Targa style roof Fiero's ? by lamboman
Started on: 12-24-2001 05:17 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 01-16-2002 04:22 PM
lamboman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2001 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lambomanSend a Private Message to lambomanDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone:
I had the other thread about the fiero roadster, What I meant was Targa style roof. Does anyone have any pics and mabye some links to any websites.

Any help would be great.

Trevor

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-24-2001 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
I want to make my Fiero a Targa, only thing would be making a roof for it...making the hole would be the easy part, but youd have to reinforce the frame.

------------------
Tyler Morgan, 1986 GT

Aftermarket Power Steering, Rebuilt 2.8
http://www.geocities.com/mtyler14/index.html

Cozmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2001 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CozmoSend a Private Message to CozmoDirect Link to This Post
I've got one, but I didn't have anything to do with building it...

I don't have any history on it either (got it this way), but it is a professional job with a subframe and nice fiberglass top.
A local company (B&B customs) is looking into reproducing it as both a kit and as an element on their rebodies.
They just have to pry my car away from me long enough to take some molds, etc.
I'll keep the forum updated on our progress...

------------------
Bob Cardone
Suncoast Fieros

'85 2M6 SE Targa

Kasdan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-25-2001 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KasdanSend a Private Message to KasdanDirect Link to This Post
Heh, Cozmo, dont ya hate it when people ask questions like "why did u make it targa?" and "howd you do it?" I get stuff like that all the time about my power steering, why cant they accept the fact that cars can be bought with special stuff? lol.

------------------
Tyler Morgan, 1986 GT

Aftermarket Power Steering, Rebuilt 2.8
http://www.geocities.com/mtyler14/index.html

GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2001 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
hey cozmo, where do you put the top? can you fit it in the trunk or under the hood?

------------------
Adam J. B.

you gotta keep on keepin on...
IM AOL: GTFiero & Rumpdetective (dont ask)

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Cozmo- just wondering if you happen to have a photo of the top itself? Maybe some close-ups?
Cozmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CozmoSend a Private Message to CozmoDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Kasdan, people ask me if I can "make" them one too and seem disappointed when I tell them I bought it this way...
Little do they know the car was "Feral", had been sitting in a yard for 5 years with a blown engine and a leaky top. (a real mess even tho it only had 79K miles).
GTFiero1, the top doesn't fit anywhere in the car... a real bummer, when I drive it "topless" I have to leave the top in the garage. The guys who are going to make a repro of it say they can modify the back trunk so it will fit (YAY!)
MinnGreenGT, here's a montage of both sides of the top. These pics were taken when I first got the car, you can kinda see what bad condition the car was in. Since then I have replaced the latches, rubber seals, center headliner and painted it gloss black.

When I get my camera back (durn relatives) I'll take some more recent pics...
BobC
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Cozmo!
lamboman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2001 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lambomanSend a Private Message to lambomanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the pic's Cozmo, That was exactly what I was thinking of. I think I might attempt that type of conversion this summer, Got to finish the Countach project first.

Thanks Again:

trigger

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-14-2002 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for triggerSend a Private Message to triggerDirect Link to This Post
Cozmo I love that car. I'm actually trying to find or maybe build a targa fiero. I know you don't any history on the car, but could you explain how it all works out?

What is used for reinforcing, and how/where is it tied in? Is the roof section a custom molded piece? How does it set in and latch? Any extra body flex through the corners? Any whistling noises going down the road when open/shut? Any info on the company thinking about reproducing the kit? Thanks for any help.

------------------
Honestly officer, I was just keeping up with the flow of traffic. I know there aren't any cars in the area, that's how far behind I am.

donkeykong

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2002 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donkeykongSend a Private Message to donkeykongDirect Link to This Post
All the questions Trigger asked. I to was quite interested in that mod, but was concerned about the structural integrity being compromised. Have you compared the handling to a stock Fiero? Did it feel the same? Looks great.

~Johnny~

PFF
System Bot
Doni Hagan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2002 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doni HaganSend a Private Message to Doni HaganDirect Link to This Post
Someone on the Forum was talking about trying to come up with a DIY Targa concept...I think it was MINNGREENGT.
SLAMMED87GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2002 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SLAMMED87GTSend a Private Message to SLAMMED87GTDirect Link to This Post
If you have enough re-enforcement on the frame I'm sure the handling wouldn't change.

------------------
3" Drop, 17" Primax 618s/Nitto450 205/40, 4" Monza exhaust, Mudstain decklid scoop, 7" wing stands, Clear front and rear lights, custom interior, all options...that's all hehe.

FIERO JOHN-WI

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2002 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO JOHN-WISend a Private Message to FIERO JOHN-WIDirect Link to This Post
OK I will try to tell you all I know about the targa top (cosmo has) It was a company out of IL.
1)The picture to the right showing the under side of the top where that thing that looks like a dome light said Targa top(that ones missing)
2) How does it latch down? If you look at the same picture (center where the headliner is) you see the shadow of the latch
3)Where did the top store(Cosmo is that the original deck lid) I don't think so because they had 2 big bulk rails bolted to the rear deak lid (in the same direction as the luggage rack goes) and you strapped it down to that.
4)The outer panel is the original roof solid skin

The only reason I know about this is there is a guy in Milwaukee who has one of these conversion that is done to a Black 1986 Fastback GT, gray interior auto, but I haven't seen it around in about a year, he bought the car already done as well, but the first owner told him where it was done. I will try to find him.

Fierobruiser

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 12:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobruiserSend a Private Message to FierobruiserDirect Link to This Post
Cozmo, it looks like the original deck in the photo of the two tops is what Fiero John is talking about. That means that the deck on your first photo is one that you've replaced and if this is true, what kind of spoiler did you put on your car?

------------------
Notchbacks Rule
85GT(show car)
88Coupe (daily driver)
84 Coupe(project car)

pHoOl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pHoOlClick Here to visit pHoOl's HomePageSend a Private Message to pHoOlDirect Link to This Post
i have a (dumb) idea for storage... Make a wing that will seperate from the wingstands. Make it small enough that it will fit in the trunk. Then... make some rails or something to attach to the wingstands on the bottom of the targa roof. Maybe angled or something of the sort. Then, when you want to go cruising with the top off, you put your lil wing in the trunk, make the roof a big arse wing, and cruise along.

Everybody knows it's not how fast your car is, it's how big your wing is =)

------------------
Kills:
97 Neon R/T

AIM: phool88fiero

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doni Hagan:
Someone on the Forum was talking about trying to come up with a DIY Targa concept...I think it was MINNGREENGT.

I wish... but that's a bit out of my league. I know that Archie bought the Targa/convertible kit off ebay last summer- and has plans to eventually make a kit. But don't hold your breath, he's a busy man.

AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
I always wondered with a targa if it would be best to make the removeable section in 2 parts to make them store behind the seats like t-tops.

------------------

My Fiero | Fiero Accessories

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2002 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:
I always wondered with a targa if it would be best to make the removeable section in 2 parts to make them store behind the seats like t-tops.

That's kind of how the Automoda Convertible kit was made: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/010795.html

The Top/Roof section split into 2 parts and was removed separately, then the remainder of the top was folded down. I'd like a Targa that uses a similiar 2-part assembly (but hopefully seals better- but that's dreaming).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock