Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  3800SC Series III with paddle shifter hits the road (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
3800SC Series III with paddle shifter hits the road by FastFieros
Started on: 09-23-2004 10:43 PM
Replies: 63
Last post by: FastFieros on 03-11-2005 12:20 AM
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
The install...

88 GT
2004 3800SC Series III Pontiac Grand Prix engine
2004 Comp G 4T65eHD with 3.29 gears and paddle shifter manual shifting
OBDII PCM, BCM, TAC, and ETC

The easy part was getting the engine and transmission on the cradle of course. Wiring the 2004 components was a challenge. I only started with the PCM because HP Tuners thought they could hack the code down to the VTD ( vehicle theft deterrent) level and not have to run the BCM. Well after 4 days of hacking and loading many different BIN files, I decided it was time to purchase the BCM, Theft exciter module, ignition switch, key, and some connectors. I found a salvage yard willing to cut the connectors and leave me about 6 inches of wire on all the components. After getting them I was able to get the engine running in about 3 hours.

The paddle shifter feature is not online still. I have to build a resistor network that works on one signal wire. The Formula steering wheel with the "horn" paddle buttons is going to become my UP shift and Down shift buttons. Its going to work one way on one button (like up) then one way on the other button (like down). In the Grand Prix it works where either button on the steering wheel will up shift on pushing it, then down shift on pulling on it. I will have to come up with a different button arrangement to make it work that way.

Enjoy the pics, and visit the build page on my website > http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/loyde_3800/index.htm

Thanks for looking,

Loyde

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
You just made me drool in my keyboard.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
Loyde,

That would look so much nicer in a Mera. Would you like to use one of mine for a test bed to work out any "bugs"?

Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
That is too cool Great job.
I had to use the BCM also in my 3.5 swap.

------------------

Rickady88GT QuadCam 3.5 V6

FieroGTguy

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2004 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTguyClick Here to visit FieroGTguy's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTguyDirect Link to This Post
Cool! How much would you sell an identical CAI setup like that?!

Greg

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for enjoying this buildup...

I will be getting the PCM hacked to work without the BCM in the near future. The problem is the BCM talks to the PCM via the serial databus with a hex value password. The key has a transponder in the head of it, and the ignition switch has the exciter ring. Then to make matters even worse, the ignition switch first knows when the key is inserted (called wake up), then the key is turned (called Power Master Mode), then the switch hits crank position and disables part of the PCM for 7 seconds.

So today, my cars name is "Silo". Why? I have two ignition switches and two keys. BOTH must be turned to crank at exactly the same time to start the engine. As the switch travels pass ACC, Run, then Crank, the Power Master Modes are setup. Hey it starts at least today.

Greg, I do not have any more CAI's in stock. Sold the last one 2 days ago. Those were 3 inch customs on a batch from ebay back about 3 months ago. Its hard to get the 3 inch vs the 2.75's and 2.5's for the Honda's. I have another custom one in the build process however that is 3.5 inch and feeds a V8 engine in stock form.

Loyde

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
That has to be the cleanest install I've ever seen! Very nice. Why did you decide to go with a series III? Doesn't seem worth the effort for an extra 20hp?
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

That has to be the cleanest install I've ever seen! Very nice. Why did you decide to go with a series III? Doesn't seem worth the effort for an extra 20hp?

This engine is stock. The one in my engine stand will make about 400HP at the tires.

The new Series III blower is so much more efficient in power output, keeping KR in check. The InterCooler will soon be available that offers some additional features the S2 does not for the Series II engines.

I installed this one just to get a handle on the OBDII programming and development with HP Tuners. It also is the first with Electronic Throttle Control (drive by wire), TAP shift (paddle shifter manual transmission, shift on the fly) Fiero.

Loyde

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
youre good man. killer project. Im gonna have to drop by on my next trip to waco here in a few weeks.
The Punisher

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 433
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for The PunisherSend a Private Message to The PunisherDirect Link to This Post
good lordy. that is one sweet setup. Can't wait to see how that paddle shifter works. Big thumbs up from me.

SH

------------------
JM / SH

Pick up the bone phone Fred Flinstone and call George Jetson. Get Cable, DSL, or something....
Opinions are like ‘The Punisher” everyone has one ™

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
nice looking swap and good job, loyde. I do have one question though... What did you do with the crankcase vent line? I noticed in the pics you have it capped off with a black rubber plug.
PFF
System Bot
lowfierogt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post09-24-2004 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post
Sweet Good Job!!!!!!!!!!!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
WHAT NO DOGBONE!!!

Wow Loyde you sure have the talent with the 3800SC's ! Love the injector wiring ! hummm now I have to pull my engine again it seems
See ya at the RRR

------------------

98 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. only one in Austin Texas !

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:
The new Series III blower is so much more efficient in power output, keeping KR in check. The InterCooler will soon be available that offers some additional features the S2 does not for the Series II engines.

will the series III blower bolt up to a series II engine?

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kohburn:

will the series III blower bolt up to a series II engine?

The intake and the supercharger needs to be changed together when switching between the two. ZZPerformance sells a throttle body adapter to bolt the Series II TB to the Series III blower so you do not have to worry about the ETC and 04 PCM and wiring.

The series II intake can be mod'ed to except the S3 blower, just takes work with a mill, or very steady hand and grinder.

Kevin, the pics are about 6 days old. I have a dogbone and the shifter cable is now there. The MAF is still being determined where I want it.

Loyde

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

FastFieros

2698 posts
Member since Nov 2000

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

nice looking swap and good job, loyde. I do have one question though... What did you do with the crankcase vent line? I noticed in the pics you have it capped off with a black rubber plug.

Darth, I vent it through the oil cap. I will have new pics today. These are about 6 days old.

Loyde

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
are there any internal differences between series III and II? stronger rods etc?

FastFieros - so wiht that adaptor you could take a seriesIII and swap on the TB and ecm from a seriesII ?

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

are there any internal differences between series III and II? stronger rods etc?

FastFieros - so wiht that adaptor you could take a seriesIII and swap on the TB and ecm from a seriesII ?

This was the press release GM made back in 2003 http://www.fastfieros.com/enginesavailable/L32_new_changed.htm ... Note many changes to the 04 Series III. Even some things I have noticed are not mentioned. One is the alternator. The 04 alt has a one-way sprag bearing. Meaning, it will spin up in one direction with the RPM's, but on the deceleration side, it free wheels to reduce drag on the engine, and also reduce torsional twist in the alt.

Yes, I installed a Series III engine in December 2003 by swaping the intake, TB back to Series II so I could use the Series II PCM and wiring. See this install for pics > http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/dans3800sc/dans3800sc.htm

Loyde

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
sounds like the series III is a really good swap - even with backing up to the series II electronics and TB

you say you installed it in 2003.. so what model year of car would i search for.. 2004 right?

[This message has been edited by Kohburn (edited 09-24-2004).]

cardealer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cardealerSend a Private Message to cardealerDirect Link to This Post
now i know why you havnt emailed me back, you been a busy boy! looks very nice. when you get caught up my gtp/gtx needs some tuning.
-tony
Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post
Man that swap looks good. SO CLEAN. It almost looks as if it isnt wired.

GREAT JOB. Cant wait to see/here more on this.

------------------
-Chris -
Custom Gun Metal 86 GT 4.9 V8 5spd

Build up tread or MODS w/ Pics

PFF
System Bot
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post
this may seem silly but what are these three caps for? can't all be for egr stuff can they?

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

My brake booster line is hardline from the old EGR port under the throttle body.

Deleted from this engine is the

EVAP purge
Boost solenoid
EGR

Relocated is the
MAP sensor
MAF sensor
Coil Packs
BARO sensor L32 only

Loyde

Kohburn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

My brake booster line is hardline from the old EGR port under the throttle body.

Deleted from this engine is the

EVAP purge
Boost solenoid
EGR

Relocated is the
MAP sensor
MAF sensor
Coil Packs
BARO sensor L32 only

Loyde

that explains why its soooo clean looking

mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post
Good Lord Loyde

Those have got to be the single most chubby enducing pictures on the internet...

Kudo's to you and your installs, as I now have a goal to achive with my own install.

--Allen

------------------

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
You do great work Loyde. Not only making it work but also nice clean detailed install's. Thumbs up!
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-24-2004 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again for the kind words on the install. I really enjoy these 3800SC engines in Fieros. Power to weight ratios are just so right. The automatic transmissions shift so firm with the proper programming.

No one has noticed the fuel rails and lines? Humm, could that be a return to tank system like the 2004 Grand Prix and 01-02 Camaros, and many vettes today have? Its really simple to apply this to the Fiero down at the fuel filter area out of the way.

Loyde

TimGully

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TimGullySend a Private Message to TimGullyDirect Link to This Post

No one has noticed the fuel rails and lines?
Loyde

I noticed. I've been thinking of doing that myself - even made a 6061 billet housing for the regulator - but still can't decide if I really want to do it. The factory went with returnless lines for emissions reasons, not performance. The gas will soak up engine heat on top of the motor, and when it's returned to the tank it evaporates quicker.

BTW, nice clean install.

-Tim

------------------
84 Fiero, 3800SC Series II,4spd manual
12.90 @ 108.9mph

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Very nice!! I love the 3800SC! If I wasn't such a V8 fan, I'd get one in a heartbeat. But, I know me. V8's are what excite me. Still, I may have to make room for one of each. That's too cool looking of an install.

I know.... a V8 Formula 5-speed for my Hot Rod, and a Series III 3800SC automatic GT for my cruiser. Yeah, that's it.

------------------

USFiero1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2004 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFiero1Send a Private Message to USFiero1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula88:

Very nice!! I love the 3800SC! If I wasn't such a V8 fan, I'd get one in a heartbeat. But, I know me. V8's are what excite me. Still, I may have to make room for one of each. That's too cool looking of an install.

I know.... a V8 Formula 5-speed for my Hot Rod, and a Series III 3800SC automatic GT for my cruiser. Yeah, that's it.

Who'd want their cruiser to be faster than their hot rod ??

Back on topic nice install Loyde looks real nice!

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by USFiero1:

Who'd want their cruiser to be faster than their hot rod ??

Back on topic nice install Loyde looks real nice!

Someone HAD to be a smarta$$.
Who cares which is faster if they're both MINE!

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 09-25-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Updated pics today with new 3.5 inch CAI and MAF now in its final location.

More pics at http://www.fastfieros.com/projects/loyde_3800/index.htm

Thanks for looking,

Loyde

[This message has been edited by FastFieros (edited 09-28-2004).]

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2004 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Wow, looks like one hell of a clean install. Almost need more stuff in there!

Nate

------------------

My Web page

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
Well, since it needed some more options. I added the TAP (Touch Activated Power)

I did not get to use the Fiero Formula steering wheel at this time. Just didnt have time to do the wiring needed to get to that location.

Another thing that changed my mind what reading the 2004 Grand Prix Forum. They indicated that TAP on the steering was to hard to really use. They thought that shift on the stick would be better suited. So I used the spot where the power mirrors switch was supposed to be. This car does not have power mirrors, so the nice blank spot made a perfect place to rest my arm on the center console, and lay my fingers on the "upshift" and "downshift" buttons. My first test drive tonight was only about 5 miles, but it was really nice shifting manually up and down.

I will take pics later after I add the ignition key switch to the ashtray area.

Loyde

pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 03:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Awesome work!!

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Looks cleaner than an OEM install. Very nice work!
pred1tor83

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pred1tor83Send a Private Message to pred1tor83Direct Link to This Post
loyd they look like stock exhaust manifolds are they ??? plz spill the beans :P
roys88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for roys88fieroClick Here to visit roys88fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to roys88fieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow. Loyd, i am saving each and every one of my pennies so that someday you can do work like that for me, so that my car can be fast.

------------------
Real Sports cars only have 2 seats....

Matching numbers GT
#17889 of 26,402 made in 1988, 1of 241 yellow GT's

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

sounds like the series III is a really good swap - even with backing up to the series II electronics and TB

you say you installed it in 2003.. so what model year of car would i search for.. 2004 right?

The Series III was only in the 2004 Grand Prix so far. I sure there must be some 05's Chevrolet's out today that someone can find out if the Series III made it to the Monte or Impala. I had read that Chevrolet was using the Series II until 2006.

Loyde

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2004 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Very impressive work!

pm sent also

Thanks.

Pete

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave