Adjusting shifter ??? by pontiacfierokid1985
Started on: 12-07-2010 01:28 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: The Aura on 12-10-2010 04:35 PM
pontiacfierokid1985

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Direct Link to This Post
Hey everyone got a question everytime I go to put the shifter into reverse I have to hold it all the way over to make the reverse lights come on. I was wondering do I have to take the shifter apart inorder to adjust it to make the reverse lights come on or do I have to do it by the cable ???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattman134

Feedback score:    (33)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mattman134Send a Private Message to mattman134Direct Link to This Post
^^^^^^
X2

My shifter is the same way

Matt
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
If the transmission is a four speed, then the switch is in the shifter mechanism under the center console. It may only need a bit of adjusting or a new switch available at TFS. If it's a five speed, then the switch is on the tranny itself. Try tightening it to see if it's loose. Otherwise, a new switch may be in order... a lot easier than splitting the case and trying to deal with a worn shaft.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 07:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolDirect Link to This Post
The 4 speed has a push button switch on the shift mechanism inside the console. It has a small screw on the end of the plunger that can be adjusted to a slight degree. You may also be able to bend it's mounting bracket just a little. The 5 speed switches are in the transmissions, and as such aren't adjustable. You can try adjusting the cables as outlined in Chapter 7 of the Haynes Manual. That may solve your problem.

/\ Blooz, you beat me to it.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 12-07-2010).]

pontiacfierokid1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-07-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiacfierokid1985Click Here to visit pontiacfierokid1985's HomePageSend a Private Message to pontiacfierokid1985Direct Link to This Post
yea i got it to work with out holding it all the way over to left sweet deal it was the 4 speed setup so just had to move the switch and adjust it forward now it stay on when only in reverse thanks for the help guys
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonDirect Link to This Post
You still may have a problem with the 4 speed shifter. There were 2 types of 4 spd shifters. One for 4 bangers and a different one for 2.8's.

The 4 cyl one "I Believe" works like a car door. Theres a steel roller that holds the door in place when it is open so the wind won't blow it closed.
If that roller gets worn the door won't stay in the open position.

The shifter works the same way and has a similar roller. When it gets worn the shifter lever will move back from reverse to the right and disengage the backup light switch unless you hold it in position.

The 2.8 shifter is better. Maybe someone can post some pics of the two for comparison. They are also interchangeable.

Spoon
------------------
Two yeast spent their entire life "about 2 days" discussing what the purpose of life could be and not once did they even come close to the fact that they were making champagne. Quoted by: Unknown

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 12-09-2010).]

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Here is a thread I started in 05...

You just need to adjust the reverse gate detent, works best if you have a 10mm crows foot socket.

see thread...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050818-2-060578.html

[This message has been edited by The Aura (edited 12-09-2010).]

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the weekend 4 speed crowd...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock