Pictures of "shaved" fieros by Beene
Started on: 01-13-2004 12:40 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: 1986GTV8 on 04-22-2004 02:20 PM
Beene

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BeeneSend a Private Message to BeeneDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking about shaving the moldings and door handles/locks from my car but I would like to see some pics first. They don't have to be painted or anything, work-in-progress cars will do. Thanks

------------------
If I'm a nobody, and nobody's perfect, than I guess I'm perfect!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post
Here's a really phat smoothed one-

------------------
'87GT Fully modded, 3" Drop on 17's, 3800 turbo on the way....
'92 LeBaron soft top, The Players car. :)

1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
How exactly are you gonna be able to replace body panels, if need be, when its glassed together?
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2004 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
My car looks just like this one only that I left the door handles,why worry about that when the time comesI will think about thatbut the car looks beautiful and up to date.

------------------
Tuners of the Quickest 4.9
12.51@118 mph

4.5/4.9 (RSR)Hi Perf. Caddi-V8 Fully Blueprint&Balanced Rotating Assembly
Custom Intake Manifold
Custom Machined Heads
Victor Reinz Head Gaskets
50-150HP Nos Power Shot.
Holley 510-0-4412C Carb.

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 04-19-2004).]

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
What did you use to fill in the space? What type a material gave you a flexible enough bond not to crack the paint? I want to do this but I told it was gonna be very hard to get it not to crack.

------------------

datacop

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for datacopClick Here to visit datacop's HomePageSend a Private Message to datacopDirect Link to This Post
I gotta admit, That is a beautiful car.
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post01-13-2004 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
What I did was I ground down the molding after which I used drywall screws to hold the moldings firm then used fiber glass on the sides and doors, front I used flexible bumper repair filler if you use filler to cover the molding spaces there is a possibility it will crack and fall out that is why I used moldings and grind them down to use less filler.

------------------
Tuners of the Quickest 4.9
12.51@118 mph

4.5/4.9 (RSR)Hi Perf. Caddi-V8 Fully Blueprint&Balanced Rotating Assembly
Custom Intake Manifold
Custom Machined Heads
Victor Reinz Head Gaskets
50-150HP Nos Power Shot.
Holley 510-0-4412C Carb.

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 01-14-2004).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20010706-1-004850.html

some blurry pics of one i brought and play with when i can. don't have any recent ones. no side molding and the door handles are kind sanded down flush with the body but still there.i plan to leave them there as i'm scared of electric doors going out on me. i'm leaving it shaved so as i switch parts i either find them with no molding (like the pisa scarab front facia) or do it my self. if it's a fairly stiff section i use glass. if i need it more flexable i use bumper epoxy (3m automix or the auto zone equivilent).

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Nice PicS! Wow who's the photographer... he's got.. umm... real talent. lol
1985FieroGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
Here's an idea I just thought of, just in case if the panels like the bumpers or quarters need to be removed, leave a thin line between them. And use bolts, so you can unbolt the piece in case of an accident, so you'll still have a mostly shaved look, but won't have to worry about cutting anything if it breaks. Is it a good idea?
8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Well, if you ever have to replace a panel, then why worry about tearing up the smoothed one. It has to be replaced anyway!

I have never understood that argument for not doing smoothed panels.

PFF
System Bot
iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
There are reasons to take off or replace panels besides a damaged panel. A good example would be draining the coolant when your coolant pipe bolt is stripped. The quarter panels can be removed for access to the hose and clamps.

The only problem I see with shaved parts is the requirement to resmooth and repaint the part for anything that would require removing the part.

Any suggestions?

fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtDirect Link to This Post
i don't understand why one couldn't use snap on connections to hold a smooth panel in place. like the outter edges will be screwed in like normal, but everywhere you smooth in a seam add some snap in clips(like what the door panels and interior trim use). that way you will have strength and still be able to remove the panels, they will just be much larger panels to remove. but anyone who's removed a fender knows how much they flex, i would think a system like that would work flawlessly

------------------

My 85 Fiero GT

Unsafe At Any Speed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 315
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Unsafe At Any SpeedSend a Private Message to Unsafe At Any SpeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 8Ball:

Well, if you ever have to replace a panel, then why worry about tearing up the smoothed one. It has to be replaced anyway!

I have never understood that argument for not doing smoothed panels.

Because now instead of having a fender, you have a single piece front-end with two fenders. same with the rear clip and quarter panels. The trim on the door and the trim on the fenders are the only pieces that can be smoothed without making two panels into one.

fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2004 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierce_gt:

i don't understand why one couldn't use snap on connections to hold a smooth panel in place. like the outter edges will be screwed in like normal, but everywhere you smooth in a seam add some snap in clips(like what the door panels and interior trim use). that way you will have strength and still be able to remove the panels, they will just be much larger panels to remove. but anyone who's removed a fender knows how much they flex, i would think a system like that would work flawlessly

Scott, your idea is a good one, but you would still see a crack where the 2 parts meet. My goal while *smoothing* my car is to make is as smooth as possible, therefore no cracks. I can live with seperating the bumper from the fenders with a chisel when the need comes.

Some links:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043889.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/045045.html
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/042920.html

Edit: add links

----------------------------------------
Shave in progress

[This message has been edited by fiero_silva (edited 01-14-2004).]

hvneye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hvneyeSend a Private Message to hvneyeDirect Link to This Post
Any rear pictures of that car? I'm smoothing out the fiero body on my car also. :]

------------------

hvneye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hvneyeSend a Private Message to hvneyeDirect Link to This Post

hvneye

421 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by iluvmacs:

A good example would be draining the coolant when your coolant pipe bolt is stripped. The quarter panels can be removed for access to the hose and clamps.

Any suggestions?

You can reach this by unscrewing a couple bolts from the fender welds.

------------------

8Ball

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 162
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2004 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 8BallSend a Private Message to 8BallDirect Link to This Post
Sometime ago, in SmooothGT's topic about him starting this process, I suggested a method of attaching the panels. I am certain it would work, it would just require a small ammount of fab work. But if you are smoothing them, a little more work should not bother you.

Use the Plastic Motherboard standoffs. The ones that snap into place, not screw in. One end has a flat section, this would be mounted to the panel. The other end in an arrow shaped piece that opens up to bite into the hole. So what you would do, is where ever there USEd to be a screw, push a plastic standoff into the hole. Then make some minor changes to the back of the panel so you can slide the panel down on top of the standoffs. The round end would fit into the slots you made ont he back of the panel, holding the whole thing together.

I know my description is not the best, but I can see it clearly in my head, and I am sure it would work.

Here is a link to the standoffs I am reffering to......
http://compucablelink.com/atxstndoff.htm

Randy

hvneye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hvneyeSend a Private Message to hvneyeDirect Link to This Post
bump
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

Here's an idea I just thought of, just in case if the panels like the bumpers or quarters need to be removed, leave a thin line between them. And use bolts, so you can unbolt the piece in case of an accident, so you'll still have a mostly shaved look, but won't have to worry about cutting anything if it breaks. Is it a good idea?

No. If you get in an accident just deal with it. It's goint to have to be re-smoothed into place and such. Thats part of owning a custom car. You have to pay to play.

SLAMMED87GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post
Basically the bottom line is, if you want a sweet, smoothed, custom looking Fiero, your not going to worry about what could happen to it. If it happens you deal with it, fix it, re smooth it and you again have a phat looking smooth Fiero. Really, if your going to put the much work into it, your going to do what it takes to fix it if a misahp shuld occur.
PFF
System Bot
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2004 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
So folks are removing the side moldings and then using fiberglass as filler on the front fender, the door, and the lower panel in front of the rear wheel? And then using flexible urethane filler on the front and rear bumper?
Fiberglass and urethane have different expansion rates, so I would think normal climate changes (summer-winter) would be enough to cause the fiberglass and urethane (and paint) to separate and crack over time.
Has anyone taken pictures, or created a website to better explain how this modification has been achieved??
ChopTop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChopTopSend a Private Message to ChopTopDirect Link to This Post
Bump for anyone that can answer my question. I'm beginning to think this is one of those modifications that folks like to talk about but don't want to explain for fear others will copy them. I could have missed threads that explain it better, but I've done searches and it never seems to be explained, more or less progress pics. Thanks folks

[This message has been edited by ChopTop (edited 01-20-2004).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ChopTop:

Bump for anyone that can answer my question. I'm beginning to think this is one of those modifications that folks like to talk about but don't want to explain for fear others will copy them. I could have missed threads that explain it better, but I've done searches and it never seems to be explained, more or less progress pics. Thanks folks

Sure hope I can help...
I did like you asked EXCEPT for the fact that I ALSO used F'glass on the fascia's as well... I used a HIGH number of layer's of glass though.... So far NO CRACK'S. and it's been 2 FULL YEAR'S since the rear fascia was done...
I am NOT saying it WILL NEVER crack...
I am NOT saying it is the correct way, nor the better way.....
JUST the way MINE WAS DONE!!

SmoothGT!!

------------------
New Name.... New Attitude....
AKA. "SmoothGT"....

Custom Built SHAVED~WIDEBODY~GT!!

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 12:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

NotAFieroAnyLonger

4413 posts
Member since Dec 2003

Originally posted by 1985FieroGT:

So, you are talking about 'CUSTOM MADE PANEL'S' right...??? One's that you could just bold on right..??

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
The idea seems right but there will be a mounting problem. Many parts are made to overlap each other and being mounted together. So you will have to make some brackets on the frame if you want to mount ( and to be able to remove) panels individualy...that will be a lot of work

But I would love to see any good reason why I should shave my mouldings... I am still modifying

fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Direct Link to This Post
Smoooooth, you have done alot of this kind of work on your Fiero....ummm.....car....no, it's a Fiero. Im going to do it the way you did it...I guess filling a molded panel, you have to take a chance.

ChopTop ,I guess its more or less live and learn.. Im also shaving my panels in the basement this winter along with some other custom things., so I searched around here and found some usefull stuff to get me going...I'll figure out the rest later.

------------------

[This message has been edited by fiero67 (edited 02-19-2004).]

NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

But I would love to see any good reason why I should shave my mouldings... I am still modifying

I DARE YOU!!
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2004 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post

A couple I had from the GTA show.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2004 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
Fiero67,

UMMM why do you have my sig picture attached to your name,

Please explain, cause thats the one i use on other forums, like the GenVibe, W-body, MyMonte and ClubGP....

Rob

------------------

88 TTop coupe (CJB #95), 96 3.4DOHC/5 speed in progress

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 02-18-2004).]

soup

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2004 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
thats funny, guess he thought it was his car... stealing sigs.. sheeesh

I am smoothing my panels, way too many projects, so I havent done much as of yet, just started wiring the door solenoids...

When you do something like this, you dont worry about what happens in an accident. It is just like a custom paint job. You dont get airbrushing done, and then worry what is going to happen if you need to replace a panel. My car will have both, custom paint and smooth panels, if I get in an accident, then it is a good thing I have insurance, and if it is the other person's fault, I sure hope that they have good insurance. Cars are an investment, but def not a safe investment. They are high risk, and if you want to try and protect yourself, then get the insurance to cover it, have the money and time to redo it, or just don't drive it. thats the best advice i can give

PFF
System Bot
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by soup:

I am smoothing my panels, way too many projects, so I havent done much as of yet, just started wiring the door solenoids...

When you do something like this, you dont worry about what happens in an accident. It is just like a custom paint job. You dont get airbrushing done, and then worry what is going to happen if you need to replace a panel. My car will have both, custom paint and smooth panels, if I get in an accident, then it is a good thing I have insurance, and if it is the other person's fault, I sure hope that they have good insurance. Cars are an investment, but def not a safe investment. They are high risk, and if you want to try and protect yourself, then get the insurance to cover it, have the money and time to redo it, or just don't drive it. thats the best advice i can give

EXACTLY!!

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
Smoothing that car brought it into and past the '90's
Makes it look 15 years newer.
Like they said would hate to get into an accident.
Que: what to use to fill in where the molding was

later
JimmyB.

------------------

fiero67

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 107
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2004 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero67Send a Private Message to fiero67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

Fiero67,

UMMM why do you have my sig picture attached to your name,

Please explain, cause thats the one i use on other forums, like the GenVibe, W-body, MyMonte and ClubGP....

Rob

Hey Rob,
No way do I steal sigs...no offense but I like mine better.... as I told you in the PM you sent me, I just checked the name of your sig pic and it was the same as mine....
"sig2.jpg"
Yours must have bumped mine off the host and when i posted that and included my sig...it grabbed yours
CLIFF PLEASE MAKE NOTE OF THIS!!!!
I had to rename my sig in order to use it again.
John

------------------

jimmybpei

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimmybpeiSend a Private Message to jimmybpeiDirect Link to This Post
bump
fiero_silva

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2004 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
I will be shaving my door handles, mouldings, keyholes... EVERYTHING once my car comes out of storage in a month or so....

I will also be doing a step by step wrightup of the entire process from body work, to electronics to paint....

------------------
---

destroy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2004 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for destroyClick Here to visit destroy's HomePageSend a Private Message to destroyDirect Link to This Post
Here's "work in progress"

Arg.. im slacking... I need some motivation to get the rest of it done.

B&BSpyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for B&BSpyderClick Here to visit B&BSpyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to B&BSpyderDirect Link to This Post
Here's ours shaved, we used an extra set of door skins, cut sections to fit were the molding was and used a flexible filler, no signs of cracking
Joyce

------------------

Black-Azz-GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Black-Azz-GTSend a Private Message to Black-Azz-GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by B&BSpyder:

This car is dying to have some bigger, shinnier wheels!

------------------
-Chris

Custom Gun Metal 86 GT
Look here for more pics - https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/040573.html

***95 Camaro 3.4 swap, Ported and polished heads and intakes, CRX CAI, Custom Cam, steel vacuum lines, steel braided EGR tube, new Wire Harness, New Exhaust, No Cat, Flowmaster, polished poly dog bone. Isuzu 5 speed, Short through shifter
***Intrax 2" drop springs, Full Polly Suspension, Sencetrack Struts and Shocks, Grand AM brake upgrade, steel braided brake lines, 17" Gun Metal Wheels, Khumo Tires
***Racing Seats, SunPro tach w/ shift light, White face guages, carbon fiber Steering wheel, Carbon Fiber dash accents and custom sphere shift knob,

KitKar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2004 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitKarClick Here to visit KitKar's HomePageSend a Private Message to KitKarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by destroy:

Here's "work in progress"

I love that. I like the smooth look too but I think you need some kind of beauty line down the side. On the Fiero, it isn't too bad the way it forms a ridge when it's smoothed, but I think this might look better.

------------------
Rick Lord
http://www.KingdomCustoms.com

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay