Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3800, what muffler sounds decent (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
3800, what muffler sounds decent by Jrgicehc
Started on: 02-21-2008 07:03 PM
Replies: 46
Last post by: Fieronum6 on 03-11-2008 12:13 PM
Jrgicehc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
so its time for me to start planning my exhaust for my 3800SC. i have stock manifolds and i want to run a 3 inch pipe off the manifolds and run it into a f-body muffler to split it into 2, 2 1/2 pipes to go out the back. my question is what f-body mufflers sound good on our motors. if anyone has any sound clips of what they are running that would be cool to.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Billybo455

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
i have the biggest magnaflow they offer in f body style and with my pacesetters it's loud as hell when you give it some gas. it's got a unique sound for sure. i'm still out of town so i can't get any video. search my name on youtube and you'll get two autox's to hear how it kind of sounds.
craigsfiero2007

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
Is it your Supercharged Fiero with that muffler on it. The Supercharged Fiero sounds amazing.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
yes it is. i have video from roeblind raceway i'm editing up to host up. look for that after this weekend.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
I run a Flowmaster single in/single out on my modded 3800SC. While it sound great at idle and rolling into it, once I go WOT, it sounds like complete azz. I have yet to hear a 3800SC sound good while at WOT. When I had my stock 3800SC with WCF headers attached to a catless Borla, it also had a nice sound to it until I went WOT. The problem with the exhaust is that it is just so short.
black88fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for black88fieroSend a Private Message to black88fieroDirect Link to This Post
MstangsBware do you have a pic of your exhaust

------------------
Parts for your FWD GM 97-07
Morad Parts Company
Moradpartscompany

Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
billybo455, your car sounds sick from inside, do you remember what specific magnaflow you have?
Winkie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
I am in the same situation. I was thinking flowmaster, spintec, or magnaflow. Anyone have any good/bad info about these?

Ryan
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
does spintec make an f-body style muffler?
sYkboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sYkboySend a Private Message to sYkboyDirect Link to This Post
What about a Dynomax superturbo for the f-body? I am in the same boat and thinking of trying one. Pretty inexpensive too.
James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
Spintech X-flow muffler. Attached is a Youtube link to my L67 3800SC 88'GT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5rd_Z9l2k

I've gotten many complements on this exhaust system. It's 2 1/2" with a Magnaflow cat and WCF longtube headers. Tailpipes are 2" so I could re-use the stock exhaust tips. It's not too loud, but it's louder than the stock Fiero exhaust. Stay away from Flowmaster. They make the 3800 sound like crap. I've yet to hear a good Flowmaster/L67 system.
PFF
System Bot
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bondo:

Spintech X-flow muffler. Attached is a Youtube link to my L67 3800SC 88'GT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5rd_Z9l2k

I've gotten many complements on this exhaust system. It's 2 1/2" with a Magnaflow cat and WCF longtube headers. Tailpipes are 2" so I could re-use the stock exhaust tips. It's not too loud, but it's louder than the stock Fiero exhaust. Stay away from Flowmaster. They make the 3800 sound like crap. I've yet to hear a good Flowmaster/L67 system.

I like the sound of that too. You can hear the whine of the supercharger too.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by craigsfiero2007:
I like the sound of that too. You can hear the whine of the supercharger too.

I cant...

Just about every exhaust sounds the same, at least to any untrained ears (which is everyone who your going to show your fiero to), so really no one exhaust is going to make the sound your looking for.

The magnaflows have significantly more "ass sound" when wide open, I think the chamber style mufflers help the wide open as significantly as possible, but increase the drone a bit.

I suggest either muffler, but the magnaflow is $100+ compared to 40-60 that you can get a chamber muffler for. I think the chambered muffler shows off the blower a bit more than the magnaflow, but Its most likely because I sit in the driver seat in the chamber muffler car, and the passenger seat in the magnaflow car.
craigsfiero2007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for craigsfiero2007Send a Private Message to craigsfiero2007Direct Link to This Post
You should be able to hear the whine of the supercharger without changing the muffler, you don't hear the whine of the supercharger thought the exhaust, it comes from the supercharger itself. I could hear the one off my 2002 GTP and it was all stock with the exception of the bigger pulley for the supercharger, then I could really hear it whine.
Billybo455

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 06:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Billybo455Send a Private Message to Billybo455Direct Link to This Post
when i get back in town tomorrow (been 3 f'ing weeks) i'll do some video for you of the outside of my car. i was leaving the local car hangout and i floored it out until about a hundred. well one of my buddies was eating about a half mile down the road and called me. he was standing outside said he heard a v6 sounding car and a whine of a supercharger. needless to say i was pretty stoked. i was also driving away from him.
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Billybo455:

when i get back in town tomorrow (been 3 f'ing weeks) i'll do some video for you of the outside of my car. i was leaving the local car hangout and i floored it out until about a hundred. well one of my buddies was eating about a half mile down the road and called me. he was standing outside said he heard a v6 sounding car and a whine of a supercharger. needless to say i was pretty stoked. i was also driving away from him.

alright thanks alot, im looking forward to hearing it
30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
How many decibels do you really desire? Anything over a constant 90 is not good.

What did you say??

If you want really loud try this muffler

blown!!

[This message has been edited by 30+mpg (edited 02-22-2008).]

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
I have a flowmaster 80 on mine, and the blower can be heard very clear and distinct over the engine when I step on it. I really like the sound at idle and when I open it up.

The car is going to be out of pocket for the next few weeks so I can not get a sound clip.

BTW, I switched from a dual tube type of muffler setup to the current flowmaster, and it is a definite difference in sound. I could NOT hear the blower with the tube muflers, but can with the flowmaster. The flowmaster sounds smoother and more even, if that makes any sense.

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Did anybody ever try Borla mufflers? They have a Pro-XS line, which is cheaper, but has the same internals as the regular ones.
babyboy761

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for babyboy761Send a Private Message to babyboy761Direct Link to This Post
have a Flowmaster on mine as well. It is a little loud but it sounds good. I have yet to dive it. Redoing my Clutch on it. But I hope to drive it tomorrow.
multmigs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for multmigsSend a Private Message to multmigsDirect Link to This Post

Yes they do and there is a guy on Ebay who is dealer for them, I got a Xflow single 3" in and dual 2.5" out for a late Camaro and its about $100 with shipping, I can get you the part # later if you like but the company itself has a decent website, go search...
PFF
System Bot
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Not to hijack.. But, is there a reason for the dual outs, or is it cosmetic? I'm mainly curious. If you do a single 2.5 piped system, or a 2.5 system with dual outs on the muffler will you see a different in performance on the 3800?
War Hammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2008 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for War HammerSend a Private Message to War HammerDirect Link to This Post
Right now I just have resonator tips (how it came). It sounds nice and throaty. I will be going with a set of cherry bombs and dual tip resonators (I hope it keeps the same sound just quiter).

Paul

------------------
1988 Fiero
3800SC Series 1 w/5spd
Coilovers
18's w/Pirellis
Corvette Dash Mod

1985 GT
1986 Notchie
1987 Notchie

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by smartaxel:

Not to hijack.. But, is there a reason for the dual outs, or is it cosmetic? I'm mainly curious. If you do a single 2.5 piped system, or a 2.5 system with dual outs on the muffler will you see a different in performance on the 3800?

Cheaper, easier, quieter than a single 3 inch out. I like the look of my dual exhaust too.

Doing a 2.5 inch exhaust on a 3800sc is a waste.
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by multmigs:

Yes they do and there is a guy on Ebay who is dealer for them, I got a Xflow single 3" in and dual 2.5" out for a late Camaro and its about $100 with shipping, I can get you the part # later if you like but the company itself has a decent website, go search...

i went on the spintech website and i couldnt find the muffler for sale alone, i assumed they must have one because they have the camaro catback. but thanks for the answer il look on ebay and see if i can find one.
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2008 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Jrgicehc

901 posts
Member since Dec 2006
Hooker aero chamber.... anyone put one on / heard one on a 3800? my friend has one along with a full exhaust and cam on his TA and it sounds awsome.
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
BUMP for new info

joebaldie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joebaldieClick Here to visit joebaldie's HomePageSend a Private Message to joebaldieDirect Link to This Post
i have the spintech on my 3800sc i think it soiunds great wcf headers freeflow cat 2 1/2 inch exhaust with dual tips will post video on youtube when car gets back from body shop
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
i am using a flowmaster 80 series 1 in 2 out. 2 1/2" with resonator tips and it sounds good to me. It is still loud but quiet enough to talk to the person next to you with no problem.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I have two moroso spiral flow mufflers on my 3800sc and it sounds like crap at anything above idle. Idle sounds awesome though, lol.
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2008 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
Has anyone used hot tips along with a muffler or with out? I was thinking of a spintec with the hot tips but I don't want my car to be quiet I like it loud. But not so loud the cops harass you.

Ryan
PFF
System Bot
James Bondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James BondoSend a Private Message to James BondoDirect Link to This Post
If you're interested in a Spintech Splitcase muffler (F-Car x-flow type), here are the various sizes they sell:

http://www.spintechmufflers...ch/spintechindex.asp

If you want a good price, send this guy an e-mail: stusax@aol.com
His name is Joe.

Joe is located in California, his prices are great and he ships real quick. I've purchases three mufflers from him so far and I highly recommend him as a Spintech source.

[This message has been edited by James Bondo (edited 02-26-2008).]

ignorant prodigy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2008 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ignorant prodigySend a Private Message to ignorant prodigyDirect Link to This Post
I use edelbrock sdt edl-55763 from Summit.

Sounds decent.. but I suggest trying to find as quiet as a muffler as you can w/o hurting performance.. because the sound of these cars is not very appealing

------------------

87GT
Massachusetts
ignorantprodigy@aol.com

Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2008 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
bump for any sound clips
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
well i guess il try whatever i think i can make work when i get the car running, il post up some video / sound clips when im done
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-05-2008 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
How about glass packs?

http://videos.streetfire.ne...d3d-99bea8ebc365.htm

Sounds half decent.

Ryan
blkpearl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2008 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blkpearlClick Here to visit blkpearl's HomePageSend a Private Message to blkpearlDirect Link to This Post
Ryan or anyone else know the details of the Red Fiero sound file?

I like the glass Packs, or is that one glass pack muffler? Did this car have headers on it also?
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post
Not sure I believe when I saw it at Carlisle it had two glass packs. Thats all I know.

Ryan
Winkie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WinkieClick Here to visit Winkie's HomePageSend a Private Message to WinkieDirect Link to This Post

Winkie

1159 posts
Member since Feb 2007
Billybo455

Any details on your exhaust?

Ryan
ETC/GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2008 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ETC/GTSend a Private Message to ETC/GTDirect Link to This Post
I have the single chamber Flowmaster on my 3800II SC swap. I bought the car with the muffler already installed. Its just the Flowmaster with no cat. It sounds like CRAP. I absolutely hate it. Im looking for a different exhaust myself. Has anyone thought about Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers. I had a set on a Mustang and an Eldorado ETC before and it sounded pretty good and mellow on the Caddy (probably due to the 32 DOHC). Ive thought about this muffler with dual resonated tips to give it a Exotic sound if possible. I had 2 HKS mufflers (yes the rice style) on my 3.4 DOHC swap on my old GT. I didnt think a Flowmaster or other mufflers like it would sound good. It sounded exotic at idle and had no screaming ricer sound at WOT. Has anyone had the fart cannons on their 3800SC like the ones I had on my DOHC 3.4?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock