

http://www.musicsceneonline.com/fiero/PearlWhiteGT-3.JPG

I havn't cropped them or anything.

------------------
________Marty

[This message has been edited by achawkins (edited 11-02-2004).]

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2004 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick bump to save it from the archives. I'm installing a keyless entry alarm, with pictures and the dash will be coming out next week to install 6x9's I will also have pics.

------------------
________Marty

88gtNewb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2004 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88gtNewbClick Here to visit 88gtNewb's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88gtNewbDirect Link to This Post
Great pics! One question, do your front tires ever hit on the lip of the fender or on the wheelwell? I'm wanting to drop my front to get rid of the 88 front wheel gap and even out the car, but it looks like there's not much room for suspenion travel.
achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2004 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I have not had any rubbing at all. And believe me I have driven it plenty hard to test it out.

------------------
________Marty

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Well time for an update.
I took it upon myself to install my keyless entry alarm. Here's some pictures.

First I found my wiring spot, right where the blue dingy thingy was.

Next I got the alarm out of the box and surveyed everything. Thanks to Fiero Security for the wiring diagram!

This is what is behind the blue dingy thingy.

PS. You can't be afraid of wires to install this.

Door Lock Modules

Door lock wires, passenger footwell.

All in all the install went pretty well aside from an actuator issue. Now, my doors lock by remote!

------------------
________Marty

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post

achawkins

1891 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Then I took some dusk shots of her. PS. I also went wingless for this shoot.

------------------
________Marty

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
wow - you are making me start to concider white as a nice option
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

wow - you are making me start to concider white as a nice option

and the wingless shoot looks great aswell!

+ for you..achawkins

------------------
-----just me-----
------------------

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:

and the wingless shoot looks great aswell!

+ for you..achawkins

yeah i preffer gt's wingless and notchies winged

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2004 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by NotAFieroAnyLonger:
the wingless shoot looks great aswell!

Thanks. I have the wing hung in my garage all painted up, but I got these nylon plugs from lowe's to put in the holes on the decklid so that I can sport it with or without. Most of the time I like it without, but on occasion I want it there.

------------------
________Marty

PFF
System Bot
achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2005 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Care to take a guess on what I did to her this weekend?

------------------
____________________Marty
The Pearl White GT Build Up

[This message has been edited by achawkins (edited 01-10-2005).]

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2005 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
I was just talking about guys repainting there fastbacks and alot of them don't paint the engine vents and the inner panels behind the 1/4 windows. I wasn't sure how it would look, it looks great in the white thats for sure! Nice looking car!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Last night as my wife was getting out of her car (Durango) she SLAMMED her door into the car and took a chunk out of the mirror. Then proceeded to tell me that I shouldn't have had my car there in the first place. I was so mad I couldn't see straight. So, it was MY fault that SHE chipped my car!

Had to vent.

------------------
____________________Marty
The Pearl White GT Build Up

GSXRBOBBY

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GSXRBOBBYClick Here to visit GSXRBOBBY's HomePageSend a Private Message to GSXRBOBBYDirect Link to This Post
Make her take the mirror off and have her do the sanding. She needs to learn you have to baby toys!!!!

------------------
Bobby from NW Indiana
93 Northstar and 5 speed Getrag
219customs@verizon.net
My 86 GT build thread
MY 88 Northstar build thread

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by achawkins:

Care to take a guess on what I did to her this weekend?

RICE!!! AHH RICER!!!! MARTY IS A RICER!!!! lol j/k it looks good. only thing is they are a ***** to keep clean.
do you use the white gt as your daily driver?

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2005 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Hmm. Is that rice? I just did it because the red paint makes it go (and stop) faster! No not supposed to be my daily driver, but with all these nice days lately it sure seems like it is.

BTW. Kyle, Does your friend with the mr2 want to sell the engine out of it?

Best,
Marty

[This message has been edited by achawkins (edited 01-11-2005).]

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2005 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Time for a little update.

I had some trouble out of her engine and thought it was time for a V8 swap, but after much deliberation two cut fingers and a lot of frustration I have her back on the road. Woo Hoo!

Here are the bitter details.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/059514.html

More pictures soon.

achawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for achawkinsClick Here to visit achawkins's HomePageSend a Private Message to achawkinsDirect Link to This Post
Bump out of the archives. Off to Daytona in two days, pics to follow.
TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2005 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
damnit... i wished i had seen that you were asking about the mr2 engine... he just sold what was left of the car for 1800 bucks like 2 days ago.... i can find another for you if you would like

------------------
'86 Fiero GT
My Fiero XoticRydz Mid-Rear Madness
I am the signature virus, please put me in your signature so I can spread

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors