Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Saxman's 88 Formula Engine Replacement (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 
Previous Page | Next Page
Saxman's 88 Formula Engine Replacement by Saxman
Started on: 11-12-2007 06:18 PM
Replies: 267
Last post by: hookdonspeed on 03-12-2009 10:55 AM
Saxman

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought FieroRumor's 88 Formula. The paint is excellent, but a rod went through the oil pan before I bought it.

This is mainly for FieroRumor to keep track of his old ride - and for me to post a few questions.

First off, here is the car jacked up, getting everything unhooked:
This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Here is the problem - a rod punched a couple of holes in the back side of the oil pan:

After pulling the wheel well liners, I found a lot of old crust. It made a nice pair of piles on the ground...

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
Here are a few other shots from underneath:

Is this brake cable connector reusable?

Am I doomed after seeing this or will it still work?
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
After I disconnected everything, it was time to hit the cradle bolts. The front ones came loose after a while, but the rear ones just kept spinning in the frame, so... peek-a-boo...

For those who have not had the fun of cutting into the frame to loosen the top of a cradle bolt, here is what the bastard looks like when it is out. I had to cut to get to each rear nut.

and here is how the thin metal in the frame holds the nut down -pretty flimsy stuff:

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 11-12-2007).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
So, I am ready to lay her down on a dolly with a cherry picker, then take the front cradle bolts and and jack her high to roll the whole thing out from underneath.

Other specs on the car include (from FieroRumors sale post):
Body and paint looks good. Some frame rust (Surface rust typical of a NY car)
The alt and cat are fairly new
It has the Decah VDC Door Hinges (welded in)
The AC blows COLD
Stereo is decent. CD PLayer with Line in for Mp3 players... lights up red, matches the interior lights
The interior is in good shape, no issues with the corners of the dash, no hole in driver side seat, and the center console looks good...Carpet isn't a show acr, but it's not too bad. Headliner is intact. No sunroof leaks.
Power Windows work.
Windows are tinted, and in good shape.
No Transmission issues (auto).
Power door locks work.
Power trunk lock works.
Cruise control works.(well, when the ENGINE used to, anyway)
FieroStore slotted rotors and brake pads (less then 1,000 miles on 'em)
tires have 90% of their wear left.
Never been smoked in/ never ate bacon in it.
The driver side headlight is a bit "winky" sometimes (it opens and closes if you have the hood up - so a Dickman metal headlight gear kit came with the car)
He kept the hood for sentimental reasons. He had some nice artwork done on it.

My wife loves it (because she is not used to seeing a Fiero with nice paint). She wants it for herself when I am done.
More to come...
blackrams

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 229
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blackramsSend a Private Message to blackramsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Saxman:

never ate bacon in it.

You had me going till I read that part.

Actually, I just got through with that witch hat nut experience. You can either weld it back in to the frame or weld the nut to a piece of metal that will prevent the witch hat nut from spinning inside the frame rail. I personally don't have a preference. Nice project but, I'm still betting that there was bacon eaten inside it.

------------------
Ron

Never, never do anything or wear things that you don't want to have to explain to Paramedics, it can get very embarrassing. They talk!

[This message has been edited by blackrams (edited 11-12-2007).]

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
If it was me I would look for another cradle. Keep the pictures coming!
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
You need a hobby. Why not take up a musical instrument?
j/k
Dave
mcaanda

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 129
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mcaandaSend a Private Message to mcaandaDirect Link to This Post

Holy chits - no wonder you Midwest guys want to buy the West Coast cars! I dont think that I have ever seen rust like that on...well, anything!

GL w/ the rebuild!

--Allen

------------------
And it begins again...

[This message has been edited by mcaanda (edited 11-12-2007).]

tjm4fun

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 141
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
that cradle looks pretty bad, as that is where the struts are mounted. mine was not nearly that bad and was dirven on long island for almost it;s whole life. I had one rust hole near the mount, and wleded in a piece to repair it, but it looked no where near as bad as that.
you need to at least "cable wheel" it clean with a grinder to be sure, but I would look for a better shape cradle.

as for the e brake piece, it is probably useable but for under 10$ I would get a new one from the fierostore. for ebrake cables, the wagner ones on rockauto worked fine and are hlaf (or more) the price of the fierostore ones, and are the same thing.
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post

Am I doomed after seeing this or will it still work?

Wow. How can a car look so nice outside and so screwed underneath. I have seen thing like that only on the junkers around here. Don't take me wrong. It is that where I come from that type of rust damage is kind of unknown. Hope you can fix it.
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Yeah - thanks for all the replies you guys. I think I'll check around for a cradle, but I don't think there are many around DC. I'll hit that arm with the wire wheel and see what's underneath when the cradle comes out. Know of any good cradles in Florida? I'm a Fla boy myself, so this kind of rust is a surprise. Kind of like when I found out that when you move away from central Florida, things freeze when you leave them outside all year.

The witch-hat nuts don't have much of a clean surface to weld to, but I'll have to dig around in there to see for sure. I was just happy to get those damn bolts out. It took my entire afternoon.

Musical instruments .. funny, Dave. Each time I think I have an easy project, it turns into a lot of work. I don't have time to improve my musical skill!

Thanks, TJM. I'll pick up the eBrake bracket when I order more of the wheel well liner plastic hold-downs.

I was going to go do more on it tonight, but I need a rest and a beer. More to come.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
I just noticed on car-parts.com that the specs are different on 4-bangers and V-6 cradles. Will all of them not work on an auto V-6?
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskDirect Link to This Post
Andrew, call me you piece of man cake.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
The only difference is in the 4 cylinder automatic cradle.
It has an extra "shelf" on the left side for the goofy uni-mount bracket that the 4 cylinder automatic had.
The other engines and trannies will bolt up just fine. The extra shelf will not be in the way, but it can be ground off if you don't want it.
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2007 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RandomTask:

Andrew, call me you piece of man cake.

It's too late to bother you now, but I'll call some time tomorrow.

Raydar, thanks for the cradle info!
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post
Oh, forgot about the nuts fix.... weld a piece of flatstock to the long legs of the diamond base of the witch hat nuts, extend it past the point by about 3/4" . The stuff I used was some old flatstock from a bedframe I think, was about the same thickness as the nut base, and about 3/4" wide. was 2 years ago, so I don;t remember exactly. the longer pieces will keep it from spinning, and it will allow it to float so it can align with the bolt (that you will wire wheel clean and absolutley slather in neversieze, just like you will do to the inside of the nut.)
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 02:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tjm4fun:

Oh, forgot about the nuts fix.... weld a piece of flatstock to the long legs of the diamond base of the witch hat nuts, extend it past the point by about 3/4" . The stuff I used was some old flatstock from a bedframe I think, was about the same thickness as the nut base, and about 3/4" wide. was 2 years ago, so I don;t remember exactly. the longer pieces will keep it from spinning, and it will allow it to float so it can align with the bolt (that you will wire wheel clean and absolutley slather in neversieze, just like you will do to the inside of the nut.)

I'm guessing that you had to put the nut and flat stock in the frame before you welded it or did you just cut a bigger hole?

Thanks for the advice-
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I did to mine in my red 88:

They just rest inside the framerails and are now too long to spin.

I just removed the cradle from this car a few weeks ago and the bolts came out without issue!
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
OMG! I had no idea that arm was so rusted!

The E-brake was workin' when I had the car...and the body panels I removed only had some minor rust spots...I hope you don't find any more surprises!!!!

Good luck with the swap, and thanks for creating the thread...

-FR
tjm4fun

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tjm4funSend a Private Message to tjm4funDirect Link to This Post

I'm guessing that you had to put the nut and flat stock in the frame before you welded it or did you just cut a bigger hole?

Thanks for the advice-

just slid it in one of the holes in the framerail, further back.
PFF
System Bot
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post
these are the junkyards i could find that had some 88 fiero's that are somewhat near you

BTW im not sure they have a cradle, you'd have to call and check
all 88 cradle's can be made to work on a v6 car, the auto 4cyl's just had that small shelf welded on, but it can easily be removed.

http://www.condonsautoparts.com/

http://www.chucksusedautoparts.com/
http://www.chazsusedautopartsofyork.com/
http://www.jimmiesauto.com/
sorry thats the only one remotely close i could find,

hope you the best of luck.

matthew

[This message has been edited by m0sh_man (edited 11-13-2007).]

blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2007 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
I'm enjoying the thread Sax, keep up the nice work! Sounds like you got lucky and found a good wife
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by blakeinspace:

I'm enjoying the thread Sax, keep up the nice work! Sounds like you got lucky and found a good wife

Thanks!

You could say 'I scored!'
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
Thanks, MoshMan. I couldn't find any in their listings, but the search will go on. Cheers to you!
m0sh_man

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for m0sh_manSend a Private Message to m0sh_manDirect Link to This Post

Thanks, MoshMan. I couldn't find any in their listings, but the search will go on. Cheers to you!

make sure to call them, alot of them will only list the easy to pull parts, i did searches for 88 control arms or brake calipers and came up with those locations.

matthew
Francis T

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Dang, looks more like a close up of something on the Titanic!

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Friend of mine found one at Kickhill farm ( cradle )

http://www.kickhill.com/fiero.html

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 11-14-2007).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
We did check around this car and it was hidden on the cradle behind the wheel - and hard to see. It was a great deal, so this is not a deal-breaker or anything. So far, the rest of the car's steel looks good. I can't wait to get her back on the road. Chris is sending extra stuff, too, so that helps!

Back to the work: as of tonight, the cradle is resting on the dolly, so the car comes up off it next. Wahoo! Garage time is so theraputic. I feel like I've had an entire weekend, but it was only 2 hours under the car.

(Robert2 - I took off your quote. Thanks for reposting with some helpful info I appreciate it)

[This message has been edited by Saxman (edited 03-02-2008).]

Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Sorry for that
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2007 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
It's cool. I'm on my way back out to discover more under the car...
PFF
System Bot
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
More has been discovered. I showed the headlight covers to Lildevil and he showed me that it was not original paint. There was overspray on top of the old paint around the edges of the cover. I guess he is checking to see if it matches the 88 paint code, because the cover matches the rest of the car.

I tried to get a paintable hood from the salvage yard, and even found a red 87 with a few scratches on it, but no damage that went into the fiberglass (paint code is close, but not a perfect match for the 88 color). When the yard-tech pulled it, he crushed the back corners. It must have hit the ground too hard or something, so I couldn't use it. Bummer - and it was only $100!

I'm still in search of a hood...

I'll be back in the garage to start lifting the body off of the rear cradle tonight...
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
too bad we are too far we have around ten hoods here but i think the shipping price will be too high
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
I may have a decent hood here, but you'd have to pick it up. I will only cost you dinner and a few beers at Applebee's.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (wife's toy), 1986 SE soon to be VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

[This message has been edited by bmwguru (edited 11-15-2007).]

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2007 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:

too bad we are too far we have around ten hoods here but i think the shipping price will be too high

Thanks, but I think you are right, Robert 2. There must be some hoods around here!

And thanks, Dave (bmw). The friggin' tolls getting up there make shipping a thought! If I can't find something decent closer, I may have to come get one. The beers are a gimme, since I owe you a few regardless!
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
The cradle is half way up now. I need to be careful lifting until that AC compressor is clear. No pulled off wires yet! Whew...
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2007 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
I'm trying to get the pass side spring to let go ( https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/087644.html ) but it is really hanging up somehow...
Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post
Got it out! Here is what I posted on the other thread...

OK, here it is - my ugly mug in the engine bay. It's tough to hit the time-delay on the camera, duck under the car and stand - all withing 7 seconds (with my big azz). Should I send it in to "Am I Hot or Not.com"?

I finally got that bastard-of-a-cradle out. The top of the strut assembly was hanging up on a small lip (lower pic). I can't believe that was enough to lift the passenger side of the cradle/engine off the dolly, but it was. I had to pry hard on it as the arm was lowered. "Sumb*tch" came to mind quite a few times.

Here's the lip that was hanging out - catching the top of the strut. You can see the shiny part 3-4 inches below the bolt hole) where it kept hanging up:

Saxman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SaxmanClick Here to visit Saxman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SaxmanDirect Link to This Post

Saxman

5151 posts
Member since May 2005
Thanks, Robert 2. I'll have to check what Kick Hill's price is - plus shipping. I have a line on 3 of there here, so we'll see what happens. At least it's out now...
Robert 2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-23-2007 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
You're welcome and glad you took it out
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 7 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock