3800 PCM behind the center console? by RotrexFiero
Started on: 02-12-2011 07:51 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 12-01-2012 02:05 PM
RotrexFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a picture of the 3800 PCM mounted behind the center console?

Is it possible, and how did you get it in there?

I got mine in there but the console would not position all the way back. I had about another half inch and could not get it in there. Did you cut something out/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I cut away most of the original ECM bracket, leaving just enough to screw the console to, and the bracket to the firewall.

Ignore the missing grommet, and cut hole, the owner did that before he gave up !
black88fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
i dont have pics but mine was the same way, so im rewiring it next month, moving it outside with the s10 pcm tray, or maybe in the trunk. Unless a good idea pops up here may change my mind.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
So that's the trick....cut away all the junk. Okay I try that...

Thanks the pic really helps.
Tstang429

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-12-2011 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tstang429Send a Private Message to Tstang429Direct Link to This Post
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I saw the holder. I have no problem mounting the PCM, just finding a suitable place for it. I tried behind the seat, but that is so unprofessional. I planned to mount in under the center piece, but as I am finding it is a close fit.

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
It is a tight fit, on one I ended up sanding the fins down a bit at an angle just for the little extra room.
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Sanding? No one mentione that. I am going to give it another try. I planned to get the car inspected in April, and so I wanted everything nice, and looking professional. Wires hanging out and stuff flopping around never looks good. Plus, it's a reflection on me, never mind if it runs well. LOL.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-13-2011 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
LOL, I only had to do it once, it just would not fit otherwise ! but it was just the "points" off the fins at the bottom of the PCM.

Just at the red lines
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
LOL... you used zippy ties and I still hang my head in shame if someone sees my harness. Nice clean install Mike. This will help me getting mine in place.

Steve
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
Remove the stock ECM holder and there will be more room...Mine sits behind the console but vertical....Nothing holds it in place as once it sat for some time it now stays on its own....

PFF
System Bot
hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post
Mount from a 2000 S-10 with the mounting tabs cut off and screwed into the tinnermans that held the old tray.

Yes I had to cut out the back of the console and it seats all the way against the firewall.

------------------
Project Genisis Lo Budget 3800SC swap in progress

88 formula 3.4L 4t60 swap

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hercimer01:

I mount mine like this minus the plastic bracket. Instead, I get some good quality VELCRO and apply it to the PCM and to the firewall. The velcro will keep it from sliding around (the center console actually holds it securely against the firewall) and the velcro also keeps the PCM from grounding out on the sheet metal. Mounting it in this way requires NO modification to be made to the center console.

-ryan

------------------
OVERKILL IS UNDERRATED

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Darth Fiero

5921 posts
Member since Oct 2002
You do not want to allow the PCM case to ground to the chassis. Why? Because if the negative battery cable ever becomes loose from the block or breaks, the battery could try grounding to the block thru the chassis, PCM, and PCM harness which can damage these components if you are cranking the engine over.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2011 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

You do not want to allow the PCM case to ground to the chassis. Why? Because if the negative battery cable ever becomes loose from the block or breaks, the battery could try grounding to the block thru the chassis, PCM, and PCM harness which can damage these components if you are cranking the engine over.

Not sure that I understand this. If the negative battery cable comes loose, you lose all power in an instant.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, ZZP Intercooler, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Not sure that I understand this. If the negative battery cable comes loose, you lose all power in an instant.

Battery connected, engine block or chassis ground become lose or disconnected; things that need a ground no longer have a path to ground except through the PCM (which can not handle high amp loads)... I think thats what Darth Fiero was saying
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Battery connected, engine block or chassis ground become lose or disconnected; things that need a ground no longer have a path to ground except through the PCM (which can not handle high amp loads)... I think thats what Darth Fiero was saying

makes sense to me.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2011 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Yea what I meant was if the large negative battery cable became loose from the block or the connection broke between it and the block, then the only way the battery will be grounding to the car will be thru the smaller wire coming from the battery terminal connection to the chassis (stock = battery tray). If the PCM is also grounded to the chassis, then the ground path will go from the chassis, thru the PCM, to the PCM ground wires going to the engine block (if you don't have any other ground straps hooked up). And if you attempt to crank the engine over, a high amp load can be sent thru this path and the PCM and/or wiring harness can be damanged. So make sure your PCM cannot make contact with chassis ground. Also make sure your PCM wiring harness grounds are not connected to the chassis. They must be connected to the engine block, cylinder head, or transmission case.
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
That's where mine is. I also cut out some of the back of the console but not the pocket itself so it's still functional. I used the 2.8 ECM tray so I could screw that to the firewall. Then I attached the 3800 PCM to the modified 2.8 tray.

Carefully pry the plastic plug from around the original harness. Run your wires. Pop the plastic plug back into the firewall around your wire harness. Once you have everything where you want it fill the plastic plug up with a pressurized can of black Permatex. Firewall sealed and wires protected from rubbing on the firewall.

[This message has been edited by 2002z28ssconv (edited 09-19-2011).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2011 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
I had mine in the consul but moved mine behind the seat, since the exhaust is on the other side of the firewall. The PCM was warm to the touch, and pretty heat soak. It is cool as can be now, and I dont see how it can be safely mounted back there. Did not someone say these things were mounted in the air intake for a reason? To keep them cool.

[This message has been edited by RotrexFiero (edited 09-19-2011).]

hercimer01

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2011 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hercimer01Send a Private Message to hercimer01Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:
The PCM was warm to the touch, and pretty heat soak. It is cool as can be now, Did not someone say these things were mounted in the air intake for a reason? To keep them cool.

My 84 PCM caught on fire in the middle of a busy intersection on a hot day. I installed a computer cooling fan in it and that helped tremendously. (EDIT After replaced it of course). I am OK with cutting out the back of the console because it will help with cooling a little bit.I do plan on putting some sort of forced air cooling to it, I just haven't gotten that far yet.

[This message has been edited by hercimer01 (edited 09-20-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

LOL, I only had to do it once, it just would not fit otherwise ! but it was just the "points" off the fins at the bottom of the PCM.

Just at the red lines

I know its been a while and this would be pointless now; but in case others come across this thread...
If you flipped the PCM around so the fins are against the fire wall, you would not have to shave the fins as you did. With the fins back, the throttle/shift cables fit better and allow the PCM to be closer to the fire wall...

Also, are you guys removeing the sheetmetal to gain more room? Im fitting mine now and the only way I could get enough room was to cut out the sheetmetal...
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
If I could do it again, I would route the harnesses to the rear trunk. I would not put it behind the center consul. Just too hot. Bigger engine means more heat.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2012 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

If I could do it again, I would route the harnesses to the rear trunk. I would not put it behind the center consul. Just too hot. Bigger engine means more heat.

Because the console gets too hot, or because you believe the ECM is running too hot?

Many stock 3800s have the PCM in a sealed box with no air flow at all under the hood.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2012 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
If you put the PCM in the Fiero's rear trunk, it could get hotter there that it might in the stock Fiero center console location.

If you are concerned about your 3800 PCM running too hot in the stock Fiero ECM location, you can do what I did and mount a 12v CPU fan on one side of the Fiero's center console cooling grates to draw air in from behind one of the seats and blow it on the PCM. I've got my fan wired up so it turns on any time the key is on.

But, to be honest, I've never really had any PCM overheating issues when mounting the 3800 PCM in the stock Fiero ECM location. The Fiero's trunk seems to get a lot warmer since the muffler sits right up against it.

-ryan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock