Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800 swap time for the red devil #666 I have questions Please assist

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3800 swap time for the red devil #666 I have questions Please assist by Fiero Thomas
Started on: 06-01-2011 06:43 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: donnie072003 on 06-07-2011 10:11 PM
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post
Hello all as you know I have done some work on the devil here https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/081496.html But I needed this thread as I have questions on the swap. Here is where we are so far. I have a running 3800na. I drove in the fiero it was in and it worked very well. SO I have the motor it is from an 96 Bonneville. I went out today and got a computer and the whole motor wiring harness with not cut wires other then the ones that went all the way under the car could not find the end for it. I think it might be the ABS harness. So this is the plan. Me and a friend that visits here on PFF he thinks that we can get the old motor out and the new one in the car in a day but then I would do the wiring as I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these things. I am finishing cleaning up the harnesses in his car right now as well to make sure it all looks stock in his car. Now I am going to use my stock 4 speed trans from my 85GT that I have. So with that in mind here are the start of my questions and all the upgrades that I did on the 2.8 in the devil will go to my 86GT.

1. since I am using the stock trans I should not have to move it so I would just need the motor mounts or will the trans move this should make it so I don't have to get axles?

2. Can I use the same clutch that is in the car that works very well?

3. Do I need another flywheel and will the 3800 just bolt to the 4 speed with no mods?

4. Trying to do this for as cheep as I can with what I can afford so these things should get me a mounted and ready for wiring?

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The 3800 flywheel needs to have the correct couterweight machined into it. Also stock 3800 flywheels are too thick for Fiero transmissions. They need to be milled thinner.

If you prework the harness you can have it finished before you do the swap.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-01-2011).]

Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

The 3800 flywheel needs to have the correct couterweight machined into it. Also stock 3800 flywheels are too thick for Fiero transmissions. They need to be milled thinner.

If you prework the harness you can have it finished before you do the swap.

Is there a place I can get this done and what does it need to be milled to?

Thank You
Tom
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Because you are doing an NA, you should be able to get one from a salvage yard or new and have it surfaced down. The 3800 SC uses a different amount of counterbalance and never came with a manual transmission flywheel so they are a lot more of a problem. c

You need an ODBII diagnostic port. If you didn't get one with your harness, you can cut one off of a car at the yard. Some 95s have them but 96 and up are assured to have them. They come off cheap cars much easier than expensive cars. Take one from a Saturn, it's just two screws that hold it on.

You will want to run an '88 type oil pressure sender. That is a 3 pin sender. All later model oil pressure plugs are the same with the exception of the number of conductors. If you got the oil pressure sender (Down below the alternator and it gets your hand nasty cut up getting it off) check to make sure it has at least 3 holes. You will have to change the oil pressure sender also so you might as well do that before you install the engine. One or two pin oil pressure senders are for lights, not for gages. Supercharged 3800s should have a 3 or 4 pin oil pressure sender on it. Also many 3100s have a much easier go reach oil pressure sender connector AND they usually are at least 3 pin.

Knock sensors. Both knock sensors use the same plug. The one on the rear bank usually has a little cheater extender cable on it normally. The wire from the harness that plugs into the cheater wire will have a different larger sized connector on it. So if you didn't get the cheater cable to the knock sensor you will need to get one from the yard yet also. Later model 3100's use the same connector to their knock sensors and then one in the front of a 3100 is much easier to get to. You don't need to keep the cheater plug connector on your harness, but instead just run the wire to the connector of the knock sensor.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 06-01-2011).]

donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2011 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Thomas did you already get mounts or are you fabricating your own?
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donnie072003:

Thomas did you already get mounts or are you fabricating your own?

Not sure on this one yet. Still thinking about it.
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Fiero Thomas

4668 posts
Member since Jul 2005
got the flywheel ordered up and found a shop to cut it as well. Is the total thickness to be .084 or is that what is cut off? Getting excited here. I have a few PMs out about mounts.

------------------
1985 Fiero GT 4speed 1986 Fiero GT
1994 BMW 530 V8 1997 BMW 328 85 300ZX

FieroNews~Boots~Bag's~Walle ts~Headliner~Spare Cover~
Visors~Sunshads and T-Top Sunshades~Download the Fieronews Catalog HERE~

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Total thickness of .084? Lets think about that for a bit..
Fiero Thomas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Total thickness of .084? Lets think about that for a bit..

OK so I am a dumb ass sometimes LOL. I sew stuff LOL

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 06-02-2011).]

sportcoupe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2011 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sportcoupeSend a Private Message to sportcoupeDirect Link to This Post
You won't be able to use regular dial calipers to measure the 0.840" directly. This is because the engine side mounting face isn't the same as the back of the flywheel. Special attention must be made when taking measurements.
donnie072003

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2011 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donnie072003Click Here to visit donnie072003's HomePageSend a Private Message to donnie072003Direct Link to This Post
Did you get your flywheel back yet Thomas? Just wondering how the swap is going.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock