Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Engine Removed from my 87GT today, prepping to install my 4.9 V8 5spd. Lots of Pics. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 
Previous Page | Next Page
Engine Removed from my 87GT today, prepping to install my 4.9 V8 5spd. Lots of Pics. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 02-15-2009 09:20 PM
Replies: 120
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 03-05-2012 02:10 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2009 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok so today was the day to pull the old engine out of the 87 and start prepping it for the V8.
I got one hell of a surprise, I went to remove the wheels and there are wheel locks on, with NO KEY. I called the previous owner and he informed me the key was stolen. So I had to do it the long way. Leaving the wheels on the car while removing everything. (All you have to do is reach around the wheel, remove the 10mm calliper bolt for the brake hose and remove the 13mm bolt for the brake line to strut bracket. You can leave the E-Brake lines on the callipers and just disconnect the Main E-Brake cable from the assembly on the rear of the cradle. I am liking the new hood and decklid every time I see it.

Well enough chat, here are today spics.

Sorry I did not take any Pre jacked up pics.
So the first pic, is the rear of the cradle lowered.

This is my ASSUME THE POSITION pose for all my engine swaps.

Nose getting a little close to the ground

Hood just seems to look good on there

At this point, I removed all the trim bolts in the side of the nose to let it flex a little bit.

Yikes,

Time to get down, err, UP to business

Man that was easy. Into the garage it is.

I always use 2 hyd jacks under the cradle to skate it into the garage.

I think I need a bigger garage. You can see the Caddy motor on cradle in the background. I have to swap the Getrag onto the 4.9.

Naked

The top of the taillight section is just over 6ft off the ground

I can’t wait to get this back into the car and start driving it. Its going to be so nice to have a V8 burbling behind my head again.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-15-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IXSLR8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
I bet you can't wait for nice weather, eh.

Glad to see your project moving forward.

--Dave
Gwain

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GwainClick Here to visit Gwain's HomePageSend a Private Message to GwainDirect Link to This Post
What's that white stuff on the ground? Down here in Florida the only thing we have that looks like that is grits?!

Really looking forward to this build thread. I have similar plans myself.

------------------
Marc in sunny Titusville, FL

• 84 SE son's car, loaded
  • 85 Coup w/V6 transplant
  • 85 GT newly on the road
  • 86 SE/GT "The Chameleon" - big plans!
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
where in British Columbia are you located?
if your not to far. i would love to come for a vist and check out your project!!!
im planning on doing a 4.9 someday in the future.
gotta stick with what i have for now tho.

im liking that hood
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Looking good! Don't forget to take the "standing in the engine bay" picture and post it on the thread in "General". Now I see why some people put the front end on jacks when they raise back.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 12:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok I didn't have time to do a multi quote on the replies so here goes.

white stuff on the ground, it started snowing in early Dec got some huge dumps about 6ft fell, and it just has not stayed warm enough long enough to all melt off. It was damn near T-Shirt weather yesterday. It hit 10C (50f)

Build thread. This won't be much of a build thread as the engine was originally installed in my 85GT, the build thread for that is here, //www.fiero.nl/forum/F...1/HTML/051546-4.html

I thought about jacking up the front however I was worried about stability with the way I do it. I spend a fair bit of time Under the car while its in this position, so I did not want to have to worry about it falling while I am under there. I might even get under there and run the remote mount battery cables while it is up there.

Oh my location, I am in the Fraser Heights area of Surrey BC. You should drop by during a club meeting or Tech Session. Details can be found at www.westocoastfieros.com/forum

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
geeze dave when do you find time to work...your always tinkering and playing...good thing you dont live by me i would never get anything done around the house....looks good and cant wait to see her all done and buttoned up...tim
jsketcham

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87 gt as well and looking at your pictures i'm curious where the front nose was purchased. I like its design far better than the factory one on mine. If anyone knows where this design is being made or sold, please send me a message ty.

By the way, love the pics, keep them coming as i'd love to see the prgress as it comes.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I am down in the garage right now on the garage PC and things are going slower than expected. Most of the work today is trying to get the 2 trans axles off of the the engines and move the Getrag trans over to the 4.9 However because they are complete suspensions, I have to remove the left side of the suspension on both cradles to get the CV shaft out enough to pull the trans axles. My 4.9 suspension is easy however the 87 cradle I don't think has ever been apart in its entire life, everything stuck and seized.

Oh Tim, the reason I have so much time to play is I work from home doing websites for industrial equipment. Same guy I met doing crane installs a few years ago. I only have to go to a job site about once a month to photograph and record new arrivals. I can work on the Fiero's during the day and spend a few hours after dinner working on the websites. Only drawback with the economy slowing down, there are less pieces of equipment being upgraded, so less old equipment being sold or traded off.

------------------

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
yeah dave you should ship that down to jimmys in florida so he can pull a mold off of it...i would love one of those too for my 88 coupe..nice nose...tim
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post

thismanyfieros

3468 posts
Member since Dec 2002
less excuses more worky dave...lol...tim
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well Steve Simpson aka FourPoint9 here on the Forum offered when I was ready he would take a day trip up here to BC to help me repair the places where the glass be bent so bad the paint has chipped off. He is the guy that made his entire body kit on his own making molds and shaping it. If wants to take a mold from this, and offer it up, I let him make the decision. The nose is a custom one off piece done by a previous owner. (not the guy I bought the car from, but the guy he bought the car from years ago) So if Steve wants to take on the task of it, fine by me. However the costs of making the mold, then making copies will probably be so high very few people would want to buy one. As soon as its repaired, the entire car will get painted Black with White Trim same as my 85GT in my sig.

Now I got to get back to work.

I'll post up pics of todays work later on.

P.S. A sledge hammer works much better than a pry bar to remove a lower rear ball joint from the spindle. 20mins with a pry bar, fighting, 20 seconds with a 5lb sledge.

------------------

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post02-16-2009 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
You crazy Canadiens. Nice to have all of the pics. Good luck to you. This is one to watch fellas.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Insert bad words where applicable if desired.

HOD DAM&* SON OF A BIT&* FRACKING Inspection Plate. I remove the V6 Y-pipe, remove all the bell housing bolts. Figured I would cheat, and leave the mounts and brackets attached to the trans and make it a simple drop in and spin the nuts on the bottom of the cradle, so I did not have fight with the metal brackets on the trans when I put it onto the 4.9 cradle. I use the Cherry Picker to lift the engine/ trans high enough off the cradle so it should just pop apart. Moves about an inch then stops, I grab the pry bars and pry some more. I double check the CV shaft is not bound up and pry some more. Damn this thing is stuck. So I remove all the trans mounts thinking to myself how much of a paint it will be to put it all back together but I need this trans off. So I pry some more, check the bell housing bolts to make sure that I got them all, and pry some more.

Then it dawns on me. I never removed the Flywheel inspection plate. I never really gave it a 2nd thought as I don't normal install them on my cars. So the last oh 10 trannys I have done, I never had to worry about that damn plate.

At this point I decided to take a break, have a smoke and relax. I am sitting here staring at it, 1/2 mad at myself for not remember it, and 1/2 mad that it is on there.

OK back to work. I'll post pics later tonight.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
aww gosh dang.
you live to far for me im on that island. nanaimo.
maybe in the summer time i could catch a ferry and come to one of the meetings.

good luck with the swap ill be checking out the thread lots i really want your hood still.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2009 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Well you can always do a day trip over here. The Arlington Picnic is a good time to come, do a drive have a bite to eat and meets lots of Fiero people. I think it is scheduled for Jun 6th.

Once I got that damn plate off the trans almost fell off the motor.

So its off, I quickly rotated the hoist over to the 4.9 and the Isuzu came off without any major fuss. I can't say so much for the passenger side CV shaft that litterly fell apart. As soon as the trans was removed, and tension was no longer holding the tripod together the splined end towards the trans fell off. LOL. Not a real issue, as I have lots of spare CV shafts and its easy to swap out when everything is on the ground out of the car.

I think I am going to spray down the Getrag with De-Greaser and give it a shot of paint just to make it look nice. I am thinking a deep red would look nice. I'll probably use Tremclad as it has awesome adhesion on the cast trans housing.

I have been taking pics all day and will sit down after dinner and post up all the updated pics. I just stopped for a quick snack.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Tonights Pics and wrap up.

As promised here is today’s progress report.

I had to get that damn suspension out of the way. So I removed the Toe Link, then popped the lower ball joint, and yanked it off.

Success, the Trans is coming away from the engine. Until the dam thing got stuck on the frigging inspection plate.

Used the hoist to keep the motor high enough to simply lift and slid the trans off of it.

You can see the massive heat scoring on the flywheel. He said the car would not even move.

Sorry I did not take any pics of the Isuzu removal, but here it is off. You can see the nice awesome Clutchnet clutch again. Man it bites hard. I love it.

That is the entire exhaust on my 4.9 Custom 2 piece Y-Pipe, into a large stainless bottle muffler and out to an old Camaro low profile tip. It is really quite at idle, but LOUD as hell, when you wind the motor up.

Getrag Trans DIRTY AS HELL, That won’t do for my car, after 3 cans of engine degreaser and one can of Paint stripper it came clean. I did screw up, the Paint stripper can, had a busted nozzle, so what does any idiot do when he is tired and frustrated, GETS A BIG HAMMER. I stuff a nail in the top of the can, drappped a towel over the can and the nail. Hit the nail down into the can, it didn’t hiss or anything. So I grabbed the nail through the rag, and slowly started to pull it out, that’s when the can decided to start shooting. I had my jacket on with my hoodie and my glasses and gloves. Well the crazy spray managed to get onto a bit of my wrist where the jacket and sleeve were not covering. Instantly started to burn. But I was standing there with a can spraying stuff and I needed to get “said stuff” onto the trans housing. I gritted my teeth and continued spraying down the trans with the paint stripper, as soon as I was done, I ran into the house to the sink and soaked my arm then washed it a few times. Got a bit of a rash, but no major problems.
I went back out, gave it a 2nd coat of degreaser and fired up the pressure washer.

Before

After

Anyone recognize this shifter linkage, is it one of Rodney’s. I don’t think its stock. Looks way to well done to be OEM. Machined bits, with what looks like Rodney’s Oilite bushings. I took lots of pics of it.

Even the clutch fork looks like it might be a newer one. OEM style though.

I promised a shot of my garage computer work area. I have everything I need out there. Computer, smokes, fridge in other corner of garage.
Can you guess my desk chair.

There I peeled back the seat cover to give ya a hint. You can see my main heater in the lower left corner of the pic. It’s a 40,000 BTU Forced Air, Jet A, Kerosene / Premium Diesel fuel heater. It was just over 0C (32F) this morning, but in my garage it was a nice 23F (75F)

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-17-2009).]

joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
how much do you think it cost to do the 4.9 swap? from start to finish?
thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
ah dave you had me almost in tears this morning...i too toos the inspection plates...who would think a small piece of tin could cause so much grief...keep at it...tim
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I thought that you already drove a 4.9L Fiero. This is just a replacement 4.9L job not an original swap right? In either case you must be a hearty soul to work outside in Winter. Here in the cold NE winter, much of the time is spent working in the garage with the heater on full blast. Good luck with the project. As you already know the 4.9L is a huge improvement in horsepower over the 2.8L and they can get decent mileage.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE WILDCAT"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
@ Josh If you do all your own labor mine cost me a tick under $3000 people can quote cheaper prices, on there swap, but included EVERY Nut, Bolt, Hose Clamp, even fuel for the trip down to Washington to get the engine. I got my engine with ECM complete for $600 I also did a standard trans version so I bought a NEW flywheel not the re-drilled Fiero version and a good clutch.

@ Tim, glad you got a good laugh from it.

@ Dennis Ya I had my 85GT for 15 years, and 450,000kms. (2 years with the V8) With 2 stress cracks in the strut towers and 2 more stress cracks in the front of the frame, it was time to retire the chassie and rebuild it better, stronger and faster onto a new chassie.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Anyone recognize this shifter linkage, is it one of Rodney’s. I don’t think its stock. Looks way to well done to be OEM. Machined bits, with what looks like Rodney’s Oilite bushings. I took lots of pics of it.

That is my Getrag FWD conversion kit. You have a FWD Getrag.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
OH F&(JC.

That means it has the FWD Ratio in it, that SUCKs A$$, FRACK, CRAP, SOB.

Anyone got a ratio chart on the FWD Trans Axles.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
OK my heart rate has slowed back down. I just read your site on Getrag ratios, http://www.rodneydickman.com/getraginfo.htm and if I read that correctly, it has the same ratio as a Fiero Getrag. It was bolted to a Fiero so I know it was used in a Fiero and the bell housing will be correct. I just spent 2 hours, heating the trans case and "hot painting it" Gives a nice baked on look when done. I'll post up pics later.

I guess the good note is I'll be able to replace this easier if I ever blow it up.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Ok here is the painted, cleaned trans. I use a hot paint method to give it a baked on finish. I use my 40,000 BTU heater to heat the trans case, rotating every 10mins until it is hot enough that I can't really touch it with bare hands. Then I warm the spray cans until they are just barley warm. (not so hot that they risk blowing up, but hot enough that the spray comes out fast and smooth)

After several coats, and heating the case again between coats. As the trans cools the finish gets really nice and glossy. The paint actully soaks into the cast case. I usually paint it with everything installed, then take off what parts I want back to natural colour and run them on my wire wheel. I usually don't paint the bellhousing, but in this case I did, just to make it easier to clean when I take the trans out. Grease and dirt have a much harder time building up on the trans once it is painted.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-17-2009).]

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
dave knowing how you drive its just a matter of time till you do blow it up..lol..myself i am gonna pick up a spare 4 spd cuz tthe race season is getting closer...looks nice and shiney red...tim
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
im liking the color of the trans
and i like that paint method you did! i gotta try it sometime
how long do you think it took you to heat the transmission? 30 or 40 mins?

what kind of paint did you use to? dont wanna cheap out and get $1.99 can of spraypaint :P (iv done it before...)
its looking good by the way

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2009 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The paint is Tremclad Gloss Red. I'll post details with pics later on tonight. I just stopped for a quick bite to eat. I have ran into one hell of a stumbling block though. My rather expensive 2 piece Y-Pipe I had Custom made for the 4.9 / Isuzu 5spd combo, won't work on the Getrag. The Slave/Cable bracket sits right in the middle of 2 piece Y-Pipe joint. It'll be easier to understand when I post the pics. The trans is mounted to the motor and hooked up. Just need to finalize the brackets and it'll be ready to slide into the car. I almost had a really bad day, the car is sitting on Jack stands, and I needed to do some work to the front of the car, all of a sudden I heard a creek, and the jack stands started to lean forward. I had blocks in front of the front tires, but was trying to roll over the 2, 4x4 blocks. I quickly got the hoist attached to the car, stabilized it, then rebolocked the wheels and reset the jack stands. I think from now on, any work I do to the car, with it this far up in the air, I'll have the hoist attached as support.

Pics to come later.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Feb 17th Update and Pics

Ok first pic, its Tremclad, Gloss Fire Red paint.

This is the only real shot I got of the heater. The exhaust temp on it is enough to light a cig with. Will burn leg hair and attempt to ignite your pant leg if you are not careful. It takes between 20-30mins to get an entire trans hot.

All installed on the engine, with all the mounts bolted in place.

Here you can see a little bit of my exhaust issue.

A little closer

Yep in the perfect place to shut down my build.

There is just no way to tweak anything to get enough clearance.

Slightly lower angle

I have got no choice, I am going to get a buddy that has a mobile welder to come over once it is in the car, and try cut the existing pipe, then add in a section to push the flange out a bit. I'll wait till its in the car so we know exactly where everything will lay.

------------------

thismanyfieros

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
ahh that blows...why not open it up some and go true duals??? dont some chev center dump manifolds bolt up on the 4.9 or am i on glue??? ive been debating going 4.9 in my 88 coupe i am building up as a surprise for the wifey..i want something fast and that sounds growly but i dont want her getting into too much trouble..lol thats my job...tim
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2009 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Nope there are no Chevy manifolds that will fit. I really wish there was, with one of the biggest Canadian Hot Rod suppliers right around the corner from me, I'd have em on quicker than oil from the ground in your neck of the woods.

Well here are todays progress pics.

Sorry I did take any shots of us moving everything around and getting it into place. First thing we did was moved the V6/Cradle and suspension out of the shop. Then moved the hoist out of the shop, then did a quick clean up, so we had a straight shot with the V8 / 5spd cradle to under the car. I set up my 2 floor jacks like skates to roll the assembly out. We got everything out of the way and started moving. That is where the pics start.

Engine into rough location

First pic of the 3 spoke wheels on the car. Just just seem to fit nice.

Another side profile shot sorta showing the engine under the car.

Car lowered down and crane removed. The Blue paint is because I ran out of black Tremclad and I did not want to skip out on the anti rust coating. The area won't be seen, or I would have went and bought some more black. The next time I have the skin off, I paint over the blue with some nice gloss black. Whenever I have a car apart, it always gets a good spray down with anti rust paint on all the metal surfaces.

Another shot from the side.

See It FITS.

Well looks like I need a little trimming. The valve cover is just barley touching the hing area. I had that area trimmed in the 85, looks like it will need to be trimmed here as well.

Thanks to Car-2-Lo that mean looking deck lid is going to provide a great look to the back of the car. Will be much better when the black bumper skin and tail lights are installed.

Now that the project has progressed to outside, I am going to be reduced to working during daylight hours only. But the big hurtle is over. Getting the engine into the car. The rest is going to be re-plumbing the cooling system to accept the changes for the 87 vs 85. Running the wiring and changing any wires that have to be changed for the 85-87 harness changes. I am also not sure if when it is plugged back together, when I hit the key if the starter will even fire. In my 85GT which was an automatic, had been re-wired to run as a standard. However the wiring changes were not stock, I got mad in my younger years, and cut the purple crank wire and ran it straight from the Steering Coulomb direct to the starter solenoid. I always intended to fix it some day, but 6 years and it never once gave me an issue. When we did the V8 install, we were so rushed (10 days start to finish) That it worked and there were more pressing things to worry about than fixing an old bypass.

As cosmetically blemished as the car is right now, I am really happy how the build is shaping up. I found a neat surprise when I had the front end up, it has an aftermarket addco front sway bar installed with poly bushings. (The cradle has poly as well, but the old control arms did not) My rear control arms that are being used do have poly though.

I figure another couple days of tinkering and she will be on the ground.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I didn't get a whole lot done the last 2 days, as I had to do some doctors appointment junk and some shopping. However I started (emphasized "started") some of the cosmetic work on the car today. I got rid of the busted left front fender and replaced it with a black one, I also removed the right front fender and replaced it with a black one. The doors will be my next project. Still not sure if I want to just swap the entire doors from my 85GT or, swap out the locks, inner and outer door panels leaving the door frame and motors in place. There are no keys for the doors on the 87, well, no keys for anything on the 87. I had to put my 85's steering coulomb in the 87 just so I could steer the car and check the electrical out. I also put on the black GT bumper. I am really regretting not washing it before I took the pics. I almost said to heck with posting the pics and waiting until tomorrow. However anyone that knows me, knows that cosmetics come 2nd, drive train is always my first priority. Well here are todays shots.

Right Side

Left Side

Rear

This is my favorite shot. Man that nose and hood are going to look so cool together after paint. Then the roar of the side pipe exhaust, its going to be one hell of a complete package.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-20-2009).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Dave. Your going to drive that down on your next trip to Portland, right? I wan't to get a chance to see it first hand. Mine is almost done too. Wanna Race?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I'll probably have it done, but not driven enough to trust it on that long of a road trip. Lisa and I are leaving for Aurora on March 18th, and we'll be there for at least a couple weeks. We'll be coming down with the 88GT and the small trailer. I am hoping to convince my dad to let me bring a few tools back from his shop. (Drill Press and Bench Vice)

You and the Wife will have to go out for dinner with us again, that was nice being able to chat Fiero's in a diffrent country. LOL, dang that sounds odd.

As for racing, it would be an interesting run. I think you have done a lot of work to your engine where as mine is pretty much stock except for the exhaust and the chip upgrade. I have a Wet Nitrous kit sitting on my wall in my garage, I think that would even things up nicely. LOL. I want to get a few months of driving with the V8 on the Getrag before I call it reliable. I'd hate to have it break down 400 miles from Home.

If yours is done when we get down there, you have to take me for a ride, I so miss the rumble of a V8 stick behind my head.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-20-2009).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2009 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Now mine isn't that far from stock. Just a chip, cam, exhaust, and some light port work. With any luck I'll have the custom intake put on also. Most of the work went into the suspension and brakes, not the engine. I think the nitrious would just give you an unfair advantage. See ya then.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 02-20-2009).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Na not too much, just a 50hp wet shot in the upper RPM range to get the 4.9's power curve a bit higher, say from 3000rpm to 5500rpms and have a window switch shut it down at 5500, then shift at 5800. Drop me an email to capt@captfiero.com and let me know when a good time will be to meet up.

------------------

agrabo85fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for agrabo85fieroSend a Private Message to agrabo85fieroDirect Link to This Post
before swapping doors, i would go to the dealership to see if you can get keys cut to vin, i got 2 fieros that i had keys made and they both worked, cost was $7 for a key.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2009 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok so the day started out kind of late, on top of working on the 87 I needed to replace the radiator on Lisa’s

(aka FieroChick on here) 85 V6 car. We struck a deal, that I would do the rad and resiviour swap on her car while she got

started on the interior stripping on my 87GT. The first set of pics is showing where a nearly stock engine bay will have

clearance issues on a 4.9. I’ll explain as I got.

Idler pulley is less than ¼ inch from stock battery box. It’s no big deal as I am going to remove the battery tray and do

a front mount battery install. My motor is in the exact same spot as any other 4.9 however it sits a little higher due to

the mount design I used.

Coiler cooler pipe and related vacuum lines on the firewall are getting yanked.

Its close, but everything clears, the open hole gets a K&N breather filter installed there.

Another odd mod, I found, when I pulled the Fiero ECM out, it has a Mr. Gasket Chip in it. It’ll get tossed on the shelf,

and going to have Watts, (another forum member) hook it up to his rom burner and see just what was changed. For the record

these chips offer nearly Zero real performance gain, only reason to have one is if the EGR is disabled and the Rev Limit is

removed.

Nice Find Kenwood 160w (peak) 4x10’s. I checked on a few sites, they are listed for about $100 USD. Considering I only

paid $300 for the entire car, it’s a cool find.

Lisa pulled the dash, and we are getting close to ripping the interior out.

Perfectly good 180 speedo, I am going to use my other cluster as it’s already modified for the V8 tach input.

The mess of wires in the center was fed through really slowly and will all get sorted out and hooked up for the caddy fuel

injection.

Carpets out.

Little bit of rust on the plugs

I removed the floor pan plug as it was really rusted on the passenger side, and gave everything on the floor pan a good

shot of TremClad.

Wow I did not know these things were even still kicking around, worst Alarm on the planet. Found it tucked up under the

passenger side dash. It’ll be removed and garaged.

Nearly perfect seats, they will get wrapped in plastic bags, with moisture removing tabs then put into storage

I can’t get over how nice the seats are, the passenger side looks like new.

After getting rid of all the pine needles it looks much better up front

Red Trans kind of peeking out from the side.

We took a few more things off the 85 today as well.

It’s kind of sad to see the 85 being stripped, however most of the parts that come off it, are ending up in the 87 and the

parts that don’t go onto the 87 will find their way onto Lisa’s car.

The black carpets will be cleaned, and re-dyed black before they go into the 87GT. I have not driven the car as a driver

in over 18 months, so hell knows how old those frys are. The pile under the carpets are pieces removed from the 87

today.

Well that’s it for today, hopefully I can do a little more outside tomorrow before it rains, then I’ll spend the next week,

with the interior parts in the garage, cleaning, prepping

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-21-2009).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Very nice finds there. You got lucky on those speakers. Mine had some 4x6 component speakers in the dash. Not even so much as an adapter plate. Just two screws holding one side. They made a hell of a racket before I made the plates.

If you decide you want to actually use that speedo let me know. I have a few more of the trim pots needed to do the tach conversion and you can have one. In fact you can grab it when your down here.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2009 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Would that type of exhaust setup work with the caddy trans? I am still brainstorming on my exhaust. I haven't got the motor in the car yet, still planning.
I was thinking of using the stock caddy setup with the crossover pipe (92 deville) and going with a single outlet.

I like yours ALOT!

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 02-22-2009).]

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock