Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  Cleaning up the Firewall. (How's it look?)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cleaning up the Firewall. (How's it look?) by Oreif
Started on: 06-08-2003 08:34 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: STRATOHACKER on 06-10-2003 02:22 AM
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I preparation for the 3.4L install, I am cleaning up the engine compartment. I started with the firewall side first.
I bought this stuff from Jegs:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=31207&prmenbr=361

Removed all un-needed lines/hoses, removed all the stock black stuff, and installed the new stuff.

How's it look??

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Here is a close up of one of the pics:

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
oooo...now stick that 3.4 in there!

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed
yes im 17
yes this is my first car
no im not rich

Tina

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Petty spiffy looking

Gotta wonder though,
think it's going to stay stuck on your firewall.

Tina

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tina:

Petty spiffy looking

Gotta wonder though,
think it's going to stay stuck on your firewall.

Tina

There is a high temp spray adhesive that you buy with it. I just wiped the firewall down with an acetone/alchohol mix to clean/de-grease then sprayed the Firewall and installed what I pre-cut/measured. The edges/seams are covered with aluminum tape.

Check out the edge just under the window.

Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post
Hey in about an hour or 2 Ill be at the stage where you can do that to mine, if you wanna come over

LoL

Adam

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Arizona85GT:

Hey in about an hour or 2 Ill be at the stage where you can do that to mine, if you wanna come over

LoL

Adam

No way, It's way to hot down there! (yeah, yeah, I know it's a "dry" heat.)

LOL

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
Yep looks GREAT !
I used some a/c alum tape on the seems and The small amount I had left over from the floorpan seemed to be plenty! I sprayed some Krylon rust prevent on there first THEN used the spray glue!
Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

No way, It's way to hot down there! (yeah, yeah, I know it's a "dry" heat.)

LOL

We Got a portable Swamp cooler in the garage put it right on me as I work on the Fiero, it feels great, so now you dont have an excuse SO COME ON DOWN! LOL

Nice Job Oreif

Adam

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
looks really good
My7Fieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for My7FierosSend a Private Message to My7FierosDirect Link to This Post
Lookin' good Dave. I was checking out West Coast Fiero website last night and I believe they sell something like that as well. I'll be putting it in my Indy soon when the engine comes out....it looks much cleaner that way.
PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by My7Fieros:

Lookin' good Dave. I was checking out West Coast Fiero website last night and I believe they sell something like that as well. I'll be putting it in my Indy soon when the engine comes out....it looks much cleaner that way.

Get the spray adhesive from Jegs, I cut a piece and glues it to a painted bracket. 2 days later I tried to remove it using a heat gun. I was able to dis-color the insulation, but it never came loose.

Jegs P/N 775-27828

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Oreif

16460 posts
Member since Jan 2000
Well that's wierd, I replied to my7fieor's and my post didn't go to the top?
Let's see if this works?

OK, That worked. HMMM something strange is afoot at the Circle K today.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 06-09-2003).]

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
So, Oreif, when you get this done (maybe you have done this) are you going to post ALL the specs for the engine? (including part numbers), wiring changes etc.
I think you are going for a carb'd engine, edelbrock manifold, cam, etc. I think you were getting 220HP non-turbo/supercharged?
Also, does IL. have an emmissions check and are you using a CAT? I thought IL. had an emmissions check? Even if they don't, how can they let you go from FI to carb?. I though Federal law would not let a person do that?..Paul
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Paul Prince:

So, Oreif, when you get this done (maybe you have done this) are you going to post ALL the specs for the engine? (including part numbers), wiring changes etc.
I think you are going for a carb'd engine, edelbrock manifold, cam, etc. I think you were getting 220HP non-turbo/supercharged?
Also, does IL. have an emmissions check and are you using a CAT? I thought IL. had an emmissions check? Even if they don't, how can they let you go from FI to carb?. I though Federal law would not let a person do that?..Paul

First, Yes once I am all done I am going to make a CD-ROM of all I have done. It will include part numbers, Prices, stores where parts came from, Specs, (Like where to set the distributor advance curve at), Pics of where everything is mounted, what needs to be modified, a schematic of the wiring, Dyno data, head flow data, and what exactly was done to the heads, and an actual account of hours spent. So far my total cost for the engine is $1800, The trans is $1200, and the cradle/suspension/engine compartment is $350.
The only "cheat" is I traded my old engine and cradle for a borla exhaust system.

As for emission testing, Yes Illinois has emission testing. Since I have 2 (soon to be 3!) kids I can't drive the Fiero to work and I don't drive it in the winter. With the limited use it gets, I have it insured as a classic showcar. This insures the car for it's appraised value and allows me to get it exempt from emission testing. I am not using a catalytic converter. Illinois will let you exempt the car if you provide the proper information. I know a few who daily drive their car and still have it exempt legally.
You just have to re-apply for the exempt status every 2 years. It's been exempt for the last 4 years. (I removed the cat back then)

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 01:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Oreif,
I bought some insulation that looks very similar from Ebay. Its a few dollars less. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2418189911&category=6763

From Dragracing.com

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
To be more correct, only selected ares in Illinois have emissions testing. I live 50 miles north of St. Louis MO (In Illinois) and do not have it. I have been in this area my whole life, and have never had emissions or safety inspections. It's nice out here in the country!

------------------

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bazooka:

Oreif,
I bought some insulation that looks very similar from Ebay. Its a few dollars less. [URL=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2418189911&category=6763]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2418189911&category=6763[/ URL]

From Dragracing.com

Mine is the double-sided. The Ebay ad states that one is single sided but they do have the double-sided stuff available. The double-sided stuff is suppose to adhere better.

Bazooka

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BazookaClick Here to visit Bazooka's HomePageSend a Private Message to BazookaDirect Link to This Post
Oreif,
Yes, I figured it was a premium quality. WCF offered a precut insulation for about $80, a bit pricey and I don't know if that was double sided either. I figure the spray and tape, and maybe some clips should hold the critter. It's a smart move to do the insulation when the bay is empty. Are you also wrapping the harness with some high temp sheathing? It's also a good time to do the trunk panel above the muffler. I have the sbc and the ecm in the trunk gets toasting hot so I'lle be using foil insulation back there. Your project looks good.
gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
Looking Good!!!!

------------------

STRATOHACKER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for STRATOHACKERSend a Private Message to STRATOHACKERDirect Link to This Post
Heat shield looks great should keep engine out of the interior too.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock