Started on: 03-10-2005 07:46 PM
Replies: 161
Last post by: crzyone on 08-14-2008 06:16 PM
crzyone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Got alittle done today.

Finished up my fittings on the fuel rail, this is what the end result looks like. I will paint these fittings to match the rail. These will thread right into the stock fiero rubber fuel lines, doesn't get much easier than that.

I also spent some time burning the hairs off my arms, made my egr block off plates. They work, not real pretty but they are functional. I used blue gasket maker to seal off the plates.

I picked up my exhaust today, I will be running 2.25" mandrel bent true dual exhaust with 2 chamber mufflers. The magnaflow muffler I had on the 3.4dohc was too loud for my liking, had to pick suitable spots to open it up just so you don't wake up the town. The mufflers I picked up are chamber instead of the straight through design like the magnaflow was. Hopefully they sound all right.

Also picked up my LT1 fuel pump, cheapest I could find was $168 from Napa for anyone in Canada doing this swap.

No transmission yet, should be ready within the next few days.

IP: Logged
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2005 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Made your engine management decision yet?

Anything related to the stock Northstar computer is going to have heartburn when it doesn't find an EGR valve, even if EGR is disabled.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2005 01:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
If I get you to make it run with a 7730, could you delete the egr? I'm conflicted on what I'm going to use to run it. I should just go 7730 just so you can work out the bugs with my motor and it would be beneficial for anyone with a 2000+ N*

Pink_Ninja

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post04-27-2005 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pink_NinjaSend a Private Message to Pink_NinjaDirect Link to This Post
I found some good wiring diagrams for that computer to the fiero if you need them.

As far as the EGR is concerned im next to positive it can be disabled. If in doubt www.gmpcm.com would know.

[This message has been edited by Pink_Ninja (edited 04-27-2005).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Pink

Well I know how much I like seeing pictures, so I figured you guys must like them too.

Here is what $460 worth of exhaust looks like for my swap.

And my nice polished SS exhaust tips. I''ve always liked this style exhaust tip and I found them at a pretty good price for $60 each.

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 07-12-2006).]

Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post04-28-2005 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
Those are nic they are the only one that I ever liked I have a set but mine is black chrome.
befarrer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for befarrerSend a Private Message to befarrerDirect Link to This Post
Hey, are those magnaflow exhaust pipes? (not the mufflers). I used the same J-bend on my enigne swap, it is a very tight 180º bend. the exhaust shop here couldnt make a bend anywhere close to that, plus it wouldn't be mandrel bent.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
They are indeed Magnaflow, and cost $50 each. Mandrel bends are the only way to go if you plan on having a free flow exhaust system. This will be true dual 2.25", should support this engine fairly well. I'm hoping it will let the engine breathe too 350whp or so.

Master Tuner, There was a few different colors available, the Black Chrome were very nice but I thought the SS look would be better for my red car.

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
crzyone

Where are you getting your pipes from?

Nolan

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2005 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I get them from Tirecraft in town here, they order in mandrel bends and magnaflow mufflers.
fierogurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogurlSend a Private Message to fierogurlDirect Link to This Post
Hey! Looks like its coming along nicely Levi!

I'm glad you were happy with the deal I got you on the N*. You're just lucky that in the biz my familiy is in (scrap) that I know people that know people That was a lucky find though! Lol... I've probably had a dozen or so messages from others asking me for motors... guess they think I run a motor shop here! If I did, they wouldn't go for so cheap!

Just so the rest of you know (and so maybe I'll stop getting so many messages), we run a scrap yard. 90% of the cars we get go into the "shredder" because they are burned, stripped, and/or mangled beyond recognition. Once in a blue moon we get a car in decent shape - or usually the car is in terrible shape but I have a knack for recognizing undamaged motors! We run a very high volume yard, so Bob (the owner) won't let me tinker too much... but when I see something that I think I can make a quick buck on, I try to nab it and keep it aside. Unfortunately, I have to get rid of it quickly because we don't have that much spare room... unfortunately for me that is, because if I could sit on them longer I'd make more money

In this particular case, however... this wasn't one of ours anyway. Levi actually arranged to buy one off of me, but it had a bid of an accident in transit (we got insurance paid out on it, btw Levi - forgot to mention that... but we got more than you were going to pay for it! Aparantly our policy had a blanket rate of $2000 for "cartage loss"). As dumb luck would have it, a friend of mine had a friend of his ask me if I could sell his N* for him... and there it is! He wanted a lot more, but I felt bad for not getting mine to you so I had him hook you up! I have my ways

Anyway, I'm pretty busy these days catching up from time lost while I was on vacation so I won't get on to see this thread too often... but I hope it all works out for you! It has been very interesting following it so far. I'm glad it got a good home!

Brittany

PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2005 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, long story short, the truck that was delivering my N* kinda got hit by a semi. The truck and my motor went rolling down a hill, writing the truck and motor off. Luckily the driver was ok, a month or so later I managed to get this N*.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2005 01:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Some update pictures. I modified the getrag to fit on the N* and bolted it on so that I could start making mounts. Here is the area you have to grind in order to clear the starter.

I then welded in a new front crossmember and cut off the old one. You need the clearance for the oil filter and sensors on the front of the pan.

I put the suspension back on the cradle and positioned the engine/trani. I spent quite a bit of time today making my motor mounts. I will be solid mounting the engine and transmission.

Nothing is welded permanant yet but here is the beginning of the new rear mount

And one of the new front mounts in progress

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2005 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Just ordered my engine management for my motor. Its called "Big Stuff 3" and is made by the same guy that made the Holley Commander system. It comes with the wiring harness, plug and play like the 950.

They said they have 3 systems to run a 2003 N*

They had a Delphi system which can run a stock 2000+ N* only, non programable and a not so great wiring harness for $1300

They have a Electromotive Tec 3 that can run the 2000+ N* but the wiring harness sucks, just a box of wires for $2600

And the one I got, the best they have which chrfab makes the harnesses is the Big Stuff 3 which is fully programable $2600us. If you opt for the wide band option its an extra $300us, which I will probibly pick up when I start modding the engine.

By the time the new system gets to my door this will have cost me $3500-3700 canadian with taxes, duty and insurance, ouch!

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2005 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...hey, you mean your not done yet, thought you would have this on the road by now

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2005 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
This summer is crazy at work. Understaffed so I have been working a ton of hours. This swap is alittle more involved than the 3.4dohc.

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 07-24-2005).]

THE BEAST

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2005 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for THE BEASTSend a Private Message to THE BEASTDirect Link to This Post
crzyone,

Tell me about it!

Don't give up!
JG

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2005 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Here is a small update. Been pretty busy so the swap is being neglected.

Messed up on my other engine cradle, shouldn't have cut off the whole front crossmember, so I picked up another engine cradle and left the stock transmission mounting point. This is a bad picture, got alittle rusty after being sand blasted.

I ordered Rodney's HD getrag transmission brackets and poly transmission mounts. I also ordered his FWD getrag conversion kit. Here is the kit installed on the transmission, not painted yet.

I will update this furthur tonight, got alittle bit done today.

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 08-18-2005).]

Sourmug

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2005 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SourmugSend a Private Message to SourmugDirect Link to This Post
Aren't you done yet!!

It's looking good.

Nolan

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2005 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Heck no. The 3.4 was a breeze compared to this pig.

Well, the new engine cradle is painted all pretty and Rodney's poly transmission mounts installed with HD brackets.

With the transmission bolted to the cradle, I'm now ready to make my motor mounts. I waited until I had the transmission mounts so the motor was centered. This is where I stopped tonight. Will update whenever I get a chance to work on it again.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Well I ordered my motor mounts. I will be using 1984 Dodge truck motor mounts. They are alittle pricey, especially if you buy them from Mopar... 2 of them cost me $98. I will use 2 of them to support the weight of the motor and will use a dogbone to help take additional forces. Will update this on my next days off, I hope to have my motor mounts done within a week from now.
PFF
System Bot
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
awesome! I like the way you mounted the N* especially the front trans mount point being retained. Are you going to use the stock N* mount bracket on the frontside?

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 08-19-2005).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Can't take credit for it, I copied Will and it makes it so much easier to mount the motor in the long run. I like the idea of easy mount and bracket replacement as well.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2005 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Another great idea borrowed from Russ544. I modified my EGR block off plate so that I can take engine vacume from that location to run my brake booster hose. This will clean up the top of the TB quite a bit, once the stock brake booster and transmission vacume lines are removed. Thanks to Russ544 for the idea!

Need to clean this up a bit more, going to cut it down and grind off the threads as well. I just mounted it temporary for an idea how it looks.

Edit to add, I will be getting a 90* pipe to replace the straight one. It can be a bit smaller as well. Will be easy to fix, and look better instead of a vacume line comming down from the top.

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 08-19-2005).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2005 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Can't take credit for it, I copied Will and it makes it so much easier to mount the motor in the long run. I like the idea of easy mount and bracket replacement as well.

Awwww.... Spanks!

DelawareFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 139
User Banned

Report this Post08-30-2005 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DelawareFieroSend a Private Message to DelawareFieroDirect Link to This Post
bump
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Nothing to report. Been working solid, only a few days off. Saturday I'm going on a cruise, will be gone for another 9 days, so there won't be any updates for awhile.

t76racer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for t76racerSend a Private Message to t76racerDirect Link to This Post
Lookin good! keep it up.
What did you use to cut your trunk out? So that it has clean edges? Did you ever replace the bottom of it?
Have fun on the Cruise.
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 02:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I used my angle grinder. Was pretty tight in some areas. I did replace the bottom with a sheet of steel, but I plan on replacing it again with a sheet of aluminum, less prone to rust and lighter. I might actually just remove the rest of the trunk as well and weld in a crossbar. It will strengthen that area, and I don't use the trunk anyways. Will make working on the motor much easier and will make for more room when I install the turbo. I removed the spare tire and relocated the battery to under the headlight so I can use the front of the car for storage space.

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 08-31-2005).]

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2005 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post

crzyone

3571 posts
Member since Dec 2000
Well I lied, I got alittle done today before I go to work.

I managed to make my front engine mount, I'm fairly happy with the way it turned out. I will have a welding shop weld it to the cradle, not exactly a great welder myself. The rear mount should be alittle more tricky, have to watch out for the axel...

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2005 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Motor mounts are done. They don't look pretty now, but they will when they are painted.

I am not planning on using a dogbone so I made the rear mount to act like a torque strut as well as support the weight of the motor. I will observe how much the motor moves under load and see if I will need a dogbone or not.

I am now ready for a test for of the motor, and once it is in I will take the car to an exhaust shop and have them weld up my exhaust system.

PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2005 08:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Small update

Blue Shift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 04:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Blue ShiftSend a Private Message to Blue ShiftDirect Link to This Post
That's awesome. Did you have to trim/modify/remove anything else in the engine bay or is the DOHC right hinge chop all you need?
crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Only 1 clearance issue, the oil cap.

Its just touching the hinge, will need to trim another 1/2" or so on one side of the hinge to be able to take the oil fill off.

Nice to have the car back together, its ready to go to the exhaust shop.

------------------

Buy a fiero, become a mechanic
3.4 dohc Install
Sub Install
Northstar Install

Rickker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2005 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickkerSend a Private Message to RickkerDirect Link to This Post

Some update pictures. I modified the getrag to fit on the N* and bolted it on so that I could start making mounts. Here is the area you have to grind in order to clear the starter.

Don't forget to lubricate that clutch arm bushing, or replace it. Rodney has a tool for this. I failed to do this on my 3800SC swap, and have a problem with intermittent stiction in this area, which detracts from the pleasure of shifting gears.
...Rickker

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2005 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Well the computer arrived for my engine. Total cost of $3550 at my door. Comes with a wide band O2 sensor for self tuning. Will still have to go on a dyno for fine tuning afterwards. Here are some pics

This computer is to run a 2000+ N*. 1999 and earlier motors use a Holley Commander 950, if you want an aftermarket ecu.

Exhaust is getting done this friday, should be fun!

1fastcaddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2005 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fastcaddySend a Private Message to 1fastcaddyDirect Link to This Post
bump

------------------
Soon to be custom port fuel injected with Megasquirt! 4.5l and th-440 And Im only 18. think about when Im 30!!

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post

Its just touching the hinge, will need to trim another 1/2" or so on one side of the hinge to be able to take the oil fill off.

Why would you want to do that?

crzyone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Still lots of meat on that hinge to take off, not worried about the weight of the decklid.

Currently working on the exhaust, will have pictures tonight.

ryan.hess

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 319
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2005 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ryan.hessSend a Private Message to ryan.hessDirect Link to This Post
Yeah I know, what I meant was, why would you need access to that oil fill?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock