Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Redesigning the dash...first idea (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
Redesigning the dash...first idea by Fie Ro
Started on: 05-09-2004 09:58 PM
Replies: 81
Last post by: Gecko on 12-03-2004 04:13 PM
Fie Ro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Now I am getting closer of finishing the body I am already drawing ideas for the interior I was already thinking of an "updated" dash but when I saw pictures of Madcurl's dash, that really was an eye opener....I started drawing some stuff and for fun I put it in my 3D prog and did some fooling around...

I plan on using the original cluster (with only the signal/warning lights functional!). aftermarket speedo and tach mounted in front ...etc.

Well, this is how far I came tonight:

Hope you like it!
------------------

1987 Pontiac Fiero GTR in Progress
1969 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 05-09-2004).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
hah that looks crazy but i like it
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'll give you an A+ for creativity but it's not to my personal liking.
CTFieroGT87

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CTFieroGT87Send a Private Message to CTFieroGT87Direct Link to This Post
I think that would actually suit your car very well with the direction your body mods have gone. I don't doubt for a moment that when finished, its gonna look awesome.

------------------
Christian Thomas
87 Pontiac Fiero GT Burgandy/Silver 5.7L ZZ4 5spd
86 Pontiac Fiero GT Red/Silver 2.8L 5spd

doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Looks futuristic... now you'll have to redesign the whole interior to match it

------------------
1986 Fiero SE

fierohobby

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohobbySend a Private Message to fierohobbyDirect Link to This Post
Futuristic, yes, with an Art Deco/50's jukebox aesthetic- but I like it.

-fh

shop_rat45

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shop_rat45Send a Private Message to shop_rat45Direct Link to This Post
In my opinion, I would try to get away from the "pod" design. I have always hated the stock interior. It makes the instrument cluster look like an after thought. But, if you are stuck on doing a pod setup, this would look great. Just my 2 cents. Some day I'll save up for a couple of quarters.

Kris

destroy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post
its the next generation Gameboy advanced!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2004 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Mr Spock take us to light speed !

I love it !!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post
No Sir... I do not like it!
But, This is your project and not mine...(Thank God!)

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built W I D E B O D Y ~ GT!! One of One!!
3.4DOHC/5speed swap coming soon..(gathering part's now!)

NY_FIERO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NY_FIEROClick Here to visit NY_FIERO's HomePageSend a Private Message to NY_FIERODirect Link to This Post
Holly crap batman!!!!!!!
creative though
PFF
System Bot
Malakyt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MalakytClick Here to visit Malakyt's HomePageSend a Private Message to MalakytDirect Link to This Post
One could easily make that of fiberglass. If you need any help fabricating, LMK... i can get one of those shells done it a day or two.

-Custom Illusions

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I see various opinions.... hehe
I am just trying out some ideas so they may look a bit extreme and different at first
I have been relatively conservative modding the body so I was thinking for the interior I might as well go mad

...... I could just swap an aftermarket dash in, But the few ones I really like are not available as a kit. But if I start making something myself I don't want to do an existing design for all the time I have to put into it.

.....I hate the stock dash too, but it IS part of the Fiero....an updated look could be cool I guess...If I am right the original Fierodash was ment as a modular design with an aircraft theme...(look at the doorhandles and the gaugepod) So that's my starting point. btw in my drawings it is much more smooth than the 3D stuff (which isn't finished yet) I want to stay close to the original setup but with modern knobs/vents/ gauges wherever possible or needed...

I will be doing the whole interior with the final "theme"....whatever that is what I end up with.....

Does anyone have the exact dimensions or even a 3D file of the original dash/interior?
There's more to try out

------------------

1969 Chevy Suburban

Tigger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TiggerSend a Private Message to TiggerDirect Link to This Post
Looks alright and very possible.

Only thing I'd recommend is to recess or inset the gauges or create a "roof" coming off the tangents of the radius of the side pods and bringing the current slope of the top of the pod over the gauges so glare won't be a problem.

[This message has been edited by Tigger (edited 05-10-2004).]

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
Looks like a Batmobile from the past... interesting concept!
tjxray99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjxray99Send a Private Message to tjxray99Direct Link to This Post
I like it, looks pretty cool. I have a couple of things that you may want to consider though.

1. where are you going to put the odometer, doesn't look like there is room for it at the top?

2. You are still missing the gas gauge in the center section. I only see one space for the Temp Gauge,

3. The side where the interiot dimmer light is, would that become a clock dial, type vs a roller?

Just a couple questions. Great job on creativity.

TJ

KitKar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitKarClick Here to visit KitKar's HomePageSend a Private Message to KitKarDirect Link to This Post
I typically don't like "Pods", but I think this design looks very promising.
Good luck with it.

------------------
Rick Lord
http://www.KingdomCustoms.com

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Looks kinda cool, in a "1970's high tech" kind of way. I'm guessing the coin-shaped parts on the left and right (3 per side) are pushbutton switches?

Personally, I'd like to do away with the instrument pod and "stretch" the dash out to fill that space. But a better pod would help with interior styling too. You'll have to come up with some other "gadgety" looking stuff for the interior, so the gauge pod doesn't look out of place. A different treatment for the HVAC/radio faceplate, the shifter area in the console, and front/rear speaker grilles might do the trick.

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I like it a lot. It is not too far off the current dash, yet more modern looking.
Rugby13

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rugby13Send a Private Message to Rugby13Direct Link to This Post
Looks great....its not to far from the stock dash...looks good!

-Chris

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the comments! I'll try to give some answers...

First of all, there's already some kind of theme sneaking in...

This pod is just for a bit of testing....dash version will be different.
I did a bit of work on the model today, colors: tan (like my MrMike seats) and gunmetal grey (close to the bodycolor, when its painted). Changed many small details, still not complete...

About the buttons: this is what I would like to use:

Not cheap but vandalism-resistant because they're used in public equipment

PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2004 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjxray99:
1. where are you going to put the odometer, doesn't look like there is room for it at the top?

2. You are still missing the gas gauge in the center section. I only see one space for the Temp Gauge,

3. The side where the interiot dimmer light is, would that become a clock dial, type vs a roller?

TJ

1. First of all, the speedometer and tach are moved a bit up for the design. The main reason the stock gauges are so low in the cluster is because thats the only place you can really see them! (through the steeringwheel). So this design might be less ergonomical
I plan on using white/faced or digital aftermarket gauges. Most aftermarket speedogauges have odometers build-in and I guess those gauges will light up enough to be readable without a cover...

2. Yeah thats right, I plan a "triple" rally gaugepod, so Fuel can move to that location.

3. In my drawings I used the original dimmer switch, covered with a bezel......In the model just a switch-object copy....uh.. damn, you've been really looking at the pictures! ...yes it should be a clockdial type I guess. ....will have to search for that one...Thanks

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
...a bit of work in progress:

After cleaning up and again lots of small changes:

------------------

1969 Chevy Suburban

Will-Martin

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Will-MartinClick Here to visit Will-Martin's HomePageSend a Private Message to Will-MartinDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

...a bit of work in progress:

After cleaning up and again lots of small changes:

Love em.

DanFiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DanFieroSend a Private Message to DanFieroDirect Link to This Post

This pod I assume takes place of the stock Gt gauge pod above the temp controls?? If it does, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I've been wanting to put a 3rd gauge up top and tilt them towards the driver.

Nice Work,

Dan

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2004 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DanFiero:

This pod I assume takes place of the stock Gt gauge pod above the temp controls?? If it does, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I've been wanting to put a 3rd gauge up top and tilt them towards the driver.

Nice Work,

Dan

Yeah it takes place of the stock GT/rally gauge.
I bought a pod with meters to go in my suburban. It was just gathering dust on my livingroom table for too long though ..I thought it could look nice in the GT in the meantime,,, Visually it fit almost right in there but it was too deep...so I decided to take a mold and a product for trying to mod and make it fit.without doing damage to the original!

It needed some cutting on the back side, I havent already finished it though, (bodywork prepping for paint is priority right now)
This pod is set up for standard 2" gauges and it should be possible to make your own set quite easily...

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 06:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
Rainy afternoon...so I put some time in modeling the midconsole:

It's fun to try some things. I am slowly trying to figure out how to make a real version.......looks like I am getting a new project in the future

[This message has been edited by Fie Ro (edited 06-02-2004).]

KingOfKings

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KingOfKingsClick Here to visit KingOfKings's HomePageSend a Private Message to KingOfKingsDirect Link to This Post
I love the looks of that console, but if that hole's for a subwoofer, you'd only be able to fix a 6 inch speaker, max.

------------------
*~ Out In The West Coast Shownin' Off My Bad Habits ~*

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I plan to reuse my 8" boston sub. It should fit I also moved the speaker up in the design, I made a sub box before but this one should be more ergonomical for people with longer arms The dimensions of the renderings might not have the exact dimensions but I am trying to stay close. It's just a starting point
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2004 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
I like the look, dont mind if I steal it do you
Well everything but the speaker, I have ear trouble and had to move my sub from where you have yours.
Good job hope you have good luck making it.

I plan to reuse my 8" boston sub. It should fit I also moved the speaker up in the design, I made a sub box before but this one should be more ergonomical for people with longer arms The dimensions of the renderings might not have the exact dimensions but I am trying to stay close. It's just a starting point

Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 04:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
BEAUTIFUL!!!
PFF
System Bot
Spyhunter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 86
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 05:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpyhunterSend a Private Message to SpyhunterDirect Link to This Post
What program r u using for modeling? You seem pretty good at it - is it what you do for a living? I have been working on and off on a mesh of a GT in Cinema 4D for quite some time now, but getting the details done takes forever!

------------------

Black '87 GT Auto - Daily Driver & Autocrosser
Eibach springs, Koni shocks, Kosei K1s, Kumho Ecsta V700s, poly bushings, rear swaybar, MSD ignition, shift-kit, custom intake scoop

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I am using cinema 4D for years now but normally I rarely model something completely from scratch. Most are flying logo's and special effects for stationcalls and leaders (so it is part of my job)
Drawing freehand splines and extruding them is what I used a lot here and it works great. Modeling needs a lot of tweaking but thats rather easy to do in C4D.....however most parts are just some primitives combined...
Joe Torma

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2004 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe TormaClick Here to visit Joe Torma's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe TormaDirect Link to This Post
Nice modeling job I particularly like the center console!
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2004 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to post this one:

These ideas wont be "virtual" only: I dug up some parts I can use for the mockups I will make. My old crashed GT still supplies many parts to my projects.

Some more work in progress:

Oh well...having some fun :

DotTC

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2004 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DotTCClick Here to visit DotTC's HomePageSend a Private Message to DotTCDirect Link to This Post
Thats looks absolutely beautiful.

------------------
*ring* *ring* *ring* *ring* *ring* Hi, this is Kettle, leave a message at the beep.. *beep* Hello Kettle, this is the pot.. You're black

PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2004 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
That's some AMAZING design work ! When you actually make the parts, you should make molds with the idea of reproducing them - I think you have some customers forming . You can make your efforts pay the cost of doing your own car.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2004 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the final result. Do you have any special plans for the overhead console lights or headliner?
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:
Do you have any special plans for the overhead console lights or headliner?

Funny you ask that, I have been driving around a long time without headliner and overhead accesoiries (since I swapped the rearclip). I have painted the original parts though and put them in a box. Last week I found this box again......and well, I just took this one to clarify what happened ...:
Hmmmmmmm.

...Had to light them up...

These are aftermarket LED sidemarkers for VW (Golf/Passat)...I was going to put them under the rear decklid but this could be cool too...

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2004 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post

Fie Ro

3735 posts
Member since Sep 2001

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay