2nd Throttle body on top of the intake by Duck Hunter 117
Started on: 10-03-2012 09:45 AM
Replies: 21
Last post by: sc2m6 on 10-05-2012 10:23 AM
Duck Hunter 117

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Hunter 117Send a Private Message to Duck Hunter 117Direct Link to This Post
I've seen a picture on the forum of a car that was modified to have a second intake on the top on the intake manifold but have been unable to find a build thread. Does anyone know who did this? I am wanting to do the same thing but don't want to repeat the same mistakes if there have already been some lessons learned. The car is an 87 GT, 5spd, with a 3.4L swap. It is for ChumpCar racing only.

To answer the first question of why do this and not some other intake mod? My Team and I like the idea of adding the throttle body this way because it fits the spirit of the series. We plan on cutting a hole in the decklid and sticking a cone filter out through it.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CowsPatoot

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CowsPatootClick Here to visit CowsPatoot's HomePageSend a Private Message to CowsPatootDirect Link to This Post
Is this the one you are thinking of?

We ran across that at Run For The Hills 14. It belonged to a local...unless I have things confused (which isn't all that unlikely), it would be Ken Wheeler, owner of Wheeler's Performance. I don't believe he frequents the forums, so I would be surprised to find a build thread.

Edit to add: I do remember that it was set up to only open the second throttle body at the end of the pedal travel....for normal driving, only the original throttle body would open.

[This message has been edited by CowsPatoot (edited 10-03-2012).]

Duck Hunter 117

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Duck Hunter 117Send a Private Message to Duck Hunter 117Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the info! It sounds like the same thing we are thinking of; to have it open only at near full throttle conditions.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Duck Hunter 117:

...modified to have a second intake on the top on the intake manifold

Originally posted by CowsPatoot:

...it was set up to only open the second throttle body at the end of the pedal travel....for normal driving, only the original throttle body would open.

Interesting concept!

Would it completely screw things up to add a one or two barrel carburator in that location to operate in the same manner (only functional when the gas pedal is floored) instead of another throttle body?

I'm wondering if adding the carburator would be superior (or easier for non-programming guys) than just using a second throttle body if in fact the stock injectors (and/or ECM programming) couldn't supply enough fuel at WOT with the added air flow.

It would be kind of a fun hybrid, if it worked. Seriously, I'm kind of intrigued by the idea.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-03-2012).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

I searched the forums and found this...

OH! NO! I have a 49 mm hole in my plenum

Originally posted by WHEELIE:

I'll send Ken a PM/email and see if he can volunteer any info on how well this worked out.
Chris-Winfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris-WinfieldSend a Private Message to Chris-WinfieldDirect Link to This Post
I havent seen this topic before , but last night I was just thinking about taking a stock intake , drillin 6 holes right above each intake port , tapping them and putting in some threaded pipe or adapters with breather filters on top of each as an alternative since I splurged and spent a ton getting a custom intake setup.

Be cool to make a custom intake where pipes intake tubes are symethrical to each other one of left and right of the car that run up to the sail windows with scoops fitment would be a pita , without a fastback.
Chris-Winfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris-WinfieldSend a Private Message to Chris-WinfieldDirect Link to This Post

Chris-Winfield

221 posts
Member since Mar 2011
I was just thinking of some intake design additions on a stock intake last night when I couldnt sleep. My was pretty similar. I was thinking of just drilling and tapping some holes right above each intake port , using a threaded pipe or adapter and hose clamping 6 individual filters on each. Then I thought would be sweet to get two long oval filters , with 3 pipes going into each but would be hard to find a filter like that being custom.
mcguiver3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcguiver3Send a Private Message to mcguiver3Direct Link to This Post
I saw this thread a while ago and made a similar modification.
Mounted the TB on the upper manifold like the picture but eliminated the original location.
This was done to my race car (mild 2.8, cam, lifters, headers, etc).
The throttle response is better. Next item is to use a larger TB and see what happens.
I think if you drilled and tapped the manifold as suggested it would be a giant vacuum leak and not run.
That's why the original idea was to not have it open until WOT.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Interesting concept!

Would it completely screw things up to add a one or two barrel carburetor in that location to operate in the same manner (only functional when the gas pedal is floored) instead of another throttle body?

I'm wondering if adding the carburetor would be superior (or easier for non-programming guys) than just using a second throttle body if in fact the stock injectors (and/or ECM programming) couldn't supply enough fuel at WOT with the added air flow.

It would be kind of a fun hybrid, if it worked. Seriously, I'm kind of intrigued by the idea.

The stock injectors will support about 200hp if in good shape and if you are using the stock heads and middle/lower intake you won't get to over 200hp. I think your idea could work though, the only tricky thing would be setting up a low pressure fuel system to feed the carb. Talk to Dawg I am sure he could drill and tap a spare intake in about an hour. Hell I personally have the tools to do a TB mod onto an intake. Plus if you are running a TB and its setup to only open at WOT there would not need to be any programing changes, because when the ECM see's you go to WOT via the TPS it ignores the O2 sensors and just runs everything Wide Open. When I say everything I mean the fuel and timing maps. Which is why I was able to run 19# per hour injectors on a dry nitrous kit. At normal driving the ECM dialed back the injectors enough to run fine, and when I hit WOT it would dump all the fuel that the injectors could supply. Which would flood a non nitrous 2.8 below 3000rpms, but add the extra Air and it screamed to 7000.

------------------
857GT Part 85GT Part 87GT Part Caddy, 93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Now with Nitrous. Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

I think your idea could work though, the only tricky thing would be setting up a low pressure fuel system to feed the carb.

Perhaps a second fuel regulator on the fuel return line (off the injector rail) to feed the carb?

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

...if you are running a TB and its setup to only open at WOT there would not need to be any programing changes, because when the ECM see's you go to WOT via the TPS it ignores the O2 sensors and just runs everything Wide Open. When I say everything I mean the fuel and timing maps.

Dave, I know nothing about ECM programming and what the injectors can and cannot deliver (and it'll be awhile before I have the '86 GT I'm working on ready to experiment with), but what do you make of this post in The thread I previously linked to in light of what you've just stated...

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

you will of course need a custom chip made. especially if you plan the "secondaries" type setup. the fuel delivery is based on a straight curve for the throttle, and it takes into account the restrictions of the stock system by really cutting down on the fuel in the upper R's

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by mcguiver3:

I think if you drilled and tapped the manifold as suggested it would be a giant vacuum leak and not run.

I assume you're referring to what Chris-Winfield had mentioned and not to what Ken Wheeler had done?

PFF
System Bot
WHEELIE

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WHEELIEClick Here to visit WHEELIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to WHEELIEDirect Link to This Post
yep , that is mine. I have been driving it daily for over 2 years and put over 10,000 miles on it. I never had a chip made and the only other change was to up the fuel pressure a little. No dyno, nothing documented, just put it on and ran it! It gives it a real kick above 4,000 but adds nothing down below. I still get 20 mpg around town and hwy is 28 plus.Some will say it won't work but it does! I did drill a hole in my deck lid and have an old school chrome filter sitting on top.
wheelie
Chris-Winfield

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris-WinfieldSend a Private Message to Chris-WinfieldDirect Link to This Post
true that does make sense I did not think about that , It was a I cant stop thinking to fall asleep idea. But definitely looks like a good idea with the throttle body on top.
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2012 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Instead of doing all of that, just put on a carb setup get more power and call it done.

Edit to add: I do not mean a carb on the stock intake, I mean a real carb setup.

[This message has been edited by sardonyx247 (edited 10-03-2012).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
If it were me, I'd block off the original throttle body location and put a TPI V8 throttle body on top. Just an idea.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
With that setup and no air filter, you know that engine won't last long. Also with air intake of high underhood temps, power will be reduced.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I'm guessing you missed the part where the OP said he planned to cut a hole in the decklid and use a cone filter?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

With that setup and no air filter, you know that engine won't last long. Also with air intake of high underhood temps, power will be reduced.

Originally posted by Blacktree:

I'm guessing you missed the part where the OP said he planned to cut a hole in the decklid and use a cone filter?

And I'm guessing you both missed the following comment.

I did drill a hole in my deck lid and have an old school chrome filter sitting on top.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

yep , that is mine. I have been driving it daily for over 2 years and put over 10,000 miles on it. I never had a chip made and the only other change was to up the fuel pressure a little. No dyno, nothing documented, just put it on and ran it! It gives it a real kick above 4,000 but adds nothing down below. I still get 20 mpg around town and hwy is 28 plus.Some will say it won't work but it does!

Ken, thanks for responding to my PM/email and posting here.

Any chance that a vacuum operated second throttle body (or carb) would work as opposed to using a mechanical link as you've done? I remember this is how the secondaries worked on my Holley 4-bbl carb a hundred years ago on my big block Chevy.

It could conceivably be easier to open the second butterfly valve this way, and if configured correctly the butterfly would only open as much as necessary, when necessary. Comments?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 10-04-2012).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36420 posts
Member since Apr 99

Originally posted by sardonyx247:

Instead of doing all of that, just put on a carb setup get more power and call it done.

Wouldn't that not only necessitate a lot more changes to the intake system, but also involve changing to a vacuum advanced distributor? Seems like a lot more work and expense.

I also doubt a carb setup would pass the emission tests that many of us have to deal with.

The way Ken has done it, it allows the intake system to breathe better when required and yet wouldn't affect emission levels below WOT.

I think it's a great idea!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2012 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
When I took the pic Greg posted, I also took several of the setup Ken had. Unfortunately, old files are no longer readable on a new computer and upgraded software. I think his method of using mechanical (cable) actuation gives more versatility as to when you want the secondary to open. It could run full time, at 1/4 throttle, or just WOT. Double manifold dual throttle bodies run full time, so why wouldn't Ken's system work in the same manner?

Combine Ken's setup with a 7730 and DIS and you may find some extra ponies in the back stall of the barn.
PFF
System Bot
sc2m6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2012 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sc2m6Send a Private Message to sc2m6Direct Link to This Post
Man now after seeing this i want to run a cross-fire set up on my duke LOL. i know it should work and it would look cool as hell. since i have 2 parts cars both with dukes i can fab up a duel tb set up just to try it

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock