Replacing door glass- Advice request by sjmaye
Started on: 04-28-2009 05:09 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: sjmaye on 05-04-2009 07:00 AM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 05:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I got my new door glass and dew wipes for both sides and ready to go. I am going to replace glass, wipes, replace hinge bushings/pins, and lubricate as needed.

Basically this is a whole door restoration. I am interested in any of your advice (as always), but in particular I want to know if I should pull out the entire window guides and mechanism to get it cleaned really well.

Any advice?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 05:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
You shouldn't have to remove everything from the door, it would be a headache to line it all back up.

With the glass is out it isn't too hard to clean and re grease the tracks.

A good solvent is lacquer thinner, I use it on a rag for degreasing stuff as it cuts through old grease and grime and dries quickly without a residue.

If you need it I have links in my sig for inner door panel and outer door skin removal.

Steve

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

Some helpful links I've done
How to remove inner door panels, with pics.
How to remove outer door panels, with pics.
How to make rear coil-overs using factory struts, with pics.
How to remove rear bearing hubs, with pics.
How to modify the stock Fiero radio for MP3 players, with pics.
How to come up with the right coolant hoses for that engine swap...With Pics.
Basic Fiero electrical testing "How To" and equipment...with pics.

Rafe Zetter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rafe ZetterClick Here to visit Rafe Zetter's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rafe ZetterDirect Link to This Post
I replaced my door glass a few weeks ago, it was a total PITA

I found that I had to unfasten the vertical track where it is bolted near the top of the door and remove the brackets.

The glass has to slide in sideways from the bottom of the door then kind of twist it around, having the guide rails unfastened helps get the glass on track.

Also If you have the power windows hve a 12v battery on hand with a length of wire you can connect it to the motor and open/close the 'sissor' guides as required.
Nilknarf

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NilknarfSend a Private Message to NilknarfDirect Link to This Post
sjmaye,

Where did you get your glass from? Just checking for future reference as I have heard a lot of vendors don't carry the glass anymore.

Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Door glass is fairly easy to replace, just make sure you have some 1/4" bolts and nylock nuts to replace all the rivets you drill out. First remove the inner door panel rubber end seals, and inner window seals. You will need to "tap" out the center of the rivets on the two spool looking things and the track that is attached to the window. Roll the window up and down to find a place you can get to them with a pin punch and hammer. Then drill out what is left of the rivets. Take the window out the top, I think you lift the back out first, then slide it to the front of the door to get the front out. Reasseble using the 1/4" bolts, make sure they are shrt enough not to interfere with anything through the full range of travel.

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Seems reasonably straight forward. Thanks for the pointers

I got the glass from a large local glass supplier Jack Morris Glass in Nashville, but I think they are affiliated to Safelite Auto Glass. They did have a time finding it. The price was ~125 each + $60 shipping (a charge their suppliers charged them)

If you want to give them a try IM me and I can give you a contact name.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Door glass is fairly easy to replace, just make sure you have some 1/4" bolts and nylock nuts to replace all the rivets you drill out. First remove the inner door panel rubber end seals, and inner window seals. You will need to "tap" out the center of the rivets on the two spool looking things and the track that is attached to the window. Roll the window up and down to find a place you can get to them with a pin punch and hammer. Then drill out what is left of the rivets. Take the window out the top, I think you lift the back out first, then slide it to the front of the door to get the front out. Reasseble using the 1/4" bolts, make sure they are shrt enough not to interfere with anything through the full range of travel.

Just to add to what Mike said, do yourself a favor and use stainless bolts. No rust and will save a lot of headache should you need to take it apart later. I used stainless allen/panhead bolts with nylock nuts and some flat washers. Be careful when tightening the bolts down that hold the glass in the track and the stops to the glass - it's not hard to overtighten and explode the glass (don't ask how I know that). When I did mine, I removed everyhing from the door to clean and lube. I found that I had to replace a couple of the round slides. Before you take the bolts out of the track pieces, take an awl and scribe the outline of the bolt on the door. Makes putting it back together easy and then requires little or no adjustment.

Pat

Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2009 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
I will never change one again they are a pain in the ass. I'd rather pay a glass shop to do it.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all the advice and welcome more. I know I am going to do these myself. I want to go through the entire door. Make it solid, quiet, new glass, wipes, hinges... As close to new as possible. In the process I hope to become very adept at window install and adjustments .

Any comments on power window motors? The driver side window makes noises as it goes up and down. I have lubed as much as humanly possible, but it is still there. Sounds are like a clicking like improperly meshing gears. It all works, I just want it quiet and smooth. Is it possible there is something inside the window motor causing the noise?
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post

sjmaye

2468 posts
Member since Jun 2003
I exchanged a couple emails with the lady who found my door glass. She said she would be glad to help anyone who is having difficulty finding door glass for the Fieros. IM me and I willl get you her email address.
Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 08:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post
This is where I purchased my motors, and they still run great, I put these links up as there is a cheaper brand they offer that is not covered under warranty (junk ones for a quick fix) so make sure you get the good warranty ones linked below.

Single motor
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Wi...o/1AWPM00031/1064631

Pair
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Wi...o/1AWMK00003/1063708

Heres my build thread, lots of pics so if your on dial up dont click this... about 90% of the way down I have pics of P/S door glass installation, nothing fancy but it could help.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...3/HTML/000096-5.html
PFF
System Bot
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2009 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible the noises are from a worn out power window motor?
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2009 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I managed to get to work on this some. The door glass was easy. It probably helped that I took off both inner and outer door panels. I drove the rivets out first, then a 1/4" drill bit and it was out. No issues at all. Thanks for the tip.

I got the door hinges rebuilt and door skeleton back on the car. That's as far as I got. I will be reassembling this weekend.

I am currently working on the driver door. This is the one with a strange sound going up and down. I recorded it and will start a new post to see if someone could tell me what it is.

http://s12.photobucket.com/...current=MVI_4028.flv

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock