Started on: 10-21-2009 02:56 PM
Replies: 27
Last post by: Carrluvr on 10-27-2009 06:57 AM
josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I tried to hook up my throttle cable the the TB of my 4.9 a while back. The cable was to long, so I thought maybe it had come out of the gas peddle arm. Checked today. The peddle end is fine. The 88 4 cyl cable in my coupe is about an inch to long. I am lookin for a sourch for the little round end for the cable. I have been to every Auto parts house in 20 miles, and my local Po-Dunk Ace Hardware store. The lady at the hardware store needs a job at a candy store in Houston. She doesn't have a clue about hardwware, any hardware at all. Probably married to the owners brother ort something like that!!!
Here is a shot of the 88's cable end

MulletproofMonk was telling me that the one he used had two metal round things on it, and the end one needed to be removed. The closest one to the outside end fit and worked correctly. Mine just had one, not two. I have an extra throttle cable , got it out and looked at it. It is the same as the one in my car now.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-21-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
You'll never find one. I've was looking for a year before I gave up.

I found a much simpler solution though. Take a hammer and tap the throttle cable bracket until the slack is out (towards drivers side). Don't go too far with it, you don't want the bracket to hold the cable too tight. I left about 1/16" just to be sure. This also leveled my gas pedal with the brake pedal for easier heel/toe shifting.

EDIT: Use the inner pully (closest to throttle body). Its metal and the cable clips further around it also taking out some of the slack. Make sure to do it with the ISC plunger out of the way.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 10-21-2009).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The last one I did using the stock 88 4cyl cable I just moved/fabricated the cable mount bracket in the proper position.

Another option would be to find some of these barrel clamps. This particular one has a brass housing with the threaded hole on one end and a wire hole through the center. Slide in the cable and tighten the screw and you have a barrel fitting in the necessary location. This one came with my aftermarket TV cable, but any automotive store or bicycle repair shops should have something similar.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-21-2009).]

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
fieroguru

That was exactly what I was looking for today. They all say that those are no longer sold. I will go to Huntsville tomorrow and see a real parts house there. They have one there. 35 miles each way, so I'll take the wife out to eat too!

If I can't locate on , could you snag me one, and mail it to me here?
Joe

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I tried everyone of those I could find. Not a single one was the right size. If you find a source let me know so I can shorten my cable about 16 inches.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Well I found them at A-Zone in the "Help" isle. ^ Assorted sizes. They were also to large,But I was thinking that I could just put it on the other end. Size would not matter at the gas pedle end.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-22-2009).]

Carrluvr

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrluvrSend a Private Message to CarrluvrDirect Link to This Post
Joe
THis is what I did
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...041015-2-052836.html
I added some post assembly(i think blue) loctite to make sure the nut doesn't come off. Works great!

[This message has been edited by Carrluvr (edited 10-21-2009).]

MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkDirect Link to This Post
So, I have to ask, why did the one I had have two cylinders on it? Was it because an option was deleted or is that just the way all the 87-88 4 cyl cables were?

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/094633.html

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2009 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Brian, I am not sure. I know that I have read that there was a difference between a cruise and a non cruise 87-88 throttle cable. Just can't remember where I read it here now.

What I am trying to find local is wire rope end stop. This is what is on the pedle end of the wire rope inside. If I can locate these, one can just remove the slack, and crimp on a new end:

I have located these at McMaster -Carr, but I don't need a box of 100 1/16"wire rope end stops. I am going to Loews tomorrow to see if they have something like this.

I have also found me a 6mm shoulder bolt. File a small flat, drill a 1/16" hole, cut to the proper length, insert the cable,and crimp on the throttle body end of the cable where I want it to go.

All of the brass pieces I got today from A-Zone are way to large for this purpose.
Joe

Edited to add:
A direct quote from Mickey_Moose's My 4.9 wiring thread right underneath the Speedo information on page one.
"Throttle cable:
the 88 Fiero 2.5l throttle cable (no cruise) is a direct bolt in - these are no longer available new, so you will have to find a used one or crimp an end to your original cable that will fit the 4.9 throttle body."

link:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/098096.html

Carrluvr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrluvrSend a Private Message to CarrluvrDirect Link to This Post
I got all my supplies for my throttle cable at Lowes. If your store doesn't have
them let me know and I'll stop and grab 4-5 and mail them to you. It was a total of a out
5 bucks.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm, the 88 cables that I have used worked with the stock bracket (had to drill another hole for the lock and do some filing to allow for the larger molded end, but the length was fine).

Now IIRC the cable that is pictured is the cable for use on cars with cruise control - not sure if the difference is in the length, I do know that the molded end is different than the ones I have used.

And as already meantioned, the Help section in auto parts stores or one of the large chain hardware stores should carry the barrel end. You may also try any place that carries aircraft cable and accessories.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 10-22-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Why not a bicycle shop or an old bicycle? I remember those ends being for bicycle brakes.

------------------
When life gives you lemons, thank them for the Fiero.

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Why not a bicycle shop or an old bicycle? I remember those ends being for bicycle brakes.

There are no bicycle shops here where I live. Next time I get in the big city I'll check on some of these. I don't need one just yet. Just trying to get my 'ducks in a row'
Joe

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2009 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

josef644

6939 posts
Member since Nov 2006

Originally posted by Carrluvr:

I got all my supplies for my throttle cable at Lowes. If your store doesn't have
them let me know and I'll stop and grab 4-5 and mail them to you. It was a total of a out
5 bucks.

We have a Lowe's here about 20 min's away. I am gonna go there this afternoon.

Just got back form Lowes/ they had the swege and end stops there for the 1/16" cable.

Can you post us a real good picture of the throttle body end of your cable?
Joe

josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Well I put all of my throttle cable stuff back on the car today and measured the slack. I was just a little less than 5/8" to much cable.
So
I took my spare cable to the Hardware store and got a bolt the same size as the fitting on the end of the cable:

I filed a flat on the bolts shoulder to center punch a hole on it for the drill bit to bite. I drilled 2 1/16" holes on the shoulder. I wanted to have a spare. Cut to the correct length.

Both throttle bores closed

Both wide open:

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-24-2009).]

Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

So did you get this from Lowes? If so do you know the size and/or part number? My local lowes doesn't have them. Neither does Home Depot, ACE, or the local only places. If you have the info I may be able to have them ordered in.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieroseverywhere:

So did you get this from Lowes? If so do you know the size and/or part number? My local lowes doesn't have them. Neither does Home Depot, ACE, or the local only places. If you have the info I may be able to have them ordered in.

No , the one on the left is the factory end, I had it next to the bolt to show it was the same size. I just filed a flat, drilled a hole, cut to off to fit, crimped it on the cable end with a pair of cutters and connected it to the throttle body arm.

I'll post a picture if the cable end I built and installed sometime this weekend.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-23-2009).]

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
GREAT! now clean that engine up nice like mine!!
rdean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdeanSend a Private Message to rdeanDirect Link to This Post
I turned one down on the lathe and drilled a hole in it just like you did but I wasn't sure a crimp would hold so I brazed the end.

Good Job

Ray
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Didn't think of that, but its a good thought. I will try to maybe stick some solder on it. I don't really want to pull this cable outta the car for brazzing.
sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 05:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
If you've got oxy-acetylene I'd silbraze it (safety silv 45 or the equivalent). If you take the barrel end loose and remove cable from bracket you should be able to tie it somewhere to make enough room to get a torch in there
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post

No , the one on the left is the factory end, I had it next to the bolt to show it was the same size. I just filed a flat, drilled a hole, cut to off to fit, crimped it on the cable end with a pair of cutters and connected it to the throttle body arm.

I'll post a picture if the cable end I built and installed sometime this weekend.

Hmmm. Mine didn't look anything like that. I didn't realize that was factory.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Ok here is the picture I promised yesterday. I have tape on it to try to hold it flat.You can see the factory one,next to it, that I had for an extra.

I have a large flat blade screwdriver with the handle missing. I went back and used it to finish up the staking. It is not gonna come off. I did both sides.

They do not appear to be the same length in the photp, but they are .

rdean

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rdeanSend a Private Message to rdeanDirect Link to This Post
Hurry up Joe!

55 MPH = 1850 RPM

You are going to have a blast when you drive it.

Ray
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Rdean I am a mower, and season is just about done for the year. I have to have $XXXX.XX in the bank for Xmas , 8 grand children and taxes due Jan. 2010. I am just about out of playing money. I am about $400.00 short of driving it the first time. Might just have to quit for the season when I finish up the harness and fuel pump. I want to hear it sing for me one time for me before I put it away for the rest of the year.

Carrluvr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrluvrSend a Private Message to CarrluvrDirect Link to This Post
Joe that seems like alot of cash. You already have
the engine in and mounted, exhaust? What else do you
have left. It's a great sound to hear it for the first
time. Keep up the great work.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I need a new waterpump housing $40.00, waterpump $50.00, oil pan gasket $28.00, exhaust built and welded up EST $150.00, new battery tray $39.00, Battery $65.00. Rear brakes are not hooked up, and I know that will need something before it is ready to go cause I ain't that lucky. Plus no telling what else. It adds up fast.

Edited to add:
I didn't even think about any of the AC converversion parts I will need to purchase later on. My car will have a working AC.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 10-25-2009).]

Carrluvr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2009 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrluvrSend a Private Message to CarrluvrDirect Link to This Post

I need a new waterpump housing $40.00, waterpump $50.00, oil pan gasket $28.00, exhaust built and welded up EST $150.00, new battery tray $39.00, Battery $65.00. Rear brakes are not hooked up, and I know that will need something before it is ready to go cause I ain't that lucky. Plus no telling what else. It adds up fast.

Edited to add:
I didn't even think about any of the AC converversion parts I will need to purchase later on. My car will have a working AC.

Yes it sure does add up. Over the winter I am going to change my exhaust a bit. I don't like how low it sits. I only have about 2 weeks left before the car gets put to bed for about six months. Its kind of funny I took my car to get inspected last week. The guy said hey last time this was inspected was 10/12/2007. I said yes its been undergoing an engine swap. He then said you've only driven 145 miles since then. I said yes I took it off the road 10/28/07.
Plan on driving it alot more now!!!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock