Broken M90 supercharger... by jaybeezi
Started on: 10-04-2012 12:40 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: sco77 on 10-06-2012 10:53 AM
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziDirect Link to This Post
Started my motor for the first time & this happened!

Thought the engine was seized, turned out to be the supercharger.

Crazy. Looks like I need a new SC (no $ for turbo parts right now, otherwise I probably would)

Any ideas why that happened or what that is stuck between the rotors...
Posted about it in my build thread too, but it seemed like something everyone would want to see.

------------------
My 87 GT 3800SC Swap thread
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/109707.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
That's a bummer. Looks to me like some foreign object worked its way into the supercharger or the bearings were so loose that the lobes binded and broke. There are many good used or rebuilt M90's around to fit your budget. Just realize that sometimes wierd sh ' t happens

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
i have a pile of gen3s around here... if you cant find one out there for cheap enough let me know.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Did the SC spin freely by hand. Looks like it was torqued down wrong and locked it up.
n7vrz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for n7vrzSend a Private Message to n7vrzDirect Link to This Post
Looks like links in a small chain to me.
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

i have a pile of gen3s around here... if you cant find one out there for cheap enough let me know.

Nice, thanks i'll let you know, over the years it seemed like they were being given away & now that I actually need it i'm having trouble finding (a decent) one.

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

Did the SC spin freely by hand. Looks like it was torqued down wrong and locked it up.

Originally posted by n7vrz:

Looks like links in a small chain to me.

Yeah it spun by hand, sounded good (to me..) just had a small amount of play, little 'clunk' when you turned it.

Looking around, it looks like one of the 2... rings I guess, that hold the rotors in place on the throttle body side of the supercharger.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jaybeezi (edited 10-05-2012).]

MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Had one of those bearings slowly go bad in.my ported case. Finally one day it gave and locked up the SC which ruined the rotors/case. Looks to be ur issue also..
jaybeezi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziDirect Link to This Post
Yeah it seems like it.

I'm going to get another SC. Before I put it on I was thinking about porting it, I can't seem to find a lot of the porting info I have seen before... I know to continue the bottom of the triangle, I've seen the pics of that, anything else? Is there any reason to open up the LIM if I don't plan on ever putting an IC on it?

------------------

sco77

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2012 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sco77Send a Private Message to sco77Direct Link to This Post
Engine is telling you it didn't want that gen3 on it, time to replace it with a genV.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock