how much did it cost to paint? by ethan555
Started on: 07-29-2008 04:13 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: ethan555 on 07-30-2008 07:58 PM
ethan555

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
So yeah i'm looking at getting my fiero painted. I'll be taking it somewhere local because i dont have the know how or equipment to do it myself.

Can anyone out there tell me how much it costed them?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
you don't really want to know.
Dave

------------------

1987 GT (my toy-see above), 1987 GT (wife's toy), 1986 SE soon to be VR6, certified master technician/shop owner
www.njautobahn.com

Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bmwguru:

Dave

Especially since it was gay.

I love the paint you had done, however your wife is hilarious.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Lower priced places have a few diff tiers of quality. Maaco for example 'will' paint it all over one color for $250. They do mediocre prep in sanding and masking. You can go up to about $600 and get a decent job. Other body shops can be as little as $1,000 to as high as $3k-$4k. You have to find a balance with your finances and acceptable quality for yourself. My personal experience getting used cars sprayed at Maaco is fine with me doing all the prep sanding and masking and removing parts.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 40+ years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Approved

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post
My orange and black "gay" car was done as a show quality finish. I just had my gold car painted at Maaco and as I swore, I did NO prep whatsoever. I dropped it off complete and told them I wanted real paint and real prep. It was about $2200 and it came out excellent.
Dave
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
hahaha yeah i guessed i wouldn't lol

Dave

ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post

ethan555

275 posts
Member since Jul 2008
yeah i that sounds about right

i'm planning on painting it solid black and i think i could do some of the sanding and masking myself to save money.

i wander if it would be better to just remove the body and have them paint it in pieces?

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

Lower priced places have a few diff tiers of quality. Maaco for example 'will' paint it all over one color for $250. They do mediocre prep in sanding and masking. You can go up to about $600 and get a decent job. Other body shops can be as little as $1,000 to as high as $3k-$4k. You have to find a balance with your finances and acceptable quality for yourself. My personal experience getting used cars sprayed at Maaco is fine with me doing all the prep sanding and masking and removing parts.

Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
My job hit $2600 today. I also had them do some molding on the scoops I installed along with prime and some other minor body work. There are a few flaws but I don't care since its a DD. Just can't wait to get it back on Friday.

Ryan
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
All depends how much money you want to spend,I paid $360,but if you need body work then the price can go higher.If you have cracked paint in the front bumper or rear bumper.You will want to have that repaired or filled because even those hair line cracks will show up later,after the car has been painted (the paint will shrink into the hair line cracks).Other options are,perl,metal flake and custom graphics like ghost flames,(shows up when the sun is just right) the UV clear coat is a must have.(.Get the job done on sale and save some big bucks.I agree with rogergarrison.I wouold say after taxes and the UV clear coat $360 all the way up to a whopping $10,000 if you got money to burn.They will ask you if you want the door sills painted for an extra $50 to $60 each or you car do it your self,the old rattle can way.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 07-29-2008).]

85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post
where is this maaco located? any in or near Michigan?

I repainted my car myself and counting supplies to build sealed plastic room and paint it was about $500. I never sanded the spot around the sunroof good enough, plus I didn't buff before clear coat, so it could need new paint. My dad also has a 1978 silver anniversary vette that needs new paint and it sounds like that would be a good place to get it done...two tone (grey, silver), with pin striping decal kit separating. I assume that if I had sanded better around the sunroof and buffed before clear coat it would look a lot better, but for the price you can't really beat having them do it.
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
Did it myself.
Wholesale Automotive Paints in Joplin. Picked up a few items:

Got a quart of viper red & a quart of maroon.

Plus a quart of clear, some reducer, a water trap, 2 rolls of masking tape and a couple to tack cloths.

A couple of measuring containers, a few mixing sticks & filters free.

Not bad.

Plus the cost of a DA sander, paper & flexible epoxy.

from https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/052684.html
PFF
System Bot
Francis T

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Francis TClick Here to visit Francis T's HomePageSend a Private Message to Francis TDirect Link to This Post
Even if youre not going to paint it yourself you can still prep it, which is most of the work and cost. Get a good book on how to paint cars etc and read up on preping a car. More elbow grease than anything.

------------------
[IMG]

Trueleo.com/fiero.htm
RSpiderII@aol.com

85fiero_fanat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85fiero_fanatSend a Private Message to 85fiero_fanatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Did it myself.

Plus a quart of clear, some reducer, a water trap, 2 rolls of masking tape and a couple to tack cloths.

Not bad.

have any problems with dust?
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2008 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
do you have any pics with it finished?

i really want to see it

i'm thinking i will do the sanding and priming myself

Originally posted by 30+mpg:

Did it myself.

Not bad.

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
brent jarvis, owner of performance restoratiosn in the chicago area told me for a show car quality paint job with just some basic paint would cost in the range of 6 thousand. pretty pricey, but worth it IMO. im looking a lot into different colors for my car. yellow is at the top. right next to getting the car all med metallic red PPG paint. that color works out so well. but i know for some PPG, its gonna be cha-ching!

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

Chris Hodson

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris HodsonSend a Private Message to Chris HodsonDirect Link to This Post
$150
Fiero_Fan_88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 101
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_Fan_88Send a Private Message to Fiero_Fan_88Direct Link to This Post
I myself did all the prep work which ran me about $40 for sand paper and other little stuff. Then it was $1200 for all my paint supplies and because a good friend of ours painted it, it only cost me $300. But honestly I think you would be better off borrowing a friends gun and doing it yourself. It wont cost you anything and the lighter the color the more mistakes you can make. And if you do mess up, go get yourself more sand paper. That and at the end of the day you can say "yea, I did that"

------------------

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I haven't got the final bill yet, but the rough estimate was around $2,900 with a 2008 Caddy Crystal Red Tricoat. All panels except the roof and fastback clip were removed, prepped, painted, sanded and polished. They're supposed to have it back together in a couple days. With some extra little items that have popped up I expect a final bill of between $3,000 and $3,500. I've been told that this is also pretty cheap for the level of paint job that we're getting. But it's also a fellow (autocross) club member doing the work. So keep that in mind too.

If you want it disassembled for painting, it won't be cheap. There's lots more labor involved in R&R as well as actual application of the paint.

Pics are here: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/070751.html
The picture of the rear bumper is probably the best as far as getting the actual color and quality captured on a cell phone camera.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
dudeus did his himself. i dont remember what he said he paid for everything. looks better than i could do! kudos to ya man.

------------------
1987 Fiero GT built by my brother, merlot566jka, 3500 LX9 from 06 Malibu, WOT-TECH.com 1280 grind stage 3 cam, LS6 valve springs, 1227730 ECM conversion, Darrel Morse solid aluminum cradle mounts, Truleo headers modified to fit the 3500, 36# inectors, 70mm 4.3 throttle body adapted to 3500 intake, ported heads, upper and lower intakes, lightly polished, tcemotorsports.com crank trigger wheel, CenterForce dual friction clutch, Flowtech Afterburner muffler, 2.5" piping, cat deleted, EGR deleted, SinisterPerformance tuning, C6 Corvette exhaust tips. projected to be 35 MPG with a guesstimate of 250 hp to the wheels

bmwguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

brent jarvis, owner of performance restoratiosn in the chicago area told me for a show car quality paint job with just some basic paint would cost in the range of 6 thousand. pretty pricey, but worth it IMO.

My show job was five figures, but they had to repair a lot of scratches I put in when I tried to prep it. They also did some custom fiberglass work and bumper repair. That was why I vowed to never attempt to prep a car again. I'll stick to what I know.
show quality job:

Maaco:

Joe 1320

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
I was just quoted $2K for a decent job albiet from a good aquaintance that's giving me a cash discount. Normally it would be about $2800 for a strip and redo.
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I spent $1300 in 1996 at my Pontiac dealer. The car was used as a fill in project for the body shop over the winter. About two years ago I had the nose and new chin spoiler painted at a shop in Florida and it was $400. Both jobs were very good quality. Good paint jobs by experienced painters can get pricey.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Try and find out how long the painter has been working there (at the shop).
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Everyone should also remember that no ones going to spend $4000 for a paint job on a driver they bought for $1,000
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post

ethan555:do you have any pics with it finished?...

Yeah, the red one in the avatar to the left or click on the link in my above post for lots of pics.
ethan555

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ethan555Send a Private Message to ethan555Direct Link to This Post
wow thats really nice

My show job was five figures, but they had to repair a lot of scratches I put in when I tried to prep it. They also did some custom fiberglass work and bumper repair. That was why I vowed to never attempt to prep a car again. I'll stick to what I know.
show quality job:

Maaco:

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock