3800sc motors by i151
Started on: 12-10-2008 02:38 AM
Replies: 57
Last post by: i151 on 12-15-2008 02:40 AM
i151

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
hey i have a 3800 with a gtp intake a supercharger on it aka top swap i assume.

my goal is about 300 rwhp..im new to these engines, i come from the world of imports..

could this be done on factory internals?
and what is good mod list idea

oh and it also has a getrag 5spd...whats your guys' thoughts on that with the hp range im lookin for.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 03:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
sounds good to me
Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
Search *
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Good 4" intake, 2.5" dual exhaust and a pulley drop might just get you there with the higher compression

SCAN SCAN SCAN

Head on over to clubgp.com

Great place for 3800 info bro

Don't shoot for numbers IMO, shoot for times. 300whp in a Fiero is alot faster than 300whp in a GTP
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
well then my goal would be mid 11s or better. without going crazy with mods..
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
won't make it there with the 5-sp.
oh and yes crazy mods will be needed. start saving your $

------------------

88 GT, 3800SC, Getrag 5sp. 12" Vette Rotors,Custom stuff done

Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post12-10-2008 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
300whp is easy. Search for GTP dyno's on youtube. Cam, pulley, tune... <300whp.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
With the 5 speed Getrag you can be putting down 600 HP but you are only going to be able to use about 250 of that cause of the transmisson you are using. If you want big HP that you can use without haveing to worry about your trans then you better get the 65e-HD. But besides the trans being an issue if you want 300 HP then:

XP Cam
Springs
IC
2.8 Pulley
Upgraded TB
P/P Blower

or

Stock motor w/ 150 shot of juice

or

Snatch off the SC or use block off plate and go Turbo.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

With the 5 speed Getrag you can be putting down 600 HP but you are only going to be able to use about 250 of that cause of the transmisson you are using. If you want big HP that you can use without haveing to worry about your trans then you better get the 65e-HD. But besides the trans being an issue if you want 300 HP then:

XP Cam
Springs
IC
2.8 Pulley
Upgraded TB
P/P Blower

or

Stock motor w/ 150 shot of juice

or

Snatch off the SC or use block off plate and go Turbo.

He's gunna get around 20?whp more with just the top swap

That list is a bit excessive. You can get 300whp with a 3.0 and xp with no ic on a SC block

Port heads, Colder plugs, colder stat, big intake, big exhaust, and a 3.4 or a bit smaller is my guess

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 12-10-2008).]

mrjohnishome

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrjohnishomeSend a Private Message to mrjohnishomeDirect Link to This Post
i151,
I live in huntington, so if you need any help, you can hit me up. I would be glad to help you out with your swap. I go to school, but my grandparents live in Ashland. PM me if you wanna get together. I would love to check out your car!
Nick
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

He's gunna get around 20?whp more with just the top swap

That list is a bit excessive. You can get 300whp with a 3.0 and xp with no ic on a SC block

Port heads, Colder plugs, colder stat, big intake, big exhaust, and a 3.4 or a bit smaller is my guess

That is if you have a tuner and know how to tune. There are many that can't run a 3.0 pulley with XP cam with no IC. It all dedpends on tune, where you live, ect. Plus you also have to take it how you want when people claim 300HP with little MODs--Are they full of it, have they even been to the dyno, ect. He is asking for advice and I gave him my opinion on the subject.
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
A 2.8 on a top swap is just downright stupid, way more than he'll ever need

3.4 on a top swap is around as much boost as you'll get with a 3.0 on a sc block

Remember this is a Fiero, not a GP
Dementia

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DementiaSend a Private Message to DementiaDirect Link to This Post
Ohio86se has a series II with a 3.4 pulley and stock exhaust. He posted his dyno here on the forum from his run at summit racing. It was 232 whp. Thats some of the only real proof I've seen on here. Its going to take some good mods to get 300whp.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
3.4 is basically a 3.8 on an n/a block

Stock GTPs get about 190whp, so with Ohio's swap exhaust, intake, and 3.4 he gained about 40whp

This is about where he'll be with a 3.8 pully

Colder plugs and tstat, free flowing everything, maybe rockers, less loss through the getrag, drop 3.8 to 3.4 and a fairly good tune and he'll be around 300whp

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I expected my 3.2 pulley 1.9 rockers, stock everything else 5speed to be putting down 300ish. it went 12.5's@109 driving the living hell out of it (the run before the diff jumped out of the trans) 1.71 60'. Manual transmissions boost WHP TONS.

11's? good luck. Get a decent valvetrain, 1 of the 2-3 decent manual trans tuners in the world (I dont usually tune people, zzp hasnt every tuned a manual trans setup before but I think they could manage some power out of one given enough time and money, PRJ and some cavi guys in canada are the only people that have made power out of manual trans setups), and pulley down with a whole ton of nitrous, pray and launch a 1.8 60' without the trans exploding, and you can go 11's.

You need at least 400whp to go 11's, but luckily its easy to make on a 3800 and that manual trans is a dream to tune for someone that knows what they are doing.
PURPLE REIGN

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 303
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PURPLE REIGNSend a Private Message to PURPLE REIGNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by i151:

hey i have a 3800 with a gtp intake a supercharger on it aka top swap i assume.

my goal is about 300 rwhp..im new to these engines, i come from the world of imports..

could this be done on factory internals?
and what is good mod list idea

oh and it also has a getrag 5spd...whats your guys' thoughts on that with the hp range im lookin for.

Keep in mind if that is a 3800 N/A your going to need to swap the heads to, cause the injection is different.

Your going to need what's in the signature below to achieve 11's which is an extensive mod list.

------------------

MINNESOTA MAFIA Real men get blown If you're going to run your mouth make sure the proof isn't all over the net that you're full of sh!t.
87 GT MP-112 powered, 3800 Supercharged on 19's 372 rwhp & tuning____88 GT T-top 1 of very few, 000,138.4 miles
87 GT custom______90 Grand prix STE Turbo_____2000 R-1 Race prepped
Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD, Ya want to hit it, but are afraid of the consequences.
IF YOU AIN'T BREAKING STUFF..................IT AIN'T MODDED ENOUGH
If your'e not living on the edge..........you're taking up too much room.
Best Fiero mounts available

engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I just went and tried to see what you would run with 300 whp but to run in the 11s it looks like 350 whp would get you there that is a 2900 lb car and driver with perfect gearing set up for drag racing used this site
http://robrobinette.com/et.htm
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
sorry, but calculators cant possibly comprehend how useless the gear ratios and the strength of a getrag is.
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrjohnishome:

i151,
I live in huntington, so if you need any help, you can hit me up. I would be glad to help you out with your swap. I go to school, but my grandparents live in Ashland. PM me if you wanna get together. I would love to check out your car!
Nick

yea man that'd be cool. the car was built (swapped) in barboursville, so u may even know the guy who did it.

as far as tuning goes theres a guy around here thats an AAA++ tuner when it comes to GM..probably one of the best ever, ive seen him get amazing numbers out of cars. its what he does for a living.

maybe i should look for a gtp motor and sit it on a stand and start a project build?....

but for this motor im thinking
cam
valvetrain
pulley ( no idea on size)
p/p blower
and some sort of exhaust, not real sure about that yet.
and the i/c u guys are talkin about. u talking about the heat exhanger that goes under the blower?? or what?. and where would the cooler for the heat exchanger go..

oh and whats the deal on the getrag. from what im learnin it either cant hold the power or makes a big power loss to the wheels. and if i did convert to a auto HD tranny how much more of a power loss would that b?

and im gona have to hand it to u guys. u all respond fast and come buy the hand fulls....thanks alot! when i had my eclipse there were specail forums for it and no one would even give u the time of day hardly. so my props to u guys. u all are gona make this soo much easier. and probably make me end up spending more money lol

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

yea man that'd be cool. the car was built (swapped) in barboursville, so u may even know the guy who did it.

as far as tuning goes theres a guy around here thats an AAA++ tuner when it comes to GM..probably one of the best ever, ive seen him get amazing numbers out of cars. its what he does for a living.

maybe i should look for a gtp motor and sit it on a stand and start a project build?....

cam
valvetrain
p/p blower
and the i/c u guys are talkin about. u talking about the heat exhanger that goes under the blower?? or what?. and where would the cooler for the heat exchanger go..

oh and whats the deal on the getrag. from what im learnin it either cant hold the power or makes a big power loss to the wheels. and if i did convert to a auto HD tranny how much more of a power loss would that b?

and im gona have to hand it to u guys. u all respond fast and come buy the hand fulls....thanks alot! when i had my eclipse there were specail forums for it and no one would even give u the time of day hardly. so my props to u guys. u all are gona make this soo much easier. and probably make me end up spending more money lol

Dsmtalk.com is fantastic along with dsmtuners.com

On the cam, just go big and forget the valvetrain if you do it

Smaller pulley = more boost

You don't really need to port the blower before IC but it does help a bit, perhaps a bit more with your motors CR

Ya, the intercooler goes between the blower and the intake manifold. The heat exchanger goes up front behind the front fascia, it is water cooled so it doesn't matter how far it travels, it'll stay cool(er)

The getrag has a low parasitic loss, around 10% compared to the 25ish with the 4t65e-hd or gtp auto. But it won't hold for very long at the power or times you are shooting for
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm i dont see where i even said anything about what trany just said what HP it would take with the Perfect gearing
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
Here's some things to consider:
Cold air intake with high flow filter usually frees up 5-10hp compared to the restrictive stock setup
Most swaps include new headers to replace the old, restrictive headers... 5-10hp
Fieros don't have power steering compared to the car that engine came off of... P/S delete should be 10-20hp
A smaller supercharger pulley should increase the boost...
Intercooler will decrease boost temperature
A good tune...
MSD ignition and good spark plugs...

If you have the series 3 motor, you're probably at 300... series 2... maybe

[This message has been edited by Rolling Thunder (edited 12-10-2008).]

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

Here's some things to consider:
Cold air intake with high flow filter usually frees up 5-10hp compared to the restrictive stock setup
Most swaps include new headers to replace the old, restrictive headers... 5-10hp
Fieros don't have power steering compared to the car that engine came off of... P/S delete should be 10-20hp
A smaller supercharger pulley should increase the boost...
Intercooler will decrease boost temperature
A good tune...
MSD ignition and good spark plugs...

If you have the series 3 motor, you're probably at 300... series 2... maybe

Noone would use msd over stock ignition and you repeated info that was already said but with less substance and accuracy lol

Replacement exhaust manifolds and whosajiggawha?

Just poking fun

Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
I saw a lot of rambling... I just supplied the cliff notes version... plus a few... such as the power steering delete
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
i shoulda been more specific..the car already has no ac and no powersteering, other than that. all stock.

k maybe to make it easier we can go like money ranges..

1st time around i'd like to spend about 500-1000$.
2nd time will probably be just the heatexhanger since those are a fortune (unless im lookin in the wrong place)
3rd would be a spare motor build (internals for sure maybe headwork) and then swap the go-fast-parts on it. and put this "topswapped" motor on the stand as a back up.

and then probably sometype of trans swap or upgrade wheneever this one decides its done
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

cam
valvetrain
p/p blower

The idea of getting another motor to build up is a good idea and with that motor put it on a 65E.

For the motor you have now and what you are looking to get out of it:

XP Cam
105 Springs
P/P Blower
3 inch Mandrel exhaust
4 inch Intake
Full size IC
Pulley--Depends on what MODs you go with--
Good scanner--This will help determine what pulley you can run
Good Tune

If you swapped to the 65E you might loose a little HP to the ground but will be able to use all the HP that the MODs put out.

MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

i shoulda been more specific..the car already has no ac and no powersteering, other than that. all stock.

2nd time will probably be just the heatexhanger since those are a fortune (unless im lookin in the wrong place)
3rd would be a spare motor build (internals for sure maybe headwork) and then swap the go-fast-parts on it. and put this "topswapped" motor on the stand as a back up.

and then probably sometype of trans swap or upgrade wheneever this one decides its done

Spend money the first go around on 3 inch mandrel exhuast, 4 inch intake, 1.9 rockers, Full size IC, P/P SC case--The 1.9 rockers, P/P SC case and IC can be had for cheaper over on CGP. Have money on hand and watch for deals to pop up on what you need.

When you get another motor--Get a low mileage motor and you will not have to worry with it except doing the head work like you mentioned.

i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2008 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
so the l67 bottom ends are stout?
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

VERY--They are good up to 600 HP--There are 8 second Grand Prix running on stock bottom ends.
i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
He just answered lol

Yes they are quite stout

You in no way need to change anything in the bottom end ever lol
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post

If your goal is 300rwhp, you got it very easily. No A/C or P/S should free up 20-40hp. The intake and exhaust work you should do should supply another 10 or so hp. A tune should get you a few more... you don't need to do heads and intercooler to make 300rwhp. If you end up short of 300, get a smaller sc pulley.

i151

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 02:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for i151Send a Private Message to i151Direct Link to This Post
for some reason i think it posted that twice...lol i def didnt make the same post after he said that. you guys are really helpfull. and i know that everyone probably wishes that i would just search all this instead of posting. but i get on here at work, ( my pcs done-for) and i just have about enough time to post and reply. so thanks everyone.

and on the heat exchangers, can anyone give me advice or insite on runnin the lines since they are going to be so long?..and will the pump work efficent enough?..
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Nvm yo

[This message has been edited by RideZiLightning (edited 12-11-2008).]

RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post

RideZiLightning

1540 posts
Member since Jul 2006

for some reason i think it posted that twice...lol i def didnt make the same post after he said that. you guys are really helpfull. and i know that everyone probably wishes that i would just search all this instead of posting. but i get on here at work, ( my pcs done-for) and i just have about enough time to post and reply. so thanks everyone.

and on the heat exchangers, can anyone give me advice or insite on runnin the lines since they are going to be so long?..and will the pump work efficent enough?..

It's cool, just more threads to find when people do search lol

Just run the lines along the coolant tubes underneath the car

The pump will be just fine, they have been used over and over by many different people, no worries yo
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MstangsBware:

With the 5 speed Getrag you can be putting down 600 HP but you are only going to be able to use about 250 of that cause of the transmisson you are using. If you want big HP that you can use without haveing to worry about your trans then you better get the 65e-HD.

I totally agree with this but everyone keeps referring to too much HP for the 5spd. I know that horsepower and torque go hand in hand but I would think that the Torque is what you would need to worry more about. I could be wrong.

Steve
Kekipi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KekipiSend a Private Message to KekipiDirect Link to This Post

3.4 is basically a 3.8 on an n/a block

Stock GTPs get about 190whp, so with Ohio's swap exhaust, intake, and 3.4 he gained about 40whp

This is about where he'll be with a 3.8 pully

Colder plugs and tstat, free flowing everything, maybe rockers, less loss through the getrag, drop 3.8 to 3.4 and a fairly good tune and he'll be around 300whp

A 3.8 and 3.3 is a 90 degree motor like a 5.7. the 2.8, 3.4 is a 60 or 70 degree design.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
You are right, the more horsepower you have, the faster you can go with a manual without breaking it. It just takes 800whp to go 10's with a manual, and the same car with a auto could go 8's.

IMO the only way to make use of a manual anymore is with a turbo... Your reliability goes up decently due to the fact that it takes more effort to produce violent torque than a SC.

I personally think that blower porting and IC's and all that is a waste of time anymore... I would go un intercooled gen5 if I was to ever do anything with a m90.... Intercooling is the biggest waste of time for newbie 3800 people, 9/10 times I have only seen it decrease horsepower.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rolling Thunder:

If your goal is 300rwhp, you got it very easily. No A/C or P/S should free up 20-40hp. The intake and exhaust work you should do should supply another 10 or so hp. A tune should get you a few more... you don't need to do heads and intercooler to make 300rwhp. If you end up short of 300, get a smaller sc pulley.

Please do alot more reading on here and CGP before giving any more advice on the 3800SC.
MstangsBware

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2008 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

MstangsBware

11509 posts
Member since Mar 2002

It's cool, just more threads to find when people do search lol

Just run the lines along the coolant tubes underneath the car

The pump will be just fine, they have been used over and over by many different people, no worries yo

What he said--I run the VW radiator that ZZP used to offer with there full size IC kit. When you start buying parts for your IC kit, spend the extra and get the GM/Lightning pump.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock