Time Has Come For Paint !!! by Snapperhead
Started on: 07-21-2011 12:52 PM
Replies: 43
Last post by: FlyFieroGT on 09-13-2012 11:06 AM
Snapperhead

Feedback score:    (57)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Well, it's time to paint the 85 GT. I'm going to try Eastwood's line of paint. I'm a PPG guy but I just couldn't pass up the buy on this paint. This is my DD so I thought I would give it a try. Out the door for under $270 shipped at my door. primer, paint & clear with all the supplies needed. The last PPG gallon I bought was over $800 just for the paint.

I will fill all in on how I like this system.

Color:
Gasser Green Metalic is the color to be..

I will post some photos when I get started..... when the heat mellows out a little.

Vince

------------------

Snapperhead Performance - Custom Hot Rods & Accessories
Your Complete Online Speed Shop - Stainless & Acrylic Deck Lid, Hood, Trunk & Door Sill Plate Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Service - Hidden Trailer Hitch - LED Reverse Lights

Threads:
Used Fiero Parts - Custom LED Back Up Lights - Hidden Trailer Hitch - Mirror Panels - Door Sill Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings

Rides:
85 Fiero Gt, Green "Grasshopper", 86 Fiero GT, Blue, V8 " Snapperhead" 2013 Fierorama Best of Show Non-Stock, 87
GT Met Orange, 88 Formula White stock soon to be 4.9 met Blue like Snapperhead--- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban,
04 Trailblazer

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 12-31-2013).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
oooOO is it green like the new Camaros? I love that green. Thats a CHEAP price! Eastwood I thought made good stuff too?
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

oooOO is it green like the new Camaros? I love that green. Thats a CHEAP price! Eastwood I thought made good stuff too?

I've heard good things from a couple paint friends on Eastwoods paints. Gasser green is very close to the 7up 2011 Camaro color. I laid a paint chip right on the Camaro I think the gasser has a little more yellow in it we will see.

A pic of the Gasser Green.... Mmmmm

Vince

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 07-21-2011).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2011 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
That should look good on a fiero.
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Here is the before the start photos for all that haven't seen it. I did have it at the 25th show in Pontiac but it really wasnt ready for any shows. My 86 GT wasn't feeling well so we made it stay home and took another date to the show.

She now has historical plates on, not the ones shown.

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 07-22-2011).]

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
The "before" pics look better than my car

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
I gotta say the black looks nice too.

How long does paint last in the can after you buy it? If its on sale and they still have it I might want some, but don't know what I would paint yet....
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skuzzbomer:

The "before" pics look better than my car

Thanks, the photos do magic trust me... The clear is lifting, at the car was wet for the photo.... I took the photos for something ( can't remember now) and it needed to look good. A little wetness can make magic on film.

Vince
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2011 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Snapperhead

1982 posts
Member since Jul 2006

Originally posted by 2.5:

I gotta say the black looks nice too.

How long does paint last in the can after you buy it? If its on sale and they still have it I might want some, but don't know what I would paint yet....

Thanks, I love black but it's way to much work for a driver to me anyway.. I thought black was toooo much work on my vette....

Went like this... open garage.. uncover vette... dust it off.. drive around block or whatever... wash or at least dust it off.... cover back up & do it all over again the next time. Ok all you black car owners know what I'm talking about..

I sent you a pm on the paint info.

Vince

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 07-22-2011).]

Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Well I got back to this project... Painting now, should have some pics this weekend.

Vince
urbex

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for urbexClick Here to visit urbex's HomePageSend a Private Message to urbexDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Snapperhead:

Thanks, I love black but it's way to much work for a driver to me anyway.. I thought black was toooo much work on my vette....

Went like this... open garage.. uncover vette... dust it off.. drive around block or whatever... wash or at least dust it off.... cover back up & do it all over again the next time. Ok all you black car owners know what I'm talking about..

You think it's bad in Michigan? Try having a black car in the desert....I swear..I spend hours washing/waxing/detailing the Camaro (black paint on black leather interior). I don't move it an inch later, the windows are closed..I go in the house for 30 mins...I come back out to a car that looks like I didn't do a damn thing to it as far as cleaning goes for months, lol.

Same thing - I LOOOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEE black cars, but I HATE the maintenance on them, and am seriously considering stripping the car down just to change the color to something like silver or light grey, or even desert tan camo, LOL Problem is that I don't think a black interior is going to look right with a light color exterior, and I'm sure as hell not going to pony up the coin to get the interior completely redone in a lighter shade of leather.
PFF
System Bot
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Too funny... Maybe some sheepskin seat covers! I had the black Vette in Orange Co. CA so I hear you on that nice sand and dust.

Vince
nitroheadz28

Feedback score:    (26)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2012 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nitroheadz28Send a Private Message to nitroheadz28Direct Link to This Post

Out the door for under $270 shipped at my door. primer, paint & clear with all the supplies needed.

Was this some kind of promo? And thats a sweet shade of green, definitely want to see how this turned out
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Painting going good about 1/2 way now. Pics will be coming tonight.
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2012 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Snapperhead

1982 posts
Member since Jul 2006
Here is a few pics. Still dirty and starting to go together... The pics just can't pick up the amount of metalic in this paint.. More pics to come as things progress

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 07-23-2012).]

Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Getting close. more pics coming
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Thats a lot of HUGE metallic. Are all your panels matching each other OK ?
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Thats a lot of HUGE metallic. Are all your panels matching each other OK ?

Oh yeah baby!!!!
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2012 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Snapperhead

1982 posts
Member since Jul 2006
A few more pics... It's getting close

Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2012 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Been busy but I back into it this weekend.. This is a pic of the rear bumper I'm working on to show a few of the mods, Can you find them.... Answers below the pic if you need them.

1. A 4 bulb sequential turn signal system.
2. LED light up Pontiac in the bumper.
3. Special light up wording in the center of the tail lights ( ok you can't see it right now I'll give that one to you).
4. One of my hide-a-way trailer hitches.
5. A set of my LED back up light sets ( Not installed yet, coming soon).

More to come on this...

Vince

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 08-12-2012).]

Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Well I should have all finished up this weekend. We shall see
PFF
System Bot
Gixxer Quad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gixxer QuadSend a Private Message to Gixxer QuadDirect Link to This Post
very nice, i love the color! and how did you do the pontiac logo in the bumper? i'd love to do that with my notch...
NoMoreRicers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2012 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NoMoreRicersSend a Private Message to NoMoreRicersDirect Link to This Post
It's looking great!!
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2012 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
Vince,
i don't know if i missed it but what gun are you using, what size tip on the gun and are you painting it inside or out in the drive way? sorry for somany questions, but with the proces i am getting for painting mine i may just do it myself. i will not take a wide body to maaco and since i have done all this work myself....why not the paint. i have painted a few motoycycles so why not give it a try...right?
yours looks great! more pics please.
al
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
I use a Devilbiss 670 Plus Aces Wild Xtreme 4 Limited Edition gun, Why, cuz I like it, It can lay a lot of clear down fast and it looks fancy too... I'm shooting this paint with a 1.3 tip. I'm also shooting this in the back corner of my back yard with no protection, people mowing yards, weed wacking and all. Why no procection, just so I can say I did that way and to show you can still get a good looking paint job as a shade yard mech.... I shoot in a booth the rest of the time.

Hope that helps

Vince

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 08-22-2012).]

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ummm. I have a question. I see the trailer reciever in the back bumper. What do you do for a tag ? Surely they dont let you drive without one so you can tow a trailer....
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2012 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Ummm. I have a question. I see the trailer reciever in the back bumper. What do you do for a tag ? Surely they dont let you drive without one so you can tow a trailer....

The hitch is covered by the plate. When I tow my luggage trailer the plate slides down to allow you to hook up the trailer. I have them on all the Fieros I build.

You can see a video of it in use on my 86 blue lambo door V8 GT on nifes website for 2007 Fierorama as well as my website and on the forum here.

Vince

------------------

Snapperhead Performance - Custom Hot Rods & Accessories
Your Complete Online Speed Shop - Stainless & Acrylic Deck Lid, Hood, Trunk & Door Sill Plate Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings - Powder Coating Service - Hidden Trailer Hitch - LED Reverse Lights

Threads:
Used Fiero Parts - Custom LED Back Up Lights - Hidden Trailer Hitch - Mirror Panels - Door Sill Mirrors - Vette Brake Swap Consentric Rings

Rides:
85 Fiero Gt, Green "Grasshopper", 86 Fiero GT, Blue, V8 " Snapperhead" 2013 Fierorama Best of Show Non-Stock, 87
GT Met Orange, 88 Formula White stock soon to be 4.9 met Blue like Snapperhead--- 10 Camaro, 99 K2500 Suburban,
04 Trailblazer

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 12-31-2013).]

Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2012 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Just one pic today. Just working away.

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 08-23-2012).]

ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 05:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
LOOKS GREAT!
thanks for the info.
al
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I see. Pretty slick. Does it slide down like on tracks, or work on brackets like a scissor jack ?
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

I see. Pretty slick. Does it slide down like on tracks, or work on brackets like a scissor jack ?

It's a track setup. Simple and works great..

Vince

PFF
System Bot
fieroall

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroallSend a Private Message to fieroallDirect Link to This Post
Are you disassembling and painting every body part separately? If so why? Isn't it easier/better to paint the car as a whole? Just wondering.
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroall:

Are you disassembling and painting every body part separately? If so why? Isn't it easier/better to paint the car as a whole? Just wondering.

Just another way. All panels have been removed and the space frame cleaned, inspected for rust and painted also. I shot them in 3 sessions.... All going back together now and starting to wet sand.

Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
I really love that color.
NightMare Cruiser

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2012 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NightMare CruiserSend a Private Message to NightMare CruiserDirect Link to This Post
WOW!!! Great color!!
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2012 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Just another way. All panels have been removed and the space frame cleaned, inspected for rust and painted also. I shot them in 3 sessions.... All going back together now and starting to wet sand.

That is the way I did mine. A few pieces at a time, off the car.
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Ok here is the finished product. Not too bad for a open air paint job in the back yard.. See you all can do budget paint.

Photos taken at 2012 Fierorama

[This message has been edited by Snapperhead (edited 09-12-2012).]

NetCam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NetCamClick Here to visit NetCam's HomePageSend a Private Message to NetCamDirect Link to This Post
Great job, hope mine comes out even close to that good!
Stainless1911

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stainless1911Send a Private Message to Stainless1911Direct Link to This Post
Pretty.

I have those tires on the Z-28
Snapperhead

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2012 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SnapperheadClick Here to visit Snapperhead's HomePageSend a Private Message to SnapperheadDirect Link to This Post
Here is a quick nite shot of the lit up back

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock