Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How many sq ft of vinyl do I need to vinyl wrap a Fiero? (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
How many sq ft of vinyl do I need to vinyl wrap a Fiero? by Austrian Import
Started on: 06-04-2012 08:59 PM
Replies: 62
Last post by: jwrape on 08-28-2012 06:42 AM
Austrian Import

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-...em1c23fcb816&vxp=mtr

This really inspires me. I heard the base paint doesn't even need to be in that great of a shape, as long as it's 225grit, or finer. - Can anybody confirm, or deny that?

For the people who wrapped a Fiero, how many sq feet of material did you use? What parts worked out really well, and where did you struggle? How long did it take you? Did you take any classes, or just try?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post
Some of the stuff that I saw was appx 54" wide by 13 feet long. I'm guessing that would go a long way on something the size of a Fiero.

Some of the stuff that I've seen has a 4-6 year "rating" for outdoor use and 8-10 year lifespan for indoor uses. Kind of neat.. I've seen the white and Gold and Chrome and I see they have carbon fiber patterns as well. (My Jaguar XJS would look pretty cool in Chrome).

I'm just wondering how it actually stays on the car (mainly around the edges or where it's trimmed or wrapped around etc)

(I would give it a shot on one of my "garage queens" but i'm not sure I'd want it on my Daily Driver.

But hey... Maybe I can change the my E-39 M-Sport to some "blazing carbon fiber red" and be the talk of the town!

[This message has been edited by 3084me (edited 06-04-2012).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2012 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
I have no better idea than you on how many linear feet you'll need (probably figure it out with a quick estimate with a tape measure around the car), but once it's applied, you need to use a commercial-grade heat gun to heat it up to approx. 270 degrees to 'set' the adhesive on the 3M Air Release vinyl.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com

1988 Fiero Formula - Automoda convertible
repainted PPG Ferrari 'Giallo Modena' yellow

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
I am wrapping my 86 GT. I have done the hood already but planon changine colors. For Fathers Day my wife is buying me a roll of 60"x20ft roll. Hopefully that will do most of the car.
Here are the pics when I did my hood

All seen on my build thread
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/085541-3.html

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...ML/085541.html

E.Furgal

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
User Banned

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
the colors fade... D/F of hot rod did his 67-68 impala and it was like 3500.oo with the el cheapo flames on the sides..
race cars use it, and buses, ect but they change them after a few months and in case of a race car.. sometimes after one race..
A fiero isn't all that big of a car. and the sq ft of panels isn't all that much.. I'd paint it.. unless you are adding crazy graphics to it..
a qt. of color should cover a fiero after you mix it with basemaker/reducer .. painting it won't cost much..
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by E.Furgal:

the colors fade... D/F of hot rod did his 67-68 impala and it was like 3500.oo with the el cheapo flames on the sides..
race cars use it, and buses, ect but they change them after a few months and in case of a race car.. sometimes after one race..
A fiero isn't all that big of a car. and the sq ft of panels isn't all that much.. I'd paint it.. unless you are adding crazy graphics to it..
a qt. of color should cover a fiero after you mix it with basemaker/reducer .. painting it won't cost much..

You can get vinyl that will fade fast. the 3m Vinyl is high quality. Also they say it's only good for 3-5 yrs, longer if it is garaged.
I started out painting, got tired of the hassle. The vinyl is so much easier to apply. The $3500 range is if you pay for the labor to install it. It is VERY labor intensive but if you do it yourself it's not expensive. My vinyl will be $134 for the roll shipped from Amazon. Can't paint that cheap.
Also, usually most colors are flat colors that don't really show fading that well. Even the gloss textures are not truely gloss. The black on my hood is technically gloss, it looks satin instead. It's been doing really good since I installed it. I consider mine a test for the other color I plan on after Fathers Day

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

SSN669chris

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SSN669chrisSend a Private Message to SSN669chrisDirect Link to This Post
Mine cost 2000.00 to install they charged me for 186 ft I didn’t pay attention if that was liner or square feet. After 5 months and 5000 miles I have no problems with the wrap. The car is my DD I have been very pleased with the resistance to road hazards so far.

[This message has been edited by SSN669chris (edited 06-05-2012).]

jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SSN669chris:

Mine cost 2000.00 to install they charged me for 186 ft I din't pay attention if that was liner or square feet. After 5 months and 5000 miles I have no problems with the wrap. The car is my DD I have been very pleased with the resistand to road hazards so far.

absolutely, love the durability of it. especially since I park in a parking deck every day and my more expensive car has taken abuse from other parked cars.
Als, I can change the body panels on the Fiero and easily re-cover the panels without re-painting and you would never tell. Almost like a Plasti-dip all over the car but with a lot more color options.
85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
With a full wrap, doing it completely seamless, I figure 53' of a 60" roll = 265 square feet.

Can you do it with less material? Yes. Can you do it with less material and not have seams or splices? No.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

With a full wrap, doing it completely seamless, I figure 53' of a 60" roll = 265 square feet.

Can you do it with less material? Yes. Can you do it with less material and not have seams or splices? No.

Agreed, you have to have extra to do it without seems. Also have to be good at stretching it. There is an art to it. I learned that on my hood.
The more you do the better you get.
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
I'm guessin because I paint myself I truly don't understand the concept of this over painting a car unless you're looking to do some illegal activities and have a clean getaway.
PFF
System Bot
3084me

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3084meSend a Private Message to 3084meDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jwrape:

Agreed, you have to have extra to do it without seems. Also have to be good at stretching it. There is an art to it. I learned that on my hood.
The more you do the better you get.

Just curious. Do you "wrap it" around the panel edges , door edges, hood edge etc? Or is it trimmed flush? It seems it would peel around the edges at some point. (But if it was "wrapped around", I guess it could come un-done??)

Do you have pics of the door edges or anywhere that it's trimmed?

It's really pretty neat, Ive seen it as stated above, on race cars, busses etc. I'd love to try it. I also used to paint cars so I would of course lean in that direction - but the wrap is interesting to me.

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
my dad use to do this professionally and my god what a bubble nightmare..... even on small stuff it sucked but to do a whole hood... or an entire car! if you do it props to you because i would go insane
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85sliverGT:

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. Yes, I don't want to do seams/splices. It'll last longer and look better.
Yes, I'm fully aware vinyl isn't as durable as paint, but it's so much cheaper if DIY, also I think it's a fun driveway project. Can't really paint a car in a driveway in Suburbia.
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Niterrorz:

my dad use to do this professionally and my god what a bubble nightmare..... even on small stuff it sucked but to do a whole hood... or an entire car! if you do it props to you because i would go insane

The 3M version has microscopic holes in the material so there aren't any bubbles anymore. This is not your dad's vinyl.

Also a wrap is the cheapest version to do a good satin look. It's really hard/expensive to do satin finishes with paint. (i.e.: No clear coat allowed, no sanding/buffing allowed)

85sliverGT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85sliverGTSend a Private Message to 85sliverGTDirect Link to This Post
No holes in the vinyl, the adhesive has a pattern of lines or grooves that the air gets out through

This is what it looks like with 3M Comply adhesive version 1

Edit: I just looked at the link you posted in your original post, and that material is really good stuff, and that is a really good price (if it truly is free shipping)

[This message has been edited by 85sliverGT (edited 06-05-2012).]

Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
thats awesome! thanks for sharing i didnt know that they had this stuff.
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post
Yea, the bubbles are MUCH easier to remove with new Vinyl. Basically, you can seperate a large bubble into small ones and push them out with your fingers or squeegy

Yes, the vinyl USUALLY wraps around the edge of the door or hood or fender panel. It helps with peeling but it really doesn't peel unless it's picked at. The adhesive is super strong and can be pulled and layed multiple times to get the proper stretch. Once it has set on the car for a couple days the adhesive become slightly stronger and harder to pull off. You clean around the under edge to help get all the dirty off the back of the panel on the doors, hood and trunk to help with it getting snagged. But really, I haven't had mine want to lift or come off since late in the day on the first day I laid it. After that it just stuck on.

BUT to release it, you use a heat gun to essentially moisen the adhesive again and it pulls right off without left over residue.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 06-06-2012).]

jreigner

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2012 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jreignerSend a Private Message to jreignerDirect Link to This Post
I have wrapped my entire fiero in 3m 1080 matte black. It is labor intensive and a gt can wrapped with 40x5 foot piece. All of this depends on how well you can do this. Obviously hood or trunk flubs will cost you dearly and literally. For those who have not done this and are thinking this is cheaper/better than painting, know this: this goes on the car like spandex on a fat girl- this will not hide anything and if your clear is coming off, this will not be your solution as the adhesive is enough to pull the clear off. As for the corners, yes you will stretch it, but all of this will lift and return to its normal state (flat as a board) with out the use 94 primer. It's a chemical you brush on places where the surface isn't flat. It's clear and can be washed off if you ever remove the vinyl.

[This message has been edited by jreigner (edited 06-07-2012).]

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jreigner:

I have wrapped my entire fiero in 3m 1080 matte black. It is labor intensive and a gt can wrapped with 40x5 foot piece. All of this depends on how well you can do this. Obviously hood or trunk flubs will cost you dearly and literally. For those who have not done this and are thinking this is cheaper/better than painting, know this: this goes on the car like spandex on a fat girl- this will hide anything and if your clear is coming off, this will not be your solution as the adhesive is enough to pull the clear off. As for the corners, yes you will stretch it, but all of this will lift and return to its normal state (flat as a board) with out the use 94 primer. It's a chemical you brush on places where the surface isn't flat. It's clear and can be washed off if you ever remove it.

Cool, I never knew there was a primer for going around corners.
Gokart

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
I'm thinking how easy it would be to make custom racing stripes with this stuff?!
PFF
System Bot
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 08:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gokart:

I'm thinking how easy it would be to make custom racing stripes with this stuff?!

Oh absolutely, that's what the aftermarket strips are made of a lot. Ricers have been using vinyl strips forever.

Edit: Not saying that all strips are ricey, just remembering my ricer buddies having these put on once side of their hood etc...

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 06-07-2012).]

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Oh absolutely, that's what the aftermarket strips are made of a lot. Ricers have been using vinyl strips forever.

Edit: Not saying that all strips are ricey, just remembering my ricer buddies having these put on once side of their hood etc...

Right, tastefull only if I was going to use this stuff
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post
ok.. I got a question.. tho it doesn't really affect a fiero.. being a plastic car..
I'd think that on a metal vehicle.. the weave in the adhecive/glue would allow the humid air behind the vinyl and inbetween the vehicle and wrap.. doing one or two things or both
causing rust under the rap, and the humid air lifting(bubbling) the wrap. it seem that ANY breach in the paint at any point on the vehicle would cause rapid rusting and rot to the idem you wrapped..
may not be a factor in sunny dry cali. or the west with the dry air..
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

ok.. I got a question.. tho it doesn't really affect a fiero.. being a plastic car..
I'd think that on a metal vehicle.. the weave in the adhecive/glue would allow the humid air behind the vinyl and inbetween the vehicle and wrap.. doing one or two things or both
causing rust under the rap, and the humid air lifting(bubbling) the wrap. it seem that ANY breach in the paint at any point on the vehicle would cause rapid rusting and rot to the idem you wrapped..
may not be a factor in sunny dry cali. or the west with the dry air..

No, I wouldn't think so because anywhere you would scratch the vinyl would not create a pocket to hold water, it would sinmply scratch but stay adhered to the body(maybe not scratching the paint under). I have never heard of any rust being caused by the material. But I have seen a Video on Youtube somewhere, where a driver was hit in the door and it dented the door. He pulled off the scuffed vinyl and revealed it did not scratch the paint under the vinyl. Seems pretty strong covering and almost protective. Not to say it cannot be penatrated but it's less likely to scratch or chip than regular paint. Another advantage in my book.

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

BUT to release it, you use a heat gun to essentially moisen the adhesive again and it pulls right off without left over residue.

so a nice hot summer day and a hyway romp.. and it might be flapp'n in the wind like a 20y/o vinyl top thats ripped off..
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

so a nice hot summer day and a hyway romp.. and it might be flapp'n in the wind like a 20y/o vinyl top thats ripped off..

No, it hasn't done that to me. It doesn't pull off that easily. It is still quite a pull to get it off. It's been on my Hood in 96 degree Interstate driving and hasn't moved a bit. It doesn't come off unless you want it to.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2012 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

No, I wouldn't think so because anywhere you would scratch the vinyl would not create a pocket to hold water, it would sinmply scratch but stay adhered to the body(maybe not scratching the paint under). I have never heard of any rust being caused by the material. But I have seen a Video on Youtube somewhere, where a driver was hit in the door and it dented the door. He pulled off the scuffed vinyl and revealed it did not scratch the paint under the vinyl. Seems pretty strong covering and almost protective. Not to say it cannot be penatrated but it's less likely to scratch or chip than regular paint. Another advantage in my book.

not every wrap will be over a perfect paint, with no rock chips, or scratchs/etc.. most I'll bet are going over tired worn paint as a cheap way to renew the vehicle.. and I see this as a big by huge rust issue.. if the paint under it.. is not 100%
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

not every wrap will be over a perfect paint, with no rock chips, or scratchs/etc.. most I'll bet are going over tired worn paint as a cheap way to renew the vehicle.. and I see this as a big by huge rust issue.. if the paint under it.. is not 100%

You should search "Auto Wrap" or "Vinyl wrap" on Youtube and check it out. A lot of high end cars are wrapped to retain the original paint underneith for resale value. Don't knock it till you look at it and try it.
Yes, I am using it to cover a poor paint job, but not everyone uses it for that. There are a lot of Matte Vinyls used as apposed to matte paint because matte paint is MUCH harder to keep clean and keep oil spots(greasy or oily hands) etc off it. Vinyl is easily wiped clean.

Personally I would say, as long as there is not rust there already, there won't be any after it's covered. If anything it might keep it from rusting. Also, to actually adhere the vinyl, the surface needs to be prepped and smooth or it will show all the imperfections, so covering rust to begin with shouldn't happen because you would see it straight through the vinyl and would look like crap. Essentially it's a shrink wrap for cars, like wire shrink wrap and it shows all imperfections like sand or chips in the paint undernieth.

If you tried it, you might like it.
Before I wrapped the hood I ordered a 12"x12" piece to see how it worked and what it was made like. That was $12 shipped. It's really cool stuff and you can actually ball up the material and pull it apart all wrinkled- add some heat from the heat gun and it will return back smooth and straight.

http://youtu.be/vMimhMcWSpA

Another http://youtu.be/SltTtJ3jd6I

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 06-07-2012).]

hurricanefloyd41

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hurricanefloyd41Send a Private Message to hurricanefloyd41Direct Link to This Post
The Ford Focus RS500 comes from the factory in matte black vinyl over its gloss black paint.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-07-2012 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

You should search "Auto Wrap" or "Vinyl wrap" on Youtube and check it out. A lot of high end cars are wrapped to retain the original paint underneith for resale value. Don't knock it till you look at it and try it.
Yes, I am using it to cover a poor paint job, but not everyone uses it for that. There are a lot of Matte Vinyls used as apposed to matte paint because matte paint is MUCH harder to keep clean and keep oil spots(greasy or oily hands) etc off it. Vinyl is easily wiped clean.

Personally I would say, as long as there is not rust there already, there won't be any after it's covered. If anything it might keep it from rusting. Also, to actually adhere the vinyl, the surface needs to be prepped and smooth or it will show all the imperfections, so covering rust to begin with shouldn't happen because you would see it straight through the vinyl and would look like crap. Essentially it's a shrink wrap for cars, like wire shrink wrap and it shows all imperfections like sand or chips in the paint undernieth.

If you tried it, you might like it.
Before I wrapped the hood I ordered a 12"x12" piece to see how it worked and what it was made like. That was $12 shipped. It's really cool stuff and you can actually ball up the material and pull it apart all wrinkled- add some heat from the heat gun and it will return back smooth and straight.

http://youtu.be/vMimhMcWSpA

Another http://youtu.be/SltTtJ3jd6I

oh I want to try it.. but want to make sure it will not cause rust to form inder it.. I have a low low miles monte SS from dale earnhardt chevy in newton,nc that I'd love to wrap in the bud #3 colors jr drove or the blue and yellow #3 ,
PFF
System Bot
LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2012 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
The 3M vinyl does not trap moisture underneath it. On the contrary, if it's wet underneath, it won't adhere to begin with.

Standard vinyl is applied wet, then the application fluid is squeegeed out from underneath it. This provides a lubricative effect to help evacuate the air from beneath the vinyl.

The air-release adhesive has channels to allow the air to be squeegeed out from underneath, therefore there is no need for application fluid - in fact, using fluid negates the effect. The 3M adhesive closes out the channels under pressure, then the heat finalizes the procedure. It can still be peeled off, but it takes effort. I've used this on many vehicles, including a couple dozen police vehicles with digitally-printed reflective vinyl graphics, so I know it works.
E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2012 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeitgeist:

The 3M vinyl does not trap moisture underneath it. On the contrary, if it's wet underneath, it won't adhere to begin with.

Standard vinyl is applied wet, then the application fluid is squeegeed out from underneath it. This provides a lubricative effect to help evacuate the air from beneath the vinyl.

The air-release adhesive has channels to allow the air to be squeegeed out from underneath, therefore there is no need for application fluid - in fact, using fluid negates the effect. The 3M adhesive closes out the channels under pressure, then the heat finalizes the procedure. It can still be peeled off, but it takes effort. I've used this on many vehicles, including a couple dozen police vehicles with digitally-printed reflective vinyl graphics, so I know it works.

what is the likelyness of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ taking the original paint with it..?
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

what is the likelyness of ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ taking the original paint with it..?

As long as you are not covering a Macco paint job, i.e. a poorly prepped paint job. It won't pull paint.

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post
Vinyl on vinyl work? Like if you wanted to change your entire color then add a couple of black stripes?
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Vinyl on vinyl work? Like if you wanted to change your entire color then add a couple of black stripes?

Yes it does

Gokart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GokartSend a Private Message to GokartDirect Link to This Post

Yes it does

Good to know....TKS. I see it won't hide any imperfections in the paint but how about a little orange peel from an amatuer paint job?
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

Good to know....TKS. I see it won't hide any imperfections in the paint but how about a little orange peel from an amatuer paint job?

Depending upon the color or design of the vinyl you are using you can make some imperfections less eye sore'ish.

Example: If you have a Matte Black color vinyl, it will reflect a lot of the inperfections under the paint, but if you have a pattern like a Carbon Fiber pattern, it will cover the Orange peal and a lot of the small imperfections with the pattern.

I have a chip on my hood and the vinyl helped hide it a little, but if you are looking for it, you can find it. The vinyl will sinnk or suck into or around most imperfections. Not saying you will notice, but just like a dirty paint job with dust in it, you can run your hands over it and feel it, the vinyl will show the same.

The benfit for me to wrap my Fiero, is its a solid covering that will give my car a VERY Clean look, I can pull it off and change it or add to it, I can make body changes and re-cover the panels without having to pay so much for a repaint - i.e. hood scoops, or side scoops etc...

Personally, I am gonna smooth all the imperfections on my body before I cover the remaining panels. I was gonna do that when I was gonna paint the body, I don't see this as anything different than painting in the respect that the body should be prepped properly. You definately should clean the body to remove durt and grease to asure adheasion
------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

[This message has been edited by jwrape (edited 06-08-2012).]

E.Furgal

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2012 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for E.FurgalSend a Private Message to E.FurgalDirect Link to This Post

As long as you are not covering a Macco paint job, i.e. a poorly prepped paint job. It won't pull paint.

haha.. no. just factory g.m. paint from 1986.. how do they do light holes... like on the fiero the turn signal lights are set back deeper than the hole is wide/tall same with the monte SS
let the wrap go as far as it will and add to it?
jwrape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2012 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwrapeSend a Private Message to jwrapeDirect Link to This Post

haha.. no. just factory g.m. paint from 1986.. how do they do light holes... like on the fiero the turn signal lights are set back deeper than the hole is wide/tall same with the monte SS
let the wrap go as far as it will and add to it?

Ah, that's a eay one, let me show you here.
Watch how they fill in the light cavity here.
http://youtu.be/XI26GvKsrOE
Bascially heat, push in as far as needed, stick the edges and put a small slice in the center and then stick the rest and cut away extra

------------------
Car Thread:
86 GT

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave