Broken VSS by Ry86GT
Started on: 04-15-2013 10:43 AM
Replies: 24
Last post by: weaselbeak on 04-16-2013 06:57 PM
Ry86GT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post
I was having a blast yesterday cruising with my wife after giving the car a good wash. We decided to go for a ride to a freinds place about a half hour away when 3/4 into the drive I lost my speedo on the highway. It went up a bit, then came down to 0 where it stayed.

At our friends place I borrowed a socket set and pulled the sensor to find this. I panicked and thought my entire sensor is toast. I posted this pic on my local message board and was told that the gear wheel broke off and I need to get what's left out of the sensor and should only need to replace the gear wheel. I respect that advice, I just wanted to post here to make sure that's correct because I have to start looking for these parts and only received on opinion locally.

Here's a photo.

I have no idea what colour wheel I had, but was told blue by the same person who provided the advice above. Does anyone have a wheel they'd be willing to mail to Canada? If yes please pm me a price including postage.

Is it ok to drive the car without the speedo (other than the risk of a ticket), or does the ecm need the signal to run properly? The car drove home fine from my friends, but I parked it after that. I wanted to drive it today it's so nice out but left it parked because I didn't know.

Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, I hadn't used the word "gear" in my searches. That confirms I need the red 29 tooth gear.

Can anyone confirm that's all I need? Or do I need a sensor as well? I have no idea what this is supposed to look like (but I am searching right now).

*** Edited to correct which gear I need.

[This message has been edited by Ry86GT (edited 04-15-2013).]

Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post

Ry86GT

227 posts
Member since Sep 2012
Ok I've found a photo of the gear and the gear itself at the Fiero Store.

http://fierostore.com/Produ...px?s=61032&d=373&p=2

It still seems to me like a male shaft is missing from the VSS itself in my photo. Can anyone confirm?
rcp builders

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rcp buildersSend a Private Message to rcp buildersDirect Link to This Post
A piece of your old gear is still in the sensor, you need to pull it out. Ray
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply Ray. This is the second time I've been told this so I'm going to stop freaking out, pull the sensor back out of the car and see what I can find and try to get the rest of the old gear out of the sensor.
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post

Ry86GT

227 posts
Member since Sep 2012
I've done a lot of searching, and on the 18th page of threads with "VSS" in it this photo was posted.

This is a photo of a VSS from my exact Fiero year/model/trans (see thread here if you wish).

It seems that my shaft is indeed broken and I need a VSS in addition to a gear. Back to being paranoid about crap in the transmission. Other than flushing the fluid a couple of times is there anything I can do without pulling the transmission?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Sometimes you can fish out the gear from the transmission. Maybe yours is still good (except it will have a little broken shaft in it).

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-15-2013).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
The sensor shaft is broken off, you need a new sending unit. The sending units on all Fiero transmissions are the same, the wheels are color coded based on tire diameter.
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post
Yep, looks like I'm going fishing and flushing the trans. Hopefully I can get by with only that. The little piece of the shaft is what I'm most worried about.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Same thing happened to me about 100000 miles ago.

Never got parts out, never had a problem.
PFF
System Bot
weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
I bought this gear, and a spare, a year ago at the Chevy dealer. The parts counter guys have a "vintage" section. They were under $8.00 apiece.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 04-15-2013).]

DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineDirect Link to This Post
I have a nice one from an 87 auto fiero. Ping me if you cannot find one close to you - I think the made millions of these -fieros, grand ams etc.

------------------
84 NB, 3800SC, E-25 Fuel, VS Cam, 3.2 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 12.53 at 106.5 1/4 mile

Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2013 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure that looking at the chart again my wheel should be red, NOT blue. I mis-read it before. I have the 3.65 final drive by my RPO code and with the 15" tires I should have a RED wheel.

Originally posted by weaselbeak:

I bought this gear, and a spare, a year ago at the Chevy dealer. The parts counter guys have a "vintage" section. They were under $8.00 apiece.

I read similar reports but I've called 4 dealers in the area and no one has them or can get them. Any chance your spare is red and you want to send it to a good home??? I had to ask... Again, I saw them for sale on US GM parts websites but they will not ship to Canada.

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

I have a nice one from an 87 auto fiero. Ping me if you cannot find one close to you - I think the made millions of these -fieros, grand ams etc.

Thank you for the offer. As noted above if the wheel is a red one and not a blue one I can use any help I can get. Unfortunately the sensor won't work for me because the autos are different than the manuals. Thank you very much for the offer though.

So if anyone has a red gear and not a blue one please let me know.

[This message has been edited by Ry86GT (edited 04-15-2013).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The most important thing you need to worry about is the metal drive shaft of the VSS. It must be removed from inside. That's only the 2nd one I've seen break that way. The first was on my 85GT. The plastic gear pieces aren't as much danger as the metal shaft if either should get caught up in the rotating gears.

------------------
Love my Fieros, S-curves and speed.
It's what driving was meant to be.

The preceding was sent on my 6 year old Dell Dimension 2350 desk top with CRT monitor and dot matrix printer.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ry86GT:

Unfortunately the sensor won't work for me because the autos are different than the manuals.

The sending units are the same. The auto has a casting between the trans and the sender to turn the sender 90°.
If you pull the clip and remove the sending unit it is the same sender and will work with the manual transmission.
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The sending units are the same. The auto has a casting between the trans and the sender to turn the sender 90°.
If you pull the clip and remove the sending unit it is the same sender and will work with the manual transmission.

Really? I know about the difference in where it's located, but the photos I've seen of auto vs manual units still makes them appear to be different parts. At a minimum the o-rings are in different locations.

Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post

Ry86GT

227 posts
Member since Sep 2012
OK! I'm 1/4 the way there. The local dealer I called yesterday just called me back, which was a pleasant surprise. I guess he made some more phone calls or got a phone call back this morning and they are able to get me the red gear part number 10041031 out of a warehouse in the US for $35. I still have taxes on top of that but I ordered it right away and he said it should be here before the weekend.

Still more than the $10 you guys pay from your dealers but it's better than the Canadian shipping cost from the fiero store on top of the $35 for the part. Now I just need to get my hands on a sensor.

My buddy is a compressed air tech and I was talking to him yesterday, he's going to try and sneak the snake camera out of the shop this weekend to see if we can see what it's like inside the tranny and if we can spot that pin that's in there somewhere. Is there a case magnet inside the Muncie? If there is does anyone know where it is with relation to the drain hole or speed sensor hole? I'm hoping there's a magnet in there and that the pin is stuck on it.

[This message has been edited by Ry86GT (edited 04-16-2013).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
The missing piece is steel, its about 3/4" long and is in the bottom of the trans. Ive had one loose in the 4- speed in my 86 SE for the last 100,000 miles. Luckily, no issues.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Automatic and manual sending units aren't the same and won't interchange. You'll find a very small gear on the end of the automatic VSS.

All automatics are the same and all manuals are the same but manual and automatic VSS's are different.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
By golly, you are right. I just went out and pulled a couple from the parts bin. I stand corrected. Sorry for the incorrect information. +1 to you.
PFF
System Bot
Ry86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ry86GTSend a Private Message to Ry86GTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for confirming. I thought so, but didn't know for sure.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadDirect Link to This Post
Same guts, but the seal area diameter and gear diameter are much smaller on the automatics.

Sad thing is, I'll bet I used to know this and somewhere along the line it sorta leaked out…

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post

Sad thing is, I'll bet I used to know this and somewhere along the line it sorta leaked out…

Check your drive shaft seal. It usually leaks at night while you're sleeping. At least mine does

Thanks for the +

------------------
Love my Fieros, S-curves and speed.
It's what driving was meant to be.

The preceding was sent on my 6 year old Dell Dimension 2350 desk top with CRT monitor and dot matrix printer.

weaselbeak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2013 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weaselbeakSend a Private Message to weaselbeakDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ry86GT:

I'm pretty sure that looking at the chart again my wheel should be red, NOT blue. I mis-read it before. I have the 3.65 final drive by my RPO code and with the 15" tires I should have a RED wheel.

Thank you for the offer. As noted above if the wheel is a red one and not a blue one I can use any help I can get. Unfortunately the sensor won't work for me because the autos are different than the manuals. Thank you very much for the offer though.

So if anyone has a red gear and not a blue one please let me know.[Quote]

You are correct. My 3.65 4 speed has a red gear. It is spot on when I pass those radar warnings on the side of the road.

[This message has been edited by weaselbeak (edited 04-16-2013).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock