Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  U-Haul says "no" to using a tow dolly?!! (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
U-Haul says "no" to using a tow dolly?!! by joeveto
Started on: 10-31-2008 04:49 PM
Replies: 40
Last post by: cerulean on 11-05-2008 07:58 PM
joeveto

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I'm somewhat new to the forum. Just bought a Fiero. I'll go into that in another post at another time.

I did use the search function.

At any rate, U-Haul is only allowing me to use a full on car hauler as opposed to a tow dolly to tow my 88 Fiero Base Coupe. They say the car is too low to trailer with a dolly.

Is this true? I was really planning on the dolly instead of the hauler.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

------------------
Spend my days with a woman unkind Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
G-Man

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for G-ManSend a Private Message to G-ManDirect Link to This Post
I was also told that by UHaul. Oddly enough, it was also by a UHaul in Chicago. It's a conspiracy j/k

I think the short wheelbase also factors in when trying to use a dolly. You could always lie and tell them you're towing something bigger, like a Camaro. I'm not sure what they would say if you had an accident and the report said you had a vehicle on there that wasn't approved.

How far are do you need to move the car? I ended up just renting the full trailer and towing it from west Chicago to Indy. Worked just fine.

Gary
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
I say, who are they to tell you what you can or can not put on a dolly! Do you have to travel a short distance or long distance to pick it up?

I have pulled a stock 86 on a Uhaul dolly - no problems. Measure the cars clearance and the dolly and go from there. Damn UHaul Nazi's....lol
GOT2B GM

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GOT2B GMSend a Private Message to GOT2B GMDirect Link to This Post
Just tell them you are towing a Cavalier with a 2500 pickup
joeveto

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joevetoSend a Private Message to joevetoDirect Link to This Post
Yes! Damn them U-Haul Nazis!

I'm towing from St Louis to Chicago. I think it's 299 miles. I have lots of tow experience, and I've used the haulers before. I just like the idea of the dolly.

So you think I should say it's a Grand Am? Or is that not cool enough?
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post

I say, who are they to tell you what you can or can not put on a dolly!

They are the owners of that dolly you want to tow your car with and they can refuse to rent to you if they want to. They also are liable if their dolly is involved in an accident caused by you towing a car they told you not to tow on the dolly. If you must use a dolly, make sure you tow the Fiero backwards, so that most of the weight is on the dolly. You should also have the steering wheel locked in the straight position and tied up to keep it there. They also don't want you to sue them for damages, caused to your car, for improper towing.
Use a flat bed or a full length trailer to have your Fiero towed, if you don't want to risk any damages to it.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 10-31-2008).]

Chicken McNizzle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

They are the owners of that dolly you want to tow your car with and they can refuse to rent to you if they want to. They also are liable if their dolly is involved in an accident caused by you towing a car they told you not to tow on the dolly. If you must use a dolly, make sure you tow the Fiero backwards, so that most of the weight is on the dolly. You should also have the steering wheel locked in the straight position and tied up to keep it there. They also don't want you to sue them for damages, caused to your car, for improper towing.
Use a flat bed to have your Fiero towed, if you don't want to risk any damages to it.

Having worked at a U Haul this is pretty much verbatum in the hook up guide. Also, the Fiero IS too low, and quite possibly they are afraid someone will tow the Fiero IN GEAR. Also, nothing with an exposed cab ( Jeep Wrangler, K5 Blazer, FJ90 ) cannot tow due to liability issues, as well as nothing named "Explorer", several U-Haul customers perished while using U Haul equipment during the tire blow out crisis.

That is all.

------------------
Recanizin' Flat-Buns Since 2001

Eric Nelson
Internet Sales Manager
Power Ford Valencia
nelsone@autonation.com

spark1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 175
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spark1Send a Private Message to spark1Direct Link to This Post
The 88 Fiero is too low to go on the U-Haul trailer too. Had to remove the air dam to keep from tearing it up going on and off the ramps.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I towed both my 88's (SBC GT and 1 coupe) from IL to KY with a U haul dolly. Just told them I was pulling a cavalier and it worked just fine.
Fierostarvin

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierostarvinSend a Private Message to FierostarvinDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't you just swap the front tires side to side and load it on a dolly backwards?
pswayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pswayneSend a Private Message to pswayneDirect Link to This Post
Buy a tow dolly off ebay.
PFF
System Bot
Chicken McNizzle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chicken McNizzleClick Here to visit Chicken McNizzle's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chicken McNizzleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I towed both my 88's (SBC GT and 1 coupe) from IL to KY with a U haul dolly. Just told them I was pulling a cavalier and it worked just fine.

And should anything have happened to your Tow Dolly while the Fiero was in transit, what then?
85duke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85dukeSend a Private Message to 85dukeDirect Link to This Post
My dropped 85 went onto the trailer just fine. wouldn't even think about a dolly. Towed with a 2001 dodge dakota 4x4 v-8 quad cab loved that truck.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanDirect Link to This Post
Used a tow dolly to pull Fiero #2 (or 3?) ('85 GT with all aero parts intact) from Chicago to central Indiana. Not a problem. Back of the car on the dolly, seat belt around the steering wheel and don't try to back up. As others have said, tell UHaul that you want to tow a Cavalier. You don't need a large tow vehicle either. My Fiero was pulled using a minivan with a 3800. Be careful when navigating large dips in the road and or inclined driveways as you take the chance of ripping off precious body parts.
fffttt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 07:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fffttt1Send a Private Message to fffttt1Direct Link to This Post
I've towed a 5spd frontwards, and an automatic backwards. Both trips were both over 5hrs. driving and I was running 70 - 75mph and didn't even know the dolly/car was back there. The only issue I had w/U-Haul was that they wouldn't let me rent the dolly to tow behind my '96 Explorer or '02 Explorer. I picked up the dolly w/friends PU Truck then used the Explore to tow. Know anybody that has a motorhome? They usually have a dolly for their car. If you do use a dolly.......ensure that the tires on the pavement are GOOD TIRES!!!
I got a flat on one of the rolling tires going 70mph. Didn't even know it was flat until somebody passing me waved me down. I pulled over and the Fiero's left rear had totally shredded leaving nothing but the two tire beads on the rim. The rim was ok, but the shredding tire tore up the inner fender well, rear wiring harness, left side ground effects, and rear left corner of the rear bumper cover. It sucked!!!!
Good luck, Ray.
JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
I have towed both an '86 and an '88 with their tow dolly with no problems at all. The only think they told me was it had to be towed forwards and I had to drop the driveshaft,so I said I would drop it as soon as I found it. Never found that driveshaft so I pulled it backwards.
Again, never had a problem.

Steve
celticsam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for celticsamSend a Private Message to celticsamDirect Link to This Post
I own a car dolly similar to U-haul's. Loaded on level ground, the car will hit the swivel plate that the tires sit in. Either use a few 2' 2x4's, or set the dolly just down an incline...like, say, a driveway. You only need an inch...maybe less.

Neil
86fierofun

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 86fierofunSend a Private Message to 86fierofunDirect Link to This Post
I've dollied my 86 twice with a retired U-haul tow dolly. Both times it was a 65 mile trip. I had no clearance issues. I have a manual trans, so I pulled it forwards.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Ive towed all kinds of cars all over the US on my tow dolly. I towed my GT40 here from St Louis. Bottom floor pan was 2 1/2 inches from ground, lots of front overhang. Floor drug over speed bumps driving it. No problems. I towed all my Fieros all over the place with no problems. You have to tow an automatic Fiero with the rear on the dolly, sticks can tow either way. I use it to deliver Corvettes, Porsches, and Ferraris after Ive repaired them. Never had any damage of any kind.

With UHaul, just lie. Anyone who does much old car moving should buy a used one. You can find older used ones for less than $500. Only problem Ive ever had was with the Lambo Diablo kit. I was going to haul it up to Dales in Mansfield for some trans work and it was too wide to fit between my dollys fenders. Cost me $400 to pay a rollback.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 40+ years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Approved

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
There's nothing in the world wrong with towing a Fiero on a tow dolly. Back it on, make sure the wheels are straight and go. You DO have to set the column lock (remove the key and move the wheel one way or the other until it locks), but the column lock is ALL you need to do to keep the wheels from turning.
BluEyes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluEyesSend a Private Message to BluEyesDirect Link to This Post
I brought my Fiero home on a U-haul dolly. Told them I was towing a Pontiac 6000.

Backed the Fiero on, straightened the wheels and removed the key to lock the steering column (it would swing around on corners and rough pavement with the column unlocked). No troubles and no air dam scraping that I could tell. Made it home 20mi behind my Caddy no troubles.

------------------
'88 Formula. 2800/automatic

The rest of the garage:
'92 LeBaron sedan: 3.0V6/5sp
'77 Camaro: 350/4sp
'71 Fiat Spider: 1800/5sp
'71 Mercedes 220D: 2.2L/4sp
'70 DeVille: 472ci/TH400
'62 DeVille: 390ci/Hydramatic Jetaway

PFF
System Bot
Khw

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 134
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KhwSend a Private Message to KhwDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BluEyes:

I brought my Fiero home on a U-haul dolly. Told them I was towing a Pontiac 6000.

Same, but said it was a 81 Volkswagon Rabbit.
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
Yep, you hafta lie to U-Haul. If you wanna tow with a small pickup, you hafta get the dolly with a fullsize, then drive out of their sight before switching pickups.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Yup. Friend of my has a "salvaged" U-haul dolly. (Tongue was bent. He shortened it a few inches and installed a new hitch.)
I've used it to tow my (and other peoples') Fieros all over hell's half acre with no trouble at all.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 11-01-2008).]

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

You DO have to set the column lock (remove the key and move the wheel one way or the other until it locks), but the column lock is ALL you need to do to keep the wheels from turning.

In 99.99% of the time, that's correct but why not just be extra safe and tie off the steering wheel to be sure. While you're probably perfectly safe, I wouldn't trust that someone has worked on the column or it's integrity until you have a chance to inspect it and become familar with it. I had issues with the lock plate after the neighborhood mechanical shop installed a steering rack, that's why I'm advocating an extra step, that's all.
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by spark1:

The 88 Fiero is too low to go on the U-Haul trailer too. Had to remove the air dam to keep from tearing it up going on and off the ramps.

ive towed my fiero twice, never had a problem. its lowered too

[This message has been edited by Jrgicehc (edited 11-01-2008).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
back when my brother owned my fiero (last year) we towed it to the apartments on a borrowed trailer with his TB. not too good of an idea, but it worked. and then one other time on a uhual trailor.

UHUAL-ASS
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

SOMEONES TRAILER

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 11-01-2008).]

Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post
Bellingham Washington to Oklahoma on a Uhaul tow dolly. Told them it was a precious Yugo I was restoring. Used the 2x4 trick for clearance (to get the Fiero up on the dolly) with front wheels on the dolly. No problems.
Edit: Picked up the dolly with Dad's big Nissan Titan. Towed the Fiero all the way with a loaded out 96 Ford Taurus. (Which towed a trailer at least twice the weight of Fiero on the dolly from Fairbanks, AK to Bellingham, WA the previous year. We still drive the Taurus daily.

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 11-01-2008).]

dratts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2008 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for drattsSend a Private Message to drattsDirect Link to This Post
just towed my N* 355 fiero from San Francisco to Spokane 1050 miles with a converted boat trailer and a 3800 minivan. It labored up hills but otherwise was perfect.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I've towed many a Fiero but always rented a full size U-Haul trailer. I owned an old F-150 at the time that had a class 3 hitch so it was no problem.However, those U-Haul car trailers weigh in at about 2000 lbs so you carry lots of weight back there and it can make for a bumpy trip. . Now I've got a 4 cyl Jeep pickup and don't tow anything. Although it has 4:10 gears and a strong hitch I an a bit afraid to try towing anything with it.

------------------
87GT - 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
87GT - 3.4L Turbocharged engine, modified TH125H
" I'M ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Raydar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

back when my brother owned my fiero (last year) we towed it to the apartments on a borrowed trailer with his TB. not too good of an idea, but it worked.

Which one was not too good of an idea? The TrailBlazer? Or the borrowed trailer?

I find our TB to be an excellent tow vehicle.
(Have never used it for a Fiero, but it has no trouble with a 16' Haulmark with a thousand lbs. of dog agility equipment inside it.)
PFF
System Bot
coxguy1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2008 05:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coxguy1Send a Private Message to coxguy1Direct Link to This Post
I used a U-haul car trailer when I towed mine, and it is a lot more safer than the dolly. I used my 2001 Dodge 2500 W/ V10 engine and it pulled it just fine.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Which one was not too good of an idea? The TrailBlazer? Or the borrowed trailer?

I find our TB to be an excellent tow vehicle.
(Have never used it for a Fiero, but it has no trouble with a 16' Haulmark with a thousand lbs. of dog agility equipment inside it.)

not too great to tow a fiero. he said it had like no power. it was the 4.2 I6 tho

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I also used my dolly for years with a 3800 powered Lumina APV, Not the greatest on hills or long grades, but worked out fine. With my new Magnum with the Hemi, no problem at all for power. I delivered my Corvette to St Louis with it set on cruise at 75.

I always still strap the steering wheel, even with key off and locked. Dont take much to break the pin off. I dont want to take a chance with a $100K Porsche flying off the side of the road.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
The only thing about using a tow dolly is that sometimes the ramps will rub the underside of the car and rip on the ground effects. That said, I've towed notches and aero notches with no problem.
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 04:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post
I use my own dolly once in a while to tow Fieros, not sure why UHaul has a problem with them but I've never had any issues. But, I do agree that if you lie to UHaul about the vehicle being towed and have a problem, you have in effect opened yourself up to a law suit from whoever is involved and UHaul will be on their side.

Ron
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
You would have to check your personal insurance. My cars all cover my dolly and it covers any of MY cars on it. Other peoples cars are covered under their own policy. When the dolly is not attached to the car, regardless of where it is, its covered under my homeowner policy.
unboundmo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2008 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unboundmoSend a Private Message to unboundmoDirect Link to This Post
I towed my Fiero behind my 4x4 Ranger 4.0L. I towed it backwards so I would put miles on the car. I went from Waterford, Michigan to Sunny California with no problem.....

--------

Backing up in reverse is a different story. It's not like a boat either.
Bremertonfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2008 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BremertonfieroSend a Private Message to BremertonfieroDirect Link to This Post
e towed my fiero home on a front wheel dolly on the front wheels with it out of gear (the fronts were on the dolly rears were not) we didnt tow it far it was in a 150 longbed 1989 with and I6
Turbowedge

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2008 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TurbowedgeSend a Private Message to TurbowedgeDirect Link to This Post
Been there with U-Haul as well. I told them II was towing a 1987 Buick Regal and they didn't bat an eye. But do puul it with the rear on the dolly and watch how high your hitch is so you don't rip the front air dam off the car. I pulled on like that for over 110 miles at about 70-80 mph on the interstate with no worries. U-Haul doesn't want to be resposable for damage to your car, that is why they are like that.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock