Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  The Yellow Fiero gets 13" brakes (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
The Yellow Fiero gets 13" brakes by yellowstone
Started on: 06-11-2010 09:42 PM
Replies: 61
Last post by: yellowstone on 06-21-2010 09:31 AM
yellowstone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 250
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 13" WCF kit (Viper rotors/Corvette calipers) from another PFF member. It arrived today and I started with cleaning and painting the parts.

I will take pictures of my progress and the installation.

The boxes:

Out of the box:

After a thorough cleaning, masking off for painting:

All rotors painted:

Hubs painted:

Brackets painted:

Calipers will be done tomorrow and installation will be Monday/Tuesday.

------------------

www.yellowfiero.com
17" DEZENT T wheels with 215/40 tires front and 235/45 rear, KONI shocks, EIBACH lowering springs, drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake hoses. PU dog bone, all bushings and engine mounts, K&N air and oil filters, Rebuilt&blueprinted V6, BORLA exhaust. Mercedes SLK yellow paintjob, Mr. Mikes leather seats, door skins, shift and e-brake boots. MP3 deck and custom subwoofer behind passenger seat, F355 style front, Aus' Stage 2 side scoops, "Fie Ro" extractor front scoop. Fiero Store rear swaybar, strut tower brace, black carpet, air intake. Rodney Dickman's competition short shifter, SS vacuum lines and deck lid strut. Billet aluminum dash kit from Kitcarman.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt17Send a Private Message to fierogt17Direct Link to This Post
very nice =)
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Idk what it is about those rotors, but I just don't get a comfortable feeling looking at the way they're drilled. I don't see how it could be a problem, but it looks awefully weird.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 06-11-2010).]

ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-11-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I think there was a big long thread on here some time ago about this issue. Don't know what the general consensus was on the drilling of the rotors but I know I wouldn't use them.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyDirect Link to This Post
If the center is a snug fit I would think that a couple of weak holes would not present a problem.

Charlie

LT188GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Kolja, what time will you be at Phil's place on Monday?
pavo_roddy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pavo_roddySend a Private Message to pavo_roddyDirect Link to This Post
HI all

Will there be an engine swap in the future?? Hehe...

------------------
Me, I sell engines, the cars are for free, I need something to crate the engines in....
Enzo Ferrari....

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines....
Enzo Ferrari...

Today they are called garage's, yesterday, they were stable's! Eric Jacobsen....

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Around 9:30 am. Are you going to be there?

Originally posted by LT188GT:

Kolja, what time will you be at Phil's place on Monday?

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Progress....

Hanging to dry for installation on Monday:

I'm getting excited!
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yellowstone:

Around 9:30 am. Are you going to be there?

I will try.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Cool! I'll hopefully get my A/C fixed, too. The steady stream of sweat is not good for my Mr. Mikes seats! :-)
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Progress....
Hanging to dry for installation on Monday:

I'm getting excited!

Dude, you don't mess around when it comes to getting on the ball--do yeah.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Never. I'm an "instant satisfaction" kind of guy.

Originally posted by madcurl:

Fiero1K

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-12-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1KSend a Private Message to Fiero1KDirect Link to This Post
Take another amazing picture to replace the one of yours on my desktop right now. I noticed your rotors looked a little small in that pic

------------------
1988 Metallic Red Pontiac Fiero CJB T-Top Coupe, # 784 of 1252

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Never. I'm an "instant satisfaction" kind of guy.

Hey, what's the chemicals you used to clean those rotors and what's the name of the caliper paint too? Please take before and after pics.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
I used carburettor and brake cleaners, a wire sponge, wire brushes, an electric wire wheel and shop rags to clean. High-temp silver/aluminum and black paint as well as red caliper paint from Advanced Auto Parts for painting.

Of course I will take before/after pix.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-13-2010 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

Ain't that the truth! I like the fact that you did this by hand. It only make you stronger.

You will definately have to report on the increased stopping power. Just cool.

PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cptsnoopy:

If the center is a snug fit I would think that a couple of weak holes would not present a problem.

Charlie

I definitely wouldn't worry. The rotor is clamped between the wheel and the hub, the screws are only there to provide the clamping force which in turns results in the friction that's keeping the wheel, rotor and hub at the same rotational speed relative to eachother.
But it does look weird with the siamese holes And I do wonder why the kit uses 13" Viper rotors instead of 13" Vette rotors?
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PerKr:
And I do wonder why the kit uses 13" Viper rotors instead of 13" Vette rotors?

From what I was told the Viper rotors are much lighter.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-13-2010).]

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post06-13-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
I am a bit worried about braking bias on this kit. 88's brakes are identical at all 4 corners. 84-87's are slightly front biased, but this kit looks to be all about the front. That might be OK for a corvette, but for a Fiero, I would be concerned. You might want to consider disabling your Proportional valve, as now your bias is so heavily shifted by the brakes themselves. If you leave the Proportional valve as it is, you will have very little rear braking and poor stopping distances.

that'll give you a fixed 50-50 front to rear pressure distribution instead of the 58-42 front to rear the factory prop valve will deliver at max braking pressure. That should help straighten out the bias issue that this brake upgrade is sure to cause. I wish I could find hard data on piston diameters for these calipers, It would be interesting to see what kind of bias the corvette used.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
The project has started...

Everything nicely laid out...

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-14-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnDirect Link to This Post
I am highly curious what the weight difference is between the original and new brake parts for each axle. Do you have either the time or interest to provide this info? TIA.

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kennn:

I am highly curious what the weight difference is between the original and new brake parts for each axle. Do you have either the time or interest to provide this info? TIA.

Ken

Call WCF since they're the ones who shipped the parts, but Yellowstone might know since the weight should be indicated on the package. Otherwise, I have weights for the C5 and various parts.
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
This is how the day ended:

Still to do:
- Move the front shock inward
- Extend the steering stop
- Install e-brake
- Bleed brakes

Clem (LT88GT) and I took a lot of progress pictures, will post later.

[This message has been edited by yellowstone (edited 06-14-2010).]

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Yellowstone:

Looks great!

Regards,

David
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 12:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post

MountainHiBlue87GT

369 posts
Member since Jan 2009
Folks:

The Viper 13" rotor weighs 17 lbs per wheel while the 13" Vette rotors are MUCH heavier, I think the front Vette rotor is 27 lbs and the rear Vette rotor is probably lighter than 27 lbs. We weighed the rotors on a shipping scale several years ago, but I cannot remember the Vette's weights. Also, I cannot find the Vette 13" rotor weight on the Internet; maybe someone else can. The weight difference is so significant that WCF no longer offers them, but I am sure if you really want them, WCF will supply them.

One of the real advantages of Yellowstone's WCF setup is that you keep the Vette E-Brake.

Regards,

David
PerKr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PerKrClick Here to visit PerKr's HomePageSend a Private Message to PerKrDirect Link to This Post
didn't know about the weight difference. pretty damn good reason for using the viper rotors
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Yellowstone:

Also, when you have the tires balanced, be sure they use the thinnest weights available if those are 17" wheels.

Regards,

David

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Two important pix.

The man and his vehicle:

The man working on his vehicle:

yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 07:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post

yellowstone

9299 posts
Member since Jun 2003
Thanks for the advice but there's some space between the caliper and the weights that are on now. A little less than 1 cm (0.4") I'd say

Originally posted by MountainHiBlue87GT:

Yellowstone:

Also, when you have the tires balanced, be sure they use the thinnest weights available if those are 17" wheels.

Regards,

David

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Damn! What an awesome garage that Miami Beach apartment has

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 5 speed
304rwHP/366rwTQ

PFF
System Bot
yellowstone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yellowstoneSend a Private Message to yellowstoneDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, right! Welcome to Hialeah!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
2-piece rotor
Corvette front Caliper/pad/13" rotor

Caliper/pad weight

Total weight of all two components

randye

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Two important pix.

The man and his vehicle:

The man working on his vehicle:

1. I see NO TOOLS in this man's hands!
2. I see NOT A SINGLE BIT of grease or dirt on this man's hands, shirt, or pants! (In fact that is the cleanest white t-shirt I think I have ever seen!)
3. This man does not appear to be SWEATING at all in the South Florida heat!
4. This man is smiling WAY too much!

I do not believe that this man is actually *working* on his car!

NOW I know who this man is!!!
IT'S MR. CLEAN!!

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 06-15-2010).]

aaronkoch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
That, and he's cheating by using a lift. Real men crawl around in the dirt and swear a lot.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
Curly:

Is that a stock Vette rotor or a Wilwood or some such?

Regards,

David
LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post
Actually Kolja reads the instructions to the mechanic. It's too hot to work today.

[This message has been edited by LT188GT (edited 06-15-2010).]

LT188GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LT188GTSend a Private Message to LT188GTDirect Link to This Post

LT188GT

5181 posts
Member since Jul 2003

Between the both of us, we have a boat load of pics and a lot of duplicates.
So here are just three pics of many.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-15-2010 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LT188GT:

Actually Kolja reads the instructions to the mechanic. It's too hot to work today.

Hmmmm...Looks to me like he's headed off to the toilet with the newspaper!

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock