Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  I uncovered never seen photos of the Gilman Mill and Drill machine at the Fiero Plant (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
I uncovered never seen photos of the Gilman Mill and Drill machine at the Fiero Plant by mattman134
Started on: 06-09-2011 09:10 PM
Replies: 57
Last post by: Joseph Upson on 06-19-2013 06:33 AM
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
My uncle has been working in Chicago with a guy who was on the design team for the Mill and Drill Machine used in the Fiero plant #17.

He worked for Gilman, the company that built the machines in 1983. There were three machines built. All three machines were used for the Fiero program from 1983 (Beginning of the 1984 Model Year) until 1988. After that, one machine went on to the new Saturn plant to start production of the Saturn SL-Series sedan in 1990. The other 2 machines were retained and used for the Lumina APV, Trans Sport, and Stilletto mini-vans.

Enjoy:

Matt
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Wow, very good.

Archie
Fierobsessed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
OK, That is awesome. Thanks!
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Very cool. Thanks for posting it!!
fierofinder

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofinderSend a Private Message to fierofinderDirect Link to This Post
Think there is a chance one of us is driving that same space frame in the picture?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
Nice!
I actually read each written page too...
I want to paint my 86 chassis off white now.

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 06-09-2011).]

FieroBobo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBoboSend a Private Message to FieroBoboDirect Link to This Post
Great find!
Thanks for sharing.

~ Bob

------------------
"Its nice to be important.
Its more important to be nice."

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! A + for you!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2011 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Never seen a white space frame before! Cool stuff!
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Very nice Mattman. Thanks for sharing!

Pat
PFF
System Bot
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
wow awesome find! +1
Frizlefrak

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post
Yes. Amazing for its time.

Thanks for sharing.
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Wow thank you for sharing and additional +1 for not being a douchebag and attempting to sell on Ebay for $15 a pic.
Xyster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 01:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XysterSend a Private Message to XysterDirect Link to This Post
I almost skipped this thread. Glad I didn't. THis is very cool. Thanks for sharing!
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
Fascinating.
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
Thats very cool, thanks so much for posting!

Its kind of inspiring, I believe I read there were 3 of those machines made for the Fiero line. That means that my car has a 33% chance of being machined by the very machine in the pictures. So cool!
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 03:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
can the originals be zipped or rar'ed and hosted ona dl site for us to download? this is something i would love to have.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 06-10-2011).]

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Excellent! Thanks for scanning that in and posting it. I give you a "+" too.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
Very cool to see. Thanks.

Edit to say I also gave you a + for this.

------------------

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"

[This message has been edited by Larryh86GT (edited 06-10-2011).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Wow... Boy have we come a long way... One or two small robots now prolly does the same thing and you dont need a 2k sq ft area to fit them Look at all the steel used to make that beast! Daaaaammmm, that sucker is big; makes my drill-press look like a sewing needle. You could power a small town w/ the amount of electricity that thing uses...

[This message has been edited by ALJR (edited 06-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2011 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sricka01:

Wow thank you for sharing and additional +1 for not being a douchebag and attempting to sell on Ebay for $15 a pic.

I have the originals of these pics if anyone wants them for $15 apiece. :-)
sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 01:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroG97J:

I have the originals of these pics if anyone wants them for $15 apiece. :-)

+1 douchebag point to you good sir! LOL

Bump for those who haven't seen this thread yet.
OneSlowFiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 03:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OneSlowFieroSend a Private Message to OneSlowFieroDirect Link to This Post
Interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Hooraayyy for progress!!!!

Neat write up. Thanks for posting.
Brians86SE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 07:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Brians86SESend a Private Message to Brians86SEDirect Link to This Post
Wow cool! I see that it could drill 60 frames a minute but does anyone know how many fieros were rolling off the assembly line per day? I assume '84 was the year that they had maximum production.....

brian
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Cool info! Thanks for sharing.
FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
Mattman,

(And any other interested parties) Pontiac was very proud of the Gilman machinery and "advertised" its capabilities whenever and wherever they could. I suspect that there were originally many sets of these pics floating around. I live near New Orleans and In the early nineties I made a pilgrimage to Pontiac HQ in Dearborn, after having made phone contact with one Fred Simmonds who at the time was the PMD Public Relations Mgr. I was allowed access to the files in the PR department to comb through them for items of interest. These files were comprised of at least 10 five drawer filing cabinets with each drawer so jam packed full that it was hard to pull an idividual document. I was there for the better part of two days trying my best to put an eyeball on every document and slip of paper or photo that was there. I was told to take what I wanted, but they would review whatever I selected before letting me escape. I amassed a pile of about 18 inches in height which was mostly all photographs. There are a lot of shots of prototype interiors, whole cars, etc. A lot of the pics are original art for views commonly seen in the shop manual, dealer albums, press kits and some used in Witzenburg's book on the Fiero. That trip started me on my literature hobby which is now comprised of such things as continuous loop film strip projectors, advertising tapes, TechTrack tapes in VHS and Beta formats, laser discs, dealer albums, Ad Planners, Advanced Press Information binders, Parts & Illustration catalogs, and much much more. Unfortunately, no one in my family has the least interest and I have 4 sons. I would never have the time to list it all on ebay, but I'm trying to put some stuff out there for the true collectors. Without itemizing the whole collection I am guessing it to be worth about $5,000 If anyone would like to talk literature send me an email and I will send back a phone #

dk
Riceburner98

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 80
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riceburner98Send a Private Message to Riceburner98Direct Link to This Post
Awesome! Just one of those spindles is bigger than my whole CNC machine, I'd love to get my hands on one that big!

Great stuff to see!
MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkDirect Link to This Post
I remember making a tour of the plant in about 1986 and seeing this machine in operation along with all the robotic welders. I was also impressed at the time with the paint line where they mounted all of the panels on a rack and ran them through the paint system at one time.
1fatcat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fatcatSend a Private Message to 1fatcatDirect Link to This Post
So, just to understand better, the white space frame in all the pics is made of steel, right? Just never knew why they called it a space frame, because of design or matterial?
Also, Mattman134, another plus for you. Thanks for sharing!
PFF
System Bot
FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JDirect Link to This Post
Here are some pics of some of my "stuff."

hairballrm

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hairballrmClick Here to visit hairballrm's HomePageSend a Private Message to hairballrmDirect Link to This Post
From Wikipedia spaceframe
"Space frames are sometimes used in the chassis designs of automobiles and motorcycles. In a space-frame, or tube-frame, chassis, the suspension, engine, and body panels are attached to a skeletal space frame, and the body panels have little or no structural function. By contrast, in a monocoque design, the body serves as part of the structure. Tube-frame chassis are frequently used in certain types of racing cars.

The first notable American-Produced automobile to use a space frame was the Pontiac Fiero. Fiero frames used 233 pieces of steel, weighing in at 600lbs, to form a very strong and safe car. After the Fiero program ended in 1988, the technology went on to form the Saturn SL series, Pontiac Trans Sport, and Chevrolet Lumina APV mini-vans."

------------------
"Now you too can see in the dark."
http://projectorretrofit.com/

sricka01

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2011 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
I have a question about the doors. So those were already drilled and hinged by the time it was put into this mill machine? Couldnt that have resulted in sloppy alignment?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I'm wondering why it needed such massive looking drills just to make holes in the plastic tabs on the body? Seems like it wouldn't take such a massive rig.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

Today's version would have a Windows based touch screen PLC instead of that control panel.

The machine was probably designed in 1982.

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 05-19-2012).]

30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

30+mpg

4049 posts
Member since Feb 2002

FieroG97J:Here are some pics of some of my "stuff."

So how about posting some scans of a few of the photos?
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

I'm wondering why it needed such massive looking drills just to make holes in the plastic tabs on the body? Seems like it wouldn't take such a massive rig.

Repeatability
My87gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for My87gtClick Here to visit My87gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to My87gtDirect Link to This Post
That is very very impressive. Thank you so much for sharing with us...
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2012 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Today's version would have a Windows based touch screen PLC instead of that control panel.

And an Indian person at the controls
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock