replacing water pump by drebinpk
Started on: 01-28-2010 07:20 PM
Replies: 35
Last post by: drebinpk on 02-02-2010 03:34 PM
drebinpk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
ok so im replacing the water pump on the 87 4cyl with ac fiero and i have the batt out coolant drained and belt off but im really cant figure out how to go about taking it off
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Need pulley puller/install kit. (Same one that the power steering pump pulley.)
Autozone, etc, has loaner tool. (My favorite...)

May need to unbolt the engine mount and jack engine up to give you some room for puller/install kit. (Need battery out...)

See cave, serpent belt. you need to read when you install the pulley.

or Some people say some bolt can be "walk" out... One bolt give 1 turn. Next bolt give 1 turn. etc and etc until it's out.

or still other say you can the whole thing off the block..

Need pulley kit anyway... See cave. Serpent belt. Or you'll eat belt. May need to tweak the pulley.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-28-2010).]

drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
so dont use the after market pulley that comes on the new ones? and should i take it off at the block or at the pump which is easier?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

I changed the water pump on an '84 duke when I had the cradle swung down at the back for a tranny swap, and taking the pump off the housing (as opposed to taking the housing off the block) was pretty easy. I imagine though it's more difficult when the engine and cradle are up in their proper location.

If the replacement water pump has exactly the same pulley on it as your original one, go ahead and use it. Saves the hassle of getting the proper pulley puller. (Say those last three words quickly five times.)
JohnyGt67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyGt67Send a Private Message to JohnyGt67Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I changed the water pump on an '84 duke when I had the cradle swung down at the back for a tranny swap, and taking the pump off the housing (as opposed to taking the housing off the block) was pretty easy. I imagine though it's more difficult when the engine and cradle are up in their proper location.

If the replacement water pump has exactly the same pulley on it as your original one, go ahead and use it. Saves the hassle of getting the proper pulley puller. (Say those last three words quickly five times.)

I think some of the later model 2.5's used a different water pump, other accessories, and a serpentine belt. I had a cracked housing on my '84-a real witch to find, and worse to fix, engine in place, in the driveway. I still haven't reinstalled the compressor, as I had to start using her for a D.D. again.

------------------
'84 Sport Coupe (third time's a charm?)

drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
yup the 87's use a serpentine belt
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
I cut out, And Installed a "unboltable Battery Box" with the battery box out, you can get right at the waterpump ! In My oppinion, a great "upgrade"
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I unbolted the pump from the housing by getting behind the pulley with a wrench. After the pump was off, I swapped pulleys. It was pretty quick. I wouldn't try to take off the pulley with the pump in the car. This was on an '88 coupe (same engine).

J.
drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
so since the pulley is in the way of the bolts i cant use a ratchet and with the norm wrench i cant get enough torque to break the bolts loose what can i do now?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
box ended wrench, extra long? Not sure, I really never had a problem with taking bolts off a water pump with a wrench, but I have strong hands/arms. I have used a small hammer to tap the wrench to get bolts free, try that. Just make sure you are using "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey".

J.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 01-29-2010).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Like theogre mentioned, you may need to rent a wheel /pulley puller but the space is so tight on the Duke. If not, can you get a long breaker bar on those stubborn bolts? Maybe a hunk of pipe over the end of your wrench for torque? The problem is that you haven't any room to work with, even if you pop a dogbone bolt out and pull the engine back towards the trunk, you'll only gain 2-inches or so.

I don't know if this will be of much value to you but here is a link to the dissassembly pictures on my 88 Duke with air. Feel free to click around, save them to your computer too if you like, that's why I posted them, to help my forum friends.

http://jetman.smugmug.com/C...KwbE#310980886_ynESJ

I guess that half the battle is "seeing" which bolts to remove to get the housing off. Man alive, I know your pain, keep at it, you'll get it, everyone in this thread is pulling for you.

------------------
jetman
Silver 86 SE 2M6 4-speed, with
"check wallet light"
Now fortified with 8 essential slices of bacon goodness

PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Yup, we want you to succeed! I have changed two 2.5l water pumps (84 and 88), both without taking the pulley off. You can do it!
drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
so i actually dont have the shield between my exhaust manifold and the engine block that being said would it just be easier to just take the whole housing off instead of the housing off the pump?
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2010 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Found it, here is the thread that I had bookmarked....

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-084336.html

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 01-29-2010).]

drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
well i got it off today but seams like the pump is fine... thought it had a plastic propeler but it doesnt and it spins freely but there really isnt anything else i can check is there?
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
I'll offer this advice, you may wish to consider replacing the pump now rather than later since they're such a bear to get at.
The usual items here, make sure that everything is absolutely clean, chase the thread holes, fresh gaskets, Permatex "Right Stuff", fresh hoses and clamps too. You know that we're saying to take your time to do the job right, don't want any headaches later after all this much work you've put in.
TopNotch

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by drebinpk:

well i got it off today but seams like the pump is fine... thought it had a plastic propeler but it doesnt and it spins freely but there really isnt anything else i can check is there?

Only V6 Fieros have the plastic impeller problem. All duke water pumps have a cast iron impeller. I don't think you ever said what the problem is, that caused you to take it off. So what was the problem?
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
Now that you already "have it out", Change the pump. Otherwise, the Seal will surely go bad 3 days after you put the old one back in !
JohnyGt67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyGt67Send a Private Message to JohnyGt67Direct Link to This Post
Was there an original symptom you were trying to diagnose or fix? Run it past us, if so. I agree on the pump. Since everything is apart already, and the new one doesn't cost much, do it now, enjoy carefree driving later.

------------------

drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2010 11:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
so he was the problem when i run the car and let it warm up it climbs to 250-260 really fast and the radiator will be cold but when you change the rmps allot it will cool down to norm temp for maybe 10sec so i did some test tried it without thermo and same thing just took longer to warm up. then i took the thermostat houseing cap off and rad cap off and put some coolant in the thermo housing to see if it would come out the rad and it did this tells me there isnt any clogs between the 2 and i checked all the pipes to make sure they were free of bends and they were
Lou6t4gto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoDirect Link to This Post
2 things: have you checked the Temp with a Mechanical Gauge ? Have you put a gauge on the radiator cap opening to check for head gasket leak ? with all the caps ON & the system Full, after it reads 260, does it pike out coolant anywhere ? drain ? cap hose ?
PFF
System Bot
drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
there deff isnt a head gasket leak it has a brand new head and gasket on it and you cant smell any coolant in the air no leaks in the system
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Remember that he's got an 87 Duke, the temperature sending unit is up on the thermostat fill cap assembly, it's tough to keep the sender in the coolant without a thorough burping procedure.
drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2010 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
ok so i installed the new pump but cant get the alternator on now... have the belt right but just not enough slack to bolt the alt down
drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
bump
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Install the alternator first *then* put the belt on. You'll never get the alternator bolted up with the belt on, there's usually too much force behind the tensioner. BE CAREFULL on the tensioner, over time they get weak and you may crack it so go easy on it.

Edit.... found a picture for you just in case the diagram is missing from the deck lid.

[This message has been edited by jetman (edited 02-01-2010).]

drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
also the pulley on the new water pump doesnt look 100% even with the rest of the pulleys
jetman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

also the pulley on the new water pump doesnt look 100% even with the rest of the pulleys

That was a good catch finding that out before your final assembly.

Take a straight edge and check it against the other pulleys, that's the most accurate way of measuring. All the pulleys need to be true to each other otherwise you'll toss and shred belts all day long. Is it possible that the water pump pulley isn't on all the way?

JohnyGt67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyGt67Send a Private Message to JohnyGt67Direct Link to This Post
A cracked shaft in the water pump, or air in the system, would seem the most likely caused of the problem. Fieros are funny about air in the system. Check out proper, "burping," procedure at Ogre's cave, or there are instructions somewhere on V8 Archie's site.

------------------

drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
well i have the whole thing back together and it isn't running hot anyomore! but it is leaking at the housing and block...
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Are you sure it is the block/housing? Is the hose clamp tight? Did you do anything to the block/housing connection?
PFF
System Bot
drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
well i took it off at the block and housing but put a new gasket there only thing i can think is maybe i didnt get all the old gasket off? it felt like i did but could really see to tell it was all just based of feel
JohnyGt67

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnyGt67Send a Private Message to JohnyGt67Direct Link to This Post
When I had my cracked housing, this is how it all started. I supported the car on jacks stands, got underneath with the car running, to finally find it. it as cracked near the inlet assembly, and just sort of seeped out, bounced around, and ended up dripping off the cradle. I thought it was the inlet to housing o-ring at first, and it was hard to see with the compressor in place (not sure if comp. is same location on your car). Then, I was sure I'd lost my touch with gaskets, tore it apart, cleaned it up, painstakingly seal/assemble-still leaking. Had never heard of a cracked housing, so never bothered to check.

------------------

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

well i took it off at the block and housing but put a new gasket there

When I replaced my water pump, I didn't use a new gasket between it and the housing. Instead, I left the old gasket on and sealed it with 35 year old Permatex® Aviation Form-A-Gasket. (Yes, I've had this stuff for awhile!)

Might not be the recommended procedure, but it worked for me.

My 35 year old bottle does not look quite as clean as this one...

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I used the gasket and a product called "high tack sealant" from permatex. It is a product you brush on both surfaces and stick them together. This will seal up the small areas. You can also use the product mentioned above. You may have to take everything apart again to check for the problem. I would check the simple things like hoses/clamps first. Is there a reason you took of the housing?

J.
drebinpk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drebinpkSend a Private Message to drebinpkDirect Link to This Post
i took it off at the housing cause its about 8x easier to do it that way when you have stuck bolts on the pump

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock