Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Clutchnet Clutches Who's used em. (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
Clutchnet Clutches Who's used em. by Capt Fiero
Started on: 04-15-2008 02:38 PM
Replies: 58
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 08-30-2009 09:51 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Ok so after blowing up a stock clutch on my 4.9, then upgrading to a Centerforce V8 clutch and exploding that, I decided to really do some searching, I talked to a clutch place in Alberta, I spoke to Spec, and about a half dozen other places. After hearing about the random failures of Spec I decided not to chance it with them. I will never install another Centerforce in my car ever again either.

On a tip from a local import car forum. I asked what the high power front drivers were using as clutches and was recommended to talk to Clutch Net in California. When I got them on the phone and spoke to the guys there I was pretty sure I was talking to my new clutch supplier. They did not just ask for my car and sent me an off the shelf unit. They wanted to know how I drove the car, what did I want out of the clutch, how much power I made now and how much I was going to be making later on. They asked the size of my disk, and a lot of questions that the normal places did not even seem to care about. They are building me a clutch kit to my specifications.

After about 30 Min's of talking to them, we decided on a 6 puck, sprung hub with a high clamping force pressure plate, and they are even supplying me with a throw-out bearing. Total cost was $425 USD shipped to a US address.

http://clutchnet.com/home.php

I don't have the clutch in my hands yet, as I am still waiting for it to arrive. But I wanted to ask if there were other people running this clutch and what they thought of it. I did a search on the forum and found one guy that is actually using it and said he loves it. However the post was nearly a year old. So can anyone comment on the Clutch Net Clutches? If you had not guessed it this is going on my 4.9 V8 5spd Isuzu combo.

------------------
85GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Factory Stock.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Capt, SO let me get this straight...

1. Install a tractor motor 4.9 caddy motor on the weak cheap Isuzu Tranny.

2. You have gone thru several clutches with this combo not being easy on it.

3. You have not had any Tranny Failures and you did not beef up the tranny in any way???

4. You are doing the impossible
I Like!!!
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Oh I wish that was true, LOL. First Isuzu out lasted the OEM style clutch, but then installed the Centerforce Clutch and 2 months later, blew the first Isuzu, installed 2nd Isuzu, that one lasted about 6 months, then I had to pull it due to a another blown 2nd gear. Installed 3rd one, and the 3rd Isuzu seemed to be doing alright, it came from a J-Body of some sort, then on an easy shift from 3rd to 2nd, the Centerforce clutch exploded, and took the J-Body Isuzu with it.

I am about to install the 4th Isuzu and the 3rd clutch into the setup.

I have got the swap down to a science, I can walk into the garage with a plastic tote fill it with all the tools I need, bring the Air Tools out, jack the car up, and do the entire trans swap in 4hrs.

I won't install a 3.65 4spd as the gearing sucks, I actually had the offer of a Getrag 5spd with cables and all for $100 and turned it down, because FieroChick has a Getrag 5spd on her SBC and I feel it revs too high as well. I won't do an Auto swap as I had automatics. About my only real options are a 6spd swap from Archie or get an Isuzu Cryo Treated, both cost a fairly large chunk of change. I am getting my Isuzu's for between free to $100 each. I could do nearly 20 changes for the price of a heavy duty trans axle. My real goal is to find a 3.32 4spd and put it into a 3.65 case and install that. I may have found one but it won't be a few months before I get it in my hands and start the building of it.

If you are a 4.9 hater, please don't read the next paragraph. I really don't want this to turn into another 4.9 battle thread.

As for my motor being a Tractor motor. I LOVE IT. There is something so cool about being at 800rpms, in 2nd gear, standing on the throttle and being pined into your seat or the back tires going up in smoke. If you short shift a 4.9 at 4500rpms it is really a quick setup. Its the guys that waste there time shifting a stock 4.9 at 5500 or 6000 that are getting the slower times.

------------------
85GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Factory Stock.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
How much torque is your 4.9 putting? Any dyno #s? I would like to hear experiences from other clutch manufacturers so please post pictures of the unit when it arrives and then how it works. I applaud you for trying new waters. I went with the unsprung 6 puck stage 4 Spec and is the best I have had up to now from the get-go. At least I know no springs will break. But only time will tell.

------------------

Red: TPI V8 + 6-Speed Yellow: Nitrous 3.4 + 4 speed Auto
304rwHP/366rwTQ

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Good luck with those "fuseable" second gear teeth

I have a clutchnet disk only. it is a carbon kevlar full face with a sprung hub 9-1/8". I have it in with a stock replacement pressure plate. My car is a 3.4 DOHC with a getrag. Figure 215 HP 215 ft-lb. I only have about 100 miles on it so far.

I was blown away about how fast the disk arrived. Out of the box, I was fairly impressed with the quality of construction. I was most impressed by the quality on the sprung hub assembly. There is a decent amount of metal caging the springs, and the rivets are well formed and appear quite strong. The disk itself might as well not have any marcel in it which would normally give the disk some compressability, which translates to engagment travel.

My impressions of it so far,
My clutch pedal is fairly light, seems the same as stock. No suprise there, I mean the pressure plate is stock. The engagment point is fairly high on the pedal, probably because the pressure plate barely has to move to release the disk all the way.
I don't want you to get the wrong idea, but my clutch is not yet broken in, so it slips in third fourth and fifth. I'm hoping a couple hundred miles will straighten the clutch out nicley. If it doesn't, I might get a little upset, but it is probably because the pressure plate is so light.

I think your disk will most likley not be comparable to mine by any means. Different friction material, different style clutch. But I think you will be happy with the quality of the disk itself.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Alex4mula:

How much torque is your 4.9 putting? Any dyno #s? I would like to hear experiences from other clutch manufacturers so please post pictures of the unit when it arrives and then how it works. I applaud you for trying new waters. I went with the unsprung 6 puck stage 4 Spec and is the best I have had up to now from the get-go. At least I know no springs will break. But only time will tell.

I have never dyno'ed it. So I can't say for sure. However with the chip I have, and the way my motor is setup to breath better than stock, due to the exhaust changes, and with the removal of all the extra Caddy accessories, I am estimating 320lbs at the flywheel. Stock my 93 Eldy motor is suppose to be 290 the chip is suppose to be worth 20lbs of torque over the stock Caddy tuning, and removal A/C Compressor and Power Steering, and ultra short exhaust should be worth about 10lbs. Again I have never dyno'ed it and I really don't know for sure. I just know it is an absolute ball to drive. With a small NOS shot on my 2.8 I ran a 14.6 in the quarter and this is a great deal faster.

Originally posted by Fierobsessed:

Good luck with those "fuseable" second gear teeth

I have a clutchnet disk only. it is a carbon kevlar full face with a sprung hub 9-1/8". I have it in with a stock replacement pressure plate. My car is a 3.4 DOHC with a Getrag. Figure 215 HP 215 ft-lb. I only have about 100 miles on it so far.

I was blown away about how fast the disk arrived. Out of the box, I was fairly impressed with the quality of construction. I was most impressed by the quality on the sprung hub assembly. There is a decent amount of metal caging the springs, and the rivets are well formed and appear quite strong. The disk itself might as well not have any marcel in it which would normally give the disk some compressibility, which translates to engagement travel.

My impressions of it so far,
My clutch pedal is fairly light, seems the same as stock. No surprise there, I mean the pressure plate is stock. The engagement point is fairly high on the pedal, probably because the pressure plate barely has to move to release the disk all the way.
I don't want you to get the wrong idea, but my clutch is not yet broken in, so it slips in third fourth and fifth. I'm hoping a couple hundred miles will straighten the clutch out nicely. If it doesn't, I might get a little upset, but it is probably because the pressure plate is so light.

I think your disk will most likely not be comparable to mine by any means. Different friction material, different style clutch. But I think you will be happy with the quality of the disk itself.

Well I ordered it on April 7th, at about 10am. I got confirmation that it was shipped on April 11th. With an estimated delivery date of April 16th. I was really hoping it would have arrived before the 13th as Lisa and I left Oregon on th 13 to head back to Canada. So now it has to get to Oregon, get re-boxed and shipped to Canada. I will post lots of pics when it gets here.

Here is the thread with the pics from the Centerforce Clutch. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088561.html

Here is one quick shot of the exploded Centerforce Hub. The 4.9 ripped the rivets and spat out the springs.

Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:
Oh I wish that was true, LOL. First Isuzu out lasted the OEM style clutch, but then installed the Centerforce Clutch and 2 months later, blew the first Isuzu, installed 2nd Isuzu, that one lasted about 6 months, then I had to pull it due to a another blown 2nd gear. Installed 3rd one, and the 3rd Isuzu seemed to be doing alright, it came from a J-Body of some sort, then on an easy shift from 3rd to 2nd, the Centerforce clutch exploded, and took the J-Body Isuzu with it.

DOH!!! Did not know that hehehe

I won't install a 3.65 4spd as the gearing sucks, I actually had the offer of a Getrag 5spd with cables and all for $100 and turned it down, because FieroChick has a Getrag 5spd on her SBC and I feel it revs too high as well. I won't do an Auto swap as I had automatics. About my only real options are a 6spd swap from Archie or get an Isuzu Cryo Treated, both cost a fairly large chunk of change. I am getting my Isuzu's for between free to $100 each. I could do nearly 20 changes for the price of a heavy duty trans axle. My real goal is to find a 3.32 4spd and put it into a 3.65 case and install that. I may have found one but it won't be a few months before I get it in my hands and start the building of it.

I have heard that 1st gear on the 6spd is just like the Isuzu, worthless I hate to say it but I will be going Auto with my next one.

As for my motor being a Tractor motor. I LOVE IT. There is something so cool about being at 800rpms, in 2nd gear, standing on the throttle and being pined into your seat or the back tires going up in smoke. If you short shift a 4.9 at 4500rpms it is really a quick setup. Its the guys that waste there time shifting a stock 4.9 at 5500 or 6000 that are getting the slower times.

The TORQUE IS TO DIE FOR!!!! I LOVED MINE!!!! Can't wait for my next one.

------------------

Matt Hawkins

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I have run nothing but Clutchnet six puck sprung hub discs with no trouble. I use a stock pressure plate from a $119 Autozone clutch set. I have not had any slipping issues and have gotten good life.

------------------
62 Buick Special
86 GT, 5-Speed
87 GT, 3.4l DOHC Turbo 415 WHP, 11.9 @ 118
88 Toyota Supra Turbo

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I went to their site and they have three pages of products Would be nice to know which part number exactly you are running.
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
I have installed a springed hub disc and one of their green pressure plates on my basically stock 2.8 5spd. I to was impressed with the quality of the material and prompt service. Clutch grabs great so far.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a picture of the Clutchnet pressure plate?
PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
They have pics on there website of the pressure plates.
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
Hi David,

I've used several of their clutches in different applications including my 3800SC motor that I had after leaving Squamish. They are very nice clutches, the best I've found. I did burnouts, and spirited driving with the 3800 and had no issues. It held under WOT with no slippage all with 312HP. The discs are very strong with extra rivets and a strengthend hub where the splines are inserted. The quality of the pressure plates are good as well, though mine was a custom made pressure plate with a double diaphram. Igor made it special for me as requested and that was his answer to clampload. It was hard to push but it served me very well.

I currently have a spec stage 3 clutch in my getrag with my N* performance build in my 88 T-top so I'll see how it compares. I expect the spec to fail as I have heard all the stories with failure. I will be putting in a clutch from Igor if that happens. Hope to test it up in Vancouver on a trip to Squamish and Maple Ridge over to see Erwin.

Sorry we didn't cross paths while you were in Aurora!

Best,

David K.
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post

IXSLR8

673 posts
Member since Sep 2004
Ooops. You can see pics of my clutchnet set-up in my photos folder on the supercharge fieros loop on yahoogroups:

http://autos.ph.groups.yaho...ew/4f9a?b=11&m=s&o=0
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post

IXSLR8

673 posts
Member since Sep 2004
The sprung discs that Igor is making now enclose the springs more compared to my pic in the last post.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
David I can't get into the pics, says I need to be a member of the group, I tired to become one but it needs a mod to approve it.

------------------

IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 02:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
How do you post pics on the thread here? Don't see any options in the reply area.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

They have pics on there website of the pressure plates.

No they don't. Look again. They are just generic pics. They use the same image for their whole catalog..

[This message has been edited by Steven Snyder (edited 04-16-2008).]

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

No they don't. Look again. They are just generic pics. They use the same image for their whole catalog..

I was there and although they use generic pics , the generic pics conform to the specific type clutch in the description ..I will call them tomorrow
Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 04:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
Clutchnet clutch # 67005Y19, vs stock replacment clutch. You can see the huge difference in the durability factor.
The stock clutch has 4 dinky springs and rivets, thin steel plating, vs 6 springs and rivets, 1/8" (IIRC) thick steel plate.

Same again, you can see the difference in the "Squishiness" of the pressure plate, and the relative hairyness of the carbon kevlar friction surface.

[This message has been edited by Fierobsessed (edited 04-16-2008).]

AP2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 04:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AP2kSend a Private Message to AP2kDirect Link to This Post
Nothing wrong with the stock clutch as long as you aren't exceeding its torque rating.

That ClutchNet disc looks like some great quality stuff, though.
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I am going with clutchnet based upon those pics but will make my final decision based on a phone convo tomorrow ..thanks Fierobsessed
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Here are the pics that I got from IXSLR8 in Oregon for his 3800SC 5spd 87GT

As soon as mine gets here I will take pics of it. It should be in Oregon today, and then will be drop shipped from my fathers place in Oregon up here to Canada. Probably going to take 1-2 weeks to make it from Oregon through Canada Customs and finally to my door.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 02-20-2009).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000
Deleted due to double post.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 04-16-2008).]

Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Clutchnet clutch # 67005Y19, vs stock replacment clutch. You can see the huge difference in the durability factor.
The stock clutch has 4 dinky springs and rivets, thin steel plating, vs 6 springs and rivets, 1/8" (IIRC) thick steel plate.

Same again, you can see the difference in the "Squishiness" of the pressure plate, and the relative hairyness of the carbon kevlar friction surface.

That's Clutchtex, it's not carbon kevlar. Those are kevlar fibers. (http://www.clutchmanufacturer.co.uk/theclutchtexstory.html). Very nice material. It has a ridiculously long service life, causes very little wear to the flywheel, and has no resins to flow when it heats up. It WILL slip when it gets too hot, but as long as you don't keep slipping it, it will cool down and grab fine again.

It's the exact same material SPEC uses on their Stage 2. If that is slipping with a stock pressure plate on your car, someting isn't right.. SPEC uses a later-style (like what is used on the 90's Cavaliers and Berettas) stock clamp-load pressure plate with that same material on that same disc size. I think they may have changed disc thicknesses for the later years (thinner) and that may be why SPEC uses that with the ClutchTex disc. Notice your ClutchTex disc is thinner than the stock one? That's likely why you're having slippage. The pressure plate diaphram should be getting compressed more.

Originally posted by Erik:

I was there and although they use generic pics , the generic pics conform to the specific type clutch in the description ..I will call them tomorrow

No, the pressure plate they show in the pics on the site is not even the same type as the Fiero uses. I want to see exactly what they are using. Every other Fiero clutch dealer uses a stock-style plate, but Clutchnet advertises different clamp loads, so they are either modifying them or making custom ones.

Looks like they have their own pressure plate. Excellent! I think I'll call these guys when I'm ready for a new clutch. A ClutchTex friction surface with a high clamp pressure plate would be very durable and long lasting.

Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

No, the pressure plate they show in the pics on the site is not even the same type as the Fiero uses. I want to see exactly what they are using. Every other Fiero clutch dealer uses a stock-style plate, but Clutchnet advertises different clamp loads, so they are either modifying them or making custom ones.

I was referring to the clutch disc ...

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post

That's Clutchtex, it's not carbon kevlar. Those are kevlar fibers.

Oops... I was typing while intoxicated. TWI

The disks are the same thickness. the pictures were taken at different distances. Im still thinking that the surfaces just needs time to work themselves in. I hope. Otherwise the engine comes out yet again. Not a big deal, just annoying.
Steven Snyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

Oops... I was typing while intoxicated. TWI

The disks are the same thickness. the pictures were taken at different distances. Im still thinking that the surfaces just needs time to work themselves in. I hope. Otherwise the engine comes out yet again. Not a big deal, just annoying.

Clutchtex doesn't wear in. It is non-abrasive toward steel and iron.. It's very different from normal clutch materials...
I put one on my 3.4 DOHC car and gave it WOT in every gear within 50 miles of first start; no slippage. Did you use a new stock plate or the old one from your old stock clutch? You must have a flat surface machined surface for it to work..

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the low quality pics. But it did arrive in Oregon today, I had my grandmother, remove it from the packaging, and photograph everything.

The pics were taken with one of those floppy disk cameras.

I bought an entire custom kit from them, pressure plate, 6 puck sprung hub disk and throwout bearing. Getting rid of all the centerforce junk that was in there.

------------------

Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Nice. Any PN# for the disk? Tks
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
what happened to the pretty blue springs?? different clutch??

PFF
System Bot
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I don't have the part number, if they have not re-boxed up the kit, I will call them and see if I can get the part number from the invoice.

When I called and talked to clutch net, there was no mention of a part number. We talked about specs and what I wanted and how much I wanted it to hold. I told him it was a 93 Caddy 4.9 V8 with a custom flywheel, in an 85 Fiero , using an 87 Isuzu 5spd. The clutch needed to match the size and specs of an 85-87 V6 however I needed the throwout bearing for an 87 4cly 5spd.

I explained that the motor made about 300lbs of torque, but I was planning on juicing it to about 425lbs of torque with a moderate nitrous shot.

He took all my info, and gave me a brief explanation of what he would build for me, and then gave me a price. That was it. No kit numbers, no part numbers. Just a simple, this is what I need it to hold and he said no problem, he would build what I needed and ship it out.

I was impressed by the no nonsense attitude they had. The only thing that kinda worries me is when I asked about warranty, he said 90 days for defects and after that I am kinda on my own. If it does not blow up in the first 3 months, then they rule out any chance of manufacturing defects. So in other words, I need to get this installed in the car, and drive the hell out of it for the first little while to make sure nothing is going to come apart.
Matt Hawkins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matt HawkinsSend a Private Message to Matt HawkinsDirect Link to This Post
I have had nothing but good experiences with their products and knowledge. You can't get a better clutch. Those six puck sprung hub discs have outstanding quality. The first time you pick it up you will say, "I will never buy from another vendor again."
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post
I also had a clutchnet clutch back with my old V6 nitrous engine. It hooked soo good that I broke my engine cradle on a launch at the drag strip. When I put my 4.9 in I used a Spec. When it's time for a new clutch I'll go back to clutchnet for sure. I never used one of their pressure plates, just the clutch disc. I used a Napa pressure plate, never had any slipping problems.
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
If you take a look closely at Captain Fiero's disc, you'll see he has the newer version that Clutchnet is sellling. With the pics that David Posted for me, you'll see that my disc has only partial spring lips/enclosure for each spring. The newer version is better I think. It's that way on all the discs I buy for my diesel samurai conversions too.

Please note that my pressure plate shown in the pics is not stock as it has two steel diaphrams on top of each other. It takes special revits to make that work and will take an extra 3 weeks or so for Clutchnet to order and get them in the pressure plate. So, just beware of the time frame. I'd do it again just for the clamp load. It pushes like a truck clutch though. If you do the double diaphram approach, you will also have to modify your throw on your clutch master to compensate for the extra compression on the clutch fluid. If I remember right, it took an extra 1/4 in length to push the slave to its proper location with the extra clamp load.
IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post

IXSLR8

673 posts
Member since Sep 2004
fieromaster, any problems with your spec clutch set-up?
FieroMaster88

Feedback score:    (43)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2008 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMaster88Send a Private Message to FieroMaster88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by IXSLR8:

fieromaster, any problems with your spec clutch set-up?

So far nope. It's got about 2K miles on it all behind my 4.9. I'm not that easy on it either. It holds good, good enough to kill 1 more isuzu.

------------------
88 Coupe: Modded 4.9L V8 5 speed
84 Coupe: 4 Cyl 5 speed
www.geocities.com/fast88fiero

IXSLR8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IXSLR8Send a Private Message to IXSLR8Direct Link to This Post
That's what I like to hear!
Erik

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I talked to Igor at Clutchnet and he told me to ask Spec if their stage 3 pressure plate was a stock clutch or if it had more clamping force before he could recommend a clutch for me. After all, I am going to use the stage 3 Spec pressure plate since I already have it. Does anybody know if the Stage 3 Spec Pressure plate is stock or not? I have been told it is a stock but haven't asked Spec if that is true or not.

I personally think the Clutchnet sprung clutch is heavier dutythan a Spec just by looking at the pictures
Igor also told me the Clutchnet sprung clutch is heavier duty than a Clutchnet solid hub clutch

The main downfall IMO is the heavier weight the sprung clutch is to a solid hub because I am building towards a high rpm, fast revving setup
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2008 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Sorry I don't have the part number, if they have not re-boxed up the kit, I will call them and see if I can get the part number from the invoice.

I understand. I just would like to know to look it up in their disc catalog and see where it falls as they have so many choices. Thanks.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock