Shifter cable adjustment by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 11-11-2012 01:24 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: pontiacfierokid1985 on 11-12-2012 08:38 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Direct Link to This Post
Ok so my 85 fiero has the 282 getrag conversion in it. It was orginally a 2.8 4 speed se but the prev owner hated the screaming of the 4 speed on the highway. So anyway im having trouble going into 5th an reverse i tried the move the shifter right an down an it just doesnt wanna move but when the previous owner did it he did it no prob i literally saw him move it right an down while sitting in the car with him is there a adjustment somewhere i know this a common problem with the getrag 282 since i seen it on here acouple of time already
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
5th gear on the getrag is right and up, 4th is right down.
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Direct Link to This Post
Yea i know that but the prob is going into reverse an fifth is there a adjustment somewhere on the shifter or is it on the trans axle like the 4 speed muncie
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Reverse is left and down. I replaced the select cable on my 87 GT (Rodney Dickam) and no adjustment was necessary.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Direct Link to This Post
Left and down? 5 speed?..... no.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 11-11-2012).]

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Sorry about that Reverse is left down. It has been a few months snce I drove my 87 GT.
NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
I had a problem with my 5 speed Isuzu where it was tough to get into reverse and 5th. I also found that 1st/2nd were a bit too far to the left, actually pushing against the console when shifting. IIRC, I put it in 1st to get the select cable as far as it would go, loosened the nut and slid it up a bit. I haven't had a problem shifting since.
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Old Lar! You still have it wrong! Go grab yourself a beer. The pattern is a typical five speed pattern:

1 3 5

2 4 R

For Pontiacfierokid1985: There is an adjustment procedure for the Getrag cables except that only one of the cables can be adjusted, and unfortunately it's not the one that controls the amount of travel to the left and right of the in-car shifter. Before you try anything though, there are a few things you should investigate first:

1. unscrew the shifter knob, remove the ashtrays and the four screws under them that hold the shifter console in place, and remove the console;

2. check to make sure you have the correct shifter assembly in the console by referring to this picture:

3. check for coins or other foreign objects that might have fallen in to the shifter mechanism preventing you from shifting all the way to the right;

4. check for cracks in the shifter assembly. Not the stick, but the rest of the assembly... cracks have caused this type of malfunction several times before on the Forum;

5. check for proper movement at the transmission levers when a helper rows through the gears. When your helper moves the stick over to the left and forward into first gear, one lever should shove the transmission shaft into the transmission followed by the other which should rotate the shaft up (if I remember correctly). From first to second gear, the shaft should stay pushed into the transmission and simply rotate all the way down. From second to third the shaft should rotate to a middle position, then be pulled out of the transmission halfway and rotated up. Then from third to fourth the shaft should stay at the same depth except be rotated all the downward. From fourth to fifth the shaft should rotate to a middle position, then be pulled out of the transmission all the way then rotated up. Finally, from fifth to reverse, the shaft should stay pulled out of the transmission and rotate all the way down.

If any of this doesn't do as it's supposed to then watch to see why. It could be because one of your cables is broken on the inside and can push but not pull. This has happened here on the Forum as well. Or it could be that one of the cables is slipping in the slotted hole in it's lever.

6. If everything checks out OK but you just can't seem to get the right amount of movement in the cable, then follow the procedure I posted in this thread here to adjust the one and only cable that's adjustable on the Getrag: www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives...120111-2-108049.html but do this as a last measure because it is the least likely problem with your car.

Old Lar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2012 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Dislexia has set in You are right ..right and down.
pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2012 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Direct Link to This Post
ok ill try this out i just looked over the other thread that u sent with ur reply boozeberry seems like that will work out great since it worked out for everyone else also wanted to ask do they make poly trans mounts for the getrag cause the stock oem rubbers are starting to really stretch out an look kinda dry rotted also would this make the car vibrate like a bat outta he**. i know when i put a poly trans mount on my 6 speed conversion gta the vibration was terrible but as soon as i put a stock one back in the ride was perfectly smooth

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock