Shifter thing by Dizzixx
Started on: 11-26-2007 01:21 AM
Replies: 45
Last post by: Nosferatu187 on 12-11-2008 01:23 PM
Dizzixx

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
talk about really frustrating. Just when everything is finally starting to come together something else has to go and break. I am begining to think that the fiero god hates me.

So I was driving to my girlfriends from the grocery store when it decided it only wanted to be in 3rd and 4th. I grannygeared it the rest of the way. and when I got to her house I inspected the assembly and everything was fine there. so I then checked where the cables connect to the tranny and it would appear that the piece that connects the selector cable to the arm sticking out of the tranny is missing the peice that connects it to the rubber grommet thing and moves it in and out. If anyone could post a picture or give me an idea of what to do. I have been looking on websites and I cant seem to find a replacement. I am not even sure thats whats wrong.

Grrr.... Damned Fiero!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Morning bump
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like your selector cable needs replacing. IIRC, you need to replace the whole cable, not just the broken end. Which transmission is it?
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Its the Isuzu 5 spd. Yeah thats what I though. But I really dont think it is the cable. I will double check later today as it was dark and cold last night so I spend little time investigating. But at the transmission end the bracket just slopped around and before it reqiured effort. After a little more investigating I found I could move the arm itself in and out and it required the appropriate amount of effort, also I could see bother where the bracket should be (IE - where the rubber grommet on the arm is that the braket seats to allowing it to pull the arm up and down) and where it should mount to the rest of the bracket (IE - A small hole that looks as of something was recently mounted through it, it was shiny as if metal to metal contact had been there whereas the rest was worn)

I would really appreciate it if someone could post a decent pic of the Isuzu 5spd shifting mechanism at the transmission end. I think this could held alleviate confusion.
GT86

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86Send a Private Message to GT86Direct Link to This Post
Buddycraigg's second post in this thread has two pics of the cables, does that help?

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/063783.html
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
let's make it a little easier

can you point out what is missing in this pic?
i'm wondering if it just popped off of the ball. the sockets get worn out and wont stay on sometimes.
rodney sells a repair fitting if that's your problem.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post

Circled in the blue is where it looks like something is missing. But you cant see it in the picture as the shift bracket is hiding it. Circled in yellow is the rubber grommet I was talking about that should have something pulling up and down on it to allow you to select. In the picture though it looks as if either the bracket rests on it paralell to the cables in the picture or you just cant see all of it. Seems as if I will need to definately take a closer look when I get done with work and school today. If its just the selector cable that has broken, it would be a pain in the arse financially but at least it will be up and running again, that and the cable came from the donor car and were of unknown qaulity and of unknown age.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
i thought the select arm had fingers, much like the clutch release fork, that fit in to grooves on the shift shaft.
and i donk know of any brackets there.
here's another pic

[This message has been edited by buddycraigg (edited 11-26-2007).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2007 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Yeah no, still cant see. Even if it has fingers, they are missing, and they would have to bolt to the bracket to be missing. At least thats the conclusion that I draw. I will take a picture when I get to the car. I will also disconnect the cable and see if it is in peices within the sheeth just to rule that out %100.

http://files-upload.com/fil...6/84-88PartsBook.pdf

That is a link to a parts book that covers 84-88 cars, I honestly dont remeber where I got it but credit to them.

If you look under group 4, 85-88 5 Speed manual transaxle / shifter parts (MT2) (Isuzu)
I think the stock RWD version for the fiero uses part 4 in the diagram but I think mine is different.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
I checked when I went home and the cable is not broken. But the bracket is missing a peice. There is something that is supposed to bolt on and act as the fingers that slide the arm up and down. it is missing. I would have taken picture but when I got to it, it was too dark to take a picture that would allow you to see anything.

I have an idea for a temporary fix and would like some input.

This is what I want to use something like this from home depot.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post

Dizzixx

1470 posts
Member since Oct 2005
To the best of my knowledge I have a isuzu 5spd from a cavalier as it has a dipstick tube that sticks up on the side. I was reading other forums that reference the isuzu and thats the conclusion I have come too. I was wondering if anyone with a 5spd Isuzu that has a dipstick could post a picture of the shifter brackets and tell me where theres came from. That way when I go to the pick n' pull I know what to look for.

PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
this is my isuzu, its from a cavalier, right now its out of the car, if i can, i will take more pictures.

looks like one side of the metal brace has a Lever action that lifts/lowers the bar on the tranny to change from the 1/2 3/4 and 5/R positions

matthew
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2007 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Thank you Thank you

Could you possibly post another picture of the other side. Specifically the bracket that is the selector cable. Simillar too the second picture but other angles. I looked at it again and I dont know if my original idea will work given the tight confines. I could draw up a braket to be fabbed but dont feel like going through the trouble if I could find it off a cavalier. Do you know what year cavalier? Does anyone know what years the cavalier came with the isuzu 5spd as an option?

Whats on the other side of the circled part how does it connect?

[This message has been edited by Dizzixx (edited 11-27-2007).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 06:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
http://www.rodneydickman.co...CableRepairKits.html

Is this what you are looking for?

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
No. The connection between the cable and the mount is fine. Its the connection between the mount and the arm. The piece that allows it to apply the force in a up and down direction in reference to the arm sticking out of the transmission. I called Aamco and they said I should go junk diving at a wrecking yard as they dont have anything. So I called the dealer and they said they would be able to let me look at there parts system and find what I was looking for but the likelihood of them having it wasnt very good. I also spent an hour in the snow walking up and down the road that the piece fell off on but i think it is simply gone...
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
No. The Select armature on the transmission has a small "finger" that sticks out of the metal armature and into the groove on the Select shaft.

When you move the shifter in the car left, it pushes in on the select cable, which pushes DOWN on the Select arm when viewed from the top of the transmission. This in turn pivots on the pin, and causes the finger to push UP against the select shaft which slides in and out of the transmission. When you move the shifter to the RIGHT (Third/Fourth and Fifth/Reverse), it pulls the cable, which pulls up on the arm, which causes the arm to push DOWN on the select shaft.

The finger is broken off, or the select armature that the cable hooks to is bent and that finger is not fitting into the Select shaft groove, thus not allowing the Select arm on the tranmission to move the select shaft in or out of the transmission.

You are, effectively stuck in 2 gears.

Carefully pull the pivot pin for that arm, and remove it. See if the finger is broken off, or if it broke on the very end.

I have seen both the finger break off, and I have seen the arm crack at the end and lose the entire end of the piece with the finger.

[This message has been edited by Synthesis (edited 11-28-2007).]

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
There is no piece with the finger as described. So I am going to assume that is what is missing. Would you happen to have a picture of what it should look like? Also when I go to the junkyard what do I need to get. Do I have to pull the whole mount assem or just the pin and arm with the finger?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
You should only need to pull the pin and the arm with the finger.

I don't have a picture for you. The pin can be difficult to pull, so be patient and don't get aggressive unless you absolutely have to.

Since you will have it apart that far, order Rodney's bushing/pin kit for the Isuzu Select Arm. I have to order one for myself as well.

A pre-emptive strike on bushing wear will benefit you in the long run.

I would also suggest having a shop sandblast the bracket for you, and then you can re-prime and paint it...

Sandblasting will verify there are no cracks in the metal, clean it up, and allow you to make it look nice and last.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I appreciate your knowledge on the subject. One more thing, is it the same on all Isuzu 5spds that are compatible? The fact that it looks like mine probably came from a cavalier, is that going to make a difference? If it does make a difference what other FWD cars used the Isuzu 5spd with a dipstick tube on the outside? So I know all the cars I might need to look at?

BTW + for your help.

[This message has been edited by Dizzixx (edited 11-28-2007).]

Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the plus...

As far as I know, most if not all of the Isuzu 5 speeds had nearly identical brackets.

Look at the Parts Interchange manual online. It lists all of the vehicles that shared the same types of transmissions, any differences in them, and what needed to be done to make them fit the Fiero.

I would assume by looking at the Isuzu information that since the only change was that the shift arm needed to be rotated 180 degrees that the bracket would be nearly identical.

http://www.fierosails.com/TransMan.html
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
I suppose that is a long enough list that I should be able to find something. Given that the piece is missing I dont remember exactly what it looks like. What tools should I need to do this? I am assuming I can do (allthough it will be more difficult) from above with the trans/engine in the car.
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
Actually, doing it from above is going to be the easiest for you.
You will need to pull the nut on the back of the cable ball mount, and remove that from the bracket. A pair of needle nose pliers to pull the hair clip pin on the end of the pivot pin.

Don't lose the washers and stuff. Grab the pin when you grab the bracket. You may need it if you lose the other one.

A small screwdriver to pry the pin out, a hammer, and a socket/wrench set to remove the shift cable bracket mount so you can move the cables out of the way.

All in all, expect no more than 30 minutes at the high end of the spectrum if everything comes out easily. If not, then pull the entire shift/select bracket assembly off of the transmission and pull the pin in a garage on a bench vise.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Looks like I will go junk diving soon then. Thanks again for your help. And thanks to everyone else that contributed as well.
I will try and post some pictures for anyone that is interested when I get a chance.
fierodeletre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
You know the same exact thing happened to my X girlfriend's 85 2m4. I had the good fortune of finding the part I needed in a junkyard in Logan, which no longer exists. That yard had like 8 fieros lined up in a row, all with great parts, and a few 88s too. sigh. Yeah, it's such a stupid little part to have to find and replace, but it is an easy job to replace once you've got it in hand.

------------------
1984 Fiero SE, White, first love, sold...
1986 Fiero SE 2M6, gold, sold... sniff...
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox
1987 Fiero GT, Blue, 3.4/4T40
Still looking for that perfect CJB 88 GT...

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I have yet to find a single fiero at any of the salt lake junkyards. Probably due to the fact that I only frequent the bigger ones. I am glad to know that I am not crazy and this isnt just god smiting me or something. Annoying all the same.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I know right where one is sitting, in a Fiero. About 2 hours from me, and easy to get my hands on. If you have trouble, let me know, and I can pull it for the cost of the gas and the part.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I would appreciate that in the worst case scenario.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post

Dizzixx

1470 posts
Member since Oct 2005
hmmm..... I hate to even ask but what would your 4hour trip cost? I went to a junkyard and couldnt find much. I found an 88 baretta and I think a cavalier but they both had the FWD brackets. so they use the unused bracket to the right of the one we use for fieros. I got one it was only like a dollar and easy to remove but after thinking about it It wont work as putting it on the other side will cause it to mirror. Which means it would work but be backwards, with 1/2 in place of 5/R.

M0sh_man What year cavalier did yours come from and did it come with the right brackets?

Does anyone else know what I am talking about?
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
I understand exactly what you are talking about.

Let me dig, it should not be a whole lot. Gas out there and back should be about 20 bucks, and the part should not be more than 5-10. I can probably get it and ship to you for 25-30. That may seem like a lot, but I don't know of any immediate more local sources to lower the price...

Let me do some research first and see what I can find.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
yeah hold off and see if I cant find the part from a different car that uses the same bracket with the isuzu transmission.
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2007 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Dude there's got to be someone in the mall with a bunch of junked isuzus and parts and stuff. I'd do some sniffing in there too.

------------------
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox

PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierodeletre:

Dude there's got to be someone in the mall with a bunch of junked isuzus and parts and stuff. I'd do some sniffing in there too.

Yup, that is where I am doing the digging LOL.

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
I posted in the mall. So far nothing, but we will see.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/040245.html
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Fellas,
I had the same da#n thing happen to me. GRRR!! Do we have a link and/or a picture of the missing part? I hope someone on the Forum has done this fix before and can show us how to do this fix. Pictures are so helpful.

Respectfully,
Kevin J. Sullivan
fierodeletre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodeletreSend a Private Message to fierodeletreDirect Link to This Post
Kev,
It's not so much the fix as it is finding the part that is difficult. Once you have it in hand, it's really a wham bam thank you ma'am job. Dave, did you try searching for isuzu in there? Maybe someone's selling the tranny or even just HAS a tranny that's attached to a duke or something, then PM him to see if he has the part you need. I think the term for the part is Select bracket finger, but then again maybe I'm high.

------------------
1988 Fiero 2M4, the Fox

Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I did look in the mall. I dont want to ruin a perfectly good tranny by jacking the bracket thereby incapacitating a car. I posted a WTB for the bracket and also linked it to here. I called at least 20 pick n' pull yards today and very few have cars that even could potentially have the bracket. Those that do have cars cant tell me whether or not they are manual or auto. I may make a run out to a yard this weekend but its way out west. I went to a yard a found cars that ran the Isuzu 5spd but they had mounts for a horizontal cable system rather then the verticle one that we use in fieros ( IE running them over the engin and having them come down from above)

I also tried calling the fiero farm and some of the other vendors listed with PFF, after no success there I sent out a mass email to all the vendors I thought would either have a parts car/damaged donor tranny or know where to get one. And asked for help.

Kevin I assume your car is still down? Out of curiosity did it just fall off on its own randomly or was there something that led up to this happening?
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post

Dizzixx

1470 posts
Member since Oct 2005
so I was taking a look at what rodney had just to see if he might be of help when I saw this-

from the Isuzu select arm rebuild kit page.

And I just connected the dots. It looks to me like the bracket that I brought home from the FWD car can in fact be used in the RWD application, it looks like GM used the existing bracket (or at least the one they used more of anyways) for the fiero. In the picture it would be the part connect to the larger bracket by the circled pieces. I understand that this probably doesnt make sense to most people I wish I could explain it better. I hope to test these finding when I get home. I can forsee one problem being that the small metal thing that catshed the rubber bushing may be on the wrong side. but I might be able to cut it off and weld it on the right side.
Synthesis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2007 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post
You really should not need to cut it and weld it. As long as it fits into place, and the finger engages the groove, and the pin allows it to pivot through the full range of motion without interfering, you should be OK.

My idea that I have posed to a vendor is to make one that has fingers on both sides of the bracket, extra strength, less likely to break.
Dizzixx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DizzixxSend a Private Message to DizzixxDirect Link to This Post
So after turning my brain on for the first time today I realized that in that last picture you can see exactly what I need. I dont need the whole bracket, It wasnt until know that I knew what I was looking for. Now I understand why everyone was confused when I asked what was on the other side.

In the picture I circled what I need. I need the small round top bolt. Thats all thats missing. Unless the sqaure piece that it screws into isnt part of the bracket in which case I would need that.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2007 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
Yes,my car is stll down. Unfortunatley, I am still driving it in 2 forward gears only. No reverse, only 3rd and 4th are operating. People behind me have a tendancy to curse at me when I am trying to accelerate from a red light. I sure appreciate your dilligence in finding an answer. From what I now understand, this missing part is available? But who has the kit? Let me know...

Sincerely,
Kevin J. Sullivan
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock