Big 3 Upgrade... Ground wires by JZeFF
Started on: 01-23-2008 12:00 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Pyrthian on 01-24-2008 08:52 AM
JZeFF

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JZeFFSend a Private Message to JZeFFDirect Link to This Post
Im looking to replace all the major ground wires on my car... Car audio people call them "The big three"
Battery to alt... And to be honest i dont know the rest.... haha

I have heard replacing the ground wires can do alot of good...
My problem is that i dont know where the wires are to be replaced... and better yet what gauge wire or type of wire to replace them with. Does anyone have some scans that show the major ground wires? Or a picture...
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Its an 85 duke btw....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I think there's a diagram of all the ground points in the service manual. Don't have mine to hand right now tho

There's one here for an 86, probably very similar.

http://spad.sytes.net/fiero/manuals/

[This message has been edited by ltlfrari (edited 01-23-2008).]

86GT3.4DOHC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 306
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86GT3.4DOHCSend a Private Message to 86GT3.4DOHCDirect Link to This Post
Are you having problems with something? You're going to see an improvement or power gain just from replacing ground wires. If you're having a miss or odd engine problem, sometimes adding a ground can help, particularly if your old ones are missing or corroded. It is true resistance can increase in a wire with heat time and corrosion, but replacing battery wires isnt exactly routine maintance. Check the ends for strain breaks and clean corrosion and you'll be fine.

Replacing the wires isnt going to do much more than just cleaning the connections would. The problems usually occur where the connections are, moisture gets in there and corrodes the metals. If you're really desprate, just add a ground from the battery to the strut tower.

The main wires you need to be concerned with are the following
Ground from battery to engine. This is on the front head on the V6 ?4cyl
Main power from engine to starter
Power from battery to distribution block on the right rear fenderwell (just below C500)
Power connection on the alternator. There is also a soildered splice about 8" up from the alternator connection, Ive seen this corrode out.
I think there is another ground off the battery too.

If you really need to, there is also a main cocpit ground under the center console, on the passenger side a little up from the rear firewall.

[This message has been edited by 86GT3.4DOHC (edited 01-23-2008).]

Indyrestoration

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IndyrestorationSend a Private Message to IndyrestorationDirect Link to This Post
I also would like to replace the ground wires on my 84 Indy. Where are the main groud wires on the 84. I have replaced the one from the top of the motor to the decklid hinge. Also, what is the best way to reach the one mentioned in the last post, under the center consul.

Eric
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
BATT TO ALT BLOCK TO FRAME FRAME TO BATT
JZeFF

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JZeFFSend a Private Message to JZeFFDirect Link to This Post
Ummm, what gauge wire should i use? Is there something special i need?
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post
8-16 gauge wire would be fine for the grounds. I'd use 4 gauge wire for the hot ends.
Emc209i

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
User Banned

Report this Post01-23-2008 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Emc209iSend a Private Message to Emc209iDirect Link to This Post

Emc209i

3091 posts
Member since Apr 2005

Originally posted by JZeFF:

Is there something special i need?

No, anything that conducts.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Direct Link to This Post
As much current passes through grounds as it does the pos. if going to upgrade atleast go to a 4awg on grounds or not bother. I have 2 awg grounds on mine.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043240.html

[This message has been edited by $Rich$ (edited 01-23-2008).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2008 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
There is one between the headlight and the fender on both sides of the car. These grounds let the fan work, and is also the ground for the lights on each of its side of the car
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2008 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by $Rich$:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/043240.html

thanks - I was looking for this thread.
could not remember keywords to search for

and, another for the "+" lines:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-065518.html

excellent thread about replaceing the grounds AND the fusable links.
new grounds, fusable links, and a CS alternator will do wonders for these little cars. it will actaully smooth out the idle. brighten your headlights. get you windows up & down quickly. get your wipers to go faster. make your battery last longer & be stronger.

that thread should be stickied

[This message has been edited by Pyrthian (edited 01-24-2008).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock