Started on: 01-31-2013 11:13 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: ericjon262 on 04-06-2013 08:27 PM
cliffw

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cliffwSend a Private Message to cliffwDirect Link to This Post
I have some cracks, around a speaker grill and the defrost vent. What's the best fix ? I thought of replacing but I would still have an as old likely brittle dash, which may not survive installation. Are there any fillers ? What is a good procedure ? How to duplicate texture ?
Eh, the reason I bring this up is I have been made aware of a new (I think) product made by Plastex.
Of their products, I think this one might be a good one to mask damage.
Any other suggestions you might have I would like to hear. Including a source for a good dash pad.
Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
This idea is how youd match a texture, but it seems kind of cheapie.

http://www.amazon.com/Liqui...Fabric/dp/B000O9K836

Interesting stuff here
http://www.docstotalpackage.net/category/580483

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-31-2013).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2013 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
I used a two part epoxy and SEM paint. Held up really well. Here are details from an old thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-066514.html
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2013 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
Yes, as Smartaxel stated.

I used the epoxy in a tube that you knead and then shape. I used it on the corners of the dash. SEM matched vinyl paint works a near perfect match.
cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixDirect Link to This Post
Where can you get this E-Z weld? Can't seem to find it. There's one auction at ebay but I'm wondering - is it the same product?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Z...&hash=item45f559a616

What exactly is this type of stuff called? PVC cement?

[This message has been edited by cebix (edited 04-05-2013).]

DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cliffw:

I have some cracks, around a speaker grill and the defrost vent. What's the best fix ? I thought of replacing but I would still have an as old likely brittle dash, which may not survive installation. Are there any fillers ? What is a good procedure ? How to duplicate texture ?
Eh, the reason I bring this up is I have been made aware of a new (I think) product made by Plastex.
Of their products, I think this one might be a good one to mask damage.
Any other suggestions you might have I would like to hear. Including a source for a good dash pad.
Thanks.

If it is a nice car, replace it with one from a northern state. I have a couple in real nice shape and not brittle as we dont get the hot texas sun year round (or ever for that matter). On the bad side, the car that it came out of is rusted to the ground!!!!

------------------
84 Formula Clone, 3800SC, VS Cam, 3.2 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, , Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 12.53 at 106.5 1/4 mile

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 04-05-2013).]

Mr.Goodwrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2013 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mr.GoodwrenchClick Here to visit Mr.Goodwrench's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mr.GoodwrenchDirect Link to This Post
Mine has the typical knee damage on the corners. Next protect maybe
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

If it is a nice car, replace it with one from a northern state. I have a couple in real nice shape and not brittle as we dont get the hot texas sun year round (or ever for that matter). On the bad side, the car that it came out of is rusted to the ground!!!!

I was just going to say the same thing.

I've stripped a couple of Fieros that had no chance of being put back on the road, no matter how much I wanted them to be, and both of them were from the north. I ended up selling the dashes for both of them and they were perfect.

EDIT: Another option, for just a little bit more than a used one on eBay, you can have it wrapped, like this Porsche 928 dash:

There are a lot of places that will do this for you, and I think it really enhances the quality of the dash. I don't know what it is about a cow's ass that looks good on a dash, steering wheel, and shift knob... but it does look good.

EDIT (again): Oh man, I totally want a Porsche 928 again. I had a 944 a few years ago, and I ended up selling it when my daughter was born! I totally want another one!

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 04-06-2013).]

cebix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cebixSend a Private Message to cebixDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I actually like the stock look and want to make the repair myself. If anybody has any ideas please post some.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2013 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Direct Link to This Post
I wrapped the top half in marine grade vinyl.

I riveted a piece of 1/4" aluminum tubing into the groove that runs the length of the dash to hold the front down, I plan to do the doors the same way. the vinyl is glued down with 3M spray adhesive.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock