Is it worth the time to rebuild a 3.1? by Deathblooms89
Started on: 10-14-2008 05:59 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: PaulJK on 10-15-2008 10:44 PM
Deathblooms89

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathblooms89Send a Private Message to Deathblooms89Direct Link to This Post
My best friend gave me the 3.1 out of his '92 cutlass supreme s I know it needs to be re-ringed and new gaskets I priced the kit at autozone and they say the kit is 280 I wanted to know if it is worth it to do the job or should I just spring the money for a new motor?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
It all depends on the funds available and what you want out of the engine. If you want the learning experience on engine rebuilding go for it. If you just want to get a good engine, get a new one. The rebuild kit you say is $280 plus your time and the other costs with getting the old engine in shape for the rebuild. A new engine may be ~$1000 or so.
Deathblooms89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathblooms89Send a Private Message to Deathblooms89Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the input. I am kinda limited on funds and wanted to do it without breaking a grand. I thought the rebuild would also give me something to do during the winter since I wont be driving it during the winter. I will definitely look around and see what kinda motors I can get with limited funds
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
If you had the skills to rebuild the 3.1l it may be worth it to you over a stock replacment. If you reinstalled it with the 7730 conversion and DIS it would run better than the 2.8l, be lighter and you gain 15 tq. over the stock 2.8. The 3.1l is also better for boost and can later be changed to a 3x00. With all these things comes $ however and you could proably do a 3800sc swap for the cost of a boosted 3x00 hybrid motor.
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2008 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
To bad I dint still live in NH i would help you out but you can do it its not that hard just take your time and clean every thing over and over you cant get it cean enough
Deathblooms89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathblooms89Send a Private Message to Deathblooms89Direct Link to This Post
Thank you everybody for all the input. I think I am just gonna take the plunge and rebuild it and leave the 3.1 without any mods for the time being. But I will definitely keep my eye out for any cheaper alternatives. Thanks again for all your help
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
If it needs rings it more than likely could use a valve job too and rod and main bearings. I would also replace the water pump since it is cheep and easy to do with the engine out. Would not be a bad idea to tank the block and heads.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I agree, you need to re-work the valves if you do new rings. You also need to have a real careful look at your crank bearings. Particularly the sleeve bearings but also the mains.

No good doing rings if those are worn. Is it the iron head 3.1? If so, when you have the valves out, you might as else port those puppies. Also check the timing chain for tightness.

When you start to do part of an engine, you will stress the parts you haven't done when it is running again. Particularly if you raise the compression. So at least lapping the valves is necessary.

Hope this helps.

Arn
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
and - I do think the 92 cutless 3.1 is a alum head motor - so - are you converting it to iron head or swapping to alum head? this is a important Q to answer for yourself.
Deathblooms89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathblooms89Send a Private Message to Deathblooms89Direct Link to This Post
I am just gonna leave the same heads I do believe it has aluminum heads I will definitely rework the heads and do a valve job I was already planning to do bearings as well. Thank you all for the advice.
Pyrthian

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the alum head setup does require much more work. and fabrication.
PFF
System Bot
Deathblooms89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathblooms89Send a Private Message to Deathblooms89Direct Link to This Post
Ok thank you. I will do some more research to make sure they are aluminum heads
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
It the intake says 3.1l multi port F.I it is an aluminum head motor. The changes you need to do to make it easier to install are either make a new front mount or use the 87-88 fiero timing cover, oil pan and accessories so it uses the stock fiero mounts. Then youll have to do the 7730 ecm swap to keep the DIS thats on that motor. The coolant lines are very easy but youll have to find a way to do your exhaust and other some other minor things.
Deathblooms89

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Deathblooms89Send a Private Message to Deathblooms89Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mtownfiero:

It the intake says 3.1l multi port F.I it is an aluminum head motor. The changes you need to do to make it easier to install are either make a new front mount or use the 87-88 fiero timing cover, oil pan and accessories so it uses the stock fiero mounts. Then youll have to do the 7730 ecm swap to keep the DIS thats on that motor. The coolant lines are very easy but youll have to find a way to do your exhaust and other some other minor things.

Yeah the intake does say 3.1 multi port. Thank you for the heads up I am also now considering putting a 3800 in as well not quite sure yet.
Thanks again to everyone who has been kind enough to lend some assistance on this.
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
The first thing to do is Plan evrything and make an estimate of your costs. You might need custom engine mounts, etc. depending on which swap you do. Here's a good place to start for all the info you need and more - EIGHT HUNDRED forty-six threads on engine swaps (before you start another one)

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 10-15-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock