Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Detailed 11.25" LeBaron/Seville brake upgrade writeup w/parts list ('84-'87 only) (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Detailed 11.25" LeBaron/Seville brake upgrade writeup w/parts list ('84-'87 only) by GS Jon
Started on: 07-06-2009 12:13 AM
Replies: 69
Last post by: GS Jon on 05-30-2010 10:58 AM
GS Jon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Please PM Nurb432 or JStricker for details on the swap.

[This message has been edited by GS Jon (edited 05-25-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Awesome

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic write up Jon. This will save "rookies" to the Fiero world like me a lot of work and worry! A+ to you for making the effort
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Direct Link to This Post
Great write up! I wish this was posted years ago when mine were done!

------------------

kwagner

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kwagnerClick Here to visit kwagner's HomePageSend a Private Message to kwagnerDirect Link to This Post
Perfect timing! Thanks
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I thought Camaro calipers were used for the front? or S10?
something about a better location for the bleeder?
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Great writeup. Please don't alter/move anythng on Photobucket. Photobucket pictures tend to disappear and then the thread's value is diminished when the pictures are missing.

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& My SD4 Indy

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-06-2009 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

GS Jon

974 posts
Member since May 2005

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2009 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Awesome writeup. I have this upgrade on my car now and its much better than stock. I got new pads last week and wanted to share that Pep Boys is closing out the Hawk HPStreet pads for the camaro for $20 a set if you're looking for performance pads. Get them before their stock runs out!

Also, cheapest rotors I've come across are from autopartsnerd at roughly $21 each. Spend $50 for free shipping! Part number 7993.
black4.9

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2009 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black4.9Send a Private Message to black4.9Direct Link to This Post
Just a bump to the top and a thanks till I can run out and buy a cartridge for my printer.
PFF
System Bot
philbur120

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2009 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for philbur120Send a Private Message to philbur120Direct Link to This Post
Just swapped out my master and front breaks to the lebaron set up and worked great. Used the bolts and spacer references you gave! thanks

Phil
Forced_Firebird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Forced_FirebirdSend a Private Message to Forced_FirebirdDirect Link to This Post
Excellent writeup, Jon. Glad to see so many people interested in the swap, and the part we cut worked out good.
TONY_C

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TONY_CSend a Private Message to TONY_CDirect Link to This Post
excellent write up Jon. Does anyone know what the legality of this swap could be? I'm not trying to start a flame war, I think this swap looks very good and would work fine but what are the liability issues? I realize that will vary from state to state.
Also, has anyone done a comparison of stopping distances with this setup vs. the original stock numbers?
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-17-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TONY_C:

excellent write up Jon. Does anyone know what the legality of this swap could be? I'm not trying to start a flame war, I think this swap looks very good and would work fine but what are the liability issues? I realize that will vary from state to state.
Also, has anyone done a comparison of stopping distances with this setup vs. the original stock numbers?

LOL, the "legality" issue regarding this swap would be that every state in the union should REQUIRE every Fiero to have this upgrade. It's that much better than stock. Period. I have done this swap and it is like night and day in the difference. You would swear you're driving a new car when you put on the brakes, only difference being there's no ABS.

But to more seriously answer your question, I doubt there is much on the books regarding the legality of upgrading brakes. With the glut of ads for aftermarket brake upgrades in all the car mags, it doesn't seem like much of a problem.
sergioazevedo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sergioazevedoSend a Private Message to sergioazevedoDirect Link to This Post
photos didnt work said that they r unavalible
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

Panzuur

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2009 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PanzuurSend a Private Message to PanzuurDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic writeup!
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2009 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

CDubbz88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 05:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CDubbz88GTSend a Private Message to CDubbz88GTDirect Link to This Post
What size rims are required for this upgrade? im guessing 17 or bigger?

Great writeup btw, lookin for brackets here soon ... after i get my choptop glass of course...
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2009 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Fits fine with my stock 15" GT wheels.
PFF
System Bot
CDubbz88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 06:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CDubbz88GTSend a Private Message to CDubbz88GTDirect Link to This Post
Awsome, just one more question, do you think you could add how much each part costs, even if it may be a rough estimate. It would help me out and very likely others as well that will be doing this upgrade in the future.

So is there a large difference in braking ability? how about the pedal, how hard is it? Does it help the brake fade issues?

You really are helping this community so much so thanks in advance.
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I used the blazer MC on my car when I first did my brakes. After doing the vette swap on another fiero, I changed this car over to the vette MC from the blazer unit and I was much happier with the pedal feel. I'm sure it's personal preference but it's something you might want to consider.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GS Jon:I need to add the Blazer brake booster, but the pedal feels adequate though not as hard as I personally prefer. It's a matter of personal preference, which is why I want to upgrade to the larger booster.

You do realize a bigger booster is going to make the pedal feel mushier.

(I'm making this assumption based on that a Blazer is heavier than a Fiero and most likely has a booster capable of providing more force)

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 09-04-2009).]

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2009 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
The small front calipers would increase the *rear* bias, compared to Seville all around.
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2009 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post
Fixed. My apologies, I'm going a bit braindead recently.
ace5514

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2009 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
hey guys,
anyone look at the wildwood gm calipers, says left or right mounts and look a little better (more like a performance caliper) than the basic gm caliper. they come with a 2 3/8" bore and several disc width options? i think i read someone was looking at them but not sure if they did. mid $90's on the net. i am interested.
al
these are a couple the sites selling them ..bottom one is cheaper
http://www.hotrodsusa.com/s...liper_gm_metric.html

http://www.bsrproducts.com/...ingle-piston-floater
edited for more info

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 12-31-2009).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ace5514:

hey guys,
anyone look at the wildwood gm calipers, says left or right mounts and look a little better (more like a performance caliper) than the basic gm caliper. they come with a 2 3/8" bore and several disc width options? i think i read someone was looking at them but not sure if they did. mid $90's on the net. i am interested.
al
this is one od the sites selling them ..i found cheaper.

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/s...liper_gm_metric.html

The Wilwoods lack dust boots. Eventually, through street use, dirt will find its way into the high pressure piston seal and cause failure. If you are going to go with aftermarket calipers, you might as well choose the bore that's optimal for the application, and in this case, 2-3/8" is too large. I have 2-1/4" front calipers and still find it a bit too front-biased (but quite close).
PFF
System Bot
ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
"PM..."
what do you have on the back (what car and what diam piston) i saw a 2" piston one somewhere. i just like the performance look...but i got a keep the cost down. i thought inly the aluminum wildwoods didn't have the dust boot. i think these are iron.
thanks
al
just checked they are aluminum.

[This message has been edited by ace5514 (edited 12-31-2009).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
I have 1985 Cadillac Seville rear calipers with 2-1/8" bores.

If you're going for the aftermarket look, I believe SSBC makes drop-in calipers with dust boots, with and without a parking brake.

You'll also save unsprung weight compared to the 4 iron calipers like I have...
And spend more money.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 12-31-2009).]

ace5514

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ace5514Send a Private Message to ace5514Direct Link to This Post
i gotta do something but aftermarket is gonna take me broke.
thanks for the info.
al
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2009 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

VelociJuris

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VelociJurisSend a Private Message to VelociJurisDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for clear write up. It is very helpful.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the great write up. This is perfect because I currently have someone doing the swap for me and they need some direction.

I beleive this will be the perfect remedy for their issues
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

Justin Heileman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Justin HeilemanSend a Private Message to Justin HeilemanDirect Link to This Post
I was just curious if you have added the Blazer Master Cylinder yet?
GS Jon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2010 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GS JonClick Here to visit GS Jon's HomePageSend a Private Message to GS JonDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock