Started on: 03-01-2003 05:47 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: fierocsp on 03-07-2003 06:39 PM
Tabs31

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post
Does anybody know if anybody makes strut bars for the iron duke? I've seen some that fit the v6 on west coast fieros website and they don't have it for the duke.

I'm looking for one for my car?? I'm dying for one.

------------------

With the accurate understanding of god and his law they went about the work of building a new nation....The Rainbow Children.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2003 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I heard that the one Darrel Morse sells will fit behind the air cleaner assy of the Duke. Worse comes to worse, u just mod the brackets so it fits between. I don't think it does much for rigidity anyways.

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
R.I.P.--1986 GT Daily Driver, 4:10s, NX 50 Shot, Borla exhaust, ported manifolds, more goodies
--1986 SE V6, Mostly stock W/Integrated rockers and COMING SOON: Intercooled Turbo!!! (possibly)
--1984 SE 4.9, IMSA spoiler, Duel exhuast, GT rear bumper, Konis, drop spindles, Rear adjustable perch, Poly total kit, Poly cradle bushings, Big front bar, Added rear bar, 11.25" brakes on all corners w/SS hoses, Fancy wheels wrapped w/soft rubber, and much much more.

raw1111

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raw1111Send a Private Message to raw1111Direct Link to This Post
o/t but today i seen a 92 lumina with a 2.5 and the breather was totally different(think beretta 2.0 style) i was gonna get it but the one bolt hole was craked anyone ever put one of these on a fiero??

------------------

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-02-2003 09:30 AM   Send a Private Message to raw1111Direct Link to This Post
The strut bar does do a lot to improve the handling of the car, I can assure you that it does makes a difference, no matter what other people may think. I have improved my time by .1 sec in Chicago boxes or in slaloms. I have proved it many times in our region's test and tune days.

I have built one myself out of about $5 worth of scrap metal. I used a 1" x 1" sq tubing welded to a c shape metal plate that has the three struct mount holes in it, e-mail me and will show you a picture of the homemade struct bar.
Kevin

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2003 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
I personally would love to make one, however it is few and far between when we actually have a 4 cylinder here to base new products off of. It could be done very easily, just need to have a car here.

And to follow up to the above post, it is true, the bars do absolutely nothing except enhance the appearance of the engine bay. If you were to peel back the trunk carpeting you will find one HELL of a strut bar welded to the trunk bulkhead all ready.

------------------
( the above was the thoughts, views, and opinions of a disgruntled Fiero mechanic, and do not express or
imply those of West Coast Fiero, Fieros West, or any other organization - just that of this poor
bastard )
:)

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post03-03-2003 02:04 AM   Send a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocsp:

The strut bar does do a lot to improve the handling of the car, I can assure you that it does makes a difference, no matter what other people may think.

The only other person I've heard of that actually felt an improvement with one was Triad. It turned out that the bar was holding his car together since the rear framerails were rotted out of it.
From the sound of it you probably put alot of work into your car and would notice a rusted frame though.

If someone could figure out how to triangulate the struts with the firewall instead of the trunk, while still having room for stuff like the engine and battery, I'd consider getting one.

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 02:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Wait just a minute...tabs...your telling me you got a 4cyl in that sweet car of yours?

------------------

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-03-2003 07:17 AM   Send a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero, Have you ever proved it though the slaloms and chicago boxes, with a timing system. I do not think so! Our region will have another test and tune day this Sunday, once again I will back up my statement. Where is your $$$.
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
This is one of Darrell Morse's strut tower braces (he is listed under Fiero Parts Vendors under the link at the top of your page).

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 03-04-2003).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Thats what I was thinkin Minngreen. But with the air cleaner assy. of the 4cyl there is a tighter clearance back there. I'm sure it'd work out ok, given your dog bone and other mounts weren't worn out allowing the engine to move back and forth.
fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-03-2003 12:29 PM   Send a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Quotation taken directly from West Coast Fiero Website under their suspension section:

“Strut Tower Brace helps in firmly tying the two Strut Towers together to eliminate flex and increases suspension control.
This greatly improves the rear end handling in your Fiero.”

It is all that a guy can make one on his own, that the other vendors charge $129.00 plus shipping.

If this quotation is wrong, then why are they advertising this?

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Darrell's stuff: http://www.diginostics.com/Fiero/Custom/Darrell_Morse/darrell_morse.html

[This message has been edited by MinnGreenGT (edited 03-04-2003).]

Leafy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LeafySend a Private Message to LeafyDirect Link to This Post
Tabs, first off, your car looks great and I was very suprised the first time I heard that you were only packin a Duke in that engine bay, which in turn had lead me to believe that you have done some extensive work into getting your car to look like it does today. Are you planning to rid that car of the 4 banger anytime soon? It's just that the car looks so good, It's dying for the go to match the show if you know what I mean... I bet you get alot of guys who want to race you because your car looks so good, not knowing what is actually the motivation for the car itself. Since I have a 2M4, I'm always curious as to what plans someone like yourself has for their car in the near or distant future. Again, lookin good!

Leafy

P.S. you a Leafs Fan???

------------------
86' Fiero 2M4, A work in progress, but the potential is there!

Tabs31

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tabs31Send a Private Message to Tabs31Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leafy:

Tabs, first off, your car looks great and I was very suprised the first time I heard that you were only packin a Duke in that engine bay, which in turn had lead me to believe that you have done some extensive work into getting your car to look like it does today. Are you planning to rid that car of the 4 banger anytime soon? It's just that the car looks so good, It's dying for the go to match the show if you know what I mean... I bet you get alot of guys who want to race you because your car looks so good, not knowing what is actually the motivation for the car itself. Since I have a 2M4, I'm always curious as to what plans someone like yourself has for their car in the near or distant future. Again, lookin good!

Leafy

P.S. you a Leafs Fan???

The reason I have a 4 banger is cuz when I bought my fiero I really didn't know what a fiero was.

What I really wanted was a Trans Am, But I didn't like the fact that the Trans Am was so big and long. so my brother told me that one of his friends brothers was selling a fiero, which he told me was like a smaller version of the trans am.

Hell when I bought the car I didn't even know the engine was in the back till' I got it home.

It wasn't till I was told about the forum, that I really got into fieros and made this...

Into this....

And the best is still to come

------------------

With the accurate understanding of god and his law they went about the work of building a new nation....The Rainbow Children.

wpgfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wpgfieroSend a Private Message to wpgfieroDirect Link to This Post
hmmm, so you just added that front end? I never knew it started out with that kinda nose(whats the technical name for it?)
you should post a buildup of it

Chris.

VITALEFFECTS626

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VITALEFFECTS626Send a Private Message to VITALEFFECTS626Direct Link to This Post
all im saying tabs you are the s#!t, How you can change a ugly car like that and turn it into a work of art is unreal my own opinion you have the badest ass nothback and skitime has the badest ass speedback i also have a 85 duke put gt bumper on
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
While we're on it.. Tabs, I must also agree that my car looks as good as yours when its outta the paint shop. I mean, theres nothing very drastic about the car, but yet it just looks soo clean and sleek.. Maybe its the color? the Wheels? Idunno..

It DOES look good!

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Maybe its the color? the Wheels? Idunno..

It DOES look good!

I think it's Both the wheels & the color! A very nice ride in any case!

morse86@aol.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post
Hello all! Here we go again. Seems like I have to defend this product about once a year or so. Does the strut tower brace work? Yes!!! The very Idea that people think that the sheet metal structure in the trunk of a Fiero is real strong is absolute bull #%&* About four years ago I modeled the fiero sheet metal structure in a program called cosmos. It is a finite eliment analisys programe that shows where the critical stress points are. This model showed that even under slight corner loading that the Fiero strut towers flex about a 3/16" total. It may not sound like a lot, But it definantly affects the suspension geomitry to the point where you can feel it. Add to this movment with some of the rest of the 84-87 Fiero rear suspension problems like bump steer issues and you can now see why you would want to limit this movement. As for west coast Fiero bar, It would probably be an OK buy if they would actually send you it after taking your money! As for fitting a duke, I have a couple of customers with the bars installed in 4 cylinder coupes. The fit is a little tight around the air filter housing. BTW I have redesign the end brackets to be full circle. I now have them in stock in either red or black powder coat. The price is $120.00 shipped to your door. I also garentee for 30 days after your purchase that If you find that you do not like this bar once you have installed it, You can send it back for a 100% refund.
Please e-mail me for more information and / or pictures. Thanks for the space,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

[This message has been edited by morse86@aol.com (edited 03-04-2003).]

Philphine

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2003 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilphineSend a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Leper:

If someone could figure out how to triangulate the struts with the firewall instead of the trunk, while still having room for stuff like the engine and battery, I'd consider getting one.

that's something i want to try with a morse bar i got from triad for my convertible.

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-05-2003 08:03 AM   Send a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Morse86 for your kind words. Right on brother.
PFF
System Bot
Leper
No longer registered
Report this Post03-05-2003 10:51 PM   Send a Private Message to PhilphineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by morse86@aol.com:

About four years ago I modeled the fiero sheet metal structure in a program called cosmos. It is a finite eliment analisys programe that shows where the critical stress points are. This model showed that even under slight corner loading that the Fiero strut towers flex about a 3/16" total. It may not sound like a lot, But it definantly affects the suspension geomitry to the point where you can feel it. Add to this movment with some of the rest of the 84-87 Fiero rear suspension problems like bump steer issues and you can now see why you would want to limit this movement.

Do you have any more info on this? What were the overstressed points? Was the whole frame modeled for the test or just the rear section? What about the flex in the front end?

[This message has been edited by Leper (edited 03-05-2003).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2003 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocsp:

I have built one myself out of about $5 worth of scrap metal. I used a 1" x 1" sq tubing welded to a c shape metal plate that has the three struct mount holes in it, e-mail me and will show you a picture of the homemade struct bar.
Kevin

Here is Kevin's (fierocsp's) strut tower brace... he just emailed me the pic. It really looks quite nice! Definitely good work (especially for the price)

fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-06-2003 12:35 PM   Send a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Thank you MinnGreenGT for posting the picture.
tednelson83

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2003 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tednelson83Click Here to visit tednelson83's HomePageSend a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
bump bump pump
fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post03-07-2003 06:39 PM   Send a Private Message to tednelson83Direct Link to This Post
Soft Bump
So everybody can see my engine compartment.
fierocsp

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock