Started on: 01-30-2003 02:15 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: AznFiero on 01-31-2003 07:12 PM
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I'm wondering what you guys reccomend for the best sound insulation to use in our cars. I've seen the dynamat with its different series lines and their spin offs, etc. Then there are those spray insulators, and finally, I've heard about some people using home supplies from Home Depot, etc.

I'm really only interested in doing the doors, the floor, firewall, etc, on the inside of the cab. I don't really see the need for those trunk kits and front compartment barries in our cars. TIA!!

------------------

19 Year Old Fierophile.
R.I.P.--1986 GT Daily Driver, 4:10s, NX 50 Shot, Borla exhaust, ported manifolds, more goodies
--1986 SE V6, Mostly stock W/Integrated rockers and COMING SOON: Intercooled Turbo!!! (possibly)
--1984 SE 4.9, IMSA spoiler, Duel exhuast, GT rear bumper, Konis, drop spindles, Rear adjustable perch, Poly total kit, Poly cradle bushings, Big front bar, Added rear bar, 11.25" brakes on all corners w/SS hoses, Fancy wheels wrapped w/soft rubber, and much much more.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I've only used Dynamat and Metra brand deadener. Of the two I prefer the Dynamat. It does leave a bit of a tar smell for a couple weeks, but it seems to install easier, feels heavier, and more durable. I used both brands in my Fiero. I would really suggest getting Dynamat sound deadener with the metallic heat barrier. It really keeps the heat from coming through the firewall. You can see the metallic deadener in the pics.

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

rube

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
Dynamat alternative: http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

Peel'n seal is very similar to Dynamat Extreme. A little thinner but a lot cheaper. Find it at Lowes in the roofing section.

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 173
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
I used Black Undercoating sound deadener. It actually worked pretty decent. My car's exhaust wasn't as loud inside the car so I know it did something for road noise. It was like 8 bucks for a spray can or something. I liked it much easier and cheaper than dynamat but Im sure dynamat is still the best. Just my 2 cents.

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3.4L

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/

cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the brown bread is similiar to Dynamat. The Dynamat seems to be made of a similiar material. When you tear a piece of Dynamat, it has a brown color to it. Guess because it is tar based?

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

Manic Mechanic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Manic MechanicSend a Private Message to Manic MechanicDirect Link to This Post
Check out the forums at www.sounddomain.com . There are alot of different materials you can use. I don't think Ram-mat (SP) has been mentioned yet.
ivychamp99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ivychamp99Send a Private Message to ivychamp99Direct Link to This Post
fiero go fast

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2003 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero go fastSend a Private Message to fiero go fastDirect Link to This Post
Is there anything from like home depot or something that remotely works? Not only because it would probably be cheap but also because you wouldn't need to pay for shipping and handling.
Matt

------------------

Red 86 SE 2.8

Rate me if I've helped or just if you liked my responce.

rube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2003 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
*Peel 'n Seal!* As I said, it's similar to Dynamat Extreme. Dynamat original is an asphalt based product. Dynamat Extreme and Peel 'n Seal are rubber based and far easier to apply. I paid $12 for a 12"x8' roll of Peel 'n Seal at Lowes. Should be able to find it at Home Depot.

Stay away from roofing tar and the like. You'd never get rid of the smell.

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2003 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
I ordered Wonder Mat from summit. Its a soud deadener and heat reflective mat. Its for interiors, its good to have heat/cold control plus deadener sound in one package.

DreX

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2003 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
A good write up by me... if I do say so myself:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20020825-2-018564.html
PFF
System Bot
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2003 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Before you spend your money and time, check out soundproofing.org

They have an online manual here http://soundproofing.org/infopages/soundprf.html

I have a 300hp airplane with a 3-blade prop. It makes more noise than you can imagine. Even with noise attenuating headsets, it makes noise! I insulated the entire cabin with their product, using their method of sandwiching aluminum foil between two layers of foam. It really works well.

AznFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2003 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AznFieroSend a Private Message to AznFieroDirect Link to This Post
Um, what does sound deadner do? Is that supposed to keep engine and exterior noises out?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock