Fiero LT1 goes Hi-Tech (Intel Inside?) by FieroLT1
Started on: 09-25-2002 08:54 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: crazyd on 10-03-2002 07:46 PM
FieroLT1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
I have been trying to get some more HP out of my setup. Aside of adding more expensive hardware (coming up this winter BTW), I figure some gains could be achieved by means of software.
In 1994 GM upgraded LT1 engines EPROMS to EEPROMS, thus giving the ECM the ability
to be reprogrammed on the fly.

So, with that in mind, this is what I have playing with lately...

And the data acquisition application...

This is a nifty little application called FreeScan. It allows for real-time monitoring
of ECM parameters and a little modification of some of them.
The main purpose for this is to capture a binary file with this data so it can be sent out to someone with more knowledge in LT1 diagnostics and that can tweak the ECM better and hopefully give the LT1 a few more horsepower.

Some of the most useful screens...

Yeap, those are VDO lookalike gauges!

These parameters get updated several times per second.

You can also check and clear error codes here. This one is one that does not worry me at all.

It is pretty cool to see the way the ECM "Thinks", as is controlling the LT1. This
is specially usefull at WOT. Next is to take this same setup back to the Dyno so I can get a baseline before FieroLT1 gets another 100 extra horsepower worth of new hardware.

This Freeware works for the following GM cars among other non GM ones.
GM 1992-93 Camaro
5.7L MFI LT1 1992 IY CAR
5.7L MFI LT1 1993 IY 1,2F
GM 1994 Camaro - Impala SS - Corvette
5.7L SFI LT1 1994 1,2F
5.7L SFI LT1 1995 1,2F
GM Pontiac 3.2 (also 1991 Z-34 Lumina, 3.4L DOHC, W-Body)
3.4L PFI LQ1 1991 W Car
3.4L PFI LQ1 1992 W Car
3.4L PFI LQ1 1993 W Car
3.1L PFI LH0 1993 1W,2W,3W,4W Car
3.1L PFI LH0 1994 1W Car
GM 1989 Chevrolet Corvette

I wonder if any of this configurations might work for the stock Fiero ECM.
That way someone else can also rip the benefits of at least knowing what is going on
with their engine even if the Fiero ECM cannot be reprogrammed on the fly.

I'll keep you guys posted or visit my web site later on.

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
http://www.FieroLT1.com
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86seyellow

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
User Banned

Report this Post09-25-2002 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86seyellowSend a Private Message to 86seyellowDirect Link to This Post
Winston,, I also need this program for my laptop for mine.. what is the url for the freebie software??

thnaks

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
Sorry. I forgot to mention that. http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/ecu_software.htm

Like I said, this freeware and I have been convincing Andy to re-release the source code under a GPL licensing model, so I can take it and port it to Linux. I believe by using the GTK or Gnome controls I can make it look that much cooler and give a much needed skins capabilities. Goal is to make those VDO gauges look like the Fiero gauges.
Well, see what happens.

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

[This message has been edited by FieroLT1 (edited 09-25-2002).]

G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
Thats awesome LT1> I dont see app for 93 vette LT1... Also: Hypertech, Jet, and others already sell mod chips. I guess your custom prom could add more fuel/air etc etc?
What kind of gains are you hoping for?
OUT>
FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2002 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure it'd work with the 93 Vette. Just for the reading part I am guessing.
It's all one and the same app with different config files depending on your engine. You pick it from the list and away you go.

My tuner claims he can get me between 5 and 10 horses to the rear wheel just by tweaking the spark advance and the F/A tables.

Things that we have already done:

• Change the fan turn on temperatures for a 170° thermostat.
  • Power program the car for use with premium octane gasoline (93).
  • Remove the top speed limiter.
  • Correct the speedometer and transmission for gear and tire changes.
  • Correct for the use of a larger throttle body (52mm).

Will be doing next:

• Change idle settings and restore drivability with the new bigger cam.
  • Correct for larger injectors.

Originally posted by G-Nasty:
Thats awesome LT1> I dont see app for 93 vette LT1... Also: Hypertech, Jet, and others already sell mod chips. I guess your custom prom could add more fuel/air etc etc?
What kind of gains are you hoping for?
OUT>

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

[This message has been edited by FieroLT1 (edited 09-25-2002).]

Standard

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2002 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StandardClick Here to visit Standard's HomePageSend a Private Message to StandardDirect Link to This Post
Sweet man! wish I could find one of those for the quad.. My auto x-ray is a pain to use sometimes..

------------------

1988 Quad 4 Coupe 5 speed
More pics of the coupe
1986 GT 5 speed, 1984 SC Auto
AOL: LastMinuteBastrd AIM: SavedbyJebus

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2002 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
Yeap. The AutoXray EZ-Scanner is OK. I have one myself. But it can only capture real time data for only a few seconds.
This pup will fill your hard drive if you let it!

But, Like I said, once I get a hold of the source code, we'll open up a new world of posibilities. Maybe adding your setup wouldn't be so hard.

Stay tuned.

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

DL10

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 160
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2002 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DL10Click Here to visit DL10's HomePageSend a Private Message to DL10Direct Link to This Post
Wow looks great Winston, but it's way over my head.......I wouldn't have a clue how to use it.
new hardware with 100hp gain............hmmmmm wonder what that could be

------------------

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Impressive! Looks almost like my standalone engine management system (Holley 950) where you can tune literally everything.

Nice on a stock ECM!

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

crazyd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Winston, how demanding is it of a system? I have a small Compaq laptop that runs Win98. I didn't see any minimum system requirements on Andy's page. I have a '92 f-car ECM on my ZZ430 so it would let me see all that's going on.

Dave

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-27-2002 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
Just to give you an idea Dave, that laptop is a very old 200Mhz, 48Mb ram, 2G hardrive and is running Windoze 98.

And FreeScan never misses a beat!

My other data aquisition programs, run in DOS mode only. Don't even need Windoze.

NOW FOR AN UPDATE:
I just got my updated program from my tuner and he assures me I will picking up an extra 10 RWHP!!!!

I will be uploading it tonight and go test it out! Woo-Whoo!

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Formula LT1
Home of the Fiero LT1

wojeda@FieroLT1.com

PFF
System Bot
crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroLT1:
Just to give you an idea Dave, that laptop is a very old 200Mhz, 48Mb ram, 2G hardrive and is running Windoze 98. And FreeScan never misses a beat!

Well, mine's a little older than that. But not too much. Might as well give it a whirl. Next question, where to get the right cable?? Do you have to make it yourself, which I don't really have the time or inclination to do unless it's VERY easy, or can it be purchased?

Dave

FieroLT1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroLT1Click Here to visit FieroLT1's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroLT1Direct Link to This Post
Sure. Here is were I got mine from. http://www.akmcables.com/

Originally posted by crazyd:
Next question, where to get the right cable?? Do you have to make it yourself, which I don't really have the time or inclination to do unless it's VERY easy, or can it be purchased?
Dave

------------------
Winston Ojeda
88 Fier Formula LT1
Home of the Fiero LT1

crazyd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2002 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crazydClick Here to visit crazyd's HomePageSend a Private Message to crazydDirect Link to This Post
Just noticed that it appears to work only with '92 y-body ECMs, not with 92 f-body ECMs (which mine is). So close! Oh well.

Dave

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock