OBD I sofware for a laptop by stalen88GT
Started on: 02-17-2005 03:12 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: stalen88GT on 02-19-2005 02:27 PM
stalen88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
I have completed a search for any leads about OBDI software for a laptop. I have not found anything in the archives that fit my needs unless I just have not looked in the right spot. I don't believe I should have to buy a seperate device when I have a laptop that can better complete the job at hand. Has anyone here come across any web site that provides only the software or an option of that nature?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Download WinALDL. It's free.
Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2005 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
WinALDL is great for monitoring. How about something that allows editing? Something like LS1edit for a laptop?
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2005 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
To edit the Fiero fuel maps and such you'll need an EPROM burner, a UV eraser (or supply of blank EPROMs), and software such as GMEpro, TunerCat, or WinBin. At least, that's as best as my memory serves. TK on the forum can give you more info.

JazzMan

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 08:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
If you want to skip the UV eraser and use flash PROM just upgrage to the 29C256 chip. You can find all you need to do it at www.moates.net. To change stuff you need a BIN file editor with the proper "decoding" file for your PROM. I'm happy with Tunercat

------------------
Palm Beach Fieros
http://pbfieros.tripod.com

AKM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AKMClick Here to visit AKM's HomePageSend a Private Message to AKMDirect Link to This Post
Yep, I just ordered another 29c256 setup from Moates this week, along with his 24-to-28 adapter.

There is NO REASON to stick with an EPROM in these cars. I hate UV erasing chips, takes too long, and it's sometimes unreliable (I tried erasing my stock Fiero EPROM last week, and the chip went bad, won't take a program.. oh well). Pull the ECM's case, remove the stock 'socket' (pull the plastic and then remove each pin 1 by 1, then clean the hole with a sucker and/or wick), and then solder a new standard socket in there. Then you can easily use the 24-to-28 adapter and the flash chip (along with a ZIF socket if you really want to).

I'm using Tunercat software, and a Needhams EMP-10 programmer. First change was the injector scaling so that I could run these LT1 fuel injectors I had laying around (just for testing purposes).

WinALDL's at http://winaldl.webhop.net

tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
what does all this cost?
TA6SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TA6SPDSend a Private Message to TA6SPDDirect Link to This Post
I build the interface for winaldl in a universal set up so it can be used on many different cars and trucks. I bought one of moats 24 to 28 pin adapter and was not happy that the ECM cover would not go on. It is to tall after it was installed, so I designed and built a 24 to 28 pin adapter that fits under the cover. If anyone is interested PM me I'll Give you a price. I build these for a place in Michigan that does fuel injection setups.
stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
WOW ! thanks for all the input hopefully I will get somewhere with all of this. Someone further up the post asked how much for some of these programs and materials. Does anyone have an idea or want to veture what you paid for them? Because like most of you here I am not a wealthy man and have to get approval from the finacier aka my wife. I love her to death, but she hates me spending mula on Little Red Bomb.
Galen

------------------
Make it FAST or don't make it :)

LITTLE RED BOMB
www.velocityaircraft.com

JazzMan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post02-18-2005 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Biggest cost will be the prom burner, they usually run over a hundred bucks, followed by the editing software.

JazzMan

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2005 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Download WinALDL. It's free.

Raydar, where do I download this WinALDL?

PFF
System Bot
sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Once you get this WinALDL, how do you hook a laptop up to your car? I haven't looked into it since I haven't had a laptop until recently. Does it work kind of like a scantool?

------------------
86 SE 4 spd - undergoing reconstructive surgery
86 SE auto - receiving heart transplant
86 GT auto - daily driver

85 GT 4 spd - parts car

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
I asume that the cable would attatch to the port that indicates a monitor. if the cable you use is really up to date then there would be a USB connect on the laptop side and the appropriate attatchment for the car on the other. But as I have never done this and just trying to find the software and hardware I could be speaking out of my butt. I would really like to be able to diagnos my own car and have some read outs to help. My 2C anyway.
slickrick2000

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for slickrick2000Send a Private Message to slickrick2000Direct Link to This Post
Hey Stalen, your pretty close to me.

I have some of the parts to build a cable, but just haven't made one yet. Mostly because I don't have a laptop and haven't gotten my spare computer set up in the garage yet. Maybe I'll finish makin a cable and we can try it out. I'm pretty interested to see how this works.

BTW, I live in Temecula.

Rick

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
hey Rick,
ya you are just down the road from me. if you do get a cable constructed I would be interested in what you did so I could make my own
Galen
Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stalen88GT:

Raydar, where do I download this WinALDL?

The link that AKM posted above redirected me here... http://winaldl.joby.se/

There are links on that page to instructions for building an interface cable. Jefrysuko on the forum used to make and sell them, but I'm not sure if he still is, or not.

Normally, they'll connect between the laptop's serial port (I don't know about adapting to USB) and the ALDL connector under the cigarette lighter trim.

The data selection for our cars should be the first entry under "PFI data streams" 1227170. 2.8 L44.

Edit - Cliff wrote a graphical display for the data, so that you don't have to use the spreadsheet view.
See this thread. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20040223-1-032613.html

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 02-19-2005).]

TennT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TennTSend a Private Message to TennTDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if anyone has used the software successfully
with Win XP?
There have been issues with the way the interrupts are handled.

TG

Raydar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TennT:

Does anyone know if anyone has used the software successfully
with Win XP?
There have been issues with the way the interrupts are handled.

TG

Drat! And I just installed XP on my laptop. Haven't tried to use WinALDL, though.
I was looking through some previous Tech posts (searched "WinALDL"), and saw some stuff about this.
URRGGH!

stalen88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2005 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stalen88GTSend a Private Message to stalen88GTDirect Link to This Post
I just downloaded the software and it specifically stated that it can be used on XP. I just need to build a cable now and buy a USB to Serial port converter. My laptop is apparently too new. Now don't that just suck.

------------------
Make it FAST or don't make it :)

LITTLE RED BOMB
www.velocityaircraft.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock