Stabilizer axle bearing seals by ricksmastermix
Started on: 05-29-2013 08:39 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: TK on 06-18-2013 09:48 PM
ricksmastermix

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ricksmastermixClick Here to visit ricksmastermix's HomePageSend a Private Message to ricksmastermixDirect Link to This Post
I recently installed these units in place of the standard axle seals. I used a loc-tite sealant when I installed the units per the directions. The car sat for a few weeks while I did an engine swap and after I started the engine and drove the car into the driveway to wash it, I noticed what looked like trans fluid leaking on the ground. So, I put the car back in the garage, refilled the tranny fluid and put a large sheet of cardboard under the engine cradle to see where the leak was coming from. Nothing....

Is it normal for these seals to leak at first and then seal up? I checked all the other fluid levels (Oil, brake & clutch) to make sure they were good.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ricksmastermix:

I recently installed these units in place of the standard axle seals. I used a loc-tite sealant when I installed the units per the directions. The car sat for a few weeks while I did an engine swap and after I started the engine and drove the car into the driveway to wash it, I noticed what looked like trans fluid leaking on the ground. So, I put the car back in the garage, refilled the tranny fluid and put a large sheet of cardboard under the engine cradle to see where the leak was coming from. Nothing....

Is it normal for these seals to leak at first and then seal up? I checked all the other fluid levels (Oil, brake & clutch) to make sure they were good.

Mine always leaked. I replaced a couple of sets trying get them to stop and I couldn't find a better seal. I removed the bearings from one car and might on this one. I wouldn't have put them on in the first place but both trans had them.

Maybe someone's had better luck. Are your seal the solid black ones?
gtoformula

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2013 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaDirect Link to This Post
The bearing stabilizers were on my car when I bought it and, yes, they leaked. I replaced the seals and they still leaked. Determined that leak was coming from around the outside of the stabilizer housing. I pulled them and used anaerobic sealer which helped, but they still leak somewhat. I'm just going to live with it. The stabilizers are extremely difficult to remove or install while the trans is in the car. If you find a good way to remove them please let me know.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gtoformula:

The bearing stabilizers were on my car when I bought it and, yes, they leaked. I replaced the seals and they still leaked. Determined that leak was coming from around the outside of the stabilizer housing. I pulled them and used anaerobic sealer which helped, but they still leak somewhat. I'm just going to live with it. The stabilizers are extremely difficult to remove or install while the trans is in the car. If you find a good way to remove them please let me know.

I just took a close look at mine again. The problem is the bearing moves the seal out so it is now trying to seal against a spot on the shaft that isn't machined. I never noticed that before. That's my problem. I am going to fashion an inside puller I can attach to my slide hammer to get the bearings out. I expect to have to use copious amounts of sealer around the seal-to-case surface since the bearings are grooved to keep them in. I don't think a new seal or new type of seal will work unless the lip is moved inward to seat on the machined part of the axle. I don't think I will find anything like that.
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaDirect Link to This Post
I bought an inside bearing puller, but there is no room between the stock bearing and the bearing stabilizer for the puller arms to grab the stabilizer. I don't think that the puller will work, but I'd like to know what you do to pull these stabilizers.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

I bought an inside bearing puller, but there is no room between the stock bearing and the bearing stabilizer for the puller arms to grab the stabilizer. I don't think that the puller will work, but I'd like to know what you do to pull these stabilizers.

Now that you mention it, yeah - big problem. I am staring at a set of seals for the bearings and wondering it they could be installed backwards to move the seal inward ...

Otherwise this is going to be fun without tearing up the case prying the bearings out.

This is from where I asked this question 6 years ago - Ah how the booze'll fog your mind ...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-087023.html

More pondering but something has to change. I am tired of the drips. I'll know more this weekend. I need to search for the thread where someone did remove the bearings in case I need to go in that direction.

Edit: I measured the bearing and we need a blind hole puller that will expand to about 1.5". The HF puller only goes to 1.25". I do have some very small pullers that will fit but they might not hold. One jerk on the hammer and I am committed. I will wreck the bearing.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 06-18-2013).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 04:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Edit: I measured the bearing and we need a blind hole puller that will expand to about 1.5". The HF puller only goes to 1.25". I do have some very small pullers that will fit but they might not hold. One jerk on the hammer and I am committed. I will wreck the bearing.

Tack weld a large nut to a large washer and the washer to the bearing housing - then use a slide hammer.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Any pictures of these things?
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Any pictures of these things?

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=28&products_id=268
gtoformula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gtoformulaSend a Private Message to gtoformulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TK:

Now that you mention it, yeah - big problem. I am staring at a set of seals for the bearings and wondering it they could be installed backwards to move the seal inward ...

Otherwise this is going to be fun without tearing up the case prying the bearings out.

This is from where I asked this question 6 years ago - Ah how the booze'll fog your mind ...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-087023.html

More pondering but something has to change. I am tired of the drips. I'll know more this weekend. I need to search for the thread where someone did remove the bearings in case I need to go in that direction.

You might not wreck the bearing. The bearing housing is a one piece machined casting. I beat the crap out of mine (both getting them out and then pushing them back in) and they are still working fine. Very difficult to install with the trans in the car. I don't like the drips either ... Just tired of messing with them for now.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2013 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

You might not wreck the bearing. The bearing housing is a one piece machined casting. I beat the crap out of mine (both getting them out and then pushing them back in) and they are still working fine. Very difficult to install with the trans in the car. I don't like the drips either ... Just tired of messing with them for now.

I am too. This weekend I am going to get it up on jacks and give it a shot (remove them.) We will see. I feel your pain! Of course, they could just fall out too.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock