Started on: 07-21-2007 03:24 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: madcurl on 04-15-2008 02:08 PM
PaulJK

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Since I was already working on cooling (reference for the archives):

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084323.html

I thought I'd look into upgrading the radiator fan, especially since I got a few good responses to another post I made. Specifically the reasons were:

1. My A/C just wasn't getting cold enough for me and a 10 inch fan for the condensor only covered the center of the condensor;

2. my stock fan blade slightly rubbed the shroud as it coasted down when the car was shut off (i suspect the plastic got slightly deformed by the heat over time);

3. New fans can pull more air with less current draw.

I chose the Perma-Cool PRM-19115 16 inch fan from Summit: http://store.summitracing.c...006+115&autoview=sku

Notice the 2950 CFM at 9.8 amps I don't know what the specs on the stock fiero fan are. This PermaCool fan comes pre-configured as a "puller" so you Do Not need to change the blade since it is being mounted on the back of the radiator.

[This message has been edited by PaulJK (edited 07-21-2007).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post
Start by unplugging the wiring pigtail then removing the (4) bolts that hold on the fan shroud; (2) top and (2) bottom. Remove the ones at the bottom first, so the fan and shroud doesn't drop and swing into the radiator when the last bolt is removed . Lift the assembly free.

Remove the fan motor plus blade by taking out the three screws holding the fan motor to the shroud. You can also remove the fan blade by removing the nut holding it to the fan motor [NOTE: the nut is a reverse thread - to loosen it, turn it like you would Normally" tighten ]

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
mister dremel tool does a nice job cutting through the plastic shroud to remove the center bracing that held the stock fan motor / blade

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
At this point you can either mount the fan directly to the radiator using the hold-downs (supplied with the fan) or mount it to the shroud. I chose to mount it to the shroud because it seemed easier and I just have a "thing" about pushing things through my radiator if I don't really have to .

Position the legs of the PermaCool fan so that they come close to the bolt holes in the shroud where support is maximum. When centered, the fan blades are about 1/8 inch from the edge of the shroud.

Loosen the nuts on the coolant over flow tank because it might need to slide over slightly to clear the fan brace. Re-mount the assembly to the radiator using the four bolts.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
The fiero wiring pigtail consists of a solid black wire and a black with red stripe. Anybdy guessing that the one with the red stripe would be the 12+ would be correct . I cut the wires to the correct length and used "female" terminals (10 / 12 guage wire) for the ends. Fan RED to the fiero wire with the RED stripe and BLACK to BLACK. Don't worry about current because the RED wire is not "live' while the car is OFF. I shrink-wrapped the crimps and puta small amount of conductor grease on the terminals. The terminals then slide onto the male ends in the fan's connector plug. I siliconned the open (back) end of the fan connector and will wrap the connection with electrical tape and wire ties to weather-proof and secure it.

PaulJK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 04:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PaulJKSend a Private Message to PaulJKDirect Link to This Post

PaulJK

6638 posts
Member since Oct 2001
The finished project looks like this

The PermaCool fan blows a LOT of air ! My A/C is definitely cooler and my temp guage reading has dropped 5 to 10 degrees. My stock fiero fan motor was about $40 from AutoZone. The PermaCool fan was about $130 (shipped) from Summit.

I think the aluminum fan looks MUCH better than the stock one. The project might look better with the fan mounted directly to the radiator, like FieroSound did his. Thanks to FieroSound and William Federle for sharing their experience.

InaneCathode

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InaneCathodeSend a Private Message to InaneCathodeDirect Link to This Post
You should try building a cowling for the fan that has a tiny amount of clearance, 1/16th of an inch around the ends of the fan blades. If you duct the fan it'd be way more efficient, and i have an inkling thats why pontiac put that ring around the stock fan, to increase efficiency.
Fiero1Fan

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 100
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero1FanClick Here to visit Fiero1Fan's HomePageSend a Private Message to Fiero1FanDirect Link to This Post
Nice job. Looks real good.
chrishahn87

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrishahn87Send a Private Message to chrishahn87Direct Link to This Post
Nice write-up!

I have actually been planning to do this soon anyway! I want a fan that has less of a draw than stock Fiero fan.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2007 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Looks Nice.

There is another version of that running around with an aftermarket fan in a modded shroud. It used one of the plastic caged jobs.

This one looks like the fan fits the shroud better. And you want the shroud BTW. It makes a major difference in fan efficiency. Allot of people eliminate it but they usually aren't helping themselves any doing so. In some vehicles it degrades cooling considerably when the shroud is gone.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurasic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...similar to what Fierosound did: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...030204-2-028411.html
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2008 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
bump

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock