Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  New Clutchnet 6 puck with Red Level x2 Pressure Plate. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
New Clutchnet 6 puck with Red Level x2 Pressure Plate. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 07-20-2010 01:38 AM
Replies: 51
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 08-01-2010 06:37 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Its a full Race pressure plate that they added even more CLAMP to, so they call it Red level X2

We are installing it on a members car that has a tendency to run slicks on a race track, so he needed extreme grab for his modded 3.2 V6. There are a lot of other things being checked and upgraded as well go, but here are the clutch pics. Thought a few of you might be interested in seeing it. I LOVE HOW THE SPRINGS ARE NOW COMPLETELY COVERED.

Ok this marks the start of the official Brian's Clutchnet 6 puck, Spring Hub Race Clutch with Red Level x2 Pressure plate, I will do my best to take pics of each step and include all the info that I can in order to show people the tips and tricks of doing one in a driveway without anything but a good hydraulic jack and jack stands.

Enough Chatter the Gaze at the Awesomeness of this clutch and parts.
The Disc, note that the springs are completely covered, zero chance they will pop out.

The Pressure plate is made from even stronger rivets that normal, really mazing size and it simply feels stronger.

Even got them to send up a new throwout bearing

The Parts together

Brian delivered the new Trans that was freshly rebuilt as well as the new resurfaced flywheel to go in.

We figured new plugs and a fresh rotor and cap will be in order as well. He already has an MSD Coil, MSD Box and MSD Wires.

Lots of chemicals and greasers and such, you can see the new UR5 Spark plugs.

The new Harmonic Balancer, which in my opinion looks better than a new OEM one

Even decided to do an oil change and move to all synthetic oil.

With Luck the car will be here at 8pm tomorrow and we will get started on everything. There are a lot more side jobs to do done on top of the clutch job, so we will post those up as we get to them, like showing how the auto tensioner works on the Fiero, and the Rodney Dickman 4spd shift improver kit.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thedrue

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 02:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thedrueSend a Private Message to thedrueDirect Link to This Post
That clutch is a thing of beauty! I installed that exact disc in my 3.4 turbo car a few months ago and could not be happier. They built me a 9 11/16 inch disc to go with the WCF pressure plate and aside from some chatter from the racing disc it holds like no other.

you guys will be very pleased with the performance of the clutch, we all know the quality is top notch!

Have fun.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 03:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I'm running the same setup except mine is unsprung ..I don't recommend unsprung for daily street driving. That clutch is going to be on off switch if you use it properly but will be a bit more forgiving than the unsprung would be to the trans. Try to keep from slipping it if you want it to last which means when normal driving just shift without using the clutch pedal, matching revs to trans speed to save on wear. Other than that, it holds fantastic if you have enough power.

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 07-20-2010).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Hey David.

Exact same setup here on the 4.9. Mine is the older style of disc though so the springs are not fully encased. Only 3/4 of the way. They're still WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more secure then the old Spec 3 was before it started throwing them.

Its a stiff clutch but you get used to it pretty quick. Now that I've adjusted I have no problem driving it in traffic. My 4.9 is back on daily driver duty ATM. I have never once had this clutch slip with just over 5200miles on it. Only a small amount of chatter if you don't give it enough gas. I absolutely love it.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-20-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
Just out of curiosity, what kind of power / torque is that 3.2 V6 engine putting out?
Bassman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BassmanClick Here to visit Bassman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BassmanDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

This is my beast that David is working on...certainly learning a lot from him on this build as I have since owning the car, I have never taken the car in for a dyno, after this I may. I mainly autox and track this car, I have also test drove David's car and another member who have simular setup's...certainly stiff feel, I do hope to adjust and have it not affect my driving ability as my current clutch and trans shift and feels like butter...very smooth, but after 5 minutes on a hot track, the clutch was giving out huge, hope this cures some of the issues. I also hope not to regret going this route and not a step down, time will tell.

Here is my CarDomaine link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/703903

------------------
Brian
86 GT Fastback

[This message has been edited by Bassman (edited 07-20-2010).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Its a full Race pressure plate that they added even more CLAMP to, so they call it Red level X2

We are installing it on a members car that has a tendency to run slicks on a race track, so he needed extreme grab for his modded 3.2 V6. There are a lot of other things being checked and upgraded as well go, but here are the clutch pics. Thought a few of you might be interested in seeing it. I LOVE HOW THE SPRINGS ARE NOW COMPLETELY COVERED.

Ok this marks the start of the official Brian's Clutchnet 6 puck, Spring Hub Race Clutch with Red Level x2 Pressure plate, I will do my best to take pics of each step and include all the info that I can in order to show people the tips and tricks of doing one in a driveway without anything but a good hydraulic jack and jack stands.

Enough Chatter the Gaze at the Awesomeness of this clutch and parts.
The Disc, note that the springs are completely covered, zero chance they will pop out.

The Pressure plate is made from even stronger rivets that normal, really mazing size and it simply feels stronger.

Even got them to send up a new throwout bearing

The Parts together

Brian delivered the new Trans that was freshly rebuilt as well as the new resurfaced flywheel to go in.

We figured new plugs and a fresh rotor and cap will be in order as well. He already has an MSD Coil, MSD Box and MSD Wires.

Lots of chemicals and greasers and such, you can see the new UR5 Spark plugs.

The new Harmonic Balancer, which in my opinion looks better than a new OEM one

Even decided to do an oil change and move to all synthetic oil.

With Luck the car will be here at 8pm tomorrow and we will get started on everything. There are a lot more side jobs to do done on top of the clutch job, so we will post those up as we get to them, like showing how the auto tensioner works on the Fiero, and the Rodney Dickman 4spd shift improver kit.

i ordered the same setup for the last swap i did, but had a major issue with the pressure plate, the pressure plate fingers sat to far recessed, and as a result, the pressure plate fingers would contact the hub of the clutch disc towards the bottom half of the clutch pedal's throw, causing a clutch reengagement of sorts. i dropped the tranny back out thinking i had installed something wrong, but sure enough, it was installed properly, the pressure plate was just manufactured wrong. I tried contacting them about it, and everytime i got ahold of them, the person or persons in charge of issuing a return was not available. After several weeks of the same cat n mouse game, i just gave up and shimmed the pressure plate with 1/8" washers so the fingers would extend farther out....it solved the problem, but it shouldn't have to be shimmed like that...

after driving it around, i feel the pressure plate is just too much... i think everyone is much better off using a stock pressure plate with the clutchnet clutch disc, and a stock GM throwout bearing, as it is much better manufactured than the garbage TB bearings they include with these kits
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
FE you and I have the red x1 pressure plate this one is the 2x so it should be insain. As to the hp and Id guess 200hp and 210lbs however its not that he has a problem with normal driving its when he has the slicks and wants to dump at 5800rpms sitting on the launch limiter that his current clutch just does not bite hard or fast enough.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Not sure why you had issues Stick, aside from getting the wrong pressure plate on a customers car, I have not had issue with them, and the throwout bearing they provided for my 4.9 with a 1x Red pressure plate and 6 puck disk seems to be a good match.

I do agree with Fieros Everywhere that yes you can get chatter if you don't give it enough gas, it took a bit of getting used to, however I found it to be great that I could at any rpm let the clutch out and before it makes it to the top it is full engaged and locked solid. As apposed to my current clutch in my 88 if I do a high rpm launch I can feel it slip for a half second after my foot is off the clutch pedal completely.

I would almost guess that if you had to shim the flywheel you either A. got the wrong flywheel or B. it was just simply made wrong. Question though, wouldn't it have been easier to simply change the clutch release arm / clutch fork angle slightly so that at full stroke on the slave it did not move in so far? There is not much movement but I think a couple degree's would have been enough. I don't know, just a thought.

Glad you got it all working right.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Not sure why you had issues Stick, aside from getting the wrong pressure plate on a customers car, I have not had issue with them, and the throwout bearing they provided for my 4.9 with a 1x Red pressure plate and 6 puck disk seems to be a good match.

I do agree with Fieros Everywhere that yes you can get chatter if you don't give it enough gas, it took a bit of getting used to, however I found it to be great that I could at any rpm let the clutch out and before it makes it to the top it is full engaged and locked solid. As apposed to my current clutch in my 88 if I do a high rpm launch I can feel it slip for a half second after my foot is off the clutch pedal completely.

I would almost guess that if you had to shim the flywheel you either A. got the wrong flywheel or B. it was just simply made wrong. Question though, wouldn't it have been easier to simply change the clutch release arm / clutch fork angle slightly so that at full stroke on the slave it did not move in so far? There is not much movement but I think a couple degree's would have been enough. I don't know, just a thought.

Glad you got it all working right.

nope, wouldn't work, because the distance of throw for the slave cyl is non-adjustable, changing the position of the clutch lever wouldn't help because of that. i thought of putting a stop behind the pedal in the car to physically prevent it from travelling too far and engaging the clutch disc hub, but that is starting to get whacky, when the pressure plate was the problem..... its complicated, but bottom line is they manufactured it incorrectly...shims solved it.

flywheel was correct, no mistakes on the mounting height

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
On another note mine doesn't engage until almost at the top of the pedal ..I also want to put a stop behind the pedal
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

FE you and I have the red x1 pressure plate this one is the 2x so it should be insain. As to the hp and Id guess 200hp and 210lbs however its not that he has a problem with normal driving its when he has the slicks and wants to dump at 5800rpms sitting on the launch limiter that his current clutch just does not bite hard or fast enough.

Nope. I have the 2x. Bought it in anticipation of some furture power adders. Stiffer then stock but deffinately not unbearable for daily driving, once you get used to it. I actually like it now and get pissed when I have to drive the Tercel which feels like it has no clutch at all. When I bought it they said this setup was good for 400ftlbs. I'm barely over 300 @ the flywheel as it sits.

On a side note. Clutchnet has many different pressure plates depending on the trans your mating it to. Its not just the strength they have option on. The 4 speed pressure plate is physically taller then the Getrag or isuzu one and can cause a clearance problem if used on the wrong trans. This is the only issue I ever ran accross. I originally bought this clutch for the 4 speed I was using. Shortly after I found and installed a Getrag. Had to clearance the bellhousing/pressure plate slightly for full clearance. If it ever needs to be replaced it will be with the Getrag pressure plate.

Hey Aaaron, do you think its possible they sent you a pressure plate for another trans?

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-20-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Hmm I have the or at least what I believe to be the x1 red and I was told it was good to 400 or 450lbs as well? I wonder if the old Red is the X2 and the new x1 is actually a step below what they use to sell as the standard red level pressure plate. Hmm.... I think I am going to have to go and find the pics of my pressure plate and compare them to this one to see if there are any changes.
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Hmm I have the or at least what I believe to be the x1 red and I was told it was good to 400 or 450lbs as well? I wonder if the old Red is the X2 and the new x1 is actually a step below what they use to sell as the standard red level pressure plate. Hmm.... I think I am going to have to go and find the pics of my pressure plate and compare them to this one to see if there are any changes.

I could easily be wrong on that number. I'm going from memory and that was a couple years ago now. I was told over the phone and I didn't write it down. It should be at least 400ft lbs.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Here are pics of the car itself.

[

Amazing Tires, these are not the full slicks, but still have great traction.

MSD 6AL-2 Ignition box with dual stage Rev limiter and Launch Control

The 3.2 V6 with a ton of mods.

Interior center gauges are Water Temp, Oil Pressure and Air / Fuel Ratio

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok its quarter after 10 at night and I am still in the garage, we just called it quits for the night. I am too tired to write up a full day wrap up so here is the short version

Car is up, everything unhooked, trans is out. Clutch, Pressure Plate and Flywheel were all BLUE from heat scoring and slipping, however oddly the disk was not worn to the bone. Went to put new flywheel on and realized the one that we sent out to get re-surfaced ahead of time, would not work. Idiot me, didn't realize until the last min that his is a neutral balance flywheel and the one we sent out was from an 86 Fiero with a stock 2.8. (his is a 3.1) So we had to stop on the trans at that point, so we moved on. Removed the 3 rear plugs to find out they were all under gapped at .045 when with his MSD Ignition it should have been .060 also found that the plugs had not been tightened in the last time they were installed, so 2 out of 3 were leaking a small amount of exhaust out the plug holes. (plugs were also blue at the socket end) We then removed the old damaged harmonic balancer and installed new one.

Found that several of the oil pan bolts had also worked there way loose about 1 turn each, so they were snugged down.

Found that the Cam Cover gasket is leaking a small amount of oil so it will be replaced tomorrow after a run to the parts store.

Well here are the pics. Have a good night, I am heading for the shower and to bed.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Well Stick, I guess I have to eat my words on this one, and I am so pissed at the moment I don't care.

The pressure plate is wrong.

This is a copy of the email that Brian sent to Oleg last night.

Sent: July-22-10 10:56 PM
To: sales@clutchnet.com
Cc: 'Capt Fiero'
Subject: RE: Brian Browne Wrong Pressure Plate for 86 Fiero GT V6 with 4spd Manual Transaxle
Importance: High

Oleg,

I am lost for words on how angry we are, this is not the first order that our club has from you, nor is it the first screw up on the pressure plate. I spoke with you personally, reminded you of the past problems, you remembered this and said there will not be a problem.

You need to speak with David ASAP tomorrow and advise him if there is any way for us to modify, or you ship and have a new one by this Saturday July 24th, if not:

1) I want a full refund processed by Monday July 26th to my credit card so I can place an order with another company that will provide correct parts, and you can pick up what we have as it’s no good to us at all!

2) I want compensation for the race registrations of close to $700 CAD that I will not be able be able to attend, and NO f**kING REFUNDS!, never mind the time and wasted energy that we are experiencing currently...I can provide you the receipts so you can write it off with your business

This is more than a mistake, this is carelessness...David has provided you so much information and details, then we even speak and remind you and still have this all messed up...then wait 3 weeks for this, not impressed!. We were so excited and posted how nice everything looked, etc., we should have everything running as of tonight and start to break it in as I am registered starting next Saturday for 3 days straight in racing, and the first two days on a team...now they are out and have to find another driver...there are many people involved that will be affected Oleg, never mind David who will have my car sitting at his place for a longer period!

Speak to David, I look forward to your reply and outcome.

Brian Browne

------------------

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Which pressure plate did they send you? Wrong diameter or height?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Note the diffrences in this pressure plate comparned to the one posted above. THis is the one on my V8 Fiero from Clutchnet. Note the fingers on the fingers.

------------------

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Here is mine when it was first mounted. Red X2 for V6 4 speed.

After 2k miles. Swapping to Getrag trans.

Brians:

Deffinately some differences for a pressure plate that is suppose to be the "same".

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-23-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Here is yet another Red Pressure plate that I installed on another V6 Fiero here in BC.

http://westcoastfieros.com/...?TID=1356&PN=1&TPN=3

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 07-23-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok here are the pics where the Pressure Plate and Bell housing were rubbing.

We tried to clearance the bell housing however it was still rubbing and we did not want to grind any more off for fear of reducing the strength of the trans.

This is the way to re and re a trans in a driveway without a hoist,

We marked the trans where it was rubbing

Dr Fiero aka Watts aka John,

You can see the red paint where it was rubbing

Various angles to show the paint rubbed off where it was hitting.

More of the Trans Marked where it was hitting.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 07-23-2010).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

Nope. I have the 2x. Bought it in anticipation of some furture power adders. Stiffer then stock but deffinately not unbearable for daily driving, once you get used to it. I actually like it now and get pissed when I have to drive the Tercel which feels like it has no clutch at all. When I bought it they said this setup was good for 400ftlbs. I'm barely over 300 @ the flywheel as it sits.

On a side note. Clutchnet has many different pressure plates depending on the trans your mating it to. Its not just the strength they have option on. The 4 speed pressure plate is physically taller then the Getrag or isuzu one and can cause a clearance problem if used on the wrong trans. This is the only issue I ever ran accross. I originally bought this clutch for the 4 speed I was using. Shortly after I found and installed a Getrag. Had to clearance the bellhousing/pressure plate slightly for full clearance. If it ever needs to be replaced it will be with the Getrag pressure plate.

Hey Aaaron, do you think its possible they sent you a pressure plate for another trans?

hmmm, not sure man, it was within spec compared to a stock GM as far as the physical height at a lengthy glance when side by side, i have always thought that the clutch/pressure plate was the same on all fiero trannies, just the TB bearing was different, so this is news to me..

anything is possible...
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Well Stick, I guess I have to eat my words on this one, and I am so pissed at the moment I don't care.

The pressure plate is wrong.

This is a copy of the email that Brian sent to Oleg last night.
This is more than a mistake, this is carelessness...David has provided you so much information and details, then we even speak and remind you and still have this all messed up...then wait 3 weeks for this, not impressed!. We were so excited and posted how nice everything looked, etc., we should have everything running as of tonight and start to break it in as I am registered starting next Saturday for 3 days straight in racing, and the first two days on a team...now they are out and have to find another driver...there are many people involved that will be affected Oleg, never mind David who will have my car sitting at his place for a longer period!

Speak to David, I look forward to your reply and outcome.

Brian Browne

David, that blows man, really blows, i am sorry... i didn't have clearence issues with mine, height wise the outside of the pressure plate was ok on my swap. i used a snake video cam that i picked up off ebay to help me diagnose the problems i was having by feeding it through the starter hole on the tranny, and i was able to see that i have enough clearance, even after shimming my pressur eplate it was the resting height of the pressure plate fingers that was too low. when you shim the pressure plate off of the flywheel the way i did, it brings out the tips of the pressure plate fingers a little more, making it so, in my case, the pressure plate fingers can't over extend and hit the hub of the clutch disc at the bottom of pedal engagement...

your issue is entirely worse than mine and much more severe, as it doesn't really seem fixable?...

i recommend that you check the stock height of the pressure plate against the clutchnet one, and then also the height of the clutch itself.. who knows, the clutch might be causing some geometry issues as well... honestly, am oem pressure plate would be my best recommendation, it should hold fine without any slippage with that setup...they are still easy enough to get locally from napa or advance auto

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Note the diffrences in this pressure plate comparned to the one posted above. THis is the one on my V8 Fiero from Clutchnet. Note the fingers on the fingers.

the pressure plate i was having issues with looks exactly like this one, with the intriguing looking fingers....

seriously dave, just get an oem pressure plate, get your money back, and you'll be fine bro... if you paid with a visa, i would just cancel the charges.

also

Dr Fiero looks like Sam Neil from Jurrasic Park
Bassman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 01:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BassmanClick Here to visit Bassman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BassmanDirect Link to This Post
Cant cancel the charges that were processed at the start of this month...and I need more than a OEM
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 02:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
That's what I would do is use a stock pressure plate. The clutch will
hold the power no problem so you can attend the event
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok quick update, Oleg is Overnight shipping the new pressure plate to Canada, at the latest it will be at my door Monday, however I am going to call UPS and ask them to hold it at the Deepo and Call me as soon as it is in their hands and I will drive out to the deepo and pick it up. Its about an hour drive but if we can get it a day early or even just 8-12hrs earlier it will be worth it.

The only thing that worries me is that Oleg said he would get me the pressure plates tracking number by the end of the day even confirmed that I wanted that number with him on the phone at 4:30 and he never got it to me or Brian.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
I did not post up the pics of the stock pressure plate, however the stock disk was still in good shape it had been the pressure plate that was not holding. In fact the stock disk looked good enough that I would have put it back in, I did not know that it was slipping.

However the pressure plate fingers had warped out enough that I could tell it was not applying nearly enough bite to the disk.

Whats the point of having an amazing disk if your pressure plate can't handle the torque of the engine due to reduced clamping force.

Brains car has Rodney's Poly trans mounts, Poly Dog Bone, Poly control arm mounts, solid sway bar mounts, a freshly rebuild 4spd (which should be able to take any abuse his motor can dish out and a cammed, ported 3.2 V6 with 1.6 rockers, ported exhaust, ported heads, and all sorts of goodies.

With the slicks on the car and setting a launch rpm limit of 5800 rpms, those slicks are going to bite like the dickens. All the mechanical parts should hold solid, so the only slippable part will be the clutch, and we don't want that to slip,

IN that crucial first 100ft of any Autocross race it can make or brake an entire race.

Honestly I would like to take guesses on what part WILL bust first. Engine at 5800rpms, tires at Zero RPM clutch that grabs like an on off switch, all I can hope is that it lunges that car forward with a voracity like no other.

------------------

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
What is the measurement of the interferance? Measure the depth of the bellhousing and compare it to the protrusion of the pressure plate. If it is between .030 and .060, I would just get the flywheel surfaced that amount and move on. This would be the fastest solution and flywheels are pretty disposable if you ever want to change it back at a later date.

The pressure plates in the pictures above look very similar to the several Spec pressure plates (just red vs. blue). My first one (Stage 3 with lightened pressure plate), looked just like the one with the fingers in the fingers and holes around the peremeter (the pressure plate clamp ring also had holes). I do not think any of the clutch places are actually building their own pressure plates, just rebuilding the currently available ones from someone who does build pressure plates.

Mixing/matching clutch disks can quickly get any clutch mfg in trouble if they are not verifying the stack height of the clutch fingers... because their height is highly dependent on clutch disk thickness. The thicker the disk, the futher in the clutch fingers go (closer to the flywheel), the thinner the further out they go (away from the flywheel). They can get in trouble 2 ways... run too thick of a disk and the fingers may not have enough room to disengage before the fingers make contact with the clutch disk hub. Make it too thin, then the fingers protrude further into the limited space in the bellhousing. Then as the clutch wears, the fingers will continue to go deeper and deeper into the bellhousing until they bottom out on the fully compressed throwout bearing. This will start reducing pressure plate clamp load and lead to premature clutch slippage. Many flywheels either have the portion of the flywheel surface where the pressure plate attaches either machined down or built up to correct the placement of the pressure plate fingers.

With any aftermarket clutch (regardless of vendor) it is best to double check the clutch finger position relative to throwout bearing travel and the overall thickness of the pressure plate body to bellhousing depth.

Spec's highest clamp load pressure plate is thicker than the lower levels (probably to make room for additional spring force, so I would assume ClutchNet would need to do the same (they are probably using the same pressure plate anyway)

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 07-24-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
As always Guru you bring good info to the table, so Thank You. However it is all info that we already knew, just had not posted.

Clutchnet does not make their own pressure plates housings. They buy an off the shelf plate, and re-manufacture it with heavier parts. In this case it was a Sach's pressure plate that they used and it won't work.

We did try to clearance the bell housing hoping that .010 would be enough as we did not want to cut any further in case we reduced the strength of the trans. .010 was not enough in the end, then we thought about modifying the flywheel, first idea was to remove .020 from the back of the flywheel so it would move everything away from the trans, however that would also re-locate the ring gear back .020 which could cause starter engagement issues, so that was scrapped, then we thought along the same lines as you, just take an additional off of the front of the flywheel, however then we run into the fact that any new flywheel installed would have to be ground that far as well. Making any later clutch job just that much more of a paint.

The total difference between his old pressure plate and the new one is 0.186 in the height of the face. (4cm stock vs 4.55cm is what they sent us.) There is just no way that we could compensate for that much space. Especially when Brian paid for the right one in the first place at a cost of over $500 bucks with taxes and shipping.

Its going to get down to the wire to get the new one and get it all installed, however this is where we are at, we have learned a lot more this time than I did when we fought this same job on Tristan's 86GT V6 4spd car with a Clutchnet clutch. (They had sent the wrong one twice and finally on the 3rd try they got it right) I think next time we do a 4spd car, we will make sure to specify the pressure plate face height of no more than 4cm's when we order it. Unfortunately it does not make sense to have to rip the car apart, take the measurements then order it and have the car torn apart sitting for a week waiting for the clutch, when I prefer to drop it, swap it and put it back together in day.

I think I am off to go find the UPS number and call the deepo.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bassman:

Cant cancel the charges that were processed at the start of this month...and I need more than a OEM

it will hold fine.. unless you are throwing down 300 lb/ft, i doubt you'll have an issue
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Be very careful clearancing there. That "round" part there is actually the seat for one of the output shaft bearings. It takes a bit of load as it is. Weaken in too much and those 5500+rpm clutch dumps will make very short work of that trans. They will already be rough on it and you don't want to make it worse.

Like we discussed yesterday, and the Guru said, machining the flywheel is probably the best route to go if you want to use that pressure plate. Hopefully it wont come to that and the new pressure plate will arrive shortly. Later Dave

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-24-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-24-2010 02:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN

He shipped it RUSH its in Richmond BC 30mins from my HOUSE, and UPS CANADA WON'T LET ME HAVE IT BECAUSE THE DEPOT IS CLOSED in CANADA ON THE WEEKENDS. Apparently Oleg did not check the little box on the shipping thing for Saturday delivery so they won't even try to deliver it until Monday...... FUCJ

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 07-24-2010).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2010 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok with the clutch portion of this work on hold, Brian decided to redo the front brakes.

So the Grand-Am front brakes got new pads, new rotors and new wheel studs. It was amazing how quickly it went. Brian also changed a rear coolant hose, however I did not get pics of him doing that.

I did the left side of the cars brakes and he did the right. I just love the look of new brake parts, especially when its topped with nicely painted callipers and racing tires.

Ok pics.

The brakes

Love those super size rotors.

Brian putting the wheel back on.

Love those tires, amazing feel even when handling them in your hands, they just feel sticky.

Extra long wheel studs to keep the track officials happy, ensure that with the thicker rotors the studs have enough grip and it just looks good having the extra stud Length.

Nice brakes and callipers behind the wheels.

------------------

windowlicker

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for windowlickerSend a Private Message to windowlickerDirect Link to This Post
what kind of tires are those?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Tires are Toyo R888's

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
WooHoo, the new pressure plate arrived, we got it installed and hand cranked the motor nothing is hitting now.

We got started around 6pm tonight and by 10pm, the clutch was installed, tranny back in and bolted, dickman mounts put back on, drivers suspension put back together, cradle raised back up into position and cradle bolts tight.

At that point we called it a night.

However I had a guest over that would not be able to go home until we fixed his alternator. So after Brian left around 10:15pm I helped Tristan finish off the rebuild on his alternator and install it into his 86GT. Thankfully all went well and it was charging at 14.5v on the first fire up.

Ok Pics for the night.

The new pressure plate, honestly it does not look as robust as the fist one, however it works and we shall see just how good of a clamping force it has.

Very much shorter than the 1st one though, which totally solved the hitting the bell housing.

Never heard of Hechoenmexicc however the 184 was stamped on the Luke clutch we had.

Stopped and cleaned up the flywheel before we installed the 2nd pressure plate as there was red locktite residue, and at the same time cleaned up the center hub which was kinda crappy looking.

Pressure plate installed. I actually had to install it twice as the first time I did not get the disk lined up perfect and was not happy with it.

Tristan working on his Alternator

Lisa coming out to check on us and make sure we were not goofing off.

Its Up, Yaaa

Nice to see it with the guts pushed back up.

The motor is back where it is suppose to be.

------------------

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post

Never heard of Hechoenmexicc however the 184 was stamped on the Luke clutch we had.

"Hecho en Mexico" means Made in Mexico. Just FYI.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
LOL, ya I found that out as soon as I googled it. Which agan kinda worries me. However if Oleg says it will work, I am going to trust him to his word. If it does not hold, it may be the last clutch I buy from him.

------------------

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock