Pennock's Fiero Forum
  General Fiero Chat - Archive
  KYB Rear Struts - need part number please..

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

KYB Rear Struts - need part number please.. by Rickker
Started on: 03-20-2003 09:14 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: turbotoad on 03-22-2003 11:07 PM
Rickker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Could somebody please post the KYB part number or model designation for the rear shock/strut? This is for an '88GT, but I think they are the same for all years. I am trying to source these from a local auto performance shop, but only the front KYB shocks come up on their computer. The guy said he could likely order the rear struts if I could give him the part number.
Thanks,
...Rickker
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
If you are looking at KYB GR-2s, use the same rear strut listed for 85-87 Fieros. (That's what the Fiero Store would sell you.) Some have reported slight interference that required a little grinding on the right rear knuckle, but my '88 Formula did not. I like the KYBs on my Fiero.

Current prices (each) on KYB GR-2s from TireRack: front $16, rear $52.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
I have the KYB GR-2 struts on the back of my 88 Formula and love them! (Gas-A-Just up front). I did have to grind mine slightly for clearance, but it's not much at all.

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
Fiero rear strut
KYB GR2 - 234005
KONI - 8741-1063
Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Rainman. The part number is what I needed. Also, I appreciate the heads up on the slight mods needed to mount them. Should not be a problem

...Rickker

Fformula88

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fformula88Send a Private Message to Fformula88Direct Link to This Post
KYB's went onto my Formula without any needed modifications. I do like them, and noticed a big difference, but then again I replaced the original struts which were completely shot.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2003 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
I put the GR2's on the back of my 88 and did run into the interference fit that Formula88 mentioned.

I didn't remove material from the strut, I removed a tiny amount from the back of the knuckle. Won't ever have to worry about that problem again when I replace the struts.

------------------

1988GT T-Tops, 5spd, Loaded

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2003 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, jelly. You can show me where the material should be removed when I get together with you in a week or so.

....Rickker

turbotoad

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2003 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickker:

Thanks, jelly. You can show me where the material should be removed when I get together with you in a week or so.

....Rickker

How about showing us now. I just ordered a set of KYB struts last night and would like to know where this knuckle material should be removed.

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2003 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
ive had mine for about 1-1/2 months now, and im finally gonna put them on tommorrow (YEA) i got them from tire rasck and i recived them at my door 21 hours after ordering them

------------------
Rich
99 X-treme
97 Eclipse GS-T
92 325i
White 86 SE V6

Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2003 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by turbotoad:

How about showing us now. I just ordered a set of KYB struts last night and would like to know where this knuckle material should be removed.

Look at the pic I posted. When you put the strut up to the knuckle, you'll see where this area will touch (if it touches). It's a pointed part of the knuckle. Just flatten off the point some.

PFF
System Bot
Formula88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2003 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Formula88

53788 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by turbotoad:

Look at the pic I posted. When you put the strut up to the knuckle, you'll see where this area will touch (if it touches). It's a pointed part of the knuckle. Just flatten off the point some.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2003 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Ok, I have a set off 88 rear knuckles at the shop, I'll try and remember to grab a pic of the area I removed.

Gonna agree with Formula88 again and say it is the pointed part behind the top bolt hole in the knuckle.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
I removed some material from right around where I have the black line in this picture.

turbotoad

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for turbotoadSend a Private Message to turbotoadDirect Link to This Post
jelly2m8,

Thanks for the picture. Looks like a job for the good ol' dremmel.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock