BIG BLOCK CHEVY IN FIERO by engine man
Started on: 12-31-2007 03:33 PM
Replies: 87
Last post by: fieroboy_gt on 08-25-2009 07:46 PM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 03:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ok I want to Know if any one has put a big block chevy longitude in the back of a fiero using a olds toronado trans from the 70s or early 80s the only thing i would do is try to do what is done for circle track and get rid of the torque converter and make it kinda like a manual automatic
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
yes and no, It has been done but the Fiero was turned in a 50-60s cigar style indy racer. It is Vegas and was done by an old guy a couple of years ago. And no the engine bay(or the whole car) was not even close to stock after.
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
There's this:

http://www.fierocountry.us/tracy.html

http://www.fierocountry.us/tracy2.html

There's a video of it running somewhere too, I don't seem to have it bookmarked.
WAWUZAT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WAWUZATSend a Private Message to WAWUZATDirect Link to This Post
Dave Ferncliff put a 455 Rocket in the back of his with a TH325 transaxle. Used it for 1/8-mile drags. It was the purple Fiero at the last FOA event held in Williamsburg, VA.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2007 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
That car is cool I am wondering how it handles I wnet to tci and they have the drive for the pump and drive that replaces the torque converter just gota valve it to releas the line pressuer I have built a few of them there prety cool

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-31-2007).]

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 06:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Does it have to be a big block?

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ok opm2000 what trany did you use th 325 or th 425 and where did you get a adaptor for the chevy bolt pattern and did you do any thing special to the trany
flames4me

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
Im surprised nobody has mensioned 'John Miller' or 'Big Block Fiero' both are members here and you can do a search for their names on this forum and you will find a bunch of info on their swaps. granted BBF has a 500ci caddi motor instead of a chevy but its still really interesting reading their posts.

------------------
1986 Silver 5 speed Fiero 3.4 DOHC
Bored .30, Fully balanced and blueprinted
13.93@101mph as it is on the street. PFF's fastest N/A 3.4dohc!!!!
FOR SALE - MAKE OFFER!
... ... !
355cid 400hp/tq N/A SBC, 4 bolt main
Nitrous Oxide: 1st stage - 125shot direct port. 2nd stage - 75shot plate.
87 GT, Cryo Treated 5-speed Getrag, Gr8grip LSD, Spec Stage 3 clutch.

flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post

flames4me

915 posts
Member since Jun 2005
Im surprised nobody has mensioned 'John Miller' or 'Big Block Fiero' both are members here and you can do a search for their names on this forum and you will find a bunch of info on their swaps. granted BBF has a 500ci caddi motor instead of a chevy but its still really interesting reading their posts.

------------------
FOR SALE - MAKE OFFER!
... ... !

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info it seems that some times you cant get any info but then again i cant seem to make up my mind on what to do
brian99

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brian99Send a Private Message to brian99Direct Link to This Post
This posting give a great amount of detail about Big Block Fiero installations:
Look at this link: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/062869.html
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2008 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link it helps
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Hi I was wondering they talk about revers rotation on the trany is this so the bell housing and back of the engine will be against the fire wall and is this done for better wight placement
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

Hi I was wondering they talk about revers rotation on the trany is this so the bell housing and back of the engine will be against the fire wall and is this done for better wight placement

Yes, Yes.

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
1 how do the make it revers rotation is it just a matter of fliping the ring gear
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
I looked into flipping the ring gear, but the differential with the 325 is oddly shaped and doesn't support this, as I recall. I think the 325 would be the choice for rotating the differential by means of a thin adapter plate, since it has a rather long splined shaft which connects the diff & trans, allowing some slack room for the adpter. The same shaft in the 425 diff is much too short. Street dreams sells such a plate, if you wanted to try it. I think they also sell the engine/trans adapter plates as well.

I'm using a thm325. I think I got my adapter plate from either Jegs or Speedway. They are relatively inexpensive. I'm using a B&M torque convertor with a 2000 rpm stall speed.

If you are successfull in rotating the differential, there are a few minor side issues to deal with, such as venting and internal fluid passages from the trans itself, but these are not insurmountable.

In case your interested in any of this, I'll pm you a link you may find interesting.

David Breeze
ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:

I think the 325 would be the choice for rotating the differential by means of a thin adapter plate,
If you are successfull in rotating the differential, there are a few minor side issues to deal with, such as venting and internal fluid passages from the trans itself, but these are not insurmountable.

In case your interested in any of this, I'll pm you a link you may find interesting.

David Breeze

Thin plate??? no way,if u want to watch the axles start flipping around a helicopter.My adapter is 12mm thick (just under 1/2 inch)

Reason why i did this way for the 5 bolts to have anuff meat to bite in to and hold for the power apply'd..Yeah and the other problems r really very small..just make sure u have some good drill bits,
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm sounds like it could be done on the 425 but you need to have a longer shaft made to do it and the 325 it can be done with out to much problem this is good to know thanks guys
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Ducattiman,
I agree about the thickness issue. I believe the plate by streetdreams is @ 1/4". I had emailed asking specifics about their plate, but never got an answer. Things like "has it ever been used or is it just something you made up...what engine/trans specifically has it been fitted to ?". I'd like some solid background info before buying into their plate.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
the street dreams is 1/4 thick steel i went and looked it was $99 for it and TCI makes trany adaptor for $59 so you can do it get the big block in there like a 421 supper duty pontiac just think a pontiac engine in a pontiac what a thought

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-02-2008).]

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
Hey David,u get my message,
PFF
System Bot
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Ducattiman,
Yes, I did. And I appreciate your taking the time to look for that part. I'm baffeled that I can't get it from a Dealership, and that I have spent literally hours looking thru stacks of axles at junkyards, and looking thru parts bins at parts houses.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I'd like to add to this discussion. If you guys do decide to go with a Th-425, there is a SPECIAL version of the Th-425 (as well as the Th-400 and Th-350) that came out around 67. I could be off a couple of years, but I know for a fact it was available in 67. It might be available in the late 50s as well, not sure.. but I know 67 definitely. Anyway, it's call the "Switch Pitch" transmission. It's otherwise a stock Th-350,400,425 or whatever, but it has a special torque converter with "flaps" that are hydraulically controlled. The flaps change pitch, which in turn alters the stall speed of the torque converter. There are a few components that make up the switch pitch... there's a modified valve body, a modified pump, a special torque converter (they sell new ones as well) and the special adaptor plug that screws into the same socket that the electric kick-down goes.

Basically, there would be a switch at the bottom of the gas pedal. When you floored it, it would engage this and the transmission would change the pitch from say 1800rpms to a 3200rpm stall. I might be off slightly on the specific rpms, but it's a GREAT way to have a real streetable muscle car.

I'm planning on doing this when I finish building out my 81 Trans Am. I'll have a "performance" switch of sorts.

I hit the switch and:

1 - The shaker flap opens.
2 - The exhaust cut-outs electronically open
3 - The higher stall on my Th-400 switch pitch engages

BADASS!!!

Anyway, the Buicks, Oldsmobiles and high-end Pontiacs were available with the Switch Pitch. I know that almost all Oldsmobile Toronados (at least the Trafeo model) in 67 came with this feature.

The only way to tell the difference externally is to run the numbers, or look at the electric kick-down switch (on the side). If there are two spades, then it's a switch pitch (one for the kick-down, and one for the switch pitch).

Hope that makes your project just that much cooler!

Here's an old add from back in the day:

------------------
Todd,
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2004 Volkswagen Beetle Convertible (Wife's Car)
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6 (3.2) 5-Speed
1984 Porsche 944 5-Speed
1981 Pontiac TransAm (Olds 455BB)
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
there just put some parts for sale i wont need
Russ Fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2008 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Russ FieroSend a Private Message to Russ FieroDirect Link to This Post
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

How about tranverse.

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Hey Russ! Glad you decided to join and post after lurking for years!

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 01-03-2008).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Russ that is a great looking job it looks like a lot of time went into geting that in there transvers what trany did you use I know that I will be sticking with the toronado trans i feel it will go in the car easyer
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Ok i wrote to TCI they said that the THM 325 & 350 THM do not have the same internals like clutches but maybe he was just telling me what his computer screen said so is like a THM 350 or is it like a THM 200 pleas tell if you know
flames4me

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2008 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for flames4meSend a Private Message to flames4meDirect Link to This Post
looks like a clean swap there Russ, with the custom tube cradle and retaining a stock fiero trans, but Im wondering why you chose the izuzu 5-speed?? thats one of the weaker trannys that came in fieros. is it shorter then the others so it can fit betweeen the frame rails? I can only imagine how much cutting and custom work you had to do the the pass side frame to get the extra iron to fit in there. good craftsmanship Russ, Im impressed with those pics!

------------------
FOR SALE - MAKE OFFER!
... ... !

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ok now for another question how much better is the handeling betwen a fiero with a standard rotation THM 425 and a revers rotation THM 425 I am wondering if it is worth the time or money for the handling improvment
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
I can't speak to the handling of a reverse rototion setup. Honestly, Cardealer has produced the only reversed setup I've seen actual evidence of. There are a very few others on this list who are working on such a setup, and hopefully they can add something. BTW, Cardealers reverse was based on a custom set of gears which replaced the drivechain, and his car's mission was that of a dragster. It apparently worked fine as such, but I wonder how it performed as a street car? I think he may have produced and sold a few extra sets of his gears, and again, it would be interesting to hear from someone who had a set.

If you've determined to go with a non-reversed setup, I think your original question would be "which trans is best, the 425, 325, or 325-4x ? The 425 is going to be heaviest by @ 50 #s, offers the best ability to handle copius hp & torque, offers the switch-pitch option, and is limited to X? number of final drive ratios. The 325-4x is going to be lighter, offer an overdrive or 4th gear, and has a reputation of being the weakest of the three. The 325 is in the middle of all this, is a three speed, and the differentials of the 325 & 325-4x can be interchanged, thereby increasing the final drive rations available.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ok well then the 325 is like a thm 350 right becaus I contacted TCI and the guy said there not the same. the torque converter from a THM 350 would not work
opm2000

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Did you get the pm I sent you?

It has the torqueconverter you will need.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ya i got the pm and it saying one thing but then i right to tci and they said another on the 325 but that dosent supprise me due to the guy at tci might only know what comes up on his computer

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 01-04-2008).]

v8fiero400

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for v8fiero400Click Here to visit v8fiero400's HomePageSend a Private Message to v8fiero400Direct Link to This Post
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Looks nice v8fiero400 what engine 427 454 have you had it at the drag strip and whats it run what trany is in it
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
Why are not more guys puting engines in longitudely with the THM 425 or 325 for automatics it seems to be the easyer and cheaper pluse the THM 425 will handle a big blocks power due to thats what was used infront of it not trying to make some 4 or 6 cyl trany hold up to a V8 power or torque
RichLo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2008 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLoSend a Private Message to RichLoDirect Link to This Post
correct me if Im wrong but I dont think that picture was of v8fiero400's car, I believe one of the original transverse sbc engine swap creators built that car with a 396 a while ago... Zumalt or Archie.

------------------
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
418ci SBC dual stage Nitrous injected
built 5-speed getrag

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:
Why are not more guys puting engines in longitudely with the THM 425 or 325 for automatics it seems to be the easyer and cheaper pluse the THM 425 will handle a big blocks power due to thats what was used infront of it not trying to make some 4 or 6 cyl trany hold up to a V8 power or torque

My guess is the person has to want to use that setup, be willing to give up their trunk, and be willing to accept an automatic. So far there have only been a handful to do it. Documented information about weight balance, impact on performance, 1/4 mile times, time between failures, time since install, miles on swap in the fiero, etc. is still quite sketchy at this point. For more people to jump on this, there needs to be more swaps done with full disclosure to prove the real (not perceived) benefits of this swap.

For me (and I spent a year researching this setup and had a caddillac 425 engine/425 tranny/axles, etc on the shelf) the issue is the loss of trunk space. I drive my fieros alot and every year or so go on a 2500 to 3000 round trip, so there must be room for me to store stuff. If I were to build an all out drag car, then most certainly a longitudinal 425 setup would foot the bill. However, cost being no object, I would prefer a manual configuration a lot more!
motoracer838

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for motoracer838Send a Private Message to motoracer838Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RichLo:

correct me if Im wrong but I dont think that picture was of v8fiero400's car, I believe one of the original transverse sbc engine swap creators built that car with a 396 a while ago... Zumalt or Archie.

Yeah, that was Zumwalt's car from the late 80's, it ran a th125 for the trans.

Joe
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock