Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  I am screwed, how can you tell a 3.4L block? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I am screwed, how can you tell a 3.4L block? by Gambit
Started on: 03-31-2013 04:59 PM
Replies: 63
Last post by: lou_dias on 04-11-2013 09:00 AM
Gambit

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Well, i bought the fiero under the impression that it was a 3.4L engine. Now i took it out and there are no holes where the starter would have been with a camaro 3.4. Normally there should be holes there if it were to be a camaro block. Could it be that it still is a 3.4 pushrod but with another block?

I live in the Netherlands so blocks from camaro's don't lay around here. A 3.4 camaro block will cost you 2000 dollars, 3.8 SC 3000 dollars so i think i got screwed or is there an explenation for not having those starters holes on the left site?

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 04-02-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cmechmann

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cmechmannSend a Private Message to cmechmannDirect Link to This Post
If it is a Camaro engine the holes should be on the right/rear facing side in a Fiero/Right side in a Camaro.
Another possibility is the Lumina van 3.4 which would have the holes on the left/front side. These would also use the same type heads.
Some 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 blocks would have a 2.8, 3.1, 3.4 number in the casting of the block under the head near cylinder number 1 right/rear.
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I will look again tommorow and post some pics here
Indyellowgt

Feedback score:    (35)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyellowgtSend a Private Message to IndyellowgtDirect Link to This Post
Block should have a large "F" cast into it.
Mark
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cmechmann:
Another possibility is the Lumina van 3.4 which would have the holes on the left/front side. These would also use the same type heads.

The 3.4 minivan engine used aluminum heads.
The only iron head (like the Fiero and Camaro) minivan engine was a 3.1.

Originally posted by Indyellowgt:
Block should have a large "F" cast into it.
Mark

This!
Also, you will need to drill holes on the left/front side for the starter. The Camaro 3.4 did NOT have these holes.
It had the starter on the right/rear of the motor.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-31-2013).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
There was also a 3400 V6, used in FWD cars and vans. That engine wouldn't need to have the starter relocated. And the Fiero V6 top end will fit on it. If your engine is a 3400, it should have a cast aluminum oil pan. The Camaro 3.4 has a stamped steel oil pan.

Of course, there's also the possibility that your Fiero has a 2.8 V6, and the seller lied to you.
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2013 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
The camaro 3.4 has a sensor near the waterpump, or will have a plug where it used to be. all the other stamped steel pan motors didn't have this sensor, nor are drilled for it either.
I can't find a good direct picture of it, but from Sardonyx247's thread, this picture shows the connector and cable coming out of the sensor, over the masking. That's the best pic I could find of the location.
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, thanks for all the info. There is a 'T' stamped on the block. The oil pan is made of iron. The sensor above the water pump is not there i think. I have made several pictures of the block. Hopefully these are good enough to see if its a 3.4 or a 2.8.
Here is the link to my album because i dont know how to post them here.
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=LF3CPVAZ
fierofool

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 09:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
In the side shot photo showing the valve covers, just to the left of the double chains and above the oil pan mounting surface, there appears to be a sensor. This would be the crankshaft sensor on anything later than the Fiero 2.8. It may be that it's a 2.8 or 3.1 FWD engine that's been bored and stroked. That would put it up around 3.4 L. Or as already said, it could be a FWD 3499. I have a 2.8 Beretta FWD engine in my garage and the starter boss is on the left rear and the sensor port is in the location shown in your photo. The block can be used in the Fiero.
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the info guys till now.

Also pic added in the album of the engine code. Searched the web but did not find anything. Maybe that helps to identify the block.

I found the owner who put in the 3.4l. He thought that it came from a chevy Alero? Does this make sense?

I am going nuts about this. Its no problem to take more pictures.

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 04-01-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I think that would be an Oldsmobile Alero. If so, it would have been an aluminum head engine, but your pictures show the heads have been swapped to iron heads. It wouldn't have a starter boss on the right rear since it was a FWD engine. If the internals of the block was changed out, then you're good to go. Turn the engine over and do a compression check. Someone here can tell you if it's up to 3.4 iron head standards.
PFF
System Bot
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Ok, compression test. The engine runs. I bought it running but i wanted to fully renew the engine. So when it came out i noticed that there where no drilling holes on the rear side.

I must say thats its really hard to find out what engine it is, 2.8 or 3.4. So, the 2.8 does not have a crankshaft sensor as you say?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
There is no crankshaft sensor on the Fiero 2.8

The Alero engine is the LA1

The LA1 3400 ("E-code") was a bored-out version of the 3100. It retained the OHV layout of the previous engine, and was first utilized on the 1996 U platform minivans. Output for the LA1 is 180 hp (134 kW) and 205 lb·ft (278 N·m).

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-1-066859.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-02-2013).]

Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
And has the Alero engine a iron oil pan? Can anyone find something with the engine numbers?
A900319BNS and 2LF279217 ?
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
any 3x00 engine will have a cast aluminum oil pan. my understanding is that they cannot be interchanged with the steel pans

------------------
we're in desperate need of a little more religion to nurse your god-like point of view...

Built not bought... Because bolt-ons don't.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
It's hard to tell from the pictures but there does not appear to be any cylinder contours in the side of the block characteristic of the 3X00 motors and an oil pan swap is unlikely as it would also require swapping over the main caps, especially the rear main which is very different across the two pans. If you remove the flywheel you may see the block designation behind it as well as behind the timing cover.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2013 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
not a 3400, there would be a big "A" cast on the side where the oil filter is , and that TIN oil pan is not 3400. a 3.4 would have a big "F" cast on the side of it.
I can't say what it "IS", Just What it "IS NOT".
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Your engine doesn't appear to be a 3.4 or a 3400. I'm thinking maybe it's a 2nd-gen 2.8 or 3.1 with the Fiero top-end swapped on.

Would you be willing to remove a cylinder head, and take some measurements (and a photo or two)?

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-02-2013).]

Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys for the bad news so far

The block still has to be stripped so i am going to remove everything to clear the head. Hopefully than you could tell me what kind of engine this is?

Its going to be a real bummer. I just purched a vortech v1 for this engine and from someone here on the forum a Truleo intake. I aint going to put this on a 2.8!

But, no hope no glory, so Lets hope it is a rare 3.4
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I think Blacktree is correct. The later FWD 2.8 I have has these numbers cast into the block. I was told that it's a GM warranty replacement engine for either a Beretta or Corsica of the 88 or 89 vintage so it doesn't have a motor number stamped into the starter boss, but the starter boss is correct for a Fiero.

Right rear side just above where the 3.4 starter would be:

58R
20 in those positions.

On the left side toward the front and just above the oil pressure sender port:

GM *10065439
*= unknown character

Toward the left rear just above where the oil dipstick tube goes into the block:

*3 L
*= letter, number or symbol blocked by dipstick tube.

Something I notice on mine is that it doesn't have the vertical raised ribs running up the side of the block as yours does. Maybe this will help to eliminate some possibilities.

------------------
Love my Fieros, S-curves and speed.
It's what driving was meant to be.

The preceding was sent on my 6 year old Dell Dimension 2350 desk top with CRT monitor and dot matrix printer.

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
It has a knock sensor on it so the good news is that it's a "newer" 2.8/3.1 block. It could be stroked and bored out to 3.4 but you'll never know without pulling the heads and making measurements.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
It still may be the LA1 motor with the Fiero 2.8 top parts and oil pan. There is very little on this swap in PFF archives, apparently hasn't been done much. More pictures would help.
Blacktree

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gambit: The block still has to be stripped so i am going to remove everything to clear the head. Hopefully than you could tell me what kind of engine this is?

If you can measure the bore and stroke, then we will know without a doubt what the engine displacement is.

We just need 2 measurements:

1) diameter of the cylinder
2) distance from top to bottom of piston travel

edit to add: Also, if you can take a photo of the lifter valley after you remove the intake manifold, that will help determine if the engine is a 3x00 or an older version. If it's a 3x00 (3100 or 3400), it will have reinforcing ribs going across the lifter valley. It should also have the retainers for the roller lifters. The older engines (2.8, 3.1, 3.4) don't have that.

[This message has been edited by Blacktree (edited 04-02-2013).]

Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Again, i appreciate you guys for all the info so far. In the netherlands we have litlle knowledge of engines.

I will make a lot more pictures in about 2 houres. Then it is evening here and my kids will be in bed

So, stay tuned
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
here is my LA1 block:

Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys, i have posted 8 new pics here:
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Album=LF3CPVAZ
Just scroll down to the bottom

Whats that big black plug coming out of the engine block, in the black painted area. I have that thing to?

The only info i have is that a compagny here in the Netherlands put in the 3.4 in 2002. The owner knew someone in the states i think cause i have the gray-blue leather interieur Eddy Snauw made. Maybe that did change the oil pan to an iron one because of lack of knowledge at that time but that is just guessing.

Anyways, i hope these foto's can narrow down some engines. My engine stand will arrive in a few days so than i can really get something done
Slowbuild

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowbuildSend a Private Message to SlowbuildDirect Link to This Post
To me this looks like it may be a 3.4 tdc block. It seems to have a crank sensor, and a knock sensor. It has a big T on the side; could've sworn mine did too. I do know the tdc 3.4 doesn't have the X pattern on the block like the camaro version; it's the first thing I noticed when I got it.

Comments?

EDIT: Don't know if that could be right. I remember reading the valley was different...houw could you install a pushrod cam in such a thing...not sure. It does appear to have a crank sensor though...looks like an early DIS engine to me.

Chay

[This message has been edited by Slowbuild (edited 04-02-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2013 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Gambit, if you can find any, give the casting numbers in the sides of the block. I see none in your photos. Could this possibly be a European version of a GM engine?
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 07:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Thanks again to everyone. Hopefully is it tdc than

I have already posted the numbers i could find on the block. There is however also a number on the iron plate with à hole in it to lift the engine. I will make a picture of that also.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The lifting plate could be used on several different engines, but still it's worth a try.
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
If by tdc you mean dohc then it's not. You would not (cold not) put a Fiero top end on a tdc plus the whole top end above each cylinder bank is totally different. MUCH bigger engine.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Chev Lumina APV van had 3.1 FWD engine with iron heads in 1990-95

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-03-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I had a 95 Grand Am GT with a 3.1 with aluminum heads.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
I've been playing with the VIN decoder and I've come to the conclusion that this is an original engine from a vehicle with the last digits of the VIN being 2LF279217. The first numbers on the engine ID number A900319BNS can't be manipulated to come up with a valid VIN, but still, I think the second number is valid and it seems to indicate it being a 1990 production year engine. If it is a 1990, it would probably be a 3.1 which could be bored and stroked.
Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool , no affence. Thank you for looking this up. The number on the plate to lift the motor has a different number. I will take a look in a few minutes and edit this text to give you the number. The number on that plate is 10037197-2.

As you could see on the pic, theres a big T stamped on the block. There is also a little R stamped on the block. This R is located 5 inches down and 3 inches to the left. Dont know if it means anything but i will say just in case it rings a bell .

Regarding the engine itself. I know what bored means but what is stroked? Can you tell me what this means?

[This message has been edited by Gambit (edited 04-03-2013).]

fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Stroked would be changing the crankshaft to alter the distance the piston travels in it's up and down stroke. You can increase CC by increasing the length of stroke.

The number on the plate could be a lifting hook from a 2.8 Fiero or a 3.4 Camaro/Firebird engine since they used the same heads. I tried running a GM parts number search, but the search engines weren't very helpful. If you remove the -2 from the number, it appears to be a good GM number since it cross references to a whole batch of other GM parts.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-03-2013).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gambit:

Regarding the engine itself. I know what bored means but what is stroked? Can you tell me what this means?

It generally increses the travel (the stroke) of the piston. Different crankshaft usually.
A 350 Chevy is commonly stroked to a 383.
http://www.383stroker.com/index.html

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

I had a 95 Grand Am GT with a 3.1 with aluminum heads.

Then it was a 3100 which denotes aluminum heads. Probably had 3100 on top of the intake.

In general, GM used 3.1 and 3.4 to describe iron head engines.
In 1992 engine designations changed to 3100 etc. to signify the aluminum heads.

So in 1992 Chev APV VAN had a 3.1 with iron heads. (only vehicle to have this)
While all their 1992 cars (with 3.1L displacement engines) had the "3100 engine" with aluminum heads.

Also why you see that Camaro/Firebird had 3.4L engines, while Grand Am had 3400 engines (still 3.4L displacement).

Engine family tree. http://60degreev6.com/conte...DegreeV6-Family-Tree

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-03-2013).]

Gambit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GambitSend a Private Message to GambitDirect Link to This Post
Oké guys. Thank you very very much for sharing your knowledge and info with me. From this point on it is just guessing i think.

I have my 5 spd Getrag laying on the diner tabel now to take it apart. The thing wont shift in 1 and 2. Here on the forum the mentioned the shift fork so tonight i am going to disasemble it with the 'howto' section on PFF.

After that i will strip the engine, take foto's and measurements of the pistons and come back to you in another thread.

At the end, i still need some comp cams, rockers and other stuff. Will place a ad in the mall soon. Today i got my truleo intake from PSI2000 . Bought it from him here. When i am finally done i will order the RVS exhaust complete from WCF

Again, my thanks to you all
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2013 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
Fierosound, what you say is generally true, but beginning in 87 the 2.8 used in many of the FWD GM cars then replaced with the 3.1 all had aluminum heads while my wife's 93 Grand Am 3300 had iron heads.

A Beretta/Corsica 2.8

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock